Orioles take Michael Almanzar in rule 5 draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Re: Orioles take Michael Almanzar in rule 5 draft

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lets see if they can keep him on the 25-man all year now

[/QUOTE]

The O's don't have a need at 3rd.base.

Can't see why they selected him.

[/QUOTE]

Machado's knee injury probably has them thinking of depth if he stays out to start the year

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I'm glad it wasn't Luis Diaz, but we have so little 1st base minor league depth, that this could hurt.

I guess firstbasemen are easy to find before, during and after a season.

[/QUOTE]

Almanzar is a third baseman moon

[/QUOTE]

Yes, but he has played 1B too, and with the Sox glut of 3bmen, he'd never have play 3B for the big club.

minor league innings:

3B: 1339

1B: 1221

[/QUOTE]

Didn't realize that... thx moon

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

We picked up SS Jonathon Roof from the Phillies in the AAA part of the draft.

[/QUOTE]

Older prospect that is 25 already but can play all infield positions, specifically short where we are thinnest in the upper minors.  He just has to be on the AAA reserve list to stick so we might hang onto him.

[/QUOTE]

Small AAA sample size, but his .348 OBP is encouraging after starting off much lower in other levels (.304 ot .324).

Innings on defense with RF/G

448 SS  4.02

258 2B  3.76

85 LF  1.41

50 3B  2.26

47  RF  1.57

30  1B  7.50

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

We picked up SS Jonathon Roof from the Phillies in the AAA part of the draft.

[/QUOTE]

Older prospect that is 25 already but can play all infield positions, specifically short where we are thinnest in the upper minors.  He just has to be on the AAA reserve list to stick so we might hang onto him.

[/QUOTE]

Small AAA sample size, but his .348 OBP is encouraging after starting off much lower in other levels (.304 ot .324).

Innings on defense with RF/G

448 SS  4.02

258 2B  3.76

85 LF  1.41

50 3B  2.26

47  RF  1.57

30  1B  7.50

[/QUOTE]

Sox originally drafted him out of high school but he didn't sign so they have had an eye on him for a long time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

This guy does not seem to have major league potential at this point to me.

He has some power, but has yet to show consistant quality power in the minors, does not play good enough defense at any position to earn a spot with his glove and does not have the speed to make a roster as a pinch runner/substitute at enough positions.

I say the Sox may welcome him back sometime during spring training so that he can play in Pawtucket.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I'm glad it wasn't Luis Diaz, but we have so little 1st base minor league depth, that this could hurt.

Hes played both positions in Portland. saw him play a nuber of times. His defense is average at best at 1b and 3b. His bat has big power potential. At this point, he could go either way. It was a good pick for the O's to take that chance. The payoff could be pretty good if he does work out. I wouldnt bet on him being ready for MLB pitching yet though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hes played both positions in Portland. saw him play a nuber of times. His defense is average at best at 1b and 3b. His bat has big power potential. At this point, he could go either way. It was a good pick for the O's to take that chance. The payoff could be pretty good if he does work out. I wouldnt bet on him being ready for MLB pitching yet though.

[/QUOTE]

It might be hard for the O's to keep him on their 25 man roster, especially if they are in the race.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

It might be hard for the O's to keep him on their 25 man roster, especially if they are in the race.

[/QUOTE]

It all depends on the health of Machado and if he can start the season healthy or not.  They will do whatever it takes to not rush back Machado at his age and playing ability.  He is only 21 years old.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Lets see if they can keep him on the 25-man all year now

[/QUOTE]

The O's don't have a need at 3rd.base.

Can't see why they selected him.

[/QUOTE]

Machado's knee injury probably has them thinking of depth if he stays out to start the year

[/QUOTE]

The Sox and Orioles can work out a trade or Baltimore can purchase him from Boston as well

Sections
Shortcuts