Ortiz blames media for being hit by pitch-Do you agree with him?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

Re: Ortiz blames media for being hit by pitch-Do you agree with him?

HEY ZILLA,

these athletes can point at the sky all they want; i doubt anyone's paying attention.

as for using religion to rule out violence in sports, c'mon man, more people are killed because of religion than just about anything else.

jesus would probably have been a good manager. torre-like

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

p.s.

I don't think that the exhibition of faith by many of these guys & the occasional display of violent retaliation in A GAME, are mutually exclusive.  They get that it's a game!  Even a "good" Christian PLAYER can get into it without casting aside his overall faith.  IT'S A GAME!  We're not talking about starting bar fights or beating their girlfriends!
    :)  :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Actually, I think a lot of these guys point to the sky in remembrance of deceased loved ones. I think Ortiz may be thinking about his Mom when he does. Nothing wrong with that kind of tribute.

As to violence and retaliation in sports, it is too often childish. Playing hard and being aggressive is fine as long as you act like a man and play fair. Is "sportsmanship" just an empty cliche?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sti328. Show sti328's posts

There are 5 guys in the lineup that we don t want to see getting hit. Pede, Youk, Papi, AGon and CC. Getting one of these guys hurt for a long period of time will not be good. As for Papi's rant, he just saying that cause he won't say he is frustrated at Fatty and the Yanks. Obviously he is annoyed with Giradi's comment on the bat flip and then the bean sums it all. He is just saying that its the media's fault and we all know that he really meant Giradi and the Yanks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sti328. Show sti328's posts

In Response to Re: Ortiz blames media for being hit by pitch-Do you agree with him?:
    [QUOTE]Do you know who the active leaders in HBPs are?  1) Giambi 2) Jeter 3) A-Rod.  Texeira will join them before his contract is through.  If you take out of the equation the guys who consider HBPs part of their game, the numbers are probably pretty even.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

That means the Yankees are not just hated by the Sox, they are hated by every other team in the league and that is why they get hit the most.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

In Response to Re: Ortiz blames media for being hit by pitch-Do you agree with him?:
    [QUOTE]p.s. I don't think that the exhibition of faith by many of these guys & the occasional display of violent retaliation in A GAME, are mutually exclusive.  They get that it's a game!  Even a "good" Christian PLAYER can get into it without casting aside his overall faith.  IT'S A GAME!  We're not talking about starting bar fights or beating their girlfriends! :)  :)
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE]

So, you think Jesus would have thrown at Ortiz?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ortiz blames media for being hit by pitch-Do you agree with him? : So, you think Jesus would have thrown at Ortiz?
    Posted by Roadrunner9234[/QUOTE]

Assuming jesus was his brother's keeper, he certainly would have.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

I'm sorry Spaceman, but no mustard on it? What?  What do you call 97 MPH on hip action?

I call that, "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

"so you think jesus would have thrown at ortiz?"

yes, and with a lot more mustard than cash cow.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]I'm sorry Spaceman, but no mustard on it? What?  What do you call 97 MPH on hip action? I call that, "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!"
    Posted by cglassanos[/QUOTE]

haha.  true c-glass.  My overstatement deserves correction.  I just was trying to bait Babe.  It had some mustard on it, but it was yellow, not spicy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

A big to do about nothing the only question Ortiz should have "is what took you so long"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]Do you know who the active leaders in HBPs are?  1) Giambi 2) Jeter 3) A-Rod.  Texeira will join them before his contract is through.  If you take out of the equation the guys who consider HBPs part of their game, the numbers are probably pretty even.

Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Nice try. It just so happens that the three you mentioned also happen to be in the top 12 active players games played. Obviously, the more games you play the more chances you have to get hit.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ortiz blames media for being hit by pitch-Do you agree with him? : That means the Yankees are not just hated by the Sox, they are hated by every other team in the league and that is why they get hit the most.

Posted by sti328[/QUOTE]

Except for the fact that Arod and Giambi played half their careers with other teams

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye!"

You hear this stuff, joke about it and you think , "Hey , it's sports!!!...just a game...."

...until you see that replay of Tony Conigliaro writhing in agonizing pain. A wonderful young man, great talent. maybe not intentional , but still...

Then you think about Mike Piazza getting beaned by Clemens.

And then all this macho intentionally throwing at people is not "just a game" anymore.

Especially when it doesn't ever prove a damn thing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Not to mention that your list is wrong...sheesh. But I'm guessing you are used to being wrong.

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/historical/leaders.jsp?c_id=mlb&baseballScope=mlb&statType=1&sortByStat=HBP&timeFrame=3&timeSubFrame=1

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ortiz blames media for being hit by pitch-Do you agree with him? : So, you think Jesus would have thrown at Ortiz?
    Posted by Roadrunner9234[/QUOTE]

LOL!!!  :)P

Of course not!  That's ridiculous!  Why on Earth would Jesus throw at a teammate?!?!?!  That's just crazy talk!  :)  :)

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye!" You hear this stuff, joke about it and you think , "Hey , it's sports!!!...just a game...." ...until you see that replay of Tony Conigliaro writhing in agonizing pain. A wonderful young man, great talent. maybe not intentional , but still...   Then you think about Mike Piazza getting beaned by Clemens. And then all this macho intentionally throwing at people is not "just a game" anymore. Especially when it doesn't ever prove a damn thing.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Zilla,

I get where you're coming from, & the Tony C. incident brings back some really bad memories!  That was not an intentional beening as I recall.  It should be based on a pitchers intent.  Lester, for instance, was obviously not throwing at either guy he plunked!  Therefore, there should not have been an intentional plunking of Papi.  It was the definition of a perfunctory plunking...  A quid pro quo (without the quo)....  In this case, you are correct.  However, most intentional plunkings are controlled & relatively "safe."  OK  OK.....  so I'm reaching!  :)    It is what it is!  It's part of the game, & every guy knows it.  Personally, I prefer a good "rushing of the pitcher, if a guy thinks it's intentional.

I get your point, but somebody has to stick up for good old fashioned values!  :)
    Good old fashioned tradition!  :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I never want to see a guy really get injured though!!!  I was actually worried for Tex. & his knee!  That could have been a long term injury with where it hit.......
    That was not intentional by Lester though!

p.s.   You do have a point though Zilla!  Taken under advisement counselor!  :)  :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

The real danger in sports & life comes when a guy isn't looking, or is not ready.

i.e.  The Horton hit!   Straight up fights & hard hits when a guy is ready rarely injure.  Boardings & late blind sides????  They end careers!  I know we're not talking hockey, but there are parallels to baseball.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ncsoxfan4life. Show ncsoxfan4life's posts

muck espn !! most r ny !

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye!" You hear this stuff, joke about it and you think , "Hey , it's sports!!!...just a game...." ...until you see that replay of Tony Conigliaro writhing in agonizing pain. A wonderful young man, great talent. maybe not intentional , but still...   Then you think about Mike Piazza getting beaned by Clemens. And then all this macho intentionally throwing at people is not "just a game" anymore. Especially when it doesn't ever prove a damn thing.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I was at opening day in '64 when Conigliaro went deep on his first at bat I was also in attendance that night when Hamilton beaned him, looking back through the prism of time I know understand that Tony's batting style of crowding the plate and diving over it to get at outside pitches was a mitigating factor in his injury and with pitchers back in the day more willing to go inside and with Tony's hitting style it was a recipe for disaster 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rainbowroosie. Show rainbowroosie's posts

Yes, the media drove this frenzy...the bat toss was no big deal.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ortiz blames media for being hit by pitch-Do you agree with him? : Really?  How are Delgado and Kendall doing this year?
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]
    There's a left hook, and DOWN ... GOES ... BABE!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4286401. Show user_4286401's posts

Bears repeating. Ortiz is a bum.