Ortiz: Front Office/Media don't respect me! Your reaction?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Re: Ortiz: Front office/Media don't respect me! Your reaction?

Again the media being the media.  Papi did a great thing to help the team and now he gets questioned for the timing of it.  W.T.F.  I don't wonder why the player have a sour attitude at times.  The media is absolutely pathetic.  Don't get me wrong I am sure there are some very good media people but there is way to much of it and way to many dirt bag story twisters out there.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Re: Ortiz: Front Office/Media don't respect me! Your reaction?

I think the real anger are from the clubhouse leaks to the media. Tito spoiled them ... but I don't blame players for being passed when they have to answer bs questions fromsh stirrers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

This is a non-story about a non-story.

Maybe tomorrow WEEI can push for reaction to reaction to reaction to a fake controversey.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

In Response to Re: Ortiz: Front office/Media don't respect me! Your reaction?:
    [QUOTE]Again the media being the media.  Papi did a great thing to help the team and now he gets questioned for the timing of it.  W.T.F.  I don't wonder why the player have a sour attitude at times.  The media is absolutely pathetic.  Don't get me wrong I am sure there are some very good media people but there is way to much of it and way to many dirt bag story twisters out there.  
    Posted by Mchampion[/QUOTE]

What's pathetic is the spoiled rotten major leaguer, which Papi has now decided to become. The media didn't force him to say, "I don't care." and "I get no respect". What a load of crap. $14.5 million is no respect? Wish I got that little respect. I was starting to like Papi again, but that kills it for me. He can go join Beckett, Shill (or Shrill), Paplebum, Manny, and JD in the Hall of Shame. Get a grip, man. Do you think that everybody has employers who appreciate everything they do??? Sorry your life is such a difficult slug, Papi.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tombirner. Show tombirner's posts

In Response to Re: Ortiz: Front office/Media don't respect me! Your reaction?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ortiz: Front office/Media don't respect me! Your reaction? : What's pathetic is the spoiled rotten major leaguer, which Papi has now decided to become. The media didn't force him to say, "I don't care." and "I get no respect". What a load of crap. $14.5 million is no respect? Wish I got that little respect. I was starting to like Papi again, but that kills it for me. He can go join Beckett, Shill (or Shrill), Paplebum, Manny, and JD in the Hall of Shame. Get a grip, man. Do you think that everybody has employers who appreciate everything they do??? Sorry your life is such a difficult slug, Papi.
    Posted by pschuller[/QUOTE]

Agreed, Papi used to be my favorite player, but the last few years, he's really been kind of a melodramatic little brat. He's always sounding off on being disrespected, but the whole region worships him, and 14.5 million for a mid-thirties DH is very respectful. He didn't have to accept it, but apparently no other teams were willing to show that much... "respect."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Papi is right. He's the one putting up with the stupid, "Why didn't he do it earlier?" comments. He makes his millions because he's worth it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I told yu all the "disrespect card" would be played eventually..... this dude was never a leader... where was this "fire" a year ago. Ortiz sucks.

"I am a beast, I am strong as hell"

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

In Response to Ortiz: Front Office/Media don't respect me! Your reaction?:
    [QUOTE]WEEI: David Ortiz spoke to ESPNBoston.com after Monday's 8-6 win over the Orioles, a victory that included a mammoth sixth-inning homer from the designated hitter, his 10th of the season. But Ortiz quickly became agitated when asked about a players-only meeting he called on May 11. "I'm the kind of [expletive] who worries about winning games," Ortiz said. "I'm a winner. I hate losing. But what I do, I don't do for everybody to know. I do it for us to get better and the trash talking out there to stop." Ortiz wasn't pleased with those suggesting that perhaps a Sox player should have called a meeting before May 11. "Somebody wrote, 'Why didn't he do it earlier?' Earlier? When am I going to do it, in spring training," Ortiz asked. "What did I do wrong? Seriously, what did I do wrong? … You hit 54 home runs, then hit 35, it's not good enough. How many people hit 35? Never good enough, bro. That's why I don't care." Ortiz, making $14.5 million this season, also took exception with the media and his own front office. "I don't get no respect," Ortiz said. "Not from the media. Not from the front office. What I do is never the right thing. It's always hiding, for somebody to find out."
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]
      Ortiz lost my "respect" (for leadership) when he burst into Francona's press conference loudly and profanely complaining about an rbi that an official scorer "cost" him when a ruling on a hit was changed. Some team guy.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Well Ortiz has my respect, he is still one of the best hitters in the game.  All good things must come to an end, but the way he is hitting this year and his commitment to get into better shape has me believing he just may have few more years left in him that people would have thought a couple years ago.

Look what he did at 1B this past weekend, and that is not the first time Papi has played a good 1B.   He may not be a Gold Glover but he always impresses me at the corner....In a different life time David Ortiz just might of been a decent 1Bman

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

These guys can't do anything right in anyone's eyes, can they?  When they loose the media rips them apart.  When they win, the media finds some stupid bit of nothing and makes it front page news in order to rip them apart.  No wonder the players don't like talking to the press - you have to walk on egg-shells with every word you utter. 

Why didn't Papi call a meeting sooner?  Why didn't Pedey call a meeting sooner?  Why didn't Beckett call a meeting sooner?  Why didn't anyone else call a meeting sooner?   Sometimes, in order to be effective as a leader, you have to sit back and observe people so you know the best way to reach them.  Had he done it earlier, the media would rip him apart for "going behind Bobby V's back".   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

"I don't get no respect," Ortiz said. "Not from the media. Not from the front office. What I do is never the right thing. It's always hiding, for somebody to find out."

Papi should stick to playing ball and stop with the whining. He is too good a player to be crying about lack of respect.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

No reaction, but here is my post, weeks before the beat drive-byes ran with it:

Most Red Sox fans Gave up on Ortiz and wanted to "spend the money elsewhere", One Poster claimed he could no longer hit LP

posted at 4/25/2012 2:31 PM EDT
    First: 12/27/2011
    Last: 5/21/2012

The antithesis of non-producing good ole boys like Wastefield and Varitek, Ortiz has embarrassed posters who claimed he could no longer hit LP well enough to warrant a roster spot, or since on the roster, needed to sit v most LP and bat lower in the order.

This winter, most Red Sox fans wanted to "spend the money elsewhere", and called Ortiz washed up back in 2009 and 2010. Despite finishing up with elite league DH production years for 2009, 2010 and 2011, the pride, prejudice and bigotry has always been forefront among the substantial majority of Red Sox fans and the media. 

The fact is that Ortiz takes a popularity back seat to good ole boys like Varitek and Wastefield, and the soon to be departing for a FA contract and usually on the shelf, Ellsbury.

Ortiz is owed an apology from most Red Sox fans. He remains the face of the franchise. Along with another despised former Red Sox pitcher, Curt Schilling, these two core players did more for the Red Sox brand than any other player in the last two decades. On a team whose fan base is made up of hypocritcal leftist elite and Big Labor & Bureaucrat fans who live segrated intimate lives while pandering rhetoric and something from others for nothing for ethnic minority votes, it comes as no surprise to see Ortiz receive the bigoted reception in Boston. 

That Ortiz's request for a 2 year contract at around 25 million was turned down is consistent with the way middle management has treated him. He has made the brand more money than the franchise will ever pay to him! 

Fortunately, John Henry has remained loyal to Ortiz, as, otherwise, prior and current middle management most certainly would have "spent all or some of the money elsewhere". 

Ortiz has stated that he will retire after playing 2 more years. Needless to say, he won't be hanging around off of good will, like a parasite, long after he is no longer productive enough to warrant an active roster spot. The Red Sox need to show some class and offer Ortiz a one year extension with a year 2 team option and substantial buyout and player opt out provisions that insure that Ortiz is treated well and allowed to retire with the Red Sox at the end of 2014, or play one final season off a one year FA contract for any AL team he chooses.

David Ortiz, this poster never waivered in his support for you and the importance you bring to the Red Sox, and this poster salutes you for surviving the lack of appreciation and the uncalled for abuse during the slow starts of 2009 and 2010.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

In Response to Re: Ortiz: Front Office/Media don't respect me! Your reaction?:
    [QUOTE]Well Ortiz has my respect, he is still one of the best hitters in the game.  All good things must come to an end, but the way he is hitting this year and his commitment to get into better shape has me believing he just may have few more years left in him that people would have thought a couple years ago. Look what he did at 1B this past weekend, and that is not the first time Papi has played a good 1B.   He may not be a Gold Glover but he always impresses me at the corner....In a different life time David Ortiz just might of been a decent 1Bman
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

Seriously, that's it? Your only criterion for respecting a ball player is how well he is hitting? For me, especially since it has been fairly well documented lately that teams win championships, not superstars, I would like to see a little leadership. Papi is sounding too much like Kobe--it's all about me! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

15 mil for a dh is a lot of respect...please shut up papi and dont ruin your remewed happy warrior image

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In Response to Re: Ortiz: Front Office/Media don't respect me! Your reaction?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ortiz: Front Office/Media don't respect me! Your reaction? : Seriously, that's it? Your only criterion for respecting a ball player is how well he is hitting? For me, especially since it has been fairly well documented lately that  teams win championships, not superstars, I would like to see a little leadership. Papi is sounding too much like Kobe--it's all about me! 
    Posted by pschuller[/QUOTE]

By all means that is not my only criteria, it was a more skimming the surface.  There are a magnitude of reasons that revolve around my decision to respect a player.  I just didn't feel like going into a full in depth analysis and write 10 pages on it.....just making a point.  I don't think Papi is all about himself, when a player says something to the media people act as if they are taking it personally towards them.

When it comes down to it.....he's right, they have thrown him under the bus a few times the past couple years.  Papi is one of those guys who speaks his mind, but he also seems to get along with all the players and genuinely seems like a great team mate....I like that about him amongst other qualities. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Ortiz does say some stupid things at times. But he is a Sox icon , who is doing his best to carry this offense. Need to cut him  some slack on this.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Papi has given us all SO MANY GREAT MEMORIES!

The way I see it, the way he is playing this year, & all he has done for the Sox over these many years, Papi can say whatever he wants!!!!!  If that helps him keep that high level, rejuvenated edge????  Keep spouting Papi!  NO PROBLEMO!!!!  Just stay HOT!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Papi can afford to do this stuff, as he has this duality to his personality!

Now if Beckett even tried something like this, I would cast him to the dogs!  Becketts a world class a ho le, but he's our a hole!  If he continues to pitch like he has the past 2 games, & this TEAM continues to come together, I'd ever take it from Beckett.  BUT......  If you're gonna be an a hole, you better back it up with the highest level of play possible!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Papi-Shut it.

You were a roid boy for years and you were over weight. Do you remember how you cheated?

Being out of shape affected how you played, many including myself thought you were done.

You finally get yourself in shape and that's a good thing.  You are playing better and that's a good thing.  The bad thing is you've become a jerk.

Return to the guy everyone loved in 2004, the guy who smiled alot and who loved the fans.

I really have no patience with any player who says he gets no respect.  When and why did that phrase become so much a part of baseball?  They all sound like Rodney DangerfiedMoney mouth

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Labeling Ortiz a Roid boy is a bit unfair

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I dont understand all the antogonism towards papi on this.....everyone who follows the Sox know and have complained about in the Past, a large segment of the Media. Does anyone think it is easy for a Player to read or hear about some of the nonsense and negativity wrote about him.....Papi has a right to sound off about it once in a while. I would ask everyone to notice that he didnt mention the fans. He may have been remiss to have lumped in the FO with the media, but I will give him a pass on once sentance in a rambling interview.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts