Ortiz accepts arbitration.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Ortiz accepts arbitration.

Yup, the Red Sox will be on the hook for $14M+ for 2012 for David Ortiz unless he accepts a multiyear deal.

It's great to half a DH only on the club making that much money. Not sure why they offered arbitration? No one was going to give up a first round draft pick for him, especially with the new CBA where teams HAVE TO abide by the slot money dictated by MLB.

I would have much rather had Cuddyer at $8.5M per year and use the extra money for pitching. Now they don't have money for pitching and will have to go cheap to fill out the roster.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: Ortiz accepts arbitration.

Maz hit the nail on the head. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Well I am stuck with him now, I would just as soon not offer him a multi and let him get the high salary for one year. He should still hit 25-30 homers and drive in 90 runs.  

We are about to see just how fair arbitration really isn't.

On related note - if he does not get a multi how long before he starts whining about security and feeling disrespected? "I am a beast, I am strong as hell" Ortiz.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Ortiz accepts arbitration.:
    Yup, the Red Sox will be on the hook for $14M+ for 2012 for David Ortiz unless he accepts a multiyear deal. It's great to half a DH only on the club making that much money. Not sure why they offered arbitration? No one was going to give up a first round draft pick for him, especially with the new CBA where teams HAVE TO abide by the slot money dictated by MLB. I would have much rather had Cuddyer at $8.5M per year and use the extra money for pitching. Now they don't have money for pitching and will have to go cheap to fill out the roster.
    Posted by ADG

Papi is the best DH in baseball and 14mil may sound like a lot but if he keeps performing I still prefer him over others in the middle of our lineup.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Change the OP title to "The Beast Accepts Arb."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from No1NosMe. Show No1NosMe's posts

In Response to Re: Ortiz accepts arbitration.:
    Change the OP title to "The Beast Accepts Arb."
    Posted by BurritoT

Nah... "Red Sox Snooker Themselves".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Arb may go as high as 16 million considering the numbers Papi put up in 2011.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Ortiz is a Sox icon. Would not like to see him in another uniform. Besides , he is still productive.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He won't play in NL parks. 

If we ever make the WS, we'll have a $13-15M player on the bench for 3-4 games.

As for feeling disrespected, his agent must have told him the top offers out there. If there was better than what he's getting here, he'd be walkin'.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Ortiz true value is one year and about 10M max, due to age. But if any Red Sox player has earned a golden parachute, Ortiz is it. He earned by virtue of his 2011 production levels, and by virtue of what he has meant to the history of the Red Sox. That doesn't mean the moment he is not one of the better league hitters he needs to be gifted a roster spot, it simply means he has earned another year and a retirement bonus. Ortiz was one of the best hitters in the AL, last year. Odds increase every year that he will not remain there.

I would like to see Ortiz agree to a 1 year contract at base 12.75, a mutual option for 2013 with a team buyout of 2.25M. While a 2 year contract would provide CBT cushion, I do not want to see Ortiz rapidly decline in 2012 and then put the Red Sox in the position of having to release him during 2013. Lowell, Wakefield and Varitek should have been released before their contracts and Red Sox careers ended.

But, Cherington's alleged offer of 2 years and 18M is both fair and close to the 2012 value base. The final year is most certainly a good will gift, because there is likely no such 2 year 20M market.

Frankly, Ortiz should accept the 2 year 18M, which is truly a generous gesture on the 2nd year. It is a compromise that helps both sides, and hopefully will mean that Ortiz will realize that he needs to retire during or at the end of this contract, before he reaches the parisitic status that Varitek and Wakefield reached.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Ortiz at 13.5M in the WS and sitting on the bench will be a welcome sight, if he has a year as good or near 2011 and helps the Red Sox get to the WS and win their first playoff game in a long time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Why take $18M/2 when your offer could possibly give him $15M/1?

($12.75M + $2.25M team buyout)

"I would like to see Ortiz agree to a 1 year contract at base 12.75, a mutual option for 2013 with a team buyout of 2.25M."

If he stinks in 2012, he makes $15M and could still probably get more than $3M in 2013.
    If he does great in 2012, he makes $12.75M and opts out of the 2013 deal (You never mentioned what the base is for 2013).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BREDSOXFAN. Show BREDSOXFAN's posts

i just want to know why he was bitching about security in a multi year deal and then just turns around and goes for the money and hurts the team he says he loves,and want to end his careere with?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Ortiz accepts arbitration.":
    He won't play in NL parks.  If we ever make the WS, we'll have a $13-15M player on the bench for 3-4 games. As for feeling disrespected, his agent must have told him the top offers out there. If there was better than what he's getting here, he'd be walkin'. Posted by moonslav59
    That right there is one reason I wouldn't have minded seeing him go. This team is so handicapped in NL parks, winning a WS game there is a pipe dream.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

i just want to know why he was bitching about security in a multi year deal and then just turns around and goes for the money and hurts the team he says he loves,and want to end his careere with?
    Posted by BREDSOXFAN

It's always about the money, the money, the money...regardless of the words that roll out of their mouth.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

It's a 1 year deal for a guy who is coming off a great year!  This is good news!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Why take $18M/2 when your offer could possibly give him $15M/1?

I just said I would rather he take 1 year at 12.75 and buyout. If not, instead of arbitration and a potential 15M or more award, I would like to see him take 18M and 2 years.

But, since you injected it, it is quite possible Ortiz will not find 2 or 3M in 2013. Decline at that age is rapid and finds all old players.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Well I am stuck with him now, I would just as soon not offer him a multi and let him get the high salary for one year. He should still hit 25-30 homers and drive in 90 runs.   We are about to see just how fair arbitration really isn't. On related note - if he does not get a multi how long before he starts whining about security and feeling disrespected? "I am a beast, I am strong as hell" Ortiz.
    Posted by BurritoT

He better not. He could have declined arbitration and shopped for a multi-year deal out there right?  As they say, he made his bed this time.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

He won't play in NL parks.  If we ever make the WS, we'll have a $13-15M player on the bench for 3-4 games. As for feeling disrespected, his agent must have told him the top offers out there. If there was better than what he's getting here, he'd be walkin'.
    Posted by moonslav59

moon - Well said. They should not have offered arb. The Red Sox outsmarted themselves and now they are stuck. Michael Cuddyer would have been much better, and cheaper, and would allow guys like Youk, Gonzo, etc. to DH once in a while.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Posted by BREDSOXFAN

Because he's selfish like he always has. At least now, he can't complain about security. He accepted arbitration and he didn't have to.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Papi walked, I'd not want Cudd. I'd have spent the savings on pitching and a cheap Rh'd platoon OF'er like Cody Ross.

PS  I never said we should not have offered arb.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I'm glad he's going to be back. I like having an older veteran on my team. People need to get off his back with these descriptions calling him selfish, etc.

Overall, Ortiz has been a positive in all aspects. Is he perfect? No. But who among us wants to be judged on our worst moments.

His worst "crime" is that because his contract has been up for renewal (option last year, FA this year) the past two years, reporters have asked him his thoughts on the subject from time to time and he answered honestly. He really hasn't moaned and groaned about the contract. When he was asked, he said he wanted a multi-year.

Big Freakin' Deal. It's not the media that blows this out of proportions. It's the fans -- or at least some fans.

And as for the news conference incident with Francona about the RBI. Who knows what the real story was about that. But a guy is great nine times out of 10 times and what -- we're going to judge him on that one bad moment.. Gee -- it must be nice, those of you who will judge him on that one bad moment, to live such perfect lives yourself.

Welcome back Papi.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Why take $18M/2 when your offer could possibly give him $15M/1? I just said I would rather he take 1 year at 12.75 and buyout. If not, instead of arbitration and a potential 15M or more award, I would like to see him take 18M and 2 years. But, since you injected it, it is quite possible Ortiz will not find 2 or 3M in 2013. Decline at that age is rapid and finds all old players.
    Posted by hankwilliams

I am starting to sense u2 are becoming buddies again - good to see.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Ortiz could have been signed to a 2yr $20 deal with incentives back in October. But we were too busy crying over Theo's departure and floundering in disarray. Then poor Cherington tries to go cheap and insist on $18 million instead of $20. Bah! So the whole excersize in futility will now cost us $15 million this yr and $17 next, assuming we can even sign him next season if he has another good yr. So add up the $5 million lost this season, and the $7 million or so for next ( or the full replacement cost if he walks), and you've just handed away 65% of Heath Bell's cost for 2yrs. Bah!!~!!!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I am a beast, I am strong as hell... yadda yadda.

Sections
Shortcuts