Orioles Reach Agreement With Dan Duquette

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: The Baltimore Orioles are close to officially naming Dan Duquette as their next general manager

In Response to Re: The Baltimore Orioles are close to officially naming Dan Duquette as their next general manager:
    [QUOTE]That may well be true but there was no way he was going to be retained by Henry and Luccino when they bought the club...totally differening pylosophies and the Duke was never very good at dealing with the press.... I doubt that the Duke travels to arizona on Thnksgiving to seal the Schilling deal which according to what has been written and stated by Schilling himself was what swung the deal in our favor was the presentation given by Espstein of hwhich Schilling was very impressed by the amount of detail and prepartion that went into the presentation, that they also played to his ego with the WS bonus didn't hurt either I suspect... True enough, but if you look at the overall body of work in terms of how well did all their trades and FA signings work out in hindsight, the disparity is minimal at best. I'm not sure if the farm building suffered because of Dan D or the organizational philosophy, but Dan made some super deals. It seems Theo's best moves were mostly limited to 2003-2004, when it was said that Lucciano had a strong influence on the decisions. I'm not downplaying Theo's role in getting Schill, Papi, Mueller, Millar and Foulke, but when he gained more control, the very good moves nearly disappeared.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Another way to look at that is that Theo made a lot of short-term moves early, giving the team a chance to win while the player development improvements had a chance to bear fruit.  Theo made some very good moves early in his career, and some very good non-moves late in his Sox career.  By the end of 2012, we have the potential for 6 position players, 2 starters, several relievers and our closer to all be home-grown.  That's pretty remarkable for a perennial contender.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: The Baltimore Orioles are close to officially naming Dan Duquette as their next general manager

In Response to The Baltimore Orioles are close to officially naming Dan Duquette as their next general manager:
    [QUOTE]Sources: O's, Dan Duquette near deal Welcome back Dan!
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

No one else wanted it. Last man in need of job got it.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

Re: Orioles Reach Agreement With Dan Duquette

Joins Buck "i known nothing about steroids" Showalter.  Great team now in Baltimore. Maybe Selig can step down as commish and buy the team.  What a trio.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

What a shame that Pinstripezac cannot find a Yankee forum in such a populous city as New York.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I think Duquette proved during the 1995 strike he was more than willing to bring multiple big names into Boston. Already with stars Clemens, Vaughn, Dawson on the roster the Duke had reached agreements with Appier, Wettland, and Sosa.

I can wonder though was he thinking "Appier will go great with Roger," or "Now I can trade Roger," and this we can not know for sure.

The only thing in the biased article by Edes on ESPN.com that I had never paid attention to was the failed signing of Texiera as a draftee. Tex claimed total disrespect, and disrespect is an all too common word heard when it comes to criticism of Dan by others.

I can be certain that the Duke does have a dull personality, I saw it first-hand in the Spring of 1999. I have a friend that reminds me of Dan and he is one boring azz odd duck... but he is smart as hell.

In close, I am all for the Duke's hiring but I suspect he will need a personable Assistant GM to do the face to face with the players and media; hopefully he has cured his flaws.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

Trader Dan is back in business, watch out for the Orioles .  Same orioles who took five out of seven from the Sox down the stretch.

Sox should hire Showalter , don't think they have enough loot, seems like he doesn't care for the Sox. That may have changed since The Boy Blunder left for Chi Town. That's worth 5 wins right there, they win 94-96 games in 2012 and make the play offs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I wish Dan D well. He is obviously a very smart guy and a  true "Baseball Man". All in all he did a real good job as GM and his work played a big part in the 2004 WS Title.....If he wasnt GM under some of the worst Owners in history, we might have won an earlier one. His legacy with the Sox for a while was the "Twilight of hsi Career" quote, but now we know how accurate he might have been.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I harbor no ill toward Duquette. I'd like to see him succeed in Baltimore. I'd be happy to see the Orioles finish in second to the Red Sox.

It'll be interesting to see whether Duquette tries to raid the Red Sox of some of its free agents. He might want to make an immediate splash and put Boston on notice by bidding for Ortiz and/or Papelbon.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Orioles Reach Agreement With Dan Duquette:
    [QUOTE]What a shame that Pinstripezac cannot find a Yankee forum in such a populous city as New York.
    Posted by Rutland76[/QUOTE]

Why would you not want his input here?  Makes things lively for us to have yankee fans onboard.  And, if you ever cisit the YES board (is it still in existence?) or other Spankee forums, you will understand why he spends his time here and not there.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In the end it comes down too just how serious Angelos is to put his money where his GM and Managers mouths are! The Orioles have been a sleeping giant for more than a decade, while Angelos has lined his pockets with the moneys he is still being paid for allowing the National's to open shop in his territory. He also has pretty much hand cuffed every executive he has hired in that same time period and has refused to pay over slot to stay in the good graces of his buddy Bud...

Duke is solid hire and was Showalter....

If the O's are truly back, it hindges on Angelos allowing his baseball guys to do there job, get out of their way and re-invest in the Baltimore Orioles Baseball Club! Time will tell if the O's on on the way back to being relevent or is this just another case of over promising and under delivering at the expense of the fans of the Orioles... they've all seen this act before...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

AussieWill hates everything Red Sox. Why respond to him? The Yankee regulars are more objective than he is.

Sections
Shortcuts