Ortiz Did not have a good night last night

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Ortiz Did not have a good night last night

.....Toronto pitcher Ramon Ortiz that is..! Ortiz struggled from the first pitch..something the score did not reflect very well. The Sox got many men on base and the way Ortiz was acting in between pitches and batters reflected a man who was frustrated and a bit of a head case.

On the other hand..our Sox slugger Ortiz really seemed to enjoy himself last night. I was lucky enough to have great seats for last night's game so really got to see a lot of the things you don't get to see on TV. Ortiz may not have had an RBI  or a hit last night..but two things come to mind. ( the sociologist in me can't help but be very observant of human interaction..lol) First..Ortiz is loved by fans. Every single time he went up to the plate he got the loudest cheers of any batter. Red Sox Nation for sure loves their Big Papi.

Second..and most important...is Ortiz' interactions with other players. It's abundantly clear that in addition to his skills at the plate..Ortiz brings something to the clubhouse that you simply cannot put a price on. The players look up to him..and you can tell he keeps them loose.

I was thrilled to be at Fenway to see my favorite Sox pitcher come oh..so close to throwing a perfect game. Lester..for sure was the story of the game..but Papi standing there waiting to give Lester a giant Papi hug as he came off the field.

Although I was not thrilled with Ortiz' two year deal at first.....I am okay with it if it means that Ortiz plays the role of motivator and cheerleader in chief...in addition to his skills at the plate. Ortiz has given us a lot of great years. I hope the incessant criticism of him by all our armchair athletes eventually comes to an end..but somehow I don't think Ortiz is overly concerned by their views. When one has a lot of friends and fans...they tend to take the incessant criticism and negativity for what it is...pettiness.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Ortiz Did not have a good night last night

good stuff

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

+100

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

.....Toronto pitcher Ramon Ortiz that is..! Ortiz struggled from the first pitch..something the score did not reflect very well. The Sox got many men on base and the way Ortiz was acting in between pitches and batters reflected a man who was frustrated and a bit of a head case.

On the other hand..our Sox slugger Ortiz really seemed to enjoy himself last night. I was lucky enough to have great seats for last night's game so really got to see a lot of the things you don't get to see on TV. Ortiz may not have had an RBI  or a hit last night..but two things come to mind. ( the sociologist in me can't help but be very observant of human interaction..lol) First..Ortiz is loved by fans. Every single time he went up to the plate he got the loudest cheers of any batter. Red Sox Nation for sure loves their Big Papi.

Second..and most important...is Ortiz' interactions with other players. It's abundantly clear that in addition to his skills at the plate..Ortiz brings something to the clubhouse that you simply cannot put a price on. The players look up to him..and you can tell he keeps them loose.

I was thrilled to be at Fenway to see my favorite Sox pitcher come oh..so close to throwing a perfect game. Lester..for sure was the story of the game..but Papi standing there waiting to give Lester a giant Papi hug as he came off the field.

Although I was not thrilled with Ortiz' two year deal at first.....I am okay with it if it means that Ortiz plays the role of motivator and cheerleader in chief...in addition to his skills at the plate. Ortiz has given us a lot of great years. I hope the incessant criticism of him by all our armchair athletes eventually comes to an end..but somehow I don't think Ortiz is overly concerned by their views. When one has a lot of friends and fans...they tend to take the incessant criticism and negativity for what it is...pettiness.

Ramon Ortiz pitched five innings and allowed one run. I would take that any day from any of our SP. David Ortiz went 0 for 3 with a strikeout, had a GIDP, and was up every time with a runner in scoring position, batting none of them in. You have the wrong Ortiz as having a tough night.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Ramon Ortiz pitched five innings and allowed one run. I would take that any day from any of our SP. David Ortiz went 0 for 3 with a strikeout, had a GIDP, and was up every time with a runner in scoring position, batting none of them in. You have the wrong Ortiz as having a tough night.

LOL....so true.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to ms_obstinate's comment:

I was hoping you would post about your trip to Fenway! So glad you did! 

What you post about Big Papi, is exactly why I have always loved this guy. He is a team leader. Watching him in person is sometimes better than the game itself. I've been to Fenway many times over the years....usually I buy the cheaper seats and eventually we make our way down by the dugout...even if it's for the last inning. Ortiz loves his fans, he smiles and waves to the kids who want to get a cell phone shot of him...he'll sign a ball or two if time permits. During rain delays, he is usually very animated in the dug out. He's not a ball player whose ego is in control, and that's why I find it amusing when so called baseball fans lash out at him. These so called fans can only dream about having a quarter of the like-a-bility factor Ortiz has.

I'm glad you had fun last night.... And I really would have loaned you my Ortiz shirt....lol. 

Thanks..and really the reason I posted what I did is because sometimes you forget that when you are at Fenway...you see more to the story..so to speak. I appreciate the offer of the Ortiz shirt..but I was really in it for Lester.. ( well..and Saltie too if I'm being honest!)

We were really lucky to have great seats and it is a night I will not soon forget...traffic nightmare and all :-)

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

Interesting, I see you have doubled posted this and I put up a nice polite response on the other one and it was removed.

In short, you are right that the pitcher Ortiz had a bad night, but our Ortiz was not able to get a hit off that Ortiz and his bad night.

I hope you had a nice evening, it was a great evening for baseball.

Also Cricket:  Happy Mother's Day.  I remember that out of all the holidays and Holidays, this was the most important to you.  Your son always seem to out do himself every year with making your day special.

If my thread was double posted..it wasn't intentional. This is the only one I see( if you are even referring to me). Added to that..I don't ask for posts to be removed. I don't hit the abuse button. I used to..but stopped doing it a while ago.

Yes..it was a really nice night for baseball..much nicer than I expected it would be considering most of the week I thought it was going to rain.

True about Ortiz..but I think that you and Pumpsie missed the point of my post. The numbers didn't tell the whole story. Ramon Ortiz was decidedly not having a good time last night..whereas our Ortiz was. I guess the point was that at the end of the day...it's nice to remember that baseball is..after all..just a game. I would have loved to see Ortiz get a hit...but I was pretty happy to see Salty break his slump last night.

Finally..thanks. Holidays are never really a big deal to me..but my son always makes Mother's Day special. Not a day goes by that I don't thank God that he is such an amazing person..who has grown into an amazing man.

Some things at Fenway have not changed..lol. The food is still terrible and over priced!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I was hoping you would post about your trip to Fenway! So glad you did! 

What you post about Big Papi, is exactly why I have always loved this guy. He is a team leader. Watching him in person is sometimes better than the game itself. I've been to Fenway many times over the years....usually I buy the cheaper seats and eventually we make our way down by the dugout...even if it's for the last inning. Ortiz loves his fans, he smiles and waves to the kids who want to get a cell phone shot of him...he'll sign a ball or two if time permits. During rain delays, he is usually very animated in the dug out. He's not a ball player whose ego is in control, and that's why I find it amusing when so called baseball fans lash out at him. These so called fans can only dream about having a quarter of the like-a-bility factor Ortiz has.

I'm glad you had fun last night.... And I really would have loaned you my Ortiz shirt....lol. 

Thanks..and really the reason I posted what I did is because sometimes you forget that when you are at Fenway...you see more to the story..so to speak. I appreciate the offer of the Ortiz shirt..but I was really in it for Lester.. ( well..and Saltie too if I'm being honest!)

We were really lucky to have great seats and it is a night I will not soon forget...traffic nightmare and all :-)

I never thought by being at a game gave me more of an insight on the pitchers.  Watching on tv there are the break downs and replays.  Being there for me was a better advantage of the fielding plays.  How far an outfielder has to go to catch a ball, or how they jump on a particular pitch. Being there gives one more of an advantage on just how far and hard the position players can throw.  The long tosses between innings are impressive.

I know. It's easier keeping track of stats and numbers when you are watching a game on TV. Live at the game there is too much to distract. I do agree with you that you get a better perspective of the distance than you can ever get on TV. I wasn't basing my comments on analysis of the pitchers and pitches..etc. To be honest...it was the 4th inning before I realized Lester had a perfect game going.  What I was trying to get at was that in spite of the score..Ramon Ortiz seemed like he was struggling. It was just a situation where the numbers don't tell the whole story.  By the 4th inning he had thrown twice as many pitches as Lester. Even without the runs on the scoreboard...the Sox batters make him throw a lot of pitches.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Cricket:

Wasn't implying that you had the post removed, but someone did.  Connan saw the double post as well, he left a comment after mine like he always does.

I understand that Ortiz, david was having a good time and not the other.  Perhaps if our david stops clowning around, he will hit again soon

Okay...no worries. I just wanted to be clear.

I am okay with Ortiz going a few games without hitting...my general philosophy of a team sport is that you live and die as a team..not as an individual.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Cricket:

Wasn't implying that you had the post removed, but someone did.  Connan saw the double post as well, he left a comment after mine like he always does.

I understand that Ortiz, david was having a good time and not the other.  Perhaps if our david stops clowning around, he will hit again soon

I am okay with Ortiz going a few games without hitting...my general philosophy of a team sport is that you live and die as a team..not as an individual.

Good debate, whether baseball is more of a team or invidual sport.  No one seems to care if baseball players get along, until they start losing.

It's supposed to be more about the team...but it seems that for years it became more about the individual. Although I was a big fan of Francona...one my by biggest pet peeves with him was that he made decisions that were in the best interests of individual players rather than what was best for the team.

Your second statement is spot on. Case in point..if the Miami Heat ever started losing games you'd see a ton of coverage about how the players don't get along. (and it's clear they don't)

Of course..the other way to look at it is...do teams win consistently and win lots of championships when they have a lot of superstars..but not a lot of chemistry?  I don't think so.Look at what happened to the Yankees.

Double edged sword I suppose..since it's the individual superstars who probably drive ticket sales.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Cricket:

Good debate, whether baseball is more of a team or invidual sport.  No one seems to care if baseball players get along, until they start losing.

It's supposed to be more about the team...but it seems that for years it became more about the individual. Although I was a big fan of Francona...one my by biggest pet peeves with him was that he made decisions that were in the best interests of individual players rather than what was best for the team.

Your second statement is spot on. Case in point..if the Miami Heat ever started losing games you'd see a ton of coverage about how the players don't get along. (and it's clear they don't)

Of course..the other way to look at it is...do teams win consistently and win lots of championships when they have a lot of superstars..but not a lot of chemistry?  I don't think so.Look at what happened to the Yankees.

Double edged sword I suppose..since it's the individual superstars who probably drive ticket sales.

You are too good a person :)

It is a blessing and a curse...lol....but the difference is I am not a pushover anymore...:-)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

well said Pumpsie:  There is no doubt that everyone loves David.  But love does not win games.

David Ortiz DID have a tough night last night. However, his total body of work this season is still very good, and I expect that at the end of the season he will be hitting at least .800 OPS, and that he will be the top DH in the league. I was responding only to the game from last night. I think the OP was off base.