1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Ortiz just never stops complaining...ever

[/QUOTE] the funny part is, if you give them nothing, they complain that you're boring...

[/QUOTE]

Somwhere, JD Drew is going "hey, I never so much as uttered a cross word or selfish remark in all my days, can I get some love?"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] the funny part is, if you give them nothing, they complain that you're boring...

[/QUOTE]

Somwhere, JD Drew is going "hey, I never so much as uttered a cross word or selfish remark in all my days, can I get some love?"

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but he's a know malingerer!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

FourBs, here is the correct correlation:

Papi speaks honestly without filter:  WHINY

JD Drew doesn't speak at all:  DOESN'T CARE

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Crash Davis: It's time to work on your interviews.

Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: My interviews? What do I gotta do?

Crash Davis: You're gonna have to learn your clichés. You're gonna have to study them, you're gonna have to know them. They're your friends. Write this down: "We gotta play it one day at a time."

Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: Got to play... it's pretty boring.

Crash Davis: 'Course it's boring, that's the point. Write it down.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Crash Davis: You're gonna have to learn your clichés. You're gonna have to study them, you're gonna have to know them. They're your friends. Write this down: "We gotta play it one day at a time."

[/QUOTE]

I think of this interchange every time one of these Papi hullabaloos pops up.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's perfect!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] and yet he was Cal Ripken Jr compared to Pavano :-)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So more complaining from Ortiz?  He just keeps getting fans angrier and angrier with his behavior.  Everyone just wants this guy to shut up and play.

Yes, Ortiz talks to the press.  He talks about his contract situation.  He talks about roster construction.  He talks about the pressure he is under.  He talks about wanting to win in Boston.  He talks about his age, and how it can negatively impact his game.

In short, he talks about baseball.

There are a lot of things Ortiz does not do.   He doesn’t get arrested.  He doesn’t hit people.  He doesn’t drive drunk.  He doesn’t stay out all hours drinking heavily.   He isn’t working on a record deal or an acting career on the side.  Basically, all he does is play baseball.  And when he talks, all he talks about is baseball.

Why do people find that so offensive?

He is the oldest cleanup hitter in baseball.  And he will be the oldest DH in the majors on days Raul Ibanez sits because a lefty is on the mound.   He has carved out a path to Cooperstown before all our eyes, and earned 3 World Series rings in the process.  Three rings most of us thought we would never see anyone earn. 

But, hey, Raul Ibanez is quieter.  Maybe some people would want Ibanez at the plate against Joaquin Benoit with the bases loaded and the entire season on the line.   Frankly, that swing alone should give him plenty of complaining credit in my book.

With Ortiz, destructive hitting is part of the package.  And so is talking to the press.  And once you realize it is never really anything bad, maybe some people can learn to accept the entire Ortiz package for what he is, rather than being angry with him for not being what they think he should be…

[/QUOTE]

The least attractive "part of the package" is his mouthing off. He has performed well ON the field but at times his mouth gets the better of him, like him complaining about not being surrounded by other very good players. When he does that he throws several of his teamates under the bus. If I am Mike Napoli reading this crap I gotta be asking myself "what am I? Chopped liver?". Ortiz would do well to keep his mouth shut most of the time when he is thinking about his contract and the demanding nature of his job.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The least attractive "part of the package" is his mouthing off. He has performed well ON the field but at times his mouth gets the better of him, like him complaining about not being surrounded by other very good players. When he does that he throws several of his teamates under the bus. If I am Mike Napoli reading this crap I gotta be asking myself "what am I? Chopped liver?". Ortiz would do well to keep his mouth shut most of the time when he is thinking about his contract and the demanding nature of his job.

[/QUOTE]

See, this is why you have to read the whole interview.  Later on Ortiz says 'Thank God for Nap'.  He also says Middlebrooks could turn out to be a big bat.

When you read the whole interview you realize that Ortiz is just kind of rambling, and the main point he's trying to make is that he's a little worried about the team's offence this year. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

See, this is why you have to read the whole interview.  Later on Ortiz says 'Thank God for Nap'.  He also says Middlebrooks could turn out to be a big bat.

When you read the whole interview you realize that Ortiz is just kind of rambling, and the main point he's trying to make is that he's a little worried about the team's offence this year. 

[/QUOTE]

Then whats the point of complaining about his lack of support? Napoli was added in as an afterthought.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Actually, what he was saying is what I and a couple of others have been saying. This has not been a very productive off season. Now, that does not mean that we can't win again. We had a lot of talent to start with. And some outstanding prospects. We can win again. But it is true that we did not have a good off season. Our competition has improved while we have not. Let's see how it plays out. Whatever happens, we should not fault Ortiz for being frank and outspoken. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Like Ralph Kramden, David has a BIGGGG mouth.   We should be used to it by now. What is far more important is the fact that no one is more responsible for ending an 86 year drought and putting this team where it stands now, on top of the baseball world, than David Ortiz. Listening to his occasional outbursts is a small price to pay for all that he has done for this franchise and it's fans. 

[/QUOTE]

Well said!...Pap's concern is valid... Outr pitching looks fine, but run production, mainly from outfielders.... Worrysome to say the least...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

So more complaining from Ortiz?  He just keeps getting fans angrier and angrier with his behavior.  Everyone just wants this guy to shut up and play.

Yes, Ortiz talks to the press.  He talks about his contract situation.  He talks about roster construction.  He talks about the pressure he is under.  He talks about wanting to win in Boston.  He talks about his age, and how it can negatively impact his game.

In short, he talks about baseball.

There are a lot of things Ortiz does not do.   He doesn’t get arrested.  He doesn’t hit people.  He doesn’t drive drunk.  He doesn’t stay out all hours drinking heavily.   He isn’t working on a record deal or an acting career on the side.  Basically, all he does is play baseball.  And when he talks, all he talks about is baseball.

Why do people find that so offensive?

He is the oldest cleanup hitter in baseball.  And he will be the oldest DH in the majors on days Raul Ibanez sits because a lefty is on the mound.   He has carved out a path to Cooperstown before all our eyes, and earned 3 World Series rings in the process.  Three rings most of us thought we would never see anyone earn. 

But, hey, Raul Ibanez is quieter.  Maybe some people would want Ibanez at the plate against Joaquin Benoit with the bases loaded and the entire season on the line.   Frankly, that swing alone should give him plenty of complaining credit in my book.

With Ortiz, destructive hitting is part of the package.  And so is talking to the press.  And once you realize it is never really anything bad, maybe some people can learn to accept the entire Ortiz package for what he is, rather than being angry with him for not being what they think he should be…

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I did not hear ortiz on this subject. I read the transcripts and did not think it was too bad.  i doubt dustin pays any attention to what david or anyone else says.  Napoli seem a bit self centered so there could be a problem here.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to FajitaT's comment: 

Saying we should had Hamilton... how is that working for the Angels. More or less the same thing with Cano whining about not adding the (other) very most expensive free agents to the team...

Just more employees thinking they know better than the bosses. 

Well, you have a point there, Fajita.  I think Papi looks at himself as sort of a part of management now.  That's the ego coming into it, no question.  You see the same thing with Kobe Bryant complaining about what the Lakers are doing these days.

The Sox FO handles this stuff very well IMO.  They just keep their mouths shut and move along.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I did not hear ortiz on this subject. I read the transcripts and did not think it was too bad.  i doubt dustin pays any attention to what david or anyone else says.  Napoli seem a bit self centered so there could be a problem here.

[/QUOTE]

There's no problem at all with Napoli.  Ortiz said 'Thank God for Nap.'  Then Napoli came out and said he welcomes the assignment of being protection for Ortiz.  No, it's all good there.  And as you say, Pedroia will be Pedroia no matter what anybody says.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

That's kind of been my underlying point for the past few years. How many 'times' has he created controversy?

This is controversy?  Seriously?

I'd bet that half the players aren't even aware of what he said, and I'd bet the other half couldn't care less.

The only only people that this is a controversy to are those people that are looking for a controversy.

In the overall scheme of things, this is nothing.  It isn't 1%, or .1%, this is nothing.

Ont the scale of someothing like whether or not we extend Lester, this is like .001.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There's no problem at all with Napoli.  Ortiz said 'Thank God for Nap.'  Then Napoli came out and said he welcomes the assignment of being protection for Ortiz.  No, it's all good there.  And as you say, Pedroia will be Pedroia no matter what anybody says.

[/QUOTE]

yea, it is a non issue.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i believe in Karma....Ortiz should try to be a bit more humble....he might be one or two years away from being useless Beckett....think about your legacy Papi, not the extra millions you dont need

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i believe in Karma....Ortiz should try to be a bit more humble....he might be one or two years away from being useless Beckett....think about your legacy Papi, not the extra millions you dont need

[/QUOTE]

I wonder if David  will give a year notice and do the retirement tour?  Or just hang it up after he weighs it during an off season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I guess $113,000,000 in his career of playing a game he loves doesn't buy Papi professional happiness or economic security for his family....sad and stupid. I'm sorry Papi you are an icon and I appreciate all you've done for Boston but shut it already.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And what exactly will be Ortiz' legacy?   What do you remember more?  Walk off HR in game 4 of the 2004 ALCS?  Grand slam off Benoit?   World Series MVP?   Or a bunch of press conferences and maybe some Herald articles when there was almost no other baseball news to write about?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't believe in Karma, I believe in chance.  Karma is something people use to try and explain why bad things happen, or feel better about themselves for doing good.

In the end if you act like a D, eventually something is going to happen to you.  You can call it Karma, I'll call it inevitable.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

And what exactly will be Ortiz' legacy?   What do you remember more?  Walk off HR in game 4 of the 2004 ALCS?  Grand slam off Benoit?   World Series MVP?   Or a bunch of press conferences and maybe some Herald articles when there was almost no other baseball news to write about?

well you were already wrong with the way Beckett would be remembered. You and a handful of sad sacks try to "thank Josh" for 2007 every now and then when his name is mentioned but you must be living in a hole if you think that any of those things matter now. He is a joke and hated for his arrogance. I guess you believe that there is nothing Papi can do to hurt his reputation. You are terribly wrong. There are a million things that can make a great player a pariah....just ask Manny, Josh, Pete Rose, Mark McGuire

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" He is a joke and hated for his arrogance."

Got an article link to support that opinion?

Outside of your hate bubble his place in baseball history for rings with the Marlins (in particular0 and then the Sox is well remembered. 

Pariah is way too strong a word..there are few pariahs. Even Pete Rose has a ton of admirers and supporters. 

most of us have flaws and defects and not a perfect track record. if you want to judge someone off the field because he had a domestic violence issue that's one thing. 

But to pretend like someone is a horrible person because they ate some fried chicken is nuts. 

Sure he tarnished his legacy somewhat, but he still has a legacy.

Just like Tim Wakefield has quite a legacy in a Red Sox context. And Francona, your other fave. 

If I didn't know better I'd wonder if you didn't like diminishing the accomplishments of those who have actually accomplished quite a bit.