Ortiz embarrasses the Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Re: Ortiz embarrasses the Red Sox

In Response to Re: Ortiz embarrasses the Red Sox:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ortiz embarrasses the Red Sox : Do you have any idea what Papi could do to a person? He didn't throw the first punch. Watch the replay.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

who said anything about the 1st punch

not me, because it's irrelevant

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxNation4Ever. Show RedSoxNation4Ever's posts

I do not need a Yankee Fan to post at Boston.Com to make a guess as to what embarrasses the Red Sox or does not embarrass the Red Sox.  We are in first place and doing quite well. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ortiz embarrasses the Red Sox : who said anything about the 1st punch not me, because it's irrelevant
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

It's hardly irrelevant!

I'll state it again: Look at the replay.
    Gregg and Weiters obviously created intent.

Recall, Papi put the O's away with a first inning 3-run dinger.
    They he literally knocks Bergenson out of the game with a scorcher off his arm.

Twice the O's have been embarrassed with lopsided scores.

Then every pitch to Papi by Gregg was inside.
    When Papi warned him, Weiters subsequently went to the mound  while the fans were chanting Papi! Papi! (I'm betting to tell Gregg "let's cool it").

Then Gregg needled him when he couldn't nail him.
    Papi as a human being may be more respected than any player in the game.
    He challenged Gregg but never threw a punch until Gregg did. Then Papi missed with an uppercut that would have deposited Gregg's head into the bleachers.

Now, if you want to draw an analogy, let's discuss that juicing, low-life AROID and how he egged Arroyo on - until Tek put him in his place.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ortiz embarrasses the Red Sox : It's hardly irrelevant! I'll state it again: Look at the replay. Gregg and Weiters obviously created intent.   Recall, Papi put the O's away with a first inning 3-run dinger. They he literally knocks Bergenson out of the game with a scorcher off his arm. Twice the O's have been embarrassed with lopsided scores. Then every pitch to Papi by Gregg was inside. When Papi warned him, Weiters subsequently went to the mound  while the fans were chanting Papi! Papi! (I'm betting to tell Gregg "let's cool it"). Then Gregg needled him when he couldn't nail him. Papi as a human being may be more respected than any player in the game. He challenged Gregg but never threw a punch until Gregg did. Then Papi missed with an uppercut that would have deposited Gregg's head into the bleachers. Now, if you want to draw an analogy, let's discuss that juicing, low-life AROID and how he egged Arroyo on - until Tek put him in his place.

Sorry to disagree, Harness, but didn't Arroyo hit ARod before he started jawing at him?  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

This thread is silly, but I'm in a silly mood:

1) Gregg and Ortiz are equally at fault in my eyes. THe first 2 weren't that bad, but were inside. The third was close, and though I understand Ortiz' frustration, to walk towards Gregg while pointing isn't cool either. So, at that point, both wrong, not a huge deal.

2) Gregg got tossed for a reason, he went WAY overboard on the popout.

3) Yes, Gregg threw the first punch, and yes he overreacted, but at that point, an angry Ortiz is lumbering towards you, you either punch or turtle up.

4) Ortiz would have knocked his head off with that uppercut, yes, but apparently most missed that right cross by Gregg that whistled past Ortiz' nose. Had that first punch connected, we'd all be up in arms about a KO'd Ortiz.

Really much ado about nothing. Showalter created this, and good for Blahtimore, I'm glad they have a pulse.

Now Izzy Alcantara, that boy knows how to rush a mound!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2uGROwr-rY

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Thank you Papi for charging the mound. The situation called for it and put the lowly O's and their over confident Manager in their place. Too bad re: suspensions, but guys this is what baseball is all about in this kind of situation....respect. Those of you out there that have actually played baseball at any level above Little League know exactly what I am talking about.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]Thank you Papi for charging the mound. The situation called for it and put the lowly O's and their over confident Manager in their place. Too bad re: suspensions, but guys this is what baseball is all about in this kind of situation....respect. Those of you out there that have actually played baseball at any level above Little League know exactly what I am talking about.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

I would have been FAR happier had Ortiz laughed at him, and simply pointed to the scoreboard. I'm not unhappy with what he did, but respect has nothing to do with it. Charging the mound isn't going to make anyone respect the Sox more...well, maybe some among us.

What Schmowalter is doing is no different than what Williams is recently being celebrated for doing in '67. He's trying to change a losing culture. I understand homerism, but c'mon, if the tables were totally reversed (as they have been in the past) everyone would be defending the pitcher (as they have in the past).

Now Ortiz WILL be suspended for a couple of games, how's that help Boston? Does that earn respect? And if Salty gets even a 1 game suspension, good luck figuring out the backup situation for a single night.

Big picture people, big picture.

Imagine the hilarity of seeing Gregg get tossed, and Ortiz waving and laughing at him as he stalks off the field. THAT would have been fantastic!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

It's not about fault either. Sometimes you SHOULD be the bigger person. And up 10-3 in the 8th is one of those times. That haymaker everyone is trumpeting is going to sit Ortiz for a few games. Were you one of those wanting Ortiz in the lineup anyway possible in the NL? There were quite a few of those, and I'm sure some are happy with his actions last night even though he;ll get sat. It was avoidable. There is a time and place for everything, this was definitely not the time, and the place doesn't change much so that's moot.

I'm the first to admit to sinking to other people's levels at times, but this wasn't one of them. I realize Gregg was the main instigator, but it doesn't matter. At the end of the day, the Orioles, in last place, lose Gregg. The Sox, battling for first, lose Ortiz. Who really won that battle? It was avoidable, that's all I was saying. I'm not condemning Ortiz, I'm not blaming him for everything, just expressing my opinion that I'd have been happier had he handled it differently.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Ortiz embarrasses the Red Sox :   I wish, one day, when a batter charges the mound, that the pitcher goes into ninja mode, freaks out , arms in the air, and charges the oncoming batter instead of running the other way.  What a collision that would be!  Ortiz is used to cookies being thrown to him, as DH's are. Looked like Gregg is tired of pu##y DH's......
    Posted by prknsdnld[/QUOTE]

I think Kyle farnsworth has that title already..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ortiz embarrasses the Red Sox : It's hardly irrelevant! I'll state it again: Look at the replay. Gregg and Weiters obviously created intent.   Recall, Papi put the O's away with a first inning 3-run dinger. They he literally knocks Bergenson out of the game with a scorcher off his arm. Twice the O's have been embarrassed with lopsided scores. Then every pitch to Papi by Gregg was inside. When Papi warned him, Weiters subsequently went to the mound  while the fans were chanting Papi! Papi! (I'm betting to tell Gregg "let's cool it"). Then Gregg needled him when he couldn't nail him. Papi as a human being may be more respected than any player in the game. He challenged Gregg but never threw a punch until Gregg did. Then Papi missed with an uppercut that would have deposited Gregg's head into the bleachers. Now, if you want to draw an analogy, let's discuss that juicing, low-life AROID and how he egged Arroyo on - until Tek put him in his place.

you said papi could of really hurt him if he wanted to

I called you a homer and

asked you if he missed with that punch on purpose

and you come back with he didn't throw the 1st punch

and I'm still saying that's  irrelevant

what proof do you have that greg couldn't hit him

if he wanted too, why couldn't he be trying to do exactly what he did

and make papi back off the plate

papi should have been thrown out after the out burst after the 3rd pitch 

and what the  _____ does this have in commom

with  arod and the guy that fights

with his mask on

"To me it's a situation where the place to get Ortiz out is in," he said, explaining his three pitches that all narrowly missed Ortiz in the eighth inning. "He acted like it was at his head. ... He's real comfortable in there. The place to get him out is in. So I'm gonna pitch him in."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]It's not about fault either. Sometimes you SHOULD be the bigger person. And up 10-3 in the 8th is one of those times. That haymaker everyone is trumpeting is going to sit Ortiz for a few games. Were you one of those wanting Ortiz in the lineup anyway possible in the NL? There were quite a few of those, and I'm sure some are happy with his actions last night even though he;ll get sat. It was avoidable. There is a time and place for everything, this was definitely not the time, and the place doesn't change much so that's moot. I'm the first to admit to sinking to other people's levels at times, but this wasn't one of them. I realize Gregg was the main instigator, but it doesn't matter. At the end of the day, the Orioles, in last place, lose Gregg. The Sox, battling for first, lose Ortiz. Who really won that battle? It was avoidable, that's all I was saying. I'm not condemning Ortiz, I'm not blaming him for everything, just expressing my opinion that I'd have been happier had he handled it differently.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

I truly understand your point ma6dragon9..But there was Too much emotion  involved at that point IMO. Id be really pzzd too if someone tried to "saw my legs off" with a couple heaters. Id Prob be just as mad if someone gave me some chin music. Dont throw at my knees or the head IMO, or your asking for it. You wanna hit someone? Throw it between the numbers or at his azz.. Sometimes you HAVE to take the punishment to stand your ground, ie; How papi reacted.. He buzzed him 3 times. The Yankees did the same. Papi needs to show these teams that it is HE who isnt going to be target practice for them.  Buck Showalter is the one behind this mentality..I blame him..

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ortiz embarrasses the Red Sox : Sadly, your IQ dropped more than it did yesterday.  Gregg clearly was the insitgator and Showalter brought his biggest reliever in specifically to hit Ortiz. Could not be any more obvious. Showalter is a mouthy punk and if I am Coma, I quietly take revenge at some point for today's game. No way do I tolerate that bush league crap.  This started in preseason with Showalter.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

I agree with both of your posts..well except for the harness part..I think Showalter started this 6th grade stuff in ST. he was wrong then and he is wrong now. Obviously he brought his CLOSER out there to "make a point"..Bush league if you ask me. I say when the time is right we trot our big boy out there..Jenks. Let someone run out to him after he gives it back to one of them...But realistically speaking, Im sure the umpires will have a word with both managers so this doesnt get out of hand.. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Big picture King.

Orioles are nowhere in the picture at all, why engage them? Beat them senseless, on the scorebaord, and move on. If the Sox are going to fight every battle to the end, they will never make it to October.

And payback for what? If intentional, and there's good reason to believe that, he missed 4 times. Payback for jawing? If they feel the need for retribution every time someone runs their mouth, well, I'll start to really question who the 12 year old is.

Yeah, it's a good idea to perpetuate the cycle. Continue it today, the O's continue it tomorrow, and the Sox have a few people joining Ortiz on the suspension list or worse. Yeah, that's absolutely brilliant. I bet you support the continued wars in Iraq and Afghanistan too. So long as everyone knows how big and bad we are, damn the consequences!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmiemac. Show jimmiemac's posts

the reason salty and johnson were tossed was because they were the first from each team's bullpen to reach the infield...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Barking at Papi when he went up the line after the pop-up got Gregg ejected, Gregg's argument should be with the Umps.  But he is a wimp, all talk, nothing else.  

The Orioles look like a AAA team out there, they boot balls, miss plays, and generaly need their manager to do a ton of work with them.  But I guess Buck chooses to throw at an All Star, it must be easier than him admitting he sucks at his job. 

Lackey today.  How perfect. Frown Could be one of those days.   Sox better score some runs ... in bunches. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ortiz embarrasses the Red Sox : Sadly, your IQ dropped more than it did yesterday.  Gregg clearly was the insitgator and Showalter brought his biggest reliever in specifically to hit Ortiz. Could not be any more obvious. Showalter is a mouthy punk and if I am Coma, I quietly take revenge at some point for today's game. No way do I tolerate that bush league crap.  This started in preseason with Showalter.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Why, of course. According to UR logic, Showalter brings in his best reliever to plunk Papi so that he can risk suspension and the team be without him for 3-5 games.  Pal, UR IQ wouldn't even register on a thermometer.

Now, would you like to quote me again on my post yesterday: "Sadly, Papi will get suspended"? - or simply eat 5 crows.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ortiz embarrasses the Red Sox : you said papi could of really hurt him if he wanted to I called you a homer and asked you if he missed with that punch on purpose and you come back with he didn't throw the 1st punch and I'm still saying that's  irrelevant  what proof do you have that greg couldn't hit him if he wanted too, why couldn't he be trying to do exactly what he did and make papi back off the plate papi should have been thrown out after the out burst after the 3rd pitch  and what the  _____ does this have in commom with  arod and the guy that fights with his mask on "To me it's a situation where the place to get Ortiz out is in," he said, explaining his three pitches that all narrowly missed Ortiz in the eighth inning. "He acted like it was at his head. ... He's real comfortable in there. The place to get him out is in. So I'm gonna pitch him in ."

Nobody on this board has any proof of anything regarding the brawl.
    Only those involved know for sure. Anything we say is a guess.

And here's mine: Gregg/Weiters used the oldest trick in the book. They pitched him inside on every pitch so as to set-up the "hit batter" pitch with the obvious alibi.
    You see this at most any level of the game. I've used it myself more than once.

I never said Gregg couldn't hit him if he wanted to. He could have done what he did on any pitch. The first pitch set up the second, which set up the 3rd...

Now, if you wish to buy into the BS about that's how to get Papi out, you are delusional. The book on Papi also reads setting him up inside for breaking stuff off the (outer edge of the) plate. The intent was clear, and Gregg's baiting of Papi solidified it.

My allusion to Aroid was one of the same: baiting intent.
    If I'm a homer for enjoying how Tek treated Aroid to a leather lunch, then you are just as guilty for trying to justify Gregg's actions simply because it was against Boston.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Posted by harness

I never said Gregg couldn't hit him if he wanted to.

yeah you did, you said '' Then Gregg needled him when he couldn't nail him''

same thing

if any one thinks he was trying to hit ortiz

then say are saying' he couldn't if he wanted to '

. My allusion to Aroid was one of the same: baiting intent.

I don't get it, bronson actually hit arod

If I'm a homer for enjoying how Tek treated Aroid to a leather lunch,

then you are just as guilty for trying to justify Gregg's actions simply because it was against Boston.

trust me the homer comment didn't just  come to me today

hey, were are all homers here

you are just more of one than most

and I'm thinking kim will be very happy with that ;-)

Then Gregg needled him when he couldn't nail him.
    Papi as a human being may be more respected than any player in the game.
    He challenged Gregg but never threw a punch until Gregg did. Then Papi missed with an uppercut that would have deposited Gregg's head into the bleachers.

Now, if you want to draw an analogy, let's discuss that juicing, low-life AROID and how he egged Arroyo on - until Tek put him in his place.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE] Posted by harness I never said Gregg couldn't hit him if he wanted to. yeah you did, you said '' Then Gregg needled him when he couldn't nail him'' same thing if any one thinks he was trying to hit ortiz then say are saying' he couldn't if he wanted to ' . My allusion to Aroid was one of the same: baiting intent. I don't get it, bronson actually hit arod  If I'm a homer for enjoying how Tek treated Aroid to a leather lunch,  then you are just as guilty for trying to justify Gregg's actions simply because it was against Boston. trust me the homer comment didn't just  come to me today hey, were are all homers here you are just more of one than most and I'm thinking kim will be very happy with that ;-) Then Gregg needled him when he couldn't nail him. Papi as a human being may be more respected than any player in the game. He challenged Gregg but never threw a punch until Gregg did. Then Papi missed with an uppercut that would have deposited Gregg's head into the bleachers. Now, if you want to draw an analogy, let's discuss that juicing, low-life AROID and how he egged Arroyo on - until Tek put him in his place.

No Zac. It's not the same thing at all. When I said he couldn't nail Papi, I meant on the one purpose pitch. I don't buy into his trying to get him on every pitch, and I made that quite clear. He set up the purpose pitch. That's what validates the intent.

I can see how it reads that way, but that wasn't my intent:)

24. This post has been removed.