Orioles game thread..oh yeah, the Sox are playing too

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Orioles game thread..oh yeah, the Sox are playing too

Sabathia is shutting out the A's on one hit through 7. Damn.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Boy, I sure find the threads with several "[/QUOTE]"s in them hard to get through.  I wish they'd go back to the old format.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

In response to joel49's comment:

Boy, I sure find the threads with several "

"s in them hard to get through.  I wish they'd go back to the old format.

I mean like, who is saying what?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Gomez should be playing first base tonite, and every night. Why play Loney when he is a rental for this year only? Gomez could be our starting 1B next year.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Try this. Copy and paste; italicize the part you are responding to.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

I do not like the sac bunt. Maybe for a pitcher , but that is all. There may be a rare occasion where it is good, but as a rule , I would never give up an out.

Bunting is really not that bad when used with discretion. Tito had a real problem with it. He hardly ever used it. Here is a link that shows that bunting in the right situation does indeed increase the expectation of scoring runs.

http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2006/07/empirical_analy_1.php

There are so many variables when looking at stats like that.   Does it account for whether or not the bunter was a pitcher ?  How about when , attempting to bunt , the bunter gets into a two strike hole and then swings away ?  It does not count as a sacrifice attempt, but reduces the chances of a hit.  I just try to keep it simple in that I don't like giving up an out just to advance a runner one base.  Even if the bunt is successful , which is no sure thing.  Even if one concedes that it can help to score a run , it most certainly hurts the chances of scoring multiple runs.  

There are so many variables when looking at stats like that. Does it account for whether or not the bunter was a pitcher ? How about when , attempting to bunt , the bunter gets into a two strike hole and then swings away ? It does not count as a sacrifice attempt, but reduces the chances of a hit. I just try to keep it simple in that I don't like giving up an out just to advance a runner one base. Even if the bunt is successful , which is no sure thing. Even if one concedes that it can help to score a run , it most certainly hurts the chances of scoring multiple runs.

Its a complicated chart. I looked it over only briefly. From what I can see bunting is best used with runners on first and second, no one out and when the pitcher is batting. There are other situations where it pays off too, such as when the lower part of the order is batting. But you are right: there are a lot of variables. If you need a single run to win a game, I think bunting makes more sense than in other situations.

Jon Losester's in game ERA: 5.40. Not even good enough for a #5 SP.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Try this. Copy and paste; italicize the part you are responding to.

I was thinking of doing that but then you don't know whose statement is being responded to.  Of course, most times I don't know anyway with this format.

There are so many variables when looking at stats like that. Does it account for whether or not the bunter was a pitcher ? How about when , attempting to bunt , the bunter gets into a two strike hole and then swings away ? It does not count as a sacrifice attempt, but reduces the chances of a hit. I just try to keep it simple in that I don't like giving up an out just to advance a runner one base. Even if the bunt is successful , which is no sure thing. Even if one concedes that it can help to score a run , it most certainly hurts the chances of scoring multiple runs.

Its a complicated chart. I looked it over only briefly. From what I can see bunting is best used with runners on first and second, no one out and when the pitcher is batting. There are other situations where it pays off too, such as when the lower part of the order is batting. But you are right: there are a lot of variables. If you need a single run to win a game, I think bunting makes more sense than in other situations.

I agree that there are a few situations where it is a good strategy.  In general , I don't like it.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

I have no worries this year about, the NYY. The fact the O's are one game behing them and chasing them for the ALE, says it all.

another hit for IGGY....may just need some time. 

In response to J-BAY's comment:

I have no worries this year about, the NYY. The fact the O's are one game behing them and chasing them for the ALE, says it all.

I would feel much better if the Yankees were trailing the Orioles rather than being ahead of them.

another hit for IGGY....may just need some time. 

Even when he was slumping, he looked like he knew what he was doing up there. Had some good swings , but no luck.  If he keeps the same approach , all that will even out.

I would feel much better if the Yankees were trailing the Orioles rather than being ahead of them.

May be the way it shakes out, after the weekend series. 

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A;s tie in the 9th. MOSS-HR

Well, the Orioles have done their part, winning tonite. Now the A's have to somehow mount a comeback tonite. I am outta here to walk the hound dog.

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A;s tie in the 9th. MOSS-HR

Great news! I still gotta get outta here. Go A's. Go O's!

• This post has been removed.

In response to pike's comment:

My comment was directed at Yazzer, not MrYazz.

If you don't like what I write, ignore it.

In response to wallyisdead's comment:

In response to pike's comment:

My comment was directed at Yazzer, not MrYazz.

give it up, pike. 

If you don't like what I write, ignore it.

You will be banned from here soon enough

Miss you at talksox

• Sections
    Shortcuts