Ortiz for Garza

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: Ortiz for Garza

1) Why would Theo accept that deal?
    2) Why would Papi accept that deal (10-5 no trade rights)?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

And he is going to be a full time first baseman!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Worst. Trade. Idea. Ever.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

dont think it is a worst trade, it would be the best trade for Boston cuz Boston would have got rid of Papi and his salary for a better pitcher.  Then Boston can use Larvanway as a DH platooning with Salty/Youk/Gonz!!

But it is going to be the worst trade every by the Cubs!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

we all know it is not going to happen!! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

This makes absolutely no sense from a Cubs persepctive.

Love it or hate it, Ortiz and his overpaid salary, aging body, and crummy attitude will be back, and I'm sure squawking about a new deal by July. Again.

I still support the franchise, I can no longer support this team, and especially not the ownership group.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

Isn't Papi still a FA at the moment? Can you trade a FA?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: Ortiz for Garza:
    Isn't Papi still a FA at the moment? Can you trade a FA?
    Posted by LadyLake

No. The Sox offered, and he accepted arbitration which means he IS Sox property for the 2012 season. Either the Sox and Ortiz will agree on a figure, or an arbitrator will assign one.

I'm not sure what the rules are pertaining to trading someone who has accepted arbitration, but does not yet have a contract. At any rate, they're not trading him before the season, and likely not during either unless they have a season unthinkably worse than last years. If THAT happens, well, trading Ortiz will likely be the least of their problems.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Yea and let's have the Cubs send along 14 mil for the Sox being so nice to give up the gold glover Ortiz.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

Trust me, on this board this trade is at least fesable if only Ortiz could play first, but he can't. So Theo would send his top pitcher for a pinch hitter. Most likely not going to happen.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

In Response to Ortiz for Garza:
    Pull the trigger and trade Ortiz for Garza or another pitcher of similar quality. Dump two or three prospects or Youk and Scut and a prospect for another quality pitcher. Stop the BS and do something.
    Posted by teddybaseball009

I get that you're impatient and all for SOMETHING to happen, but you have to know that this is ludicrous idea.  Why in the h-e-l-l would the Cubs want Ortiz?  Where would they put him?  Even Theo wouldn't be so shortsighted to stick him at 1B for an entire season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Get Ortiz signed to a $13 M one year deal, pay  1/2 his salary and send him to the Mariners---he can hit the ball out of any ballpark---SAFE CO included. He would be a good draw and have the M's send us  Charlie Furbush. Use the $6 M plus Scutaro's salary for the first year of Edwin Jackson's salary.

Everybody is happy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from eddiewilson. Show eddiewilson's posts

In Response to Re: Ortiz for Garza : Yes he will play first base for the cubs. Theo the great will see to it. Do any of you remember the world series or even interleague play? Ortiz played first base pretty well. No great first baseman is he but he is decent. Cubs need his bat and Theo loves the guy.
    Posted by teddybaseball009

playing 1st base for 3 or 4 games is one thing.  to play 1st base over an entire season, is something else.  do you honestly think papi's body would make it over a full season playing 1st base?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Get Ortiz signed to a $13 M one year deal, pay  1/2 his salary and send him to the Mariners---he can hit the ball out of any ballpark---SAFE CO included. He would be a good draw and have the M's send us  Charlie Furbush. Use the $6 M plus Scutaro's salary for the first year of Edwin Jackson's salary. Everybody is happy.
    Posted by MadMc44

I doubt a rebuilding Seattle club would want one year of 36-year-old designated hitter when the Mariners already have young hitters Jesus Montero, Justin Smoak and Mike Carp vying for the DH slot.

However, lefthander Charlie Furbush could be available.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

not to comment on this trade possibility, but i have always wondered why ortiz would make such a poor first baseman as so many people claim.

he is a major league player who has shown that he is at least OK at first base when necessary.  i am sure that there have been worse fielding first basemen in the past.   if you can hit 30 HRs and drive in 100 i am not so sure that a team couldn't overlook his defense.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrJohnnyMost. Show MrJohnnyMost's posts

Papi would love Wrigley. He'd be better than Leon Durham who predated Buckner as a croquet wicket.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Do you ppl, who think Ortiz can play 1B, think he would dive for a groundball?  Did you ever play 1B for real?  1B is not a position where power hitters play because they don't have defensive skills.  They have to have quick decisions on groundballs in plays, they have to have skills to scoop up the bounced balls other IFs threw, they have to dive for hard hit groundballs, and more.  If Ortiz would even considered he could play at 1B once in a while, he would have played all interleague games last season and Agon would have played elsewhere. 
    Seriously guys.. do you really think Ortiz would dive for a groundball or stretch his legs out for short throw??? comon..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

I keep thinking about the 10-5.  Can't see him wanting to go to a rebuilding team at this age.  1 more shot with the RS make a sh.....load of money and ride off into the sunset.  Personally I think the RS should not have offered arb. and we wouldn't be having this conversation.  With Theo gone, BC should have washed his hands of as much as he could of and gotten this team younger in the process.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Amazing! Complaining about paying a guy, who arguabley had his best season in a Sox uniform, what he is worth?
    Do you recall that up through 2011, Drew was the highest paid postion player at $14M 9for 5 years no less), and you are worried about paying Papi $16M for 1 year?
    I guess we could have gotten Adam Dunn last year, which a lot of people on here were lobbying for. Gee, that would have great huh?

Sections
Shortcuts