Ortiz 2 year deal almost Done...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Ortiz 2 year deal almost Done...

25Mill...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Re: Ortiz 2 year deal almost Done...

This Will Be Completed By Weeks End, Stays In Boston....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

A little disappointed in this TBH...

I smell a desire for positive PR from Yawkey Way. Ortiz is a good player, popular player, important piece in the lineup - but -I was hoping the Sox would go the Yankee-Jeter approach and say to him "Find your best offer and bring it to us". Don't know how many teams are lining up to give a 37 year old who suffered a season ending Achilles injury to 2 year deals for close to 30 Million dollars...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Ortiz wants 2/25 and the Sox are offering 2 years but a few million less.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to TitleTown11's comment:

I smell a desire for positive PR from Yawkey Way. Ortiz is a good player, popular player, important piece in the lineup - but -I was hoping the Sox would go the Yankee-Jeter approach and say to him "Find your best offer and bring it to us". Don't know how many teams are lining up to give a 37 year old who suffered a season ending Achilles injury to 2 year deals for close to 30 Million dollars...

TT, yes, the PR element is there.  It is good PR to keep David a Red Stocking, and it would be bad PR, especially after the disasterous last 13 months, to let David get away.

But, I think the gamble of "when is he going to suddenly be over the hill" is actually factored into the 12.5 a year for 2 years.  Because, given David's production the last 2 seasons, he is worth significantly more than that (he is taking a pay cut).  Of course, I would assume they are checking off that he is physically ready to go off the achilles injury.  But, while I am no physiologist by any means, I don't think that the achilles injury is an "aging" sort of injury.  Assuming that the docs check him out and deem him ready to go for 2013, 12.5 a year for a guy who, looking at the most recent trends, is going to give you an OPS around 1.00, thats a pretty good bargain.  Gamble on health/age?  Maybe.  But looking at his performance trends, that risk,to me, is factored into 12.5 per year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Yes Box Office Draw, Watch That Achilles Injury Heal Like Yesterday......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:

Yes Box Office Draw, Watch That Achilles Injury Heal Like Yesterday......

You think he was milking his injury?

Yup, that's a smart thing to do in a contract year...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

25m to swing the bat a few times a game and he still is incapable of ever hustling. Watching him half heartedly jog down the first baseline is so frustrating.

Glad he's back though... better option than Gomez or signing Morneau.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

This is good move by Cherington right after naming the new manager.  Sox don't need another dragging extention with Ortiz.  Extend Ross as well and move on quickly and fix the real problem Ben.. I'm starting to like this guy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:

25m to swing the bat a few times a game and he still is incapable of ever hustling. Watching him half heartedly jog down the first baseline is so frustrating.

Glad he's back though... better option than Gomez or signing Morneau.

They could still trade for Justin Morneau to play 1st.  He has a .325 lifetime average at Fenway and will be playing for a contract.  Ortiz wasn't signed to play 1st base. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

This is good move by Cherington right after naming the new manager.  Sox don't need another dragging extention with Ortiz.  Extend Ross as well and move on quickly and fix the real problem Ben.. I'm starting to like this guy.

I Agree, Sign Ross And I Do Think After The WS They Will Move Fast, No Puty Footing Around

Like Last Year,

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

its only 2 years...we can afford it....but when i hear people talking 30hr/100rbis, i want to laugh....3 months for an achiiles injury is not a good omen for a 37 yr old

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

2 years...he's produced.....the contract won't be the albatross say the Yankees have with A-rod. I would put a medical clause in though.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If Ortiz gets 2 yr contract, I wanna see him returning slimmer, healthier, and in shape.  He's gotta play more than 90 games at DH spot. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I think two years is a mistake. If you can do 1 year last year, you can do 1 year this year. One of the main reasons to do 1 year deal is to keep his motivation up. He came in this year in the best shape I have seen him. Will he come to camp in similar shape this year? I doubt it.

Secondly he has shown that he can fall off a cliff at any moment. People forget how awful he was a few years ago. What do we do if that happens again? Its not a major problem with a one year deal. It is with a two year deal.

Thirdly is the general idea of adding a player his age in the Red Sox situation to begin with. Some think we should not resign Ellsbury long term because he is getting too old[just turned 29], yet some of these same people think we should sign a soon to be 37 year old coming off a major foot injury to a two year deal. Seems very contradictory to me.

Just ask yourself this simple question......If David Ortiz was the DH of the White Sox instead of the Red Sox last year, who here would being jumping at the idea of signing him to a 2-24 million dollar contract? Seriously? Who would make that suggestion even? I predict nobody would if they were honest.

I would offer him the qualifying offer. If he takes it, thats fine. If he doesn't, get the pick and get younger. I predict he would not get a better offer and he would take the 1 year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

"if Ortiz gets 2 yr contract, I wanna see him returning slimmer, healthier, and in shape.  He's gotta play more than 90 games at DH spot. "

In case you didn't notice he came into this year much slimer than I've seen him in years.  It's not easy to loose weight and he did it to impove his ability to contriburte to the Red Sox.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

This deal is actually a no-brainer thanks to the very generous gift the Sox received from the Los Angeles Dodgers Front Office. It's the right move, and it's not going to hamstring them at all long term, regardless of what happens. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Any bozo GM would make the deal to keep Ortiz. This is far from a brilliant move.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

Any bozo GM would make the deal to keep Ortiz. This is far from a brilliant move.

OK, you are obviously just wanting to smash the FO.  I don't see one person who is calling this move brilliant.  Its not brilliant.  just the right play.  

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

As one of those people who had doubts about the Red Sox resigning Ortiz, I give all involved a lot of credit...Ortiz has a lot of loyalty to the Red Sox, and it is showing...Good for him....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Ortiz deserves a two-year deal.  He has done a lot of great things for Red Sox Nation (especially during the 2004 ALCS). 

Ortiz is a loyal Red Sox (same as Mike Lowell) unlike Johnny Damon who is a big pile of elephant dung.  LOL

Sections
Shortcuts