Ortiz looking for 2 years

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: Ortiz looking for 2 years

In response to Yonkersman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Management often includes clauses into contracts that protect themselves in the case that a current injury reoccurs. There are many legal minds there that know the union rules in detail.

[/QUOTE]

when are going to unzip yourself from your homemade straight jacket and verbally torture us?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It is done all the time?  Ok then I stand corrected but can you tell me the players who have signed a contract like this?  thanks

[/QUOTE]

OK...Heres 5

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/04/2013-vesting-options-update.html

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

all I can tell you is it isn't done with the red sox and that is who we are talking about.  I doubt Ortiz will go for that type of contract, but if he does then you should become a sports agent.

4 examples on the internet which can easily be challenged, does not qualify it to being done all the time.

[/QUOTE]

How can they be challenged. Its in their contract which happens to be ...well...a CONTRACT.

You asked and I provided...I really dont feel like doing the research going back a few years to prove it, although I could. The point is, it is common practice and has be throughout the years. Vesting options are done all the time.

Now to your point of whether the Sox do it or Papi accepts it is a completely different story. That point is, without a doubt, valid...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

i changed my mind..Heres vesting options from 2012

http://thebaseballhaven.mlblogs.com/2011/09/08/2012-mlb-vesting-options/

And heres the 2011 list of vesting options...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/03/2010-vesting-options.html

2010..And look, our own Josh Beckett is on this list...Looks like the Sox apparently do this...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/06/vesting-options-for-2010.html

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

really tired of listening to ortiz moan and groan about his money and being "disrespected". the guy has made a lot of money here. no one got taken advantage of. given his age and health he is probably worth 6-8 for a year with a team option/buyout. there is no way on earth he settles for this so the smart business decision would be to offer him a little more than what you believe the market will bear and take the chance of letting him take a walk. unfortunately, this decision is going to be about more than simple value on the open marketplace. the red sox have suffered some serious PR blows recently and there will likely be more to come. they are likely unwilling to let the highest profile/most popular player on the team do elsewhere and it is very likely they'll hand him 2 at 25/26 - something in that area. anything less and he is going to be crying in the press about all the "disrespect" that has come his way. personally, I'd be fine with a one offer yat 8, and a second year team option at 8 with 2 million dollar buyout. despite his ijnury issues this past season Ortiz has defied the odds over the past three seasons or so and has outperformed most prognostications, but no matter what he thinks he is not the player he once was. One could argue that the red sox should have given him a three year deal three years ago (and it seems as if he's never forgiven them), but they didn't. and now he's kind of holding them hostage. just as the red sox overpayed varitek when there was no market for him, the team seems poised to do the same with their DH. it won't be as bad as blowing money on some disasterous big money free agent, but the expectation should be that he will mis significant time as his body continues to break down. there's always hgh though... so there's that...

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

From ESPNBoston.com:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/23391/ortiz-on-deal-were-going-to-figure-it-out

"œWe'™re talking,"Ortiz said. "œWe'™ll be talking again sometime this week and hopefully everything goes well. It seems like they want to move forward and now that they have the manager locked up, we'™re going to figure it out and hopefully it gets done. 

"œHopefully we get it done by the end of the World Series."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I think the Yankees will show interest in Ortiz (at least to drive up the asking price). 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

5 years at $50MM.  he can hit with a cane in years 4 and 5 for all i care.

surely the boston red sox can afford 10MM for a plus DH.

or they can act the fool and we can have kalish as our DH next year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

From ESPNBoston.com:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/23391/ortiz-on-deal-were-going-to-figure-it-out

"œWe'™re talking,"Ortiz said. "œWe'™ll be talking again sometime this week and hopefully everything goes well. It seems like they want to move forward and now that they have the manager locked up, we'™re going to figure it out and hopefully it gets done. 

"œHopefully we get it done by the end of the World Series."

[/QUOTE]

The Ortiz deal will get done, and sooner rather than later.  Like John Farrell, Ortiz isn't "new and shiny" enough for some people, so they are hoping it doesn't happen.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

From ESPNBoston.com:

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8542106/david-ortiz-finalizing-deal-boston-red-sox-according-baseball-source

BOSTON -- The Boston Red Sox are finalizing the terms of a two-year deal with free agent designated hitter David Ortiz that they hope to announce before the end of the week, according to a baseball source.

The two-year term -- something that was of utmost importance to the 36-year-old Ortiz -- has already been agreed upon, the source said Tuesday, but the sides are still haggling on compensation.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

all I can tell you is it isn't done with the red sox and that is who we are talking about.  I doubt Ortiz will go for that type of contract, but if he does then you should become a sports agent.

4 examples on the internet which can easily be challenged, does not qualify it to being done all the time.

[/QUOTE]

How can they be challenged. Its in their contract which happens to be ...well...a CONTRACT.

You asked and I provided...I really dont feel like doing the research going back a few years to prove it, although I could. The point is, it is common practice and has be throughout the years. Vesting options are done all the time.

Now to your point of whether the Sox do it or Papi accepts it is a completely different story. That point is, without a doubt, valid...

[/QUOTE]

What I meant by challenged is your link and what is the actual wording of the contract.  As I said, lackey agreed to a year at the league minimum if injured.  This does not carry over to another team if traded, and no one expects lackey to be here to the end of his contract.

as far as josh, that was a long term deal. So we are back to it being rare for the sox if he is the only one you can name.  You won't find ortiz signing a deal like this unless the sox give him 3 or more years, which ain't gonna happen. Bottom line is: don't bet your house that ortiz will sign a contract as you described.

[/QUOTE]

I already stated that this is a valid point and agree with you on this. The Sox have done this type of contract, although your right, mostly in a long term deal.

I dont thing giving papi 2yrs around 24mm would hinder this team in any way shape or form. Even if papi doesnt hit enough to warrant 12mm, although I believe he will, I still would have no issue with it, like some here do. I suggested they could add a vesting option if they were worried about not getting the production for the $$ spent. I also stated in other posts that I wouldnt lose sleep if there was no option in place and it was a straight 2yr deal.

Its not like were giving him a 5yr 100mm deal like some here are acting like and wanting to offer him 6mm and 1 yr. as if we need to watch are cash like the rays or A's. We need to watch what we spend ie; Grienke, hamilton, not 24mm on Papi for 2 years. thats hardly a crippling deal and wouldnt prevent the sox from doing any other moves like the Gonzo, CC deals did.
    If anyone deserves a contract its papi IMO.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I agree with southpaw, but I'm pretty sure I already said that on this thread.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Awesome, 5 examples in a league of 800-1000 major leaguers. That's about 0.5%.

Sure, just hand out more bad money, why not?

Either he doesn't perform, and it's wasted. Or he actually DOES perform (at 37, a year after a heel injury cost him 6 months when people thought it would be 2-3 weeks. Those people being the team and medical staff). And if he does perform, why would I believe he WON'T whine again about an extension?

He wanted two years after 2011 (and talked about retiring a Sox at the end of it, after 2013) and got one. Seems to me one more should've been all he wanted to live up to what HE said, and retire a Sox. But no, here we go with wanting 2 years AGAIN.

The guy's head has inflated to Bondsesque proportions. He has routinely placed himself, and his stats above the team and above winning. He is NOT a team player, he's not a leader, he's nothing more than a guy that can possibly walk to the plate 4 times a game, and hope something doesn't blow out if/when he has to run the bases. And the Sox are about to pay him twice as much (in both years and money) what any other team would.

When has it EVER worked out for the Sox when they bid against themselves like this?

Drew?

Lackey?

Cameron?

Beckett (second time around)?

Lugo?

Renteria?

DiceK?

These are all guys who got contracts above what the market was dictating. The Sox overpaid to be sure they "got their man", and they did...to the detriment of the team. Every. Single. Fing. Time.

Next up, might as well go give Hamilton 7 years and 140million. Hey, those first 2 years should be awesome, right? It's the cost of doing business, right?

It baffles me how sentimentality translates into retardation. Is that a word? Or am I being afflicted too?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Awesome, 5 examples in a league of 800-1000 major leaguers. That's about 0.5%.

Sure, just hand out more bad money, why not?

Either he doesn't perform, and it's wasted. Or he actually DOES perform (at 37, a year after a heel injury cost him 6 months when people thought it would be 2-3 weeks. Those people being the team and medical staff). And if he does perform, why would I believe he WON'T whine again about an extension?

He wanted two years after 2011 (and talked about retiring a Sox at the end of it, after 2013) and got one. Seems to me one more should've been all he wanted to live up to what HE said, and retire a Sox. But no, here we go with wanting 2 years AGAIN.

The guy's head has inflated to Bondsesque proportions. He has routinely placed himself, and his stats above the team and above winning. He is NOT a team player, he's not a leader, he's nothing more than a guy that can possibly walk to the plate 4 times a game, and hope something doesn't blow out if/when he has to run the bases. And the Sox are about to pay him twice as much (in both years and money) what any other team would.

When has it EVER worked out for the Sox when they bid against themselves like this?

Drew?

Lackey?

Cameron?

Beckett (second time around)?

Lugo?

Renteria?

DiceK?

These are all guys who got contracts above what the market was dictating. The Sox overpaid to be sure they "got their man", and they did...to the detriment of the team. Every. Single. Fing. Time.

Next up, might as well go give Hamilton 7 years and 140million. Hey, those first 2 years should be awesome, right? It's the cost of doing business, right?

It baffles me how sentimentality translates into retardation. Is that a word? Or am I being afflicted too?

[/QUOTE]

How does signing D Ortiz for 2 years at around 13M per equate to giving Hamilton 20M per for 7 years? The first contract will not cripple you financially while the second will. Please try to be logical when presenting an argument. Also all the contracts you brought up besides Cameron were long term deals. As I've said before I think it hasn't been the AAV of contracts that has killed the Sox' chances so much as the length. 2 years for the big man will not hinder the Red Sox in anything else they want to do.