Oriole's executive on Erik Bedard "Caveat Emptor"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Oriole's executive on Erik Bedard "Caveat Emptor"

From Bostonherald.com:

CHICAGO — With the Red Sox, among many other teams, poised to scout Erik Bedard tonight in Seattle, former Baltimore Orioles executive Jim Duquette has some advice for Theo Epstein.

Be careful.

“He’s not a ’spotlight’ guy,” Duquette said of Bedard. “And he’s not reliable from a health standpoint — as we’ve seen. Caveat Emptor.”

Bedard (AP photo) will be making his return from a one-month stay on the disabled list with a knee injury to pitch against the Tampa Bay Rays. He’s 4-6 with a 3.00 ERA and has logged 90 innings over 15 starts for the Mariners this season. He had his two best — and healthiest — seasons with the Orioles, winning 15 games in 2006 and 13 games in 2007. Overall, he was 40-34 with a 3.83 ERA in five seasons with Baltimore.

But Duquette, the Orioles’ vice president of baseball operations from 2006-08, said Bedard’s injury history should be a red flag to the Red Sox, who are seeking to bolster their rotation because Clay Buchholz is recovering far more slowly than expected from a strained lower back muscle. Duquette noted that Bedard hasn’t made a start in August or September since the 2007 season. In fact, he always seems to get injured in July, shortly before the trade deadline. And his name has come up in trade rumors in previous seasons.

“To me, it’s a sign he doesn’t want to be traded,” Duquette said. “I don’t know how he fills that void (for the Red Sox) right now. Even if he’s healthy tonight, I would still have some questions.”

Duquette also said Bedard lacks the makeup to be successful in a big market.

“He doesn’t like the attention,” said Duquette, now an analyst for MLB Network. “When he’s the guy, he doesn’t succeed. And I always thought, because he didn’t want to be the guy, that it would hold him back. I thought he’d be a real solid No. 3 (starter), maybe in a small market. But it would concern me going into a big market. After I left the Orioles, I even tried to dissuade a couple of big-market clubs that were interested in him.

“If the price tag was inexpensive enough, it’s something you might consider. But you have to do your homework.”

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

Re: Oriole's executive on Erik Bedard "Caveat Emptor"

seems that bedard got blasted tonight by the rays.  clobbered in only 1.1 inning.

time to move on to look at someone else as weiland (and others like millwood and doubront) can be that good and they will not cost anything.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BizzaroLaw. Show BizzaroLaw's posts

Thanmks

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

What a cheap shot. The guy has never had the opportunity to pitch in the post season, or on a competitor, yet he is now labelled.

That clown should know how tough it is to pitch for a losing franchise.
    Bedard is 55-47 playing for the O's and the M's.

He is the same in high leverage situations as he is in low leverage ones.
    I hope Bedard gets the chance to shows him up.

Roger that, Duquette.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

harness, I have to ask, why the 'Roger that'?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Duquette's take that Clemens was past it.
    Even w/o the juice, he had plenty left.
    Duquette is no longer a farm-depleting GM for a reason...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

They are quoting Jim Duquette, not Dan Duquette ( former GM of Red Sox).

James "Jim" Duquette was the general manager of the New York Mets for the 2004 season, before the team replaced him with Omar Minaya.[1] Duquette subsequently stayed with the Mets in a front office job for a full season before moving on to the Baltimore Orioles. With the Orioles former vice president of baseball operations, where he worked under Mike Flanagan, the team's general manager.

Jim Duquette's tenure as the Mets' GM is largely remembered for the trade of top pitching prospect Scott Kazmir to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays for the injury-prone and unproductive Victor Zambrano, which may have cost Duquette his job.

Duquette was a standout baseball player himself at Williams College, in Williamstown, Massachusetts. Duquette's cousin, Dan Duquette also was a major league general manager with the Montreal Expos and the Boston Red Sox.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Clemens didn't get onto "the juice" until after he left the Red Sox.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Wrong Duquette the Red Sox guy was Dan Duquette.

In Response to Re: Oriole's executive on Erik Bedard "Caveat Emptor":
    [QUOTE]Duquette's take that Clemens was past it. Even w/o the juice, he had plenty left. Duquette is no longer a farm-depleting GM for a reason...
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Clemens's last year with Boston was mediocre and DAN DUQUETTE ( not Jim Duquette) was right in posturing that he was in the twilight of his career. This infuriated Roger and in the offseason started allegedly started the steroids and a strong excercise program He then became Cy Young material.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I would agree that had Clemens stayed here that he never, never would have performed on the level he did in Toronto.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

True, Dan lit a fire under Roger with that remark. You know the rest of the story.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

why should the buyer beware??? what do we have to lose? those guys we traded were having ZERO impact on our team this year and probably the next few. we need a starter - we got one...if it dont work out then we part ways after a few months....the O's exec should chill

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Typical Orioles's back lash trash talking to the Red Sox.  First it was the Orioles complaining about the Red Sox's payroll size, then Gregg purposely trying to hit Papi after Orioles as soon getting swept, and then this!! 

Let them keep whining!!