Orioles game thread..oh yeah, the Sox are playing too

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Orioles game thread..oh yeah, the Sox are playing too

It is actually fun to watch Iglesias play short. As far as his bunting; I have two words: Don't bunt.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Time for my "can't stand the Sox taking strike one" rant again.  Just logged on to Gameday and saw that the Sox' lone run came on a double by Ciriaco, the result of swinging at the first pitch. Seven of the Sox' first nine batters took a called strike before getting their bats off their shoulders (little league fundamentals again).  By contrast, in the O's half of the fourth inning, when they scored two, four of six batters swung at the first strike (or perceived strike) they saw.  It's not rocket science.  The more chances to swing, the more the chance of hitting the damned ball.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to pike's comment:

Always has been. Someone  needs to work with him during the off season. If he could learn to be a decent bunter and bat .200, I'd  be satisfied. 

[QUOTE]

Great, super play by Iglesias. A good reason to watch these meaningless games.

[/QUOTE]

He'll have to work on that. I wouldnt give up him just yet. hurt half of last year, just 22. 

He is an impressive defensive player. On the other hand he cannot even bunt.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would be willing to give him one more year. He has to show some improvement offensively to keep him. His plate discipline IMO is his major weakness. After next year hopefully we will compete for a playoff spot and if he cannot be a part of that then he should be sent back to the cornfield

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey Pike: is this an example of a single paragraph when JBay responds? Its a software problem. Clip off the part you want and paste it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It is actually fun to watch Iglesias play short. As far as his bunting; I have two words: Don't bunt.  

[/QUOTE]

Think they're trying to make that his offense, gale. May be better to let him swing, at this point. Do that in ST. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Ciriaco rocks!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Yankee catcher is hitting what?

Think they are happy with that?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Think they're trying to make that his offense, gale. May be better to let him swing, at this point. Do that in ST. 

[/QUOTE]

I do not like the sac bunt.  Maybe for a pitcher , but that is all.  There may be a rare occasion where it is good, but as a rule , I would never give up an out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Attaboy, Pedey!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I do not like the sac bunt.  Maybe for a pitcher , but that is all.  There may be a rare occasion where it is good, but as a rule , I would never give up an out.

[/QUOTE]

I've gotten that feeling, gale;))

PD!! Tie game

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

And by the way, Pedey swung at the first strike offered this time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to joel49's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Time for my "can't stand the Sox taking strike one" rant again.  Just logged on to Gameday and saw that the Sox' lone run came on a double by Ciriaco, the result of swinging at the first pitch. Seven of the Sox' first nine batters took a called strike before getting their bats off their shoulders (little league fundamentals again).  By contrast, in the O's half of the fourth inning, when they scored two, four of six batters swung at the first strike (or perceived strike) they saw.  It's not rocket science.  The more chances to swing, the more the chance of hitting the damned ball.

Ted Williams knew a little bit about hitting. He said that you might only get one good pitch to hit in an at bat.  With the Sox , that often is the first pitch.  They have it too ingrained in their heads that they are supposed to work the count. That is why they strike out so much. Very few hitters are better with two strikes on them.  Very few.

[/QUOTE]

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I do not like the sac bunt. Maybe for a pitcher , but that is all. There may be a rare occasion where it is good, but as a rule , I would never give up an out.

Bunting is really not that bad when used with discretion. Tito had a real problem with it. He hardly ever used it. Here is a link that shows that bunting in the right situation does indeed increase the expectation of scoring runs.

http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2006/07/empirical_analy_1.php

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

As soon as his team scores its a signal for Losester to immediately give those runs and more back. Losester stinks. It will be hard for him to become a #5 SP next year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Ted Williams knew a little bit about hitting. He said that you might only get one good pitch to hit in an at bat.  With the Sox , that often is the first pitch.  They have it too ingrained in their heads that they are supposed to work the count. That is why they strike out so much. Very few hitters are better with two strikes on them.  Very few.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ted had it right, of course.  Some guys have no problem hitting with two strikes.  Pedey comes to mind, and I don't go quite so crazy with his usual habit of letting the first strike go.  Some hitters (like a Wade Boggs, e.g.) have no problem with 0-2 or 1-2 counts.  But a guy like Salty, who when down 0-2 or 1-2, is a sure bet to K.  Guys who whiff a lot should be told to swing at the first good pitch they see.  How does Magadan let this crap go on?  This is not a team that can afford to give up pitches, and any team scouting the Sox has to know their proclivity for taking until there is a called strike.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to wallyisdead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I do not like the sac bunt. Maybe for a pitcher , but that is all. There may be a rare occasion where it is good, but as a rule , I would never give up an out.

Bunting is really not that bad when used with discretion. Tito had a real problem with it. He hardly ever used it. Here is a link that shows that bunting in the right situation does indeed increase the expectation of scoring runs.

http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2006/07/empirical_analy_1.php

[/QUOTE]

Why are you obsessed with Tito you clown?

[/QUOTE]

Hey WallyBrainDead: did you notice that I am ignoring you? How does that feel? OK..back on ignore.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Just amazing how many times our starters give up runs following our scoring.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Sox get one: Losester surrenders two. What a stiff. Good for the Orioles though....go O's. Go A's.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Ciriaco must be on the 25 man roster next season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

Sox get one: Losester surrenders two. What a stiff. Good for the Orioles though....go O's. Go A's.

[/QUOTE]

NYY 1-A's 0, end of 7. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have no idea why he didn't make the team coming out of ST this year. He had a great ST.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Left side of the IF looking pretty solid.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have no idea why he didn't make the team coming out of ST this year. He had a great ST.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that was a mystery to me, too.