Ortiz looking for 2 years

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Ortiz looking for 2 years

Good interview with Big Papi from WEEI.com including this paragraph

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/rob-bradford/2012/09/12/how-david-ortiz-wants-help-fix-red-sox

"The thing is when people talk about me signing a multi-year contract, they make it seem like I'm asking for a four- or five-year deal. A guy like me isn't going to be looking for more than two years in the market. I know I'm going to be 37 years old and the only reason I might be asking for whatever I'm asking for is because I'm in good shape to provide something the next couple of years. The reality is my problem is not what I want or what I need, my problem is what I want to be by this time next year -- If I [will] be looking forward to going to the playoffs, or if we're going to be in the situation we are right now, which is disgusting. I like to win. I like the atmosphere around here when we are winning. I like the feeling of preparation going to the playoffs. I haven't lost that taste. The taste of that has not been there. I got used to that."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Ortiz looking for 2 years

GIVE IT TO HIM.

Sox offseason priorties in order beginning in the offseason.

Day 1: Re-sign Ortiz. GIVE HIM THE TWO YEARS AND BE DONE WITH IT.

DAY 2: Everything else.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Roy....really?  I've loved Ortiz, still love him, stood by him despite his 2009/2010 poor starts.

....but...he's aging, very expensive, fairly position-less...perhaps his freakish injury was just bad luck, but......

Ortiz as DH for $12-15m, or resign Ross to DH/OF at an upgrade from his 2012 salary of $3m to 5/6 and spend the other 7-8 million on other positions?

Could Ross learn to play 1B?  Maybe not at GG level, but if he could do it at 1/5 of AGon's salary I'd put up with a few errors....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

They have to give Ortiz the 2 years.If they lose him to free angency,the front office would take a HUGE public relations hit.People would hate them for letting Ortiz go especially with the salary they dumped.

Besides that,he's the best hitter the Red Sox have.He's leading the team in Average,Slugging and OBP.He's just recently been tied for the HR lead by Saltalamacchia.

If anyone deserves to be overpaid,Ortiz has earned that right for a 2 year deal.He may only be good for a couple of months,but it's possible he can be good for another 2 years too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They have to give Ortiz the 2 years.If they lose him to free angency,the front office would take a HUGE public relations hit.People would hate them for letting Ortiz go especially with the salary they dumped.

Besides that,he's the best hitter the Red Sox have.He's leading the team in Average,Slugging and OBP.He's just recently been tied for the HR lead by Saltalamacchia.

If anyone deserves to be overpaid,Ortiz has earned that right for a 2 year deal.He may only be good for a couple of months,but it's possible he can be good for another 2 years too.

[/QUOTE]

AGREED.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

The Red Sox will sign Ortiz for 2 years and will do it soon.  Why try to tick him off.  He has been honest with the Sox and the fans I think.  He came into the 2012 season in good shape. You could tell there was an effort to get into better condition so he could be productive.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

You will not make him happy ever unless he gets two years $35 M. Are you willing to pay him that kind of money?

I would prefer to pay $45 M  to Dempster over three years and pay Ortiz one season $15 M with a mutual option for year 2.

Ortiz lobbying must be pretty frustrating for Sox management.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

2 yrs....but he has to make it affordable...he pushes for high $$$...let him go

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You will not make him happy ever unless he gets two years $35 M. Are you willing to pay him that kind of money?

I would prefer to pay $45 M  to Dempster over three years and pay Ortiz one season $15 M with a mutual option for year 2.

Ortiz lobbying must be pretty frustrating for Sox management.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I have a hard time believeing that Ortiz evencthinks he will get 17.5mm per and 2 years...Where did you get those figures anyway? Im sure something along the lines of 2yrs/24-28mm will get it done...He deserves it IMO...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

2 years, 26 million.  A slight decrease in pay, similar to Jeter's last deal.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Because of the down economy, I got a 2% raise this year. Think Ortiz would settle for that?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Because of the down economy, I got a 2% raise this year. Think Ortiz would settle for that?

[/QUOTE]

I think he'd settle for less than a 2% raise ,as long as he got 2 years on his contract.He made 14.5 million this year and I'm guessing,but I think he'd probably agree to 2 years / 25 million.It sounds like he's more interested in years than in amount of money.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

"Because of down economy they should eliminate the DH."

Now that's a great idea! Make the pitchers earn their salary by having to play offense.

(Reply to post wasn't working)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sign him for 2 years and that Achilles will heal real quick.

[/QUOTE]

Come on, Ortiz is not a guy who likes to sit out.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sign him for 2 years and that Achilles will heal real quick.

[/QUOTE]

Come on, Ortiz is not a guy who likes to sit out.   

[/QUOTE]

No kidding.  That's why I ignore B.S. comments like that. Ortiz has more to lose and nothing to gain. He was on pace for more than 35 home runs and even 40 with one hot streak to go along with 115-plus RBIs and a top three -- maybe top -- OPS.  Missing out on those numbers is costing him money.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

GIVE IT TO HIM.

Sox offseason priorties in order beginning in the offseason.

Day 1: Re-sign Ortiz. GIVE HIM THE TWO YEARS AND BE DONE WITH IT.

DAY 2: Everything else.

[/QUOTE]

About right.  Just not at $15M per.  Maybe $10M-$12M per. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

yeah so he gained 15.  I just liked what I saw when he came to spring training.  He looked to be in the best shape i've seen him in 10 years.  Tells me he wants to play and knows he has to stay in shape.  I'm not worried about him being overweight anymore or out of shape.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

I Also Say Pay Him, 2 Years We Need His Bat, No ?s About It.......

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/rob-bradford/2012/09/12/how-david-ortiz-wants-help-fix-red-sox

"The thing is when people talk about me signing a multi-year contract, they make it seem like I'm asking for a four- or five-year deal. A guy like me isn't going to be looking for more than two years in the market. I know I'm going to be 37 years old and the only reason I might be asking for whatever I'm asking for is because I'm in good shape to provide something the next couple of years. The reality is my problem is not what I want or what I need, my problem is what I want to be by this time next year -- If I [will] be looking forward to going to the playoffs, or if we're going to be in the situation we are right now, which is disgusting. I like to win. I like the atmosphere around here when we are winning. I like the feeling of preparation going to the playoffs. I haven't lost that taste. The taste of that has not been there. I got used to that."

[/QUOTE]

Signing Papi for two year is a no brainer that should be done.  I wouldn't even hesitate to throw in a third year team option.  Outside of that it's a crap shoot who stays, leaves, gets traded for, or signed as a FA.

Unfortunately our team has needs everywhere so signing Papi would be a good start even though he may continue to spend time on the DL during stretches.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

One year+a club option for a second year. Take it or leave it. If he performs he gets his second year; if not, then thanks for the memories.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I seem to remember reading last year where David said that he would have taken 2/25 rather than go to arbitration. I'd give it to him. Even if it turns out to be a wheelchair contract, David has earned his wheelchair contract.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts