Orioles take Michael Almanzar in rule 5 draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Orioles take Michael Almanzar in rule 5 draft

Lets see if they can keep him on the 25-man all year now

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Re: Orioles take Michael Almanzar in rule 5 draft

Yeah... knew this was coming since about August.  He was slow to develop even though he had enough talent to be a top 10 prospect a while back.  Like you said, hopefully the birds can't keep him on the 25 man and ship him right back to us.

Michael Almanzar

At mid-season, Almanzar looked like someone the Red Sox were going to have to deal in order to avoid protecting or straight-up losing in the Rule 5. While he's still young with room to grow, when you combine his lack of defensive skills with his middling final line of .268/.328/.432, concern that he will be lost for nothing vanishes. It's a blessing, in a way, that he scuffled so badly after a solid start, as it gives the Red Sox one more chance to see what he can do in the upper minors, and possibly another opportunity to sell on him before the Rule 5 comes up once more. There is little chance he'll be taken from Boston in December this time around, not with the learning he still has left to do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I know that if he doesn't stay on the O's 25 we get him back, but if we get him back is he eligible for the Rule 5 draft again next year?

(Not that I particularly want him back.  I'm just curious about the rule)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I doubt they will keep him.  If he sticks, and has a decent year or even career good for him.  But the Sox made the decision to not protect him and I'm sure that had a lot to do with him not being MLB ready....The O's are actually looking to compete and after coming off of a few winning seasons I highly doubt they could afford to stash Almanzar all year on the roster.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to S5's comment:

I know that if he doesn't stay on the O's 25 we get him back, but if we get him back is he eligible for the Rule 5 draft again next year?

Yes... any player not on the 25 man roster who fullfills requirements is free game.  It keeps clubs from stockpiling prospects who have the talent to reach the majors, but are kept from doing so because of a hoarding like tendancy of people.  It forces teams to make choices so the continual result are the best players in the world on the big stage so MLB has the best marketing opportunity possible for the product on the field.  It also keeps all the rich teams from hoarding all the talent to keep it away from the poor teams.

Here is more info if you are interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_5_draft

If chosen in the Rule 5 draft, a player must be kept on the selecting team's 25-man major league roster for the entire season after the draft—he may not be optioned or designated to the minors. The selecting team may, at any time, waive the Rule 5 draftee. If a Rule 5 draftee clears waivers by not signing with a new MLB team, he must be offered back to the original team, effectively canceling the Rule 5 draft choice. Once a Rule 5 draftee spends an entire season on his new team's 25-man roster, his status reverts to normal and he may be optioned or designated for assignment.

To prevent the abuse of the Rule 5 draft, the rule also states that the draftee must be active for at least 90 days. This keeps teams from drafting players, then placing them on the disabled list for the majority of the season. For example, if a Rule 5 draftee was only active for 67 days in his first season with his new club, he must be active for an additional 23 days in his second season to satisfy the Rule 5 requirements.

Any player chosen in the Rule 5 draft may be traded to any team while under the Rule 5 restrictions, but the restrictions transfer to the new team. If the new team does not want to keep the player on its 25-man roster for the season, he must be offered back to the team of which he was a member when chosen in the draft.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I doubt they will keep him.  If he sticks, and has a decent year or even career good for him.  But the Sox made the decision to not protect him and I'm sure that had a lot to do with him not being MLB ready....The O's are actually looking to compete and after coming off of a few winning seasons I highly doubt they could afford to stash Almanzar all year on the roster.

Like most rules, there are loopholes.  When Theo first got in office, he got creative for players and would routinely give phantom injuries to rule 5 guys that he picked so he could get a player up to the show.  The rules can be jobbed a bit if a team really likes a player. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

Like most rules, there are loopholes.  When Theo first got in office, he got creative for players and would routinely give phantom injuries to rule 5 guys that he picked so he could get a player up to the show.  The rules can be jobbed a bit if a team really likes a player. 

I thought I read somewhere that the Sox got some heat for doing that years back and that the league has warned teams they would look to crack down on that if it continues. 

More often than not....the guy comes back. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

the next step is MiLB FA

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Everyonce in a while a Gem is found in the Rule 5.  BA did a nice piece on Rule 5 Gems, but as you can see the list is short.  The 9th most valuable piece has a 2.5 Total War in 5 seasons.  Now that may still be worth the money you spend for a bullpen guy who is cost controlled for a few years.....but I doubt we see the next Josh Hamilton any time soon.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/how-to-make-the-rule-5-draft-matter-again/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

The good news is that we have three to four good third base prospects right now.

Middlebrooks

Cecchini

(Xander can also slide over if needed)

Snyder (not good but depth in AAA)

Here is more info about Almanzar

http://www.soxprospects.com/players/almanzar-michael.htm

Currently ranked our 26th best prospect

Last time in the top 20, June 14, 2013 when he reached 16th, but that was the first time in the top 20 since March 22, 2009 when he was in our top 10 prospects ranked number 8 behind Casey Kelly and right after Ryan Westmoreland

http://www.soxprospects.com/history.htm

The problem with a prospect like Almanzar is that we drafted him when he was 16 years old.  We have been doing this in the caribbean for a long time now.  Since they don't have the same laws as we do in the united states we can pick this kids off very very early and sign them at a very young age.  The problem comes about in that they reach a stage when they are unprotected at such an early age, they typically don't have time to fully develop.

Felix Doubront was a recent example of a player that basically had to make it in the majors when he did and I wasn't sure if he would continue to develop.  We got lucky on Felix, but Almanzar was much slower to develop.  He is only 23 years old now and I don't doubt the birds will find a way to use him full time as a backup to Machado until his knee heals up fully... so if there is one team that I don't expect to see Almanzar back from... unfortunately it is the O's unless Machado comes back healthy... but that is unlikely to start the season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Everyonce in a while a Gem is found in the Rule 5.  BA did a nice piece on Rule 5 Gems, but as you can see the list is short.  The 9th most valuable piece has a 2.5 Total War in 5 seasons.  Now that may still be worth the money you spend for a bullpen guy who is cost controlled for a few years.....but I doubt we see the next Josh Hamilton any time soon.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/how-to-make-the-rule-5-draft-matter-again/

Johan Santana is probably the most famous and successful rule 5 draft pick by any team

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

the next step is MiLB FA

Oh my bad... I thought they could get selected the next year

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

Seen Almanzar play a ton in Portland.  Solid player but realistically he'll never be a contributing player to a MLB team.  He's simply depth in a minor league system 'so they can play too'. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Johan Santana is probably the most famous and successful rule 5 draft pick by any team

Roberto Clemente, although it was a little different then.

Kelly Gruber and George Bell were also great Rule 5 selections...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Roberto Clemente, although it was a little different then.

Kelly Gruber and George Bell were also great Rule 5 selections...

yes there are others....this list only goes back to 1999 I believe.  

I just noticed that MOST teams didn't select anyone in the first round of the rule 5 draft. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

the next step is MiLB FA

Oh my bad... I thought they could get selected the next year

Im not 100% sure papi, but I think once they go through it they are n/a anymore for rule 5 and will become a FA after they have reached a certain amount of years in Milb. Gotta look at the rules though to be sure...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Thanks for the effort you've put into answering this, guys.  As I said, it doesn't really matter to me, I was just curious about the rule.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to HailToTheKing's comment:

Seen Almanzar play a ton in Portland.  Solid player but realistically he'll never be a contributing player to a MLB team.  He's simply depth in a minor league system 'so they can play too'. 

It is good to get some first hand knowledge from somebody who saw him play live.  He was a top ten prospect back when our system was not that good and this was my feeling... but good to be confirmed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm glad it wasn't Luis Diaz, but we have so little 1st base minor league depth, that this could hurt.

I guess firstbasemen are easy to find before, during and after a season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We picked up SS Jonathon Roof from the Phillies in the AAA part of the draft.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I'm glad it wasn't Luis Diaz, but we have so little 1st base minor league depth, that this could hurt.

Almanzar is a third baseman moon

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

We picked up SS Jonathon Roof from the Phillies in the AAA part of the draft.

Older prospect that is 25 already but can play all infield positions, specifically short where we are thinnest in the upper minors.  He just has to be on the AAA reserve list to stick so we might hang onto him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

the next step is MiLB FA

The case of Almanzar he would be at AAA this season so if he progressed or if enough people got hurt this year, he would be placed on the 40 before that would become an issue.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Lets see if they can keep him on the 25-man all year now

The O's don't have a need at 3rd.base.

Can't see why they selected him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Almanzar is a third baseman moon

Yes, but he has played 1B too, and with the Sox glut of 3bmen, he'd never have play 3B for the big club.

minor league innings:

3B: 1339

1B: 1221

Sections
Shortcuts