options at first base

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

options at first base

i'm trying to compile a list of options for first base from in-house guys to trades and FA options. feel free to suggest names. outside the box options are welcome.

In-house: 2 options here in Jerry Sands and Mauro Gomez.

Sands - aquired in the mega-deal from LA, marginal skills. in 70 games in the majors over the past 2 seasons (only 9 games in 2012) hes hit .224/.325/.376 he walks a fair amount and has power but not too sure about the other parts of his offensive game and i know absolutely nothing about his defensive game. AAAA player if you ask me

Gomez - another AAAA player, I like Mauro better than sands but hes also not the ideal guy i would slot into first base all season long. in 37 games for the sox last season he played reasonably well, well enough to deserve a shot at ST but my guess is he just gets used as depth. In pawtucket last season he hit 24 HR, .310/.371/.589

Salty - with Lava needing more experience behind the plate maybe its time to make him the full time catcher??  salty could be moved to first base.

Free agency: the list of FA for first base is riddled with old players well out of their prime so i will include the names many have been talking about these past few weeks.

Adam LaRoche - 33 years old and coming off a career year with the Nats. will surely be looking for that retirement contract worth decent to semi-big money for 3-4 years. good defensively and has a swing suited for fenway. its the contract that is a deal breaker for me.

Mike Napoli - has good numbers at fenway, can catch/DH when needed to. would be willing to overpay on a short 2-3 year deal for him

James Loney - HAHA JUST KIDDING!!!

Nick Swisher - very versatile, spent a decent amount of time at first base since Tex was banged up. switch hitter, has more power from the left side which isn't ideal for fenway but he could still do some damage for us. seems like a good clubhouse presence and always has a smile on his face. which is a plus. hard to say what this guy is going to get on the market... i doubt it will be 100 mil like he wants but teams are sure to be bidding on this guy so who knows how it turns out.

YOUK - personally, i don't think he is an option for us but you never know. crazier things have happened.

Trades: no one seems to be off limit so this could be anyone

Ike Davis - only 25, in arbitration years until 2017. no worrisome injury history, pretty good bat, has lots of power but also strikes out a lot. in 2012 he hit .227/.308/.462 with 32 HRs and 141 SOs. lots of potential here

Corey Hart - 30 years old and been with the brewers his whole career. played in the OF most of his career but since prince left to the motor city he has taken up 1st and played over 100 games there last season. has good power but also strikes out a lot. in 2012 he hit .270/.334/.507 (right on target with his career averages. very consistent)  with 30 HRs and 151 SOs. he is a FA at the end of the season so he won't cost a lot to aquire and can play OF in a pinch

Billy Butler - signed through 2014 with an option for 2015. Mainly a DH but has some experience at first base (about 20 games a season) when he has played there hes done alright from a defensive standpoint. i wouldn't call him a liability. the real reason would be for his offense. in 2012 he hit .313/.373/.510 with 29 HRs and 107 RBIs. would give us an insurance policy if papi goes down too.

Paul goldschmidt - pre-arb years. doesn't hit FA until 2018 so he is very young, cost controlled and could be a powerhouse at fenway. the price to get him would be steep, but considerably less than J upton and is my favorite option so far. in 193 major league games so far in his career he has hit .278/.353/.487 strikes out a bit much for my liking but at such a young age it is expected as he matures he will become more disciplined at the plate.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Re: options at first base

In response to mef429's comment:

i'm trying to compile a list of options for first base from in-house guys to trades and FA options. feel free to suggest names. outside the box options are welcome.

Sands - aquired in the mega-deal from LA, marginal skills. in 70 games in the majors over the past 2 seasons (only 9 games in 2012) hes hit .224/.325/.376 he walks a fair amount and has power but not too sure about the other parts of his offensive game and i know absolutely nothing about his defensive game. AAAA player if you ask me

Gomez - another AAAA player, I like Mauro better than sands but hes also not the ideal guy i would slot into first base all season long. in 37 games for the sox last season he played reasonably well, well enough to deserve a shot at ST but my guess is he just gets used as depth. In pawtucket last season he hit 24 HR, .310/.371/.589

Salty - with Lava needing more experience behind the plate maybe its time to make him the full time catcher??  salty could be moved to first base.

Free agency: the list of FA for first base is riddled with old players well out of their prime so i will include the names many have been talking about these past few weeks.

Adam LaRoche - 33 years old and coming off a career year with the Nats. will surely be looking for that retirement contract worth decent to semi-big money for 3-4 years. good defensively and has a swing suited for fenway. its the contract that is a deal breaker for me.

Mike Napoli - has good numbers at fenway, can catch/DH when needed to. would be willing to overpay on a short 2-3 year deal for him

Nick Swisher - very versatile, spent a decent amount of time at first base since Tex was bang ed up. switch hitter, has more power from the left side which isn't ideal for fenway but he could still do some damage for us. seems like a good clubhouse presence and always has a smile on his face. which is a plus. hard to say what this guy is going to get on the market... i doubt it will be 100 mil like he wants but teams are sure to be bidding on this guy so who knows how it turns out.

YOUK - personally, i don't think he is an option for us but you never know. crazier things have happened.

Ike Davis - only 25, in arbitration years until 2017. no worrisome injury history, pretty good bat, has lots of power but also strikes out a lot. in 2012 he hit .227/.308/.462 with 32 HRs and 141 SOs. lots of potential here

Corey Hart - 30 years old and been with the brewers his whole career. played in the OF most of his career but since prince left to the motor city he has taken up 1st and played over 100 games there last season. has good power but also strikes out a lot. in 2012 he hit .270/.334/.507 (right on target with his career averages. very consistent)  with 30 HRs and 151 SOs. he is a FA at the end of the season so he won't cost a lot to aquire and can play OF in a pinch

Billy Butler - signed through 2014 with an option for 2015. Mainly a DH but has some experience at first base (about 20 games a season) when he has played there hes done alright from a defensive standpoint. i wouldn't call him a liability. the real reason would be for his offense. in 2012 he hit .313/.373/.510 with 29 HRs and 107 RBIs. would give us an insurance policy if papi goes down too.

Paul goldschmidt - pre-arb years. doesn't hit FA until 2018 so he is very young, cost controlled and could be a powerhouse at fenway. the price to get him would be steep, but considerably less than J upton and is my favorite option so far. in 193 major league games so far in his career he has hit .278/.353/.487 strikes out a bit much for my liking but at such a young age it is expected as he matures he will become more disciplined at the plate.

I think the Sox should check with the Dodgers to see if Adrian Gonzalez might be available!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

LOL maybe if we took CC back too

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

you just had to show me up.... didn't ya?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

Nick Swisher - very versatile, spent a decent amount of time at first base since Tex was bang ed up. switch hitter, has more power from the left side which isn't ideal for fenway but he could still do some damage for us. seems like a good clubhouse presence and always has a smile on his face. which is a plus. hard to say what this guy is going to get on the market... i doubt it will be 100 mil like he wants but teams are sure to be bidding on this guy so who knows how it turns out.

I think the Sox should check with the Dodgers to see if Adrian Gonzalez might be available!

I feel Gomez is similar, in many respects, to Butler. I think, given an opportunity for an entire season, you would see similar results to what Butler would provide. Gomez makes good contact: his slugging percentage was .422 and his OBP was .324  in 37 games. Sands may be a good backup at 1b and in the corner OF positions.

If you go outside I would try to sign LaRoche--I think he has the ideal swing for Fenway.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

I feel Gomez is similar, in many respects, to Butler. I think, given an opportunity for an entire season, you would see similar results to what Butler would provide. Gomez makes good contact: his slugging percentage was .422 and his OBP was .324  in 37 games. Sands may be a good backup at 1b and in the corner OF positions.

If you go outside I would try to sign LaRoche--I think he has the ideal swing for Fenway.

Gomez is similar to Butler in that they aren't good enough defensively to be everyday first basemen.  Rumor is Sox may move Gomez to Japan.  Who knows where he ends up, but he's definitely not going to be the starting 1st baseman for the Boston Red Sox next year,

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Gomez is similar to Butler in that both are carbon-based bipedal life forms and neither one can play the trombone with his feet.   Beyond that, the similarities end.

Butler is a desrving All Star.  Gomez is an AAAA player who got to live a little dream this past season.  He should have no place in the future, and certainly not as a corner stone.   First of all, Gomez was not exactly all that great last season, posting a whopping .746 OPS.  And even as medicore as those numbers appear, he still needed a .347BABIP to schieve them.  The guy had a .355 BABIP ON GROUND BALLS!!    A .355 BABIP on ground balls is reasonable if you are a left-handed hitting cheetah with a jetpack.  However, as Mauro Gomez is not  cheetah, does not own a jetpack and actually bats right-handed, I am going to say no way is that remotely sustainable.   Given normal splits - which he WILL regress to - Gomez would normalize down to hitting .221 / .271 / .319 slash line.   He would finish with an OPS of about .590.  No position player in MLB with enough plate appearances to qualify put up an OPS as low as .590 last season.  (Jemile Weeks was the bottom with a .609.)  What Butler were you comparing him to?  Dan? Rhett?  Billy Butler can put up those splits batting left-handed while wearing a ski mask backwards. 

Oh, and Gomez whopping 2 HRs in 111 plate appearances translates into about 11 over the course of a full season.   As he is already older than Butler, chances are slim he will improve enough to ever catch up.

Forget Gomez.  The Gomez you saw last season was a mirage, and not even a very good one.

If the Sox want to gamble on a longshot with an actual chance, there are two of them in Seattle, one of whom really does have a pretty good Fenway Swing...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Gomez is similar to Butler in that both are carbon-based bipedal life forms and neither one can play the trombone with his feet.   Beyond that, the similarities end.

Butler is a desrving All Star.  Gomez is an AAAA player who got to live a little dream this past season.  He should have no place in the future, and certainly not as a corner stone.   First of all, Gomez was not exactly all that great last season, posting a whopping .746 OPS.  And even as medicore as those numbers appear, he still needed a .347BABIP to schieve them.  The guy had a .355 BABIP ON GROUND BALLS!!    A .355 BABIP on ground balls is reasonable if you are a left-handed hitting cheetah with a jetpack.  However, as Mauro Gomez is not  cheetah, does not own a jetpack and actually bats right-handed, I am going to say no way is that remotely sustainable.   Given normal splits - which he WILL regress to - Gomez would normalize down to hitting .221 / .271 / .319 slash line.   He would finish with an OPS of about .590.  No position player in MLB with enough plate appearances to qualify put up an OPS as low as .590 last season.  (Jemile Weeks was the bottom with a .609.)  What Butler were you comparing him to?  Dan? Rhett?  Billy Butler can put up those splits batting left-handed while wearing a ski mask backwards. 

Oh, and Gomez whopping 2 HRs in 111 plate appearances translates into about 11 over the course of a full season.   As he is already older than Butler, chances are slim he will improve enough to ever catch up.

Forget Gomez.  The Gomez you saw last season was a mirage, and not even a very good one.

If the Sox want to gamble on a longshot with an actual chance, there are two of them in Seattle, one of whom really does have a pretty good Fenway Swing...

Good stuff, Notin..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

swishers expected market is around 3 year at 11-13 million per year. I'd sign him for that, we get power at first base and versatility

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

There's also Morneau and K Morales as possible trade targets.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I would not sign Swisher for 3/11, and not becuase I do not think he is worth that amount of salary.  I would not want to give up the draft pick. 

I know for the Sox that would only be a second round pick, but a second round pick for the Sox might be only the 40th or so pick in the draft overall.  The actual number is TBD.  The new rules make a second round pick much more valuabe than in the past. 

Last season there were 29 compensation picks between round 1 and round 2.  If I understand the new rules correctly, this season there will be a maximum of 8.  In addition to that, if all 8 of the free agents who were offered qualifying deals are signed by other teams, there will be up to 8 fewer picks in the first round (since signing teams have to give up a 1st round draft pick unless they are in the top 10 slots), meaning that the second round could start with the 32nd player selected overall.  Beyond that, I am unclear as to how it goes since I do not know how the "Competitive Balance Lottery round" goes.  But however that works, it seems reasonable to conjecture that the Sox would be picking somewhere near the 40th overall player with that second pick.  So signing Swisher or LaRoche means paying their salary and giving up the 40th (or so) best player available in the first-year player draft.

This makes me think that Napoli is a better target.  But that also begs this question:  Who will have a better year at the plate, Napoli or Youkilis?  Youkilis is the much better glove.  And Youk, even with his reduced production, has good OBP skills like Napoli, and good RH power, as Napoli has.  All other things being equal, contract-wise, would Youk provide more value for the money, or Napoli?  I kind of think it will be Youk.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

I would not sign Swisher for 3/11, and not becuase I do not think he is worth that amount of salary.  I would not want to give up the draft pick. 

I know for the Sox that would only be a second round pick, but a second round pick for the Sox might be only the 40th or so pick in the draft overall.  The actual number is TBD.  The new rules make a second round pick much more valuabe than in the past. 

Last season there were 29 compensation picks between round 1 and round 2.  If I understand the new rules correctly, this season there will be a maximum of 8.  In addition to that, if all 8 of the free agents who were offered qualifying deals are signed by other teams, there will be up to 8 fewer picks in the first round (since signing teams have to give up a 1st round draft pick unless they are in the top 10 slots), meaning that the second round could start with the 32nd player selected overall.  Beyond that, I am unclear as to how it goes since I do not know how the "Competitive Balance Lottery round" goes.  But however that works, it seems reasonable to conjecture that the Sox would be picking somewhere near the 40th overall player with that second pick.  So signing Swisher or LaRoche means paying their salary and giving up the 40th (or so) best player available in the first-year player draft.

This makes me think that Napoli is a better target.  But that also begs this question:  Who will have a better year at the plate, Napoli or Youkilis?  Youkilis is the much better glove.  And Youk, even with his reduced production, has good OBP skills like Napoli, and good RH power, as Napoli has.  All other things being equal, contract-wise, would Youk provide more value for the money, or Napoli?  I kind of think it will be Youk.

Since we don't have a first baseman worth a da#n in the minors why not try for a long r ange view and go for a trade for Ike Davis of the Mets.  We know the Mets want Lucas Duda to play that position since that is his natural spot and he is one of their untouchables.  We have what the Mets want---catchers.  We could fashion a trade I believe.  I just wonder if Cherington is even thinking along those lines, or even thinking at all.  Again, I have little use for the guy but am willing to issue a Mea Culp if he actually shows he has something between his ears this winter and get us the reinforcements we need.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I was actually proposing a trade for Ike Davis as my fist plan of action.  Unfortunately Duda fractured his wrist moving furniture the other day.  The Mets have now come out to say they are not going to trade Ike Davis.  Morneau and Morales seem to be possibilities, but at what cost I do not know. 

S5 has an interesting proposition: make Bogaerts switch to 1B.  This would solve the problem of nobody in the system being worth a damn.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

i'll take adam laroche.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Morales would likely be dirt cheap.

I like Travis Shaw, but he is not ready now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i still like paul goldschmidt from AZ. just don't know how likely a trade from him would be. or what it would cost.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to softlaw's comment:

Morales would likely be dirt cheap

Provide the specifics on "dirt cheap". Dirt is a lot more expensive than in 1951.

aren't you the guy who says "send farm scraps for V-mart"? you never seem to elaborate on that at all and yet you expect everyone else to do so.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

VMart should be be first on the acquistion offer list. And that offer should be to take all of the last 2 years of VMart's contract and the kind of farm scrap profiels that were called compensation for a great windfall to get ready of InEpstein (VMart possesses hitting talent to DH, and athletic talent to catch and play 1st base so he's an easy trade to net back what farm scraps)

2nd, if VMart offer rejected ( I think the Tigers would jump for joy), would be a 2 year offer of base 10. 3 years should be a deal breaker.

3rd Option should be to platoon Gomez and acquire the great James Loney on a one year contract of 1 to 2M.

4th Option is to activate Tim Wastefield.  

still never named the "farm scraps" you plan on giving up.....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

softy is the master of doubletalk clown nonsense.

There was talk that K Morales would be nontendered, so I seriously doubt he will cost much more than a ML'er like Breslow or Atchison or a couple prospects like Coyle & Vitek.

Now, who is softy offering for the "elite hitter" VMart?

Cricketts....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

VMart should be be first on the acquistion offer list. And that offer should be to take all of the last 2 years of VMart's contract and the kind of farm scrap profiels that were called compensation for a great windfall to get ready of InEpstein (VMart possesses hitting talent to DH, and athletic talent to catch and play 1st base so he's an easy trade to net back what farm scraps)

2nd, if VMart offer rejected ( I think the Tigers would jump for joy), would be a 2 year offer of base 10. 3 years should be a deal breaker.

3rd Option should be to platoon Gomez and acquire the great James Loney on a one year contract of 1 to 2M.

And he probably never will. Its not part of his schtick...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'm with Softlaw on this.  The contract drives the trade.  We aren't giving the Tigers anything.  We'd be telling them that the base contract that they'd have to eat is maybe $13M over two years.  For that amount, we give you a hot dog vendor.  If you eat more, you get an C-prospect, etc.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

There's also Morneau and K Morales as possible trade targets.

I read somewhere that Belt might be accessible.  Since SF is concerned about signing Pagan, I was wondering if they'd be interested in one year of Ellsbury, plus his draft comp, in exchange for Belt.

Sections
Shortcuts