Ortiz appeals ....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

Ortiz appeals ....

Dan Shaughnessy ‏@Dan_Shaughnessy 40m

David Ortiz appealing for a single regarding his popup in an 8-0 loss is embarrassing. Not even Wade Boggs would do that. Agree?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Ortiz appeals ....

Ortiz said if it was a no hitter, he had no problem with it being ruled an error. Since Ortiz' hit in the 9th broke up the no hitter, it should be changed to a hit, because under the rules for the past 100 years, that it was one. My guess is, it will be changed, rightfully so

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Looking at this SOX offense, they should never be too proud to beg.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to prknsdnld's comment:

In response to 2013soxchamps' comment:
    [QUOTE]

That ball should have been caught by Rios. Farrell saying the ball "was never touched" and not qualified to be an error is wrong. And Ortiz' selfish attempt for a hit  is reminiscent of his crashing in on a Francona post game press conference a few years ago to scream about a scoring change that cost him an RBI. 

Dan Shaughnessy ‏@Dan_Shaughnessy 40m

David Ortiz appealing for a single regarding his popup in an 8-0 loss is embarrassing. Not even Wade Boggs would do that. Agree?

Ask not what baseball can do for you. Ask what you can do for baseball.

[/QUOTE]

Why?? It was the wrong call. It was hometown cooking, because of the situation. It should be changed 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RigatoniT. Show RigatoniT's posts

I can see it from both sides, personally I would not appeal if I were him (but was me lol).....   so little gain on his part other than to look petty.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Hand-on-heart, I cannot imagine anyone caring about such a meaningless issue unless they had a motive, an anti-Ortiz motive.  Who cares?  Why?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

Hand-on-heart, I cannot imagine anyone caring about such a meaningless issue unless they had a motive, an anti-Ortiz motive.  Who cares?  Why?

Principal. It was the wrong call, for the wrong reason. That reason no longer exists, and should be changed 

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

while I can't argue with that ;-)

2 those who say it was the wrong call

it wasn't

do they call it wrong most times ............maybe so

but that doesn't make it the wrong call

The rule states:

It is not necessary that the fielder touch the ball to be charged with an error. If a ground ball goes through a fielder’s legs or a fly ball falls untouched and, in the scorer’s judgment, the fielder could have handled the ball with ordinary effort, the official scorer shall charge such fielder with an error. For example, the official scorer shall charge an infielder with an error when a ground ball passes to either side of such infielder if, in the official scorer’s judgment, a fielder at that position making ordinary effort would have fielded such ground ball and retired a runner. The official scorer shall charge an outfielder with an error if such outfielder allows a fly ball to drop to the ground if, in the official scorer’s judgment, an outfielder at that position making ordinary effort would have caught such fly ball.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Here's the pertinent part:

"The official scorer shall not score mental mistakes or misjudgments as errors unless a specific rule prescribes otherwise."

"That's a base hit whether we like it or not," Shannon said of a misjudged fly ball in the New York Times. "As a practical matter, we don't charge errors on those plays. No one says that baseball is entirely fair."

And that's how it has been scored, in the vast majority of instances, forever. Think of how many times you've seen balls fall between fielders, and have been scored as hits. Weller notes that Rios called off Odor, then did not make the play, which inclined him to charge the outfielder with an error. But take a look at this play (video here) from Game 1 of last season's division series between the Rays and Red Sox, in which right-fielder Wil Myers can be seen calling off the center fielder on this fly ball by David Ortiz, then inexplicably pulls off the ball. Ortiz was given a double. Using Weller's reasoning, that should have been an error on Myers.

Shannon's view has always been the prevailing one, and in this case, should have applied.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/36815/it-should-have-been-scored-a-hit" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/36815/it-should-have-been-scored-a-hit

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

After the play, Remy said it should be scored an error but be changed to a hit if someone else gets a hit. 

Clemens was in the hunt for the Cy Young.  A batter hit a tough grounder to third and Boggs couldn't come up with it.  It should have been a hit but the gave Boggs an error because it helped Clemens.  During the game, Boggs sent a message to the scorekeeper asking that the error be changed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Embarrassing and wrong...you dont have to touch the ball at all to be scored an error and it happens in the infield all the time...what a jerk Papi is about these meaningless stats....

As always - 100% correct!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Moreover, why should Ortiz care? His team got taken to the woodshed that day. It smacks of selfishness-and I am an Ortiz fan. He should be more focused on winning today's game than appealing a play that happened two days ago in a blowout loss.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I couldn't care less.  I came in to see what others wrote.  I'm mostly just happy that he was annoyed enough to hit a 2B and a HR last night.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I couldn't care less.  I came in to see what others wrote.  I'm mostly just happy that he was annoyed enough to hit a 2B and a HR last night.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, he has a great game and his is obsessing over that? wth cares? weird

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Moreover, why should Ortiz care? His team got taken to the woodshed that day. It smacks of selfishness-and I am an Ortiz fan. He should be more focused on winning today's game than appealing a play that happened two days ago in a blowout loss.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

[/QUOTE]

Yes, in a game where they lost so badly, just move on.  Analysts will still talk about a one hitter, a two hitter not so much.  I missed the hit that ortiz actually got.  Did he call time at the plate like he has done in other no hitters late in the game?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Principal. It was the wrong call, for the wrong reason. That reason no longer exists, and should be changed 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

But if they change it, it will be like admitting the official scorer bent the rules to keep the NH alive. They won't do that on their own, MLB might make them, but I don't think they'd do it on their own.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

But if they change it, it will be like admitting the official scorer bent the rules to keep the NH alive. They won't do that on their own, MLB might make them, but I don't think they'd do it on their own.

[/QUOTE]

One big reason why they should not change it is, remember the blown call at first base that broke up a no hitter.  They never reversed that decision.  Did that pitcher even make an appeal?  I remember the next game both the pitcher and and the first base umpire meeting  and shaking hands, but no reversal on the call.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i dont care who the batter is or what team he plays for - every time - EVERY TIME - you see an in between flyball land untouched between an OF'er and IF'er it is ruled a HIT.  every time.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

The only reason this even made the sports section, was due to it being Ortiz name attached.

Dan Shaughnessy or Pete Abe never would have touched this story if it were any other player.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Dan Shaughnessy ‏' what if it was arod appealing'

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Dan Shaughnessy.......you could have stopped right there :-)