Orioles Reach Agreement With Dan Duquette

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: The Baltimore Orioles are close to officially naming Dan Duquette as their next general manager

Now he is goiing to sign Manny Ramirez, trade no0thing for Pedro and the Orioles are going to win the World Series.

Because that is what Dan Duquette does - builds World Series teams.  I've read so many times that is what he doies.  He's done it everywhere he has gone.  Except Montreal.  And arguably in Boston.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Re: The Baltimore Orioles are close to officially naming Dan Duquette as their next general manager

I'll miss him on MLB Radio.....geez, the guy if nothing else is very passionate.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: The Baltimore Orioles are close to officially naming Dan Duquette as their next general manager:
    [QUOTE]Now he is goiing to sign Manny Ramirez, trade no0thing for Pedro and the Orioles are going to win the World Series. Because that is what Dan Duquette does - builds World Series teams.  I've read so many times that is what he doies.  He's done it everywhere he has gone.  Except Montreal.  And arguably in Boston.
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]Say what you want about Duke, and don't get me wrong, I really liked Theo too, but Duquette pulled off the two all time greatest heists in Red Sox history. Tony Armas and Carl Pavano for Pedro and Heathcliff Slocumb for Jason Varitek and Derek Lowe were brilliant moves. Theo gets all the credit for adding the complementary pieces like Bill Mueller, Dave Roberts and Orlando Cabrera as well as for signing Big Papi off the scrap heap, but IMO Duke was a very good GM. Plus he's the guy who hired our current GM. If this rumor is true the Orioles will be very good very soon. And feel free to save this post to humiliate me with in case I'm wrong.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I wish Duquette well. He wasn't a terrible GM. He made some nice trades and made some nice draft picks, although he didn't quite build the farm system like he said he wanted to. (Although to be fair, for all GMs, drafting is a crapshoot).

My problem with Duquette from talking to friends in the business who dealt with him was that he and Harrington created a very toxic environment in the way they dealt with people and there was more paranoia in the organization -- minor league coaches afraid to talk about a prospect, for example -- than in the old Soviet Union. And he and Harrington were anything but fan friendly.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

DAN WAS/IS A GOOD  G M  ....... JUST DOES NOT HAVE THE "POLISH/SPIN" OF THE  HENRY/LUCCIANO'S  RED SOX !!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: The Baltimore Orioles are close to officially naming Dan Duquette as their next general manager:
    [QUOTE]I wish Duquette well. He wasn't a terrible GM. He made some nice trades and made some nice draft picks, although he didn't quite build the farm system like he said he wanted to. (Although to be fair, for all GMs, drafting is a crapshoot). My problem with Duquette from talking to friends in the business who dealt with him was that he and Harrington created a very toxic environment in the way they dealt with people and there was more paranoia in the organization -- minor league coaches afraid to talk about a prospect, for example -- than in the old Soviet Union. And he and Harrington were anything but fan friendly.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Should be an interesting marriage with Showalter :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Duke was a good GM.  I think both he and Theo did good jobs, but in the end Duke doesn't get enough credit and Theo gets too much credit.  I can't believe he wasn't offered a GM job elsewhere after 02, there are some downright horrible GMs out there, Dan would be an asset to half the teams in MLB.
    Posted by cberbes[/QUOTE]

I fully agree cberbes!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cberbes. Show cberbes's posts

Duke was a good GM.  I think both he and Theo did good jobs, but in the end Duke doesn't get enough credit and Theo gets too much credit.  I can't believe he wasn't offered a GM job elsewhere after 02, there are some downright horrible GMs out there, Dan would be an asset to half the teams in MLB.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I wish Duquette well. He wasn't a terrible GM. He made some nice trades and made some nice draft picks, although he didn't quite build the farm system like he said he wanted to. (Although to be fair, for all GMs, drafting is a crapshoot).

There was really very little coming from his drafts.

Nomar, Pavano, Youkilis, MDC, Duchscherer, in 8 years doesn't seem like a lot.

His 1st round picks (including supplementals)
    Nomar
    Yount
    Jenkins
    Garrett 
    Reitsma
    Curtice
    Fischer
    Everett
    Asoordorian
    Baker
    Fossum
    Dumatrait

That just pales in comparison to Theo.  Granted, any single draftee is a crapshoot, but the larger the sample, the closer it gets to accuracy.  At the end of the day, the RS won 5 playoff games in his 8 years, and missed the playoffs in his last three years.  We've won 95 or more 6 times in 9 years under Theo, and -0- times under Duquette.

Just a guess, but I wouldn't expect much success under DD.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]I wish Duquette well. He wasn't a terrible GM. He made some nice trades and made some nice draft picks, although he didn't quite build the farm system like he said he wanted to. (Although to be fair, for all GMs, drafting is a crapshoot). There was really very little coming from his drafts. Nomar, Pavano, Youkilis, MDC, Duchscherer, in 8 years doesn't seem like a lot. His 1st round picks (including supplementals) Nomar Yount Jenkins Garrett  Reitsma Curtice Fischer Everett Asoordorian Baker Fossum Dumatrait That just pales in comparison to Theo.  Granted, any single draftee is a crapshoot, but the larger the sample, the closer it gets to accuracy.  At the end of the day, the RS won 5 playoff games in his 8 years, and missed the playoffs in his last three years.  We've won 95 or more 6 times in 9 years under Theo, and -0- times under Duquette. Just a guess, but I wouldn't expect much success under DD.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

I remembered Nomar and Youk and thought there might have been a couple of others, but yeah, overall, the farm system was a tremendous disappointment under Duke.

But I harbor no ill-will for the guy and used to respect the Orioles organization, so I think it would be good for baseball if the Orioles could return to being a contender.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Baltimore is getting a first class man and a GM that will help turn that team around if ownership lets him.  Angelos has really let the Orioles fall into decline since he took over ownership.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

no doubt, who would wish against the Duke having success in Baltimore? He was a decent GM, and the AL East has longed to have balance restored by the O's rising from the dead.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

We've won 95 or more 6 times in 9 years under Theo, and -0- times under Duquette.

Epstein's budgets were much larger. The Red Sox didn't allow Duquette to take on significant payroll until the 2000s.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]We've won 95 or more 6 times in 9 years under Theo, and -0- times under Duquette. Epstein's budgets were much larger. The Red Sox didn't allow Duquette to take on significant payroll until the 2000s.
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

Of course, Duquette's payrolls were also significantly closer to the rival payrolls in his division, and he never had a $200mill payroll to contend with...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

must say i love this move. live in balt and he's just what he needs. could not get y noone had given him a job by now. has become a great insightful interview. this is badddd for the sawx. i can see us falling behind orioles next year as we fight for  fourth or third. duke's first move will be to get theo to trade 2 or 3 of the cubs stars for peanuts than get outmaneuver cherington for PAPI and even pap! he will overpay if he must to send that strong psychological message. pap gets 3 years flat and pap gets mariano money for 3 years as well with a 4th year as the team option!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

[QUOTE]I'll miss him on MLB Radio.....geez, the guy if nothing else is very passionate.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

The guy on MLB radio is Jim Duquette.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Baltimore Orioles are close to officially naming Dan Duquette as their next general manager : Of course, Duquette's payrolls were also significantly closer to the rival payrolls in his division, and he never had a $200mill payroll to contend with...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

The team's payroll was not Duqutte's undoing and one could argue that his lack of success in player development was due to the Harrington group slashing the budget for scouting and development while positioning the team for sale and channeling those money into the Yawkey trust. His greatest failings in the draft was he spent valuable money and resources scouting and signing players from Asia...none of whom ever paid off...

Duke's undoing IMHO is aside from his surly demeanor is that he never embraced the concept that pitching wins and spent most of his budgeted resources on the aquisition of hitters and signed guy like Jose Offerman and Jose Conseco...His best teams of the late 90's after letting Clemens walk in the twilight of his career and then aquiring Pedro were very thin and not built for post season success with the likes of soft tosser like Burkett, oft injured Brett Saberhagen, Castillo and Ramon Martinez all pitching meaniful innings in the post season...

http://www.stevetheump.com/Payrolls.htm

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Baltimore Orioles are close to officially naming Dan Duquette as their next general manager : The guy on MLB radio is Jim Duquette.
    Posted by Rutland76[/QUOTE]
    Ooops, my bad and thanks for the catch. Senior momentEmbarassed

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Dan D also signed Hanley Ramirez as an international FA.  Later HanRam and A. Sanchez were dealt by the next administration for Beckett and Lowell.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]Dan D also signed Hanley Ramirez as an international FA.  Later HanRam and A. Sanchez were dealt by the next administration for Beckett and Lowell.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

He also drafted Casey Fossum who was one the key guys in the trade to aquire Schilling...

In the end Duquette was a decent GM and given the resources at his disposal like it or not he never built a serious WS contender. The question that begs to be answered was how much did Harrinton influence his roster decisions and who was the guy in charge of the team phylosophy and if it was the Duke who had the autonomy to build the team, then IMHO he's doesn't warrant a ton of accolades...

Because cleary something changed when Luccino moved into to town in 2002. Who along with his band of minions from San Diego (Epstein, Hoyer and Brynes). Took what was a pretty good team and within two years...Were legit championship contenders. After adding, Mueller, Millar, Ortiz and falling 1 game short of a WS in 2003, then retooling the roster in the offseason of 2003, and as we all know in 2004 we won it all! Make no mistake about it, we don't win it if not for the core guys that the Duke left behind, but the aquisition of Schilling and FA signing of Foulke were what put us over the top...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No doubt Bean, but we will never know if Dan D might have made those same deals with the new administration. It's pure speculation.

It's hard to go back and try and reconstruct what ifs, but it's hard to imagine Dan saying no to the Fossum for Schill trade.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Baltimore Orioles are close to officially naming Dan Duquette as their next general manager : The guy on MLB radio is Jim Duquette.
    Posted by Rutland76[/QUOTE]
    His cousin and former Orioles GM.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]No doubt Bean, but we will never know if Dan D might have made those same deals with the new administration. It's pure speculation. It's hard to go back and try and reconstruct what ifs, but it's hard to imagine Dan saying no to the Fossum for Schill trade.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

That may well be true but there was no way he was going to be retained by Henry and Luccino when they bought the club...totally differening pylosophies and the Duke was never very good at dealing with the press....

I doubt that the Duke travels to arizona on Thnksgiving to seal the Schilling deal which according to what has been written and stated by Schilling himself was what swung the deal in our favor was the presentation given by Espstein of hwhich Schilling was very impressed by the amount of detail and prepartion that went into the presentation, that they also played to his ego with the WS bonus didn't hurt either I suspect...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

That may well be true but there was no way he was going to be retained by Henry and Luccino when they bought the club...totally differening pylosophies and the Duke was never very good at dealing with the press....

I doubt that the Duke travels to arizona on Thnksgiving to seal the Schilling deal which according to what has been written and stated by Schilling himself was what swung the deal in our favor was the presentation given by Espstein of hwhich Schilling was very impressed by the amount of detail and prepartion that went into the presentation, that they also played to his ego with the WS bonus didn't hurt either I suspect...

True enough, but if you look at the overall body of work in terms of how well did all their trades and FA signings work out in hindsight, the disparity is minimal at best. I'm not sure if the farm building suffered because of Dan D or the organizational philosophy, but Dan made some super deals. It seems Theo's best moves were mostly limited to 2003-2004, when it was said that Lucciano had a strong influence on the decisions. I'm not downplaying Theo's role in getting Schill, Papi, Mueller, Millar and Foulke, but when he gained more control, the very good moves nearly disappeared.

Sections
Shortcuts