3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Ortiz looking for 2 years

is Papi's stock somehow higher this year than last?  i think someone is going to feel "disrespected" soon..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

I'm looking at the Ortiz thing as a good PR move for the Red Sox regarding current and potential players.  It says if you play hard and are a good teammate the Red Sox will appreciate you.  It may influence others to appreciate the Red Sox than look at it as just a job.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lives2ski. Show lives2ski's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

David Ortiz is poised to hit free agency. And, no surprise, he wants a multi-year deal. He said this to Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald:

“Yeah, of course, it’s something I don’t want to be worried about anymore … If I can play, I can play. You can’t take that away from me. I think it’s easier for me not to be answering the questions you’re asking me right now the whole year.”

Ortiz has been down this road before: he’s wanted multi-year extensions in the past and the Red Sox haven’t been willing, probably thinking that Ortiz could hit a wall at any time. But despite some partial-year slumps, he’s come roaring back and stands now as the Sox’ best hitter. Before his injury this year: .318/.415/.611 with 23 home runs, 60 RBI and a 1.026 OPS in 90 games. He’s gonna get paid by someone.

That said, given the fact that there will be interleague all season going forward, I wonder if Ortiz will be one of the last of the truly full-time DHs. I wonder if this is the last monster deal a DH signs. Probably not, but it is weird to see how few of his ilk are around the game

I Say Give Him The 2 Year Deal, We Need His Bat...

[/QUOTE]

I believe it is the same number of interleague games as in past seasons.  The only difference is that they won't be concentrated but more spread out with only 2 teams playing interleague on any given day.  New schdule shouldn't affect Ortiz' value.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

From SI.com:   

Under the new schedule format, a team plays 19 games against each division rival for a total of 76, and six or seven against each league opponent in the other two divisions for a total of 66. Each club will play 20 interleague games over eight series. 

In the old format, teams in the AL East, AL Central, NL East and NL West played division rivals 18 times each, while AL West played in-division opponents 19 times apiece and NL Central teams met 15-18 times. AL interdivision opponents met six to 10 times and NL interdivision opponents six to nine times. While AL teams played 18 interleague games, the total varied from 12-18 in the NL.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to MichFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm looking at the Ortiz thing as a good PR move for the Red Sox regarding current and potential players.  It says if you play hard and are a good teammate the Red Sox will appreciate you.  It may influence others to appreciate the Red Sox than look at it as just a job.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you which is why Ortiz deserves a two-year deal. 

A two-year, $25 million deal sounds reasonable.  After all, the Red Sox gave a bleep-load of years and money to John Lackey.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

People want to talk about only 90 games played this year. But if you look at his Sox career, besides the HBP on the wrist which only allowed 109 GP that year, Papi hasnt played in less than 140 games in any given season except 2003 when he first came to Boston. and that was over 130 GP.

Hes been durable and proved last year that hes willing to put the time in the gym to stay in shape. I say they should give him a 1yr deal at 12-13mm with a vesting option for games played for 2014.

I believe he can still put up the numbers as long as hes on the field and giving him "market value" WOULD be an insult as hes blown away every DH in stats and has a great track record in Boston. It would also be a PR nightmare for them to not offer him a deal or lowball him.

Sorry, but although I think WMB, Pedey, Ross, and Salty can add some power, Papi is needed as an anchor in that lineup as we saw how much of a hit the offense took when he was out.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Ortiz had a higher OBP and a higher SLG than Triple Crown winner Miggy.  But there are still people who think he's easy to replace.  Too funny.  I remember at the start of the year there were people suggesting we let Ortiz go and have Lavarnway DH.  Well, let's see how their final numbers compare:

Ortiz 318/415/611 - 1026

Lavarnway 157/211/248 - 459

Yep, that was a great idea.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lives2ski. Show lives2ski's posts

No question "disrespecting" Ortiz by offering him what a 37 year old (in November) DH coming off a major injury might get on the open market could be a potential PR nightmare.

But I keep comng back to the fact that, even with the dollars that the Red Sox feed up, the farm and the 2012 FA crop don't seem likely to be able to upgrade the last place Red Sox back into a playoff contender in one off season.  So, does it make sense to tie up $12-$15 mil for a DH on a team that may struggle to win 80 games in 2013?    

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Last offseason this clown said:

"I want a 2 year deal to retire as a Red Sox".

He already got one year, I may have gone to public school, but 1 MORE year seems to be what he already SAID he wanted!

Now he AGAIN wants 2 years?

For a guy that blew out his ankle running the bases?

For a guy that hasn't played well when under contract for the following season in 5 years?

For a guy that has whined about money for 3 years?

Fking idiocy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MichFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you which is why Ortiz deserves a two-year deal. 

A two-year, $25 million deal sounds reasonable.  After all, the Red Sox gave a bleep-load of years and money to John Lackey.

[/QUOTE]

A PR move like signing Lackey to begin with?

Or a PR move like hiring Valentine?

Yeah, justify another bad contract by citing a worse one, genius. Pure genius.

When has he been a good teammate? What? Please share something where he has displayed being a 'good teammate'? I'm not saying he's horrible...but where was his leadership over the past 2 years? He threw Francona under the bus 2 Septembers ago when he backed Aceves...we saw what kind of guy he turned out to be.

Have most of Sox Nation learned NOTHING?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ortiz had a higher OBP and a higher SLG than Triple Crown winner Miggy.  But there are still people who think he's easy to replace.  Too funny.  I remember at the start of the year there were people suggesting we let Ortiz go and have Lavarnway DH.  Well, let's see how their final numbers compare:

Ortiz 318/415/611 - 1026

Lavarnway 157/211/248 - 459

Yep, that was a great idea.

[/QUOTE]

And what did all that 'production' get them? 3rd place?

But there are still some people around here who are blinded by empty numbers. Depressing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]And what did all that 'production' get them? 3rd place?

But there are still some people around here who are blinded by empty numbers. Depressing.[/QUOTE]

You should stick to football.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]And what did all that 'production' get them? 3rd place?

But there are still some people around here who are blinded by empty numbers. Depressing.[/QUOTE]

You should stick to football.

[/QUOTE]

Good analysis sideshow. How many playoff appearances in the past 3 years? So how did his production help anything?

If you want to talk baseball, go for it. You offered NOTHING in that infantile post. You should stick to checkers.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]
    Good analysis sideshow. How many playoff appearances in the past 3 years? So how did his production help anything?

[/QUOTE]

C'mon dragon, that's a terrible argument.  If that's the measuring stick then we should unload Pedroia too.  And the Pirates have no need for Andrew McCutcheon since he hasn't put him in the playoffs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Madragon :

[/QUOTE]

And what did all that 'production' get them? 3rd place?

But there are still some people around here who are blinded by empty numbers. Depressing."

That kind of makes me wonder why the Mariners haven't gotten rid of that slacker Felix Hernandez yet.He's been in Seattle since 2005 and the M's haven't sniffed a playoff game. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Good analysis sideshow. How many playoff appearances in the past 3 years? So how did his production help anything?

If you want to talk baseball, go for it. You offered NOTHING in that infantile post. You should stick to checkers.[/QUOTE]

And exactly what analysis have you offered besides the fact that you hate David Ortiz? But I guess I shouldn't expect more from a guy who doesn't actually watch Red Sox games. BTW I wasn't trying to be insulting, as I find your posts on football to be both thoughtful and informative. But thank you for your condescending and insulting reply.

Sections
Shortcuts