Ortiz blames media for being hit by pitch-Do you agree with him?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr.Bump. Show Mr.Bump's posts

Ortiz blames media for being hit by pitch-Do you agree with him?

by Rob Bradford/WEEI

NEW YORK -- For the first time in his career, David Ortiz was hit by a pitch against the Yankees when CC Sabathia plunked the designated hitter in the fourth inning of the Red Sox' 8-3 win over the Yanks Thursday night.

Many identified the cause for the hit by pitch as Ortiz flipping his bat following a home run in the first game of the teams' series, or the fact that the Red Sox pitchers hit five Yankees batters in the three games at Yankee Stadium (including three by Sox starter Josh Beckett in the series finale). But the Red Sox DH chose to pinpoint another cause for the fastball that found Ortiz' right thigh.

"I want to thank you guys -- not all of you, most of you -- for the stat today of me not getting hit by the Yankees. Finally got hit," Ortiz said after informing the media he would not be taking questions but simply giving his statement. "Hope you [expletives] are happy."

Beckett also chose to go down a similar path as his teammate when discussing the matter.

"I'm still trying to figure out if David got hit for something I did or ESPN stirred up," the righty said.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Re: Ortiz blames media for being hit by pitch-Do you agree with him?

yes, partially the media made a big deal about him never getting hit and pressing girardi on the whole flipping of the bat deal sabathia almost had to do it

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Sad that the New York media is now managing the Stankees, by putting the directive to plunk Papi on Girardi's "to do list".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

when i see SABATHIA on the mound with his balloon uniform, it appears he should be throwing PIES and not BASEBALLS.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

He got plunked because the Sox pitchers are hitting Yankee batters with reckless abandon.  And he was the perfect candidate.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

"hitting YANKEE batters with RECKLESS ABANDON."

i thought the SOX pitchers were hitting YANKEE batters with baseballs.

btw, i like how you referred to them as batters and not hitters.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotironskillet. Show hotironskillet's posts

So really what Ortiz is saying is that the Yankees are a bunch of sheep that will do whatever the media tells them? I guess I could see that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Big Papi is 100% correct.

He was not hit because he is making Yankee pitchers look bad, he was not hit because Jeter , A-Rod and Teixeira were hit, he was hit because the media made a big deal about it...begged the Yankees to do it...and when there seemed like no way the Yankees could NOT do it, they did it.

Big freakin' deal! Did Ortiz seem the least bit intimidated by this?

No.

Is he all of a sudden going to ask out of games when Sabbathia pitches?

No.

What did this accomplish?

It made Ortiz mad.

It makes me happy, though, because if Ortiz hits .325 when he's not mad, imagine what he will do now that he is really p*ssed off.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

User ImageSad that the New York media is now managing the Stankees, by putting the directive to plunk Papi on Girardi's "to do list".                                  

ny media have been calling for ortiz and manny to be thrown at 4 yrs

but this is the 1st time 

I recall them stoping him from getting out of the way

Ortiz blames media for being hit by pitch

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Oh, I don.t know.  Lester hitting Tex, and Beckett hitting a few batters may have had something to do with it.

He's lucky he got hit in the side.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

The NY media and fans have been calling for papi to get plunked for years.  If that little love tap that CC gave him was to make up for years of "injustice", hey, I'll take it.  I'm sure Papi will too.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

I think he should blame the right people, the sawx staff that has been hitting the Yankee players for years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Nice try Babe,

But your buddy Joba has taken some pretty good shots at Youk.

Yankees pitchers have their hands full right now just trying to get outs.

The media has just made them look stupid and cowardly by stirring up this witch hunt. Hitting Papi was not very effective as he continued to tear apart Yankee pitching even after the fact.

This was the most stupid thing the Yankees could have done. If they had not hit Ortiz, they might have pulled out a win in last night's game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I didn't have a problem with what C.C. did last night. He had to send a message (be more careful, Josh), which is what we'd want our guy to do if the situation were reversed.

I don't think for a second any of Josh's HBPs were intentional, but as I say C.C. had to respond. He did it the right way, and Papi took it like the man he is.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Ortiz blames media for being hit by pitch-Do you agree with him?:
    [QUOTE]I think he should blame the right people, the sawx staff that has been hitting the Yankee players for years.
    Posted by --The--Babe---[/QUOTE]

you speak the truth here babe.  but to be fair, there is no need for any blame for CC's little love tap.  It was kinda sweet:  like "Papi, everyone wants me to plunk you to make up for years of inequity in the plunking department, sooo, here, i hope this doesn't hurt too much, I'm aiming for your butt and i promise I won't put any mustard on it.  Ooh, I apologize in advance."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

hey baby,

if by players, you mean yank-em pitchers, then yes, the SOX  have been hitting them for years.

btw, SABATHIA is being laughed at by BOB GIBSON as we speak.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Frankly, the Sox got off easy with only Papi being hit, after Lester plunked two on Tuesday, and Wake got one of his own Wed (just a mosquito bite, mind you).
    We got 6, they got 1.....sounds like a winner to me!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

The HBP on Ortiz was somewhat media driven.If ESPN hadn't made such a big deal about him never getting hit,Youkilis would have probably been the person plunked instead.The Yankees had to retailiate at some point,the Sox had hit 5 batters this series(before Papi's HBP),even though I believe most were unitentional.
       As much as I like Papi,he needs to exactly what he told Girardi to do "Take it like a man.I'm done with that".

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

So Girardi is so thick skulled that it took him 4 years to do what the Stankee Media Management Team told him to do.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

The media,especially ESPN,certainly exacerbated the sitituation if they didn't initiate it.It is almost impossible to believe that they weren't espousing the Yankees pitchers drilling a few Red Sox hitters.Poor form at best and irresponsable at worst,but what do expect from ESPN>

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The stupid part about pro sports is how these "macho" feelings dominate these situations.

Jesus is a saviour to so many of these athletes who point to the sky when they have a good game, or hit a homerun.

Yet, they do exactly what Jesus Christ would not do. They seek retaliation by aggressive means.

You are more of a man if you do not lower yourself to the ignorant hostile actions ( or perceived hostile actions) of your adversary.

The best thing you can do to shame your opponents in sports is to beat them not beat them up. Beating them up proves you are more primitive minded and ignorant. Beating them on the scoreboard means you are superior at what you are there to do.

It shows how our society has not progressed that much. We claim to be civilized but we act worse than animals.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

i'd pay BARD a 1,000 dollars to throw high, inside and hard at michael kay.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

In Response to Re: Ortiz blames media for being hit by pitch-Do you agree with him?:
    [QUOTE]Nice try Babe, But your buddy Joba has taken some pretty good shots at Youk. Yankees pitchers have their hands full right now just trying to get outs. The media has just made them look stupid and cowardly by stirring up this witch hunt. Hitting Papi was not very effective as he continued to tear apart Yankee pitching even after the fact. This was the most stupid thing the Yankees could have done. If they had not hit Ortiz, they might have pulled out a win in last night's game.

Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Take a look at the lopsided numbers as far as hit batsmen, not even close. I don't see how hitting ortiz had anything to do with them losing the game last night.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Ortiz blames media for being hit by pitch-Do you agree with him?:
    [QUOTE]by Rob Bradford/WEEI NEW YORK -- For the first time in his career, David Ortiz was hit by a pitch against the Yankees when CC Sabathia plunked the designated hitter in the fourth inning of the Red Sox' 8-3 win over the Yanks Thursday night. Many identified the cause for the hit by pitch as Ortiz flipping his bat following a home run in the first game of the teams' series, or the fact that the Red Sox pitchers hit five Yankees batters in the three games at Yankee Stadium (including three by Sox starter Josh Beckett in the series finale). But the Red Sox DH chose to pinpoint another cause for the fastball that found Ortiz' right thigh. "I want to thank you guys -- not all of you, most of you -- for the stat today of me not getting hit by the Yankees. Finally got hit," Ortiz said after informing the media he would not be taking questions but simply giving his statement. "Hope you [expletives] are happy." Beckett also chose to go down a similar path as his teammate when discussing the matter. "I'm still trying to figure out if David got hit for something I did or ESPN stirred up," the righty said.
    Posted by Mr.Bump[/QUOTE]

No it was Josh.  After hitting Arod he had that smug look on his face (I'm lovin' it) and the camera zoomed in on Sabbathia in the Yank dugout.  He looked up the ceiling and made a face and it was pretty obvious he was going to retaliate.  It was not that bad either, hit Ortiz in the fleshy part of his leg, and it wasn't his best fastball either.  And Ortiz got the last laugh with the one hopper off the 399 mark and doing the TEXAS CLAW gesture after a stand up double. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]The stupid part about pro sports is how these "macho" feelings dominate these situations. Jesus is a saviour to so many of these athletes who point to the sky when they have a good game, or hit a homerun. Yet, they do exactly what Jesus Christ would not do. They seek retaliation by aggressive means. You are more of a man if you do not lower yourself to the ignorant hostile actions ( or perceived hostile actions) of your adversary. The best thing you can do to shame your opponents in sports is to beat them not beat them up. Beating them up proves you are more primitive minded and ignorant. Beating them on the scoreboard means you are superior at what you are there to do. It shows how our society has not progressed that much. We claim to be civilized but we act worse than animals.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Zilla,

I often agree with what you have to say on this board, but I've gotta respectfully disagree with you on this!

SPORTS is a game!  Most of the violent responses are just a part of playing the game.  Are there some guys who will always "turn the other cheek?"  Sure.......
    J.D. Drew comes to mind.  Very nice guy.  Very good LFer.  Beautiful swing!!!!!
    BUT.... the way he plays does make you wonder just how much passion the guy really has for the game.  He is a devout Christian & I admire how he keeps his emotions in check.  Fair or not though, I personally think bringing this mentality onto the field keeps him from playing like a dirtdog often times!  JUST MY OPINION........  BUT sometimes I think he's a bit TOO NICE!  TOO SOFT!  Let's face it, J.D. Drew is not a guy who is going to help FIRE UP his teammates!!!!  Tek, taking on A-Rod in 04!!!!!  Violent?? Sure!  Is there ANY DOUBT that it helped fire up the team????  NONE!

Retaliation is a part of the game.  It should be done "cleanly" (let's say.... not at the head)!  An occasional brawl???  Hell yeh!

THE BOSTON BRUINS!!!!!  Sorry!  BUT their comeback is based upon some violent retaliation!  CLEAN, but VIOLENT!  SORRY!  but I could not enjoy the Boston Bruins without the kind of "smash mouth" hockey they are building their comeback on!  It's actually a beautiful thing to watch!  :)

Come on buddy!  :)  It's sports!  I'm a pretty nice guy off the field, but when I took the ice or field, "Mr. Nice Guy" was the last thing you would ever call me!  If you haven't seriously played competitive physical contact sports, you could never understand this!  Not saying you haven't!  I don't disrespect what you're trying to say, I just happen to profoundly disagree!  I personally could not play sports without that slightly violent edge!  

:)  Enjoy!  What a season!!!  :) 

Sections
Shortcuts