1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Ortiz just never stops complaining...ever

Ortiz doesn't stop complaining, then people come in here and complain about him complaining, then others come in and complain about them complaining about Ortiz complaining.  Then the Ortiz complainers complain against the people complaining against them complaining against Ortiz complaining.   I'm complaining right now....everybody complains about something. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Ortiz doesn't stop complaining, then people come in here and complain about him complaining, then others come in and complain about them complaining about Ortiz complaining.  Then the Ortiz complainers complain against the people complaining against them complaining against Ortiz complaining.   I'm complaining right now....everybody complains about something. 

Oh quit your whining.

Innocent

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Ever hear the expression, " No whining on the yacht " ?  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to crowtrobot's comment:

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In response to steven11's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Like Ralph Kramden, David has a BIGGGG mouth.   We should be used to it by now. What is far more important is the fact that no one is more responsible for ending an 86 year drought and putting this team where it stands now, on top of the baseball world, than David Ortiz. Listening to his occasional outbursts is a small price to pay for all that he has done for this franchise and it's fans. 

Ted Williams, by all accounts, had a  rant or 10 back in the day.  But back then, the press protected the players and the news cycle was, of course, much less steroidal.  But, I am sure he would be getting killed on this board if he were in his playing days today.

The press did not protect ted as much as you think.  His rants were not about getting paid or an RBI.  Plus the guy interrupted his career twice to defend his country.  This is why Ted is a god.

I get it.  And I agree.  He is a baseball god and a heroic figure.  And, yes the press had their beefs with him.  Thats how I even know about his gripes.  But, my educated guess is that there hasn't been one Red Sox player of any standing who has uttered an unpleasantry that hasnt been completely blown up on this board.  I guarantee there would be a loud contingent that would be just killing him for his transgressions, despite his play and his standing as a citizen.

I agree with everything said here...pretty much. I DEFINITELY agree that just about every player has said something at some point fans don't like...just for me, with Ortiz. It's EVERY year. Multiple times.

I'll never forget Pedro saying he was somehow disrespected that all the Sox owners went to meet with him, but the Mets sent only their spanish-speaking GM, so it was more personal. It was laughable. But he didn't say it every year. If Ortiz wants days off like Pedro, I'd never have an issue. 

No other player has had so many excuses for him. Curt said "remember to vote...and vote bush!" and people RIPPED him. He had a business fail that personally nearly destroyed him...and people RIPPED him even though it had NOTHING to do with baseball. He wasn't likeable.

Revisionist history has turned "manny being Manny" into Boston accepting him being a j e r k and bully. It's never was. Manny being Manny was having a bottle of water in his back pocket while playing the field...or going into the green monster when there was no stoppage and fans yelling to him...or cutting off a throw from Damon....or high 5ing a fan after a great catch....all the goofiness...THAT was Manny being Manny. He was a GOD for time...then he turned. And the city, rightly, turned on him. 

Ortiz hasn't done nearly what Manny did...not close. Is this "Ortiz being Ortiz"? Maybe. That's what a lot of people say I guess. But it's not him being childish and silly and aloof, as it was with Manny. It's him being, at times, selfish, and egotistical, and entitled, and whiny. Nothing HORRIBLE by itself...but over time. I've grown totally exhausted of it. My patience and acceptance are gone. I said it before...it honestly makes me kind of sad. I want to look at him and see ONLY the player on the field, but he's gone out of his way to make me all too aware of other things. Many, MANY other things.

Gee, sounds like the putz that I'm replying to. Btw, have you tried any anti-depression medicine? You might want to.

"Gimp on a leash" LOLOLOL Priceless. 

That is pretty funny, creepy wierdo. Don't you wish that with all your education you could come up with something that good, instead of the constant flow of nothingness that you leave on this board.

Gee, sounds like the putz that I'm replying to!

Every one of your posts here has been to insult. That, truly, is a constant flow of nothingness. Even the void of space contains dust...it's a galactic constant...you, somehow, manage to be devoid of even that.

Back to the actual conversation...

This, by itself...not a huge deal. No. 

But...he's saying he shouldn't be expected to be it ('the man')...it's a lot of pressure to be "the guy"...and yet, a few months ago was talking about "guys that do what I do get a lot more"...so, he wants the money, but he doesn't really want the pressure or responsibility?

He pats himself on the back when it's convenient, and says he shouldn't be expected to when it's convenient. Also, I have a real problem with him openly second-guessing management. That's not ok. I never liked Valentine, but what Pedey did was wrong, and I expressed that. Pedey, consequently, came back and apologized for his behavior.

One more time:

Shows up on "the list". Troubling. Bangs his hand on the dais and proclaims he has NO IDEA what he could have tested for, he will find out, and let us all know! What was that? 8 years ago?

Contract talks...many, many contract talks

The rbi/francona interview thing

Post 2011 - total lack of accountability, and even said, I'll go to the NYY if it's going to be like this." Talking about all the drama.

Openly questioned Francona's rotation, and not including Aceves to the press.

Had a HORRIBLE 2 months in 09 I think...Francona never dropped him in the lineup or anything. Had a HORRIBLE ST, and first 3 games the next year...and EXPLODED when someone DARED to ask him about his slow start and if he was worried.

Coming off the achilles that went from day-to-day, to 1/2 a season as he couldn't get healthy...and all but demands an extension. And gets it. Then does the SAME THING this off season.

And then this...no, it's not awful. But, honestly, how do JBJ, AJ, and Boegarts feel? I'm sure many will say "they're professionals...they'll be fine". Well, Ortiz is also a Professional, the oldest and longest-tenured member of the Sox...certainly the most accomplished, has made more money than anyone else on the team..I expect him to act a little more professionally. Or, at the least, he doesn't have to say any of this. He could just play. Many of this, if not ALL of it, he did to himself. Especially how strongly he derided 'the list'...then went totally silent on the topic. That, to me, is extremely damning. Is it possible there are others factors at play? The union telling him to hush? Yeah, possibly. It's more realistic he said all the right things...then went silent until it all blew over...and it did, for the most part...then there's people like me with inconvenient memories.

Anyone put up on such a high pedestal is open to criticism. He ENJOYS being up there, he doesn't hide from the fame and benefits of it, all I'm doing is holding him to what HE says. Nothing more.

I know I'm forgetting some...but these are the main things over the past 5 years. I just...I can't believe he has caused so much distraction.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

It's just the way the big man talks.  Even back in the 2004 ALCS, after Game 5, he said something like 'We need somebody else to step up.  I can't keep doing this.'  He didn't mean any harm by it, for God's sake.

"I need some help"

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Like Ralph Kramden, David has a BIGGGG mouth.   We should be used to it by now. What is far more important is the fact that no one is more responsible for ending an 86 year drought and putting this team where it stands now, on top of the baseball world, than David Ortiz. Listening to his occasional outbursts is a small price to pay for all that he has done for this franchise and it's fans. 

Ted Williams, by all accounts, had a  rant or 10 back in the day.  But back then, the press protected the players and the news cyclewas, of course, much less steroidal.  But, I am sure he would be getting killed on this board if he were in his playing days today.

The press did not protect ted as much as you think.  His rants were not about getting paid or an RBI.  Plus the guy interrupted his career twice to defend his country.  This is why Ted is a god.

I get it.  And I agree.  He is a baseball god and a heroic figure.  And, yes the press had their beefs with him.  Thats how I even know about his gripes.  But, my educated guess is that there hasn't been one Red Sox player of any standing who has uttered an unpleasantry that hasnt been completely blown up on this board.  I guarantee there would be a loud contingent that would be just killing him for his transgressions, despite his play and his standing as a citizen.

I agree with everything said here...pretty much. I DEFINITELY agree that just about every player has said something at some point fans don't like...just for me, with Ortiz. It's EVERY year. Multiple times.

I'll never forget Pedro saying he was somehow disrespected that all the Sox owners went to meet with him, but the Mets sent only their spanish-speaking GM, so it was more personal. It was laughable. But he didn't say it every year. If Ortiz wants days off like Pedro, I'd never have an issue. 

No other player has had so many excuses for him. Curt said "remember to vote...and vote bush!" and people RIPPED him. He had a business fail that personally nearly destroyed him...and people RIPPED him even though it had NOTHING to do with baseball. He wasn't likeable.

Revisionist history has turned "manny being Manny" into Boston accepting him being a j e r k and bully. It's never was. Manny being Manny was having a bottle of water in his back pocket while playing the field...or going into the green monster when there was no stoppage and fans yelling to him...or cutting off a throw from Damon....or high 5ing a fan after a great catch....all the goofiness...THAT was Manny being Manny. He was a GOD for time...then he turned. And the city, rightly, turned on him. 

Ortiz hasn't done nearly what Manny did...not close. Is this "Ortiz being Ortiz"? Maybe. That's what a lot of people say I guess. But it's not him being childish and silly and aloof, as it was with Manny. It's him being, at times, selfish, and egotistical, and entitled, and whiny. Nothing HORRIBLE by itself...but over time. I've grown totally exhausted of it. My patience and acceptance are gone. I said it before...it honestly makes me kind of sad. I want to look at him and see ONLY the player on the field, but he's gone out of his way to make me all too aware of other things. Many, MANY other things.

Gee, sounds like the putz that I'm replying to. Btw, have you tried any anti-depression medicine? You might want to.

Do you evaaa get along with anybody on this board ?????  What exactly is your function here ?????

I get along with most of the posters, SFB. There's just a couple who demonstrate stupidity at such a high level, well, I just feel obligated to point them out. So I guess that is my function. You my brain-dead slug, provide a never ending wealth of senseless material.

Can't put my finger on it, buuuutttt, there is still something lacking in your delivery !!

Oh my god! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

This is almost exactly what you and 4Bs accused me of a few weeks back...and here you are proudly proclaiming to do it yourself!

Bill...it's the substance that's lacking.

"a never ending wealth of senseless material"

A WEALTH of SENSELESS MATERIAL. 

Is that like military intelligence?

Or more like deafening silence?

Ok, smaller words....errrr.....Jumbo Shrimp?

Oh man...you are funny. Not in the laugh with...totally in the LAUGH AT way.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2014/03/13/david-ortiz-guys-my-age-are-supposed-to-be-complementary-players/

The hypocrisy is astounding.

Added Ortiz: “I’ll give it a try, but I don’t think there’s a baseball player that has lived through this pressure at my age. Think about it. Guys my age are supposed to be complementary players. Nobody signs guys my age to be ‘The Man.

I then heard Merloni on the radio saying, "This is a private conversation that he (Ortiz) went public with. Last year he was talking about 'Why can't we get guys like Hamilton?'...I don't even know what to say."

Merloni has always been a huge Ortiz defender, and even he couldn't say anything.

Ortiz just shouldn't say anything. Just go play. EVERYONE loves you on the field.

So, what did he say that isn't true?

There aren't any other teams that expect a 38 yr old hitter to be the best hitter in the lineup.

Ummm...  The Yankees.

Oh, that's right... they're all over 38.  Tongue Out

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to pittstop8's comment:

Luv cying Saux nationn bashin dem selves. Bring it onn lol. Yank fanns neva do thhat.

Not on a Red Sox board, they don't. Too busy defending them

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to pittstop8's comment:

Luv cying Saux nationn bashin dem selves. Bring it onn lol. Yank fanns neva do thhat.

Pikes are busting out all over again.  Good times! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Ted Williams, by all accounts, had a  rant or 10 back in the day.  But back then, the press protected the players and the news cyclewas, of course, much less steroidal.  But, I am sure he would be getting killed on this board if he were in his playing days today.

Do you evaaa get along with anybody on this board ?????  What exactly is your function here ?????

I get along with most of the posters, SFB. There's just a couple who demonstrate stupidity at such a high level, well, I just feel obligated to point them out. So I guess that is my function. You my brain-dead slug, provide a never ending wealth of senseless material.

Can't put my finger on it, buuuutttt, there is still something lacking in your delivery !!

Oh my god! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

This is almost exactly what you and 4Bs accused me of a few weeks back...and here you are proudly proclaiming to do it yourself!

Bill...it's the substance that's lacking.

"a never ending wealth of senseless material"

A WEALTH of SENSELESS MATERIAL. 

Is that like military intelligence?

Or more like deafening silence?

Ok, smaller words....errrr.....Jumbo Shrimp?

Oh man...you are funny. Not in the laugh with...totally in the LAUGH AT way.

Here's the current trifecta from hell: Pike, Bill-SFB, and Dragonbreath. Anybody on this board want to spend an extended period of time with any one of them? Pike's a creep, Bill's a simpleton, and Dragonbreath is deranged. However, I do believe they would all be successful as GREETERS at WALMART'S.

Thats one step above your calling in life then, isn't it. I believe you are best suited for a career in manual labor. Have you ever considered becoming a shepherd?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I think it funny that you call other people deranged...yet continue to create names just to come back here after being banned multiple times.

Maybe...I don't know...google 'deranged' some time.

After that...try "projection" as it relates to psychology.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Can complain all he wants! I won't complain as long as he keeps coming up big in the biggest spots for us. For any RS fan to complain about anything Ortiz does seems hypocritical, because you sure loved him to death when he hit ball into bullpen vs Tigers or basically was RS offense vs Cards in WS?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

So more complaining from Ortiz?  He just keeps getting fans angrier and angrier with his behavior.  Everyone just wants this guy to shut up and play.

Yes, Ortiz talks to the press.  He talks about his contract situation.  He talks about roster construction.  He talks about the pressure he is under.  He talks about wanting to win in Boston.  He talks about his age, and how it can negatively impact his game.

In short, he talks about baseball.

There are a lot of things Ortiz does not do.   He doesn’t get arrested.  He doesn’t hit people.  He doesn’t drive drunk.  He doesn’t stay out all hours drinking heavily.   He isn’t working on a record deal or an acting career on the side.  Basically, all he does is play baseball.  And when he talks, all he talks about is baseball.

Why do people find that so offensive?

He is the oldest cleanup hitter in baseball.  And he will be the oldest DH in the majors on days Raul Ibanez sits because a lefty is on the mound.   He has carved out a path to Cooperstown before all our eyes, and earned 3 World Series rings in the process.  Three rings most of us thought we would never see anyone earn. 

But, hey, Raul Ibanez is quieter.  Maybe some people would want Ibanez at the plate against Joaquin Benoit with the bases loaded and the entire season on the line.   Frankly, that swing alone should give him plenty of complaining credit in my book.

With Ortiz, destructive hitting is part of the package.  And so is talking to the press.  And once you realize it is never really anything bad, maybe some people can learn to accept the entire Ortiz package for what he is, rather than being angry with him for not being what they think he should be…

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

there you go.  There were no forums or cable back in Ted's day.  Most of his games were not televised. Human nature is pretty easy to figure out.  We want our athletes to be just like us.  Once an athlete gets in front of the cameras and starts complaining, then he just took off his super cape and became part of our family thanksgiving dinner.

Most fans equate player pay raises to higher ticket prices.  Keeping the contract chatter is always best kept quiet.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to FajitaT's comment:

Not that anyone cares but I said numerous times in the two seasons following Mannys trade that Ortiz HAD LOST CONFIDENCE becasue he had to be the man now, no more Manny. I got laughed and, called names.

Then I said this spring the same thing I have said each of the past 2 springs, that Ortiz can not be the number one masher, he needs support, Of course we own the WS so whatever.

I feel great seeing my opinions of him as the Designated Man are correct based on his own comments. He struggles with confidence, though we don't see it often.... he is not flawless.

Those long struggles after the Manny trade were all about lost confidence.... and even now he has anxiety about being "The Man"

Fajita, I am getting older and have done way too many drugs, so i have trouble remembering back to 2009.  But, I would have and probably did agree with you back then.  He did struggle once Manny left.  That is a fact no matter who laughed at you.  You could see it in the numbers, the way he carried himself, his flailing pull swings.  

But, it was not a static place for Papi.  Once Adrian Gonzalez came on board and helped get Papi re-oriented in terms of using all fields, taking what pitchers give him, Papi underwent a rennaisance.  He became a much better hitter than he ever was and his confidence returned.

Now, he would never be the 50 HR masher of old, and perhaps the Sox still need that (though 2013 sort of throws a wrinkle in that long-accepted notion).  But, Papi is a better hitter than he ever was.  Eqasy to see if we take a step back from the gaudy HR lust.

Does he sometimes lack confidence?  Yeah, maybe.  That makes his legend even richer to me.  Like, he is not supposed to be doing what he is doing, but he is defying the age odds and the notion that he needs Manny-like protection through shear hitting acumen.  And, to think, he is fallably human in his fears and self-doubt.  Yet, when the lights shine the brightest, he finds a way to quiet those chattering monkeys and turn them into transcendent confidence, striking those same deep fears into his opponents.  

No, Papi is not super-human.  Yes, he is defying the odds.  Yes, he is fallably human emotionally.  thats what makes his transcendence all the richer.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to notin's comment:

So more complaining from Ortiz?  He just keeps getting fans angrier and angrier with his behavior.  Everyone just wants this guy to shut up and play.

Yes, Ortiz talks to the press.  He talks about his contract situation.  He talks about roster construction.  He talks about the pressure he is under.  He talks about wanting to win in Boston.  He talks about his age, and how it can negatively impact his game.

There are a lot of things Ortiz does not do.   He doesn’t get arrested.  He doesn’t hit people.  He doesn’t drive drunk.  He doesn’t stay out all hours drinking heavily.   He isn’t working on a record deal or an acting career on the side.  Basically, all he does is play baseball.  And when he talks, all he talks about is baseball.

He is the oldest cleanup hitter in baseball.  And he will be the oldest DH in the majors on days Raul Ibanez sits because a lefty is on the mound.   He has carved out a path to Cooperstown before all our eyes, and earned 3 World Series rings in the process.  Three rings most of us thought we would never see anyone earn. 

But, hey, Raul Ibanez is quieter.  Maybe some people would want Ibanez at the plate against Joaquin Benoit with the bases loaded and the entire season on the line.   Frankly, that swing alone should give him plenty of complaining credit in my book.

With Ortiz, destructive hitting is part of the package.  And so is talking to the press.  And once you realize it is never really anything bad, maybe some people can learn to accept the entire Ortiz package for what he is, rather than being angry with him for not being what they think he should be…

Great post. A voice of reason.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

In response to notin's comment:

Great post. A voice of reason.

the funny part is, if you give them nothing, they complain that you're boring...

Sections
Shortcuts