Opinion/Posturing/Baiting

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: Opinion/Posturing/Baiting

Beni gets the criticism for trolling and Babe gets a free pass, go figure.

Here's another prevalent fallacy, which is that you shouldn't be allowed to criticize Smiley unless you spend an equal amount of time criticizing Babe. This coming from a poster who preaches "ignoring" Babe and chastises others when they choose to engage him in convesation, and yet spends a great deal of time talking about Babe himself.

I'm aware of Babe and of his usual activities on this board, and I choose not to spend my time here following him around and attempting to refute him...I'd say I do a much better job of ignoring him than you do. By now everyone knows about Babe and about the fact that 90% of the time he's here to agitate and is better off left alone; but since you and Kimsaysthis are often reminding us that "This is a RED SOX board!" it seems only fitting that Beni, who claims to be a Red Sox fan, and who is a much more visible presence on the board than Babe nowadays anyway, should receive more attention and scrutiny.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

In Response to Re: Opinion/Posturing/Baiting:
    [QUOTE]Beni gets the criticism for trolling and Babe gets a free pass, go figure. Here's another prevalent fallacy, which is that you shouldn't be allowed to criticize Smiley unless you spend an equal amount of time criticizing Babe. This coming from a poster who preaches "ignoring" Babe and chastises others when they choose to engage him in convesation, and yet spends a great deal of time talking about Babe himself. I'm aware of Babe and of his usual activities on this board, and I choose not to spend my time here following him around and attempting to refute him...I'd say I do a much better job of ignoring him than you do. By now everyone knows about Babe and about the fact that 90% of the time he's here to agitate and is better off left alone; but since you and Kimsaysthis are often reminding us that "This is a RED SOX board!" it seems only fitting that Beni, who claims to be a Red Sox fan, and who is a much more visible presence on the board than Babe nowadays anyway, should receive more attention and scrutiny.
    Posted by Flapjack07[/QUOTE]

You forgot to respond to this:

Beni does bait but his OPs are often close to being reality such as:

Jeter is having a tough time at the plate.
    Jeter is overpaid.
    Yankee have many aging players.
    SI chooses Boston to take it all this year.
    Oddsmakers favor Red Sox.
    Red Sox won the Winter FA Sweepsteaks
    Lee snubs his nose at Yankees

All of the above were factually true.
    Beni enjoys adding hyperbole and humor to the facts.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiley-beni-2817. Show smiley-beni-2817's posts

[QUOTE]Is it baiting/posturing when one is proud of his team? Is it baiting/posturing when one points out the weaknesses of his opponent? If one bodly says that his team is going to win the championship is that wrong?(Joe Namath 1969)? But more importantly why do we take ourselves so seriously on this board? And why do some individuals feel so high and mighty on this forum when they should look in the mirror and see how foolish they are.For example we have a middle aged man with an avatar from a monster movie who is "really annoyed" with other posters? And we have an individual who claims he is the sheriff of this forum who attacks other posters? There are really serious problems in this nation and around the world. A boisterous blogger is the least of our troubles.

Is it baiting/posturing when one is proud of his team? Is it baiting/posturing when one points out the weaknesses of his opponent? If one bodly says that his team is going to win the championship is that wrong?(Joe Namath 1969)? But more importantly why do we take ourselves so seriously on this board? And why do some individuals feel so high and mighty on this forum when they should look in the mirror and see how foolish they are.For example we have a middle aged man with an avatar from a monster movie who is "really annoyed" with other posters? And we have an individual who claims he is the sheriff of this forum who attacks other posters? There are really serious problems in this nation and around the world. A boisterous blogger is the least of our troubles.
    Posted by fir.eballer58[/QUOTE]

Is it baiting/posturing when one is proud of his team? Is it baiting/posturing when one points out the weaknesses of his opponent?

And we have an individual who claims he is the sheriff of this forum who attacks other posters?

why do we take ourselves so seriously on this board? And why do some individuals feel so high and mighty on this forum when they should look in the mirror and see how foolish they are.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Beni does bait but his OPs are often close to being reality Posted by ChrisHouse

so what's your point

''are often close to being reality   '' LOL, if that's all that matters

aren't babes posts  ' more often close to being reality '

my problem with betty is when he's not '' often close to being reality ''

and misleads  / lies to  the kids of RSN

and won't defend what he says

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

[QUOTE] Beni does bait but his OPs are often close to being reality Posted by ChrisHouse so what's your point ''are often close to being reality   '' LOL, if that's all that matters aren't babes posts  ' more often close to being reality ' my problem with betty is when he's not  '' o ften close to being reality '' and misleads  / lies to  the kids of RSN and won't defend what he says
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

Beni and reality....thats good stuff!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opinion/Posturing/Baiting : You forgot to respond to this: Beni does bait but his OPs are often close to being reality such as: Jeter is having a tough time at the plate. Jeter is overpaid. Yankee have many aging players. SI chooses Boston to take it all this year. Oddsmakers favor Red Sox. Red Sox won the Winter FA Sweepsteaks Lee snubs his nose at Yankees All of the above were factually true. Beni enjoys adding hyperbole and humor to the facts.
    Posted by ChrisHouse[/QUOTE]
    I responded to what I felt was relevant. I don't go into every one of Smiley's threads to argue with him, and I've always maintained that he has a right to post whatever he wants to, so I don't see what purpose presenting me with a list of his past assertions is supposed to serve.

It goes without saying that hyperbole usually has a seed of truth to it - but truth and hyperbole are still very different things. If I post that Lowrie is off to a hot start and Jeter a cold one, then I'm posting facts; if I use those facts to argue that Jeter is done and Lowrie is now the best SS in the AL East, then I'm posting my opinion, which other people have a right to challenge and which I should be prepared to defend. Get it?

As I said, I don't have a problem with Smiley posting this type of stuff; I sometimes  call him on it when I think he goes overboard, but by and large I think his threads are harmless fun. My main issue, as I said before, is that he continually starts these threads but doesn't seem able or willing to take the heat for the claims he makes or to engage in real discussion of those claims - and that leads me to doubt his intentions.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

Just like you clowns have no idea if crawful and agoner will come around or if salt n pepa will actually ever become a major league catcher.

You are funny but we aren't in 7th grade.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FRGL27Rings. Show FRGL27Rings's posts

Saying my Yankees are going to win their 28th title this year is not posturing or baiting. 
    Go Celtics! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I enjoy reading posts started by Beni because it is amusing to see how many Yankee and Sox fans get caught up in taking these as serious.  On this board one cannot be considered a Sox fan if you say anything good about other teams,  however if you trash the Sox then you are considered a true Sox fan.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dangerfeld. Show Dangerfeld's posts

[QUOTE]I enjoy reading posts started by Beni because it is amusing to see how many Yankee and Sox fans get caught up in taking these as serious.  On this board one cannot be considered a Sox fan if you say anything good about other teams,  however if you trash the Sox then you are considered a true Sox fan.
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

I think that I understand your point. You are saying that Georom, Andrewmitch, BaseballDr, Bosox1941, Softlaw, Law, BaseballGm, Zillagod, Harv53, Bosox-11, and others without one good word for the Red Sox, are good Red Sox fans because they trash the Sox on every post 24 / 7. The others such as the two Jims, Breidy, Katz, Moonslav, Harness, Beni, Boomerang, Yoshimi, Kim, the Detroit guy, and others, are not good Red Sox fans because they normally refrain from bashing, scapegoating, being impatient, and displaying tantrums after each tough loss.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I always enjoyed the 3-ring circus.
    Here, there's much more to choose from.
    If ya don't like act #1, change threads and see act #12.
    It's almost as good as cable...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Opinion/Posturing/Baiting : Hey Jete, It's not that hard to disern who's posting real baseball comments and who's simply posting to raise the ire of one side or the other...We've got benny, you've got frank from Glouster...personally I don't open threads that either of the them start... What's funny is that both of them still get an inordinately large amount of hits on the threads they start, even though everone of them follow the same path...Why, I don't have clue?...I'd rather hit my thumb with a hammer.
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Spot on.  I don't up either one, but a lot of people do, so they must enjoy.  Like you, I'll choose the hammer on my thumb.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

[QUOTE]I always enjoyed the 3-ring circus. Here, there's much more to choose from. If ya don't like act #1, change threads and see act #12. It's almost as good as cable...
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Well put.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Is it baiting/posturing when one points out the weaknesses of his opponent?"

Pretty much. Your posts are definitely intended to rile up the Yankee fans on this board. I think they are fun to read but you might as well fess up to what you do. 

I enjoy your stuff and welcome your presence on this board. 

My beefs with you are: 

1. You can't handle criticism (when someone does criticize you, they must "lighten up" or they aren't a "real fan."

2. You maintain there is only one kind of Red Sox fan, one that is always anti-Yankees and one who thinks the Sox can do no wrong. 

3. You don't acknowledge your goal is to incite Yankee fans. (Why don't you dissect the other teams the Sox might face?)

4. You can't seem to root for the Sox without the needed context of their "enemy" (the Yankees). 

Other than that you're all kinds of fun! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]" Is it baiting/posturing when one points out the weaknesses of his opponent?" Pretty much. Your posts are definitely intended to rile up the Yankee fans on this board. I think they are fun to read but you might as well fess up to what you do.  I enjoy your stuff and welcome your presence on this board.  My beefs with you are:  1. You can't handle criticism (when someone does criticize you, they must "lighten up" or they aren't a "real fan." 2. You maintain there is only one kind of Red Sox fan, one that is always anti-Yankees and one who thinks the Sox can do no wrong.  3. You don't acknowledge your goal is to incite Yankee fans. (Why don't you dissect the other teams the Sox might face?) 4. You can't seem to root for the Sox without the needed context of their "enemy" (the Yankees).  Other than that you're all kinds of fun! 
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE] i guess it's because he once said, he won't criticize the Sox on their own board, he's entitled not to, i guess

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Mommy's alright, Daddy's alright, they just seem a little weird. Surrender, Surrender - but don't give yourself away. 

"Mama's got a squeezebox, Daddy doesn't sleep at all..."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

I dunno, jete.  The Internet tends to bring out the best and worst in all of us.  I think anyone who visits this, or any forum, must have a thick skin. They should also be aware that exchanges of this type can skew toward the emotional and the irrational. 

I enjoy reading the thoughtful ones, yourself included, but tend to let the nimrods roll off my back. Said nimrods - the passive/aggressive types, still living in Mom's basement - no need to raise your hands, guys, because you know who you are - take advantage of our common seriousness of purpose here. They rile us, get our hackles up, yank your chains.  Some of us fall into their traps.  It's how they get their thrills.  

It's really kind of sad.  They need to get out more.  We need to start a telethon so they can buy themselves some decent lives. Lord knows how they pay for their meds.

But I digress...

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opinion/Posturing/Baiting : On the flip side if our Yankee guests consider this to be their forum also then why don't they ever criticize the Yankees here? You are entitled to. Please go ahead and bash someone for giving Hughes a dead arm or calling out Joba on his inconsistency. Question Girardi on his handling of the bullpen like BaseballDr does here with Tito.   Start such threads and give us the pleasure of watching a pizzing contest among Yankee fans. If you expect Beni to be critical then we expect you to be critical of your team. Doesn't that make sense? Burrito and many others come here solely for entertainment and this would add to the three ring circus. Start a bash Jeter thread like our guys here like to bash Scutaro. Invent a Yankee poster who hates everyone on the team much like our Softlaw does. I think that it is a great idea. Invent a poster who claims that ARod is vastly overpaid much like our army of posters feel about Drew. It would really liven up the forum.
    Posted by Soxchemistry[/QUOTE]

I don't think its a good idea for Yankee fans to "invent" posters the way Beni has invented posters.  However it is inaccurate to think that Yankee fans on this forum do not recognize and discuss things that are weaknesses on the Yankees.  Maybe Babe doesn't, I don't know. I and other Yankee fans do recognize these weaknesses and discuss them when they are appropriate or come up in postings.  Beni only focuses on Yankee weaknesses and often distorts articles or stats to put together his little shtick.  Beni is entertainment as well as a troll and if he would want to be taken seriously as a poster on this forum he would do what many Yankee fans do here.....give the other team its due credit, discuss their weaknesses as well as recognizing the imperfections of the team he roots for.  Simply because this is a Sox forum does not mean that the Red Sox don't have weaknesses and they should be ignored.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from glumandrew. Show glumandrew's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opinion/Posturing/Baiting : On the flip side if our Yankee guests consider this to be their forum also then why don't they ever criticize the Yankees here? You are entitled to. Please go ahead and bash someone for giving Hughes a dead arm or calling out Joba on his inconsistency. Question Girardi on his handling of the bullpen like BaseballDr does here with Tito.   Start such threads and give us the pleasure of watching a pizzing contest among Yankee fans. If you expect Beni to be critical then we expect you to be critical of your team. Doesn't that make sense? Burrito and many others come here solely for entertainment and this would add to the three ring circus. Start a bash Jeter thread like our guys here like to bash Scutaro. Invent a Yankee poster who hates everyone on the team much like our Softlaw does. I think that it is a great idea. Invent a poster who claims that ARod is vastly overpaid much like our army of posters feel about Drew. It would really liven up the forum.
    Posted by Soxchemistry[/QUOTE]

You can go to a Yankee forum in New York called riveraveblues.com and get your fill of disgruntled Yankee fans bashing Girardi, Joba, and Jeter. They feel entitled to vent like many on this forum do all of the time. Every forum has cynics, skeptics, pessimists, and fair weather fans, even the Yankees.

Our Yankee visitors here probably go there to vent occasionally but they much prefer coming to a Red Sox forum and read their plants doing their Sox fan pretending here. Half of those that are always complaining here are most likely closet Yankee trolls out for a good time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

n

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

This is all becoming a bit too much for me.

Post what you want and try your best to be respectful. After that, who cares?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m