Re: Ortiz looking for 2 years

if we can give Lackey 85 mil..........I think we can give Ortiz 25

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MichFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm looking at the Ortiz thing as a good PR move for the Red Sox regarding current and potential players.  It says if you play hard and are a good teammate the Red Sox will appreciate you.  It may influence others to appreciate the Red Sox than look at it as just a job.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you which is why Ortiz deserves a two-year deal. 

A two-year, $25 million deal sounds reasonable.  After all, the Red Sox gave a bleep-load of years and money to John Lackey.

[/QUOTE]
    I definitely agree that Ortiz should be resigned by the Red Sox.  Who are they going to sign to replace him?  He should be one of the top priorities during the offseason. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]Good analysis sideshow. How many playoff appearances in the past 3 years? So how did his production help anything?

If you want to talk baseball, go for it. You offered NOTHING in that infantile post. You should stick to checkers.[/QUOTE]

And exactly what analysis have you offered besides the fact that you hate David Ortiz? But I guess I shouldn't expect more from a guy who doesn't actually watch Red Sox games. BTW I wasn't trying to be insulting, as I find your posts on football to be both thoughtful and informative. But thank you for your condescending and insulting reply.

[/QUOTE]

I offered analysis time and time again for 3 years now. Most people would rather stick their head in the sand that take some time to look at what he's done.

-The public compaining about money

-The public complaining about stats

-Throwing Francona under the bus

-His comments after last year about considering going to NY, and not wanting to deal with the nonsense here...the nonsense he didn't help to diffuse as the longest tenured member of the team.

-And, what, exactly are we trying to replace? A guy who's ankle exploded running the bases? Is he going to be in BETTER Condition now that he's a year older? Is his body more, or less likely to hold up over 162 game season?

NEWS FLASH! This team likely isn't going to be any better next year either...so why just throw MORE money away?

-The past 2 seasons have led to 2 managerial firings. This may very well be the first time in the history of MLB a team is going to a third manager in three years.

-Why should I think it won't carry over? The horrible september from 2011 carried over to this year, and they just had a WORSE september in 2012.

People were whining and complaining about "how are we going to replace Beckett?" I doubt anyone would have the guts to come and defend that line of thinking...but lets just transfer it to Ortiz since it made so much sense with Beckett...

You people need to wake up and look at the reality of this team

To Felix in SEA...ummm, I've heard for at least 2 years how Seattle is going to trade Hernandez to Boston because they stink, so which side of that should I listen to? Some of you were on BOTH sides now.

McCutcheon and Pedroia are UNDER CONTRACT, their situations aren't even CLOSE to comparable. ORtiz is a FREE AGENT! A FA who said he 'just wants 2 years' last year...and now 'just wants 2 more years'. If he starts producing and actually stays healthy, what would suggest he won't AGAIN start whining about money, respect, and contract length? He's proven it over the past few YEARS! I can GUARANTEE that if they give him 2 years, and he produces in 2013, the whining will start in spring training of 2014...as is his MO.

And Carnie...if you weren't trying to be insulting, you really need to work on your people skills. To say NOTHING other than 'you should stick to football'...well, if that isn't insulting, or an attempt to be, I don't know what is. It was a thinly veiled jab. If you want to deny it now, fine, but I'll think you're lying. I responded in kind, and when I feel someone took the first jab at me, yes, I go over the top to hammer my point home.

And, to everyone else AGAIN who is saying "well they gave X money to Lackey, so they can just give him  2/25"...what got them into this trouble in the FIRST place? That kind of thinking. If you've beenhappy with the team for the past 3 seasons...then fine. The conversation ends their. I've been frustrated with this team for a few years, and have caught a considerable amount of flak for it, and if nothing else, I'm staying consistent. This mess is a LONG way from being fixed, and Ortiz does not represent any kind of solution.

Wipe the slate CLEAN, and start over. IF this team is going to be successful in the next 86 years, it's NOT going to be because of Ortiz. It's probably not going to be because of Pedroia or Lester either. It's going to be Middlebrooks, Bogaerts, Bradley, and others who are currently working their way through the minors. 2007 was a LONG time ago...if it wasn't, people would be sayingt o just pay Mike Lowell whatever he wants to...as they did. And the Sox paid him...and how'd that work out?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Ortiz was once a very team-oriented guy. Here's some FACTS about the past 2 seasons:

2011: During ST, in the middle of the season, during 'the collapse' AND immediately after the seaosn he talked about wanting 2 years, and kept talking money.

2012: During the final week of the season, one of the WORST seasons in Red Sox history, he AGAIN talks money and wanting a 2 year deal.

How selfish can a guy be? It's all about him, will always be about him. If they gave him 2 years, and he produces in 2013...you think he won't start whining AGAIN!? He has a long track record of doing exactly that.

They guy has turned from one of the most beloved players in their history to "Manny part Deux", or maybe it should be "part duh".

Manny did as much, probably MORE than Ortiz ever did...but he didn't smile as much and play to the fans sentiment like Ortiz does...he just played baseball. When he started to do things like this, fans ran him out of town. Why does Ortiz get a pass from so many people?

If the Sox don't sign him, watch him flounder and go play somewhere for 8mil. Nobody is going to give 10mil to a guy who blew out his ankle running the bases. 2 years? HA!

Your WELCOME for saving you from Minnesota and giving you a chance to make 100million dollars and win 2 rings. Thanks for the help you provided, but it took more than you, happy trails.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to bellhorn_'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Because of the down economy, I got a 2% raise this year. Think Ortiz would settle for that?

[/QUOTE]

that's all you're worth......Ortiz is a valued commodity.....give him the two years.

Curt Schilling Deadbeat Fraud Clown

[/QUOTE]

Valued to WHO? DH is in 'sell' mode across baseball...except in Boston. WHere, apparently people are smarter than everyone else. At least, that's how ownership has acted for the past 5 years or so. I guess I shouldn't be surprised it rubs off on some fans.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

From MLBTraderumors.com:

David Ortiz is still looking for two years and $25-30MM, according to the Boston Herald's John Tomase. Ortiz told Tomase that he expects the Red Sox to reach out to his representatives at SFX next week.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

From MLBTraderumors.com:

David Ortiz is still looking for two years and $25-30MMaccording to the Boston Herald's John Tomase. Ortiz told Tomase that he expects the Red Sox to reach out to his representatives at SFX next week.

[/QUOTE]

No-brainer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

25 million for two years sounds perfect.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm in agreement.  The only thing is, there are no other DH's making close to this much, unless you include Adam Dunn.  So it would seem to be an overpay if there are no other bidders for his services.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Roy....really?  I've loved Ortiz, still love him, stood by him despite his 2009/2010 poor starts.

....but...he's aging, very expensive, fairly position-less...perhaps his freakish injury was just bad luck, but......

Ortiz as DH for $12-15m, or resign Ross to DH/OF at an upgrade from his 2012 salary of $3m to 5/6 and spend the other 7-8 million on other positions?

Could Ross learn to play 1B?  Maybe not at GG level, but if he could do it at 1/5 of AGon's salary I'd put up with a few errors....

Ross as DH? You've got to be kidding. Ortiz hits left handers. Ross does not hit right handers well, and most pitchers are right handers. Ross should play RF against LH pitching. Period.

[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

GIVE IT TO HIM.

Sox offseason priorties in order beginning in the offseason.

Day 1: Re-sign Ortiz. GIVE HIM THE TWO YEARS AND BE DONE WITH IT.

DAY 2: Everything else.

[/QUOTE]

Bingo!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The Jays are a team that might be willing to make a play for Ortiz.  They could use a bat and they could use some good buzz, and they keep saying they have payroll room.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomp4. Show boomp4's posts

Ortiz wants 25-30 million over 2 years. Way too much for an aging DH. There is no market for him as Vlad quickly found out. Sign him when/if his price demands drop to reasonable.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm in agreement.  The only thing is, there are no other DH's making close to this much, unless you include Adam Dunn.  So it would seem to be an overpay if there are no other bidders for his services.

[/QUOTE]

If there are no other DH's making close to his salary other than Dunn (and of course none putting up his numbers either except Dunn) - why not let him go FA market and see if anyone offers him more than the Sox are willing to go.  Since he is not the future of the Sox, why not just cut him and have another year like this year while the Sox build that bridge to the future that the fans have been waiting for the past 5 years?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Good analysis sideshow. How many playoff appearances in the past 3 years? So how did his production help anything?

If you want to talk baseball, go for it. You offered NOTHING in that infantile post. You should stick to checkers.[/QUOTE]

And exactly what analysis have you offered besides the fact that you hate David Ortiz? But I guess I shouldn't expect more from a guy who doesn't actually watch Red Sox games. BTW I wasn't trying to be insulting, as I find your posts on football to be both thoughtful and informative. But thank you for your condescending and insulting reply.

[/QUOTE]

I offered analysis time and time again for 3 years now. Most people would rather stick their head in the sand that take some time to look at what he's done.

-The public compaining about money

-The public complaining about stats

-Throwing Francona under the bus

-His comments after last year about considering going to NY, and not wanting to deal with the nonsense here...the nonsense he didn't help to diffuse as the longest tenured member of the team.

-And, what, exactly are we trying to replace? A guy who's ankle exploded running the bases? Is he going to be in BETTER Condition now that he's a year older? Is his body more, or less likely to hold up over 162 game season?

NEWS FLASH! This team likely isn't going to be any better next year either...so why just throw MORE money away?

-The past 2 seasons have led to 2 managerial firings. This may very well be the first time in the history of MLB a team is going to a third manager in three years.

-Why should I think it won't carry over? The horrible september from 2011 carried over to this year, and they just had a WORSE september in 2012.

People were whining and complaining about "how are we going to replace Beckett?" I doubt anyone would have the guts to come and defend that line of thinking...but lets just transfer it to Ortiz since it made so much sense with Beckett...

You people need to wake up and look at the reality of this team

To Felix in SEA...ummm, I've heard for at least 2 years how Seattle is going to trade Hernandez to Boston because they stink, so which side of that should I listen to? Some of you were on BOTH sides now.

McCutcheon and Pedroia are UNDER CONTRACT, their situations aren't even CLOSE to comparable. ORtiz is a FREE AGENT! A FA who said he 'just wants 2 years' last year...and now 'just wants 2 more years'. If he starts producing and actually stays healthy, what would suggest he won't AGAIN start whining about money, respect, and contract length? He's proven it over the past few YEARS! I can GUARANTEE that if they give him 2 years, and he produces in 2013, the whining will start in spring training of 2014...as is his MO.

And Carnie...if you weren't trying to be insulting, you really need to work on your people skills. To say NOTHING other than 'you should stick to football'...well, if that isn't insulting, or an attempt to be, I don't know what is. It was a thinly veiled jab. If you want to deny it now, fine, but I'll think you're lying. I responded in kind, and when I feel someone took the first jab at me, yes, I go over the top to hammer my point home.

And, to everyone else AGAIN who is saying "well they gave X money to Lackey, so they can just give him  2/25"...what got them into this trouble in the FIRST place? That kind of thinking. If you've beenhappy with the team for the past 3 seasons...then fine. The conversation ends their. I've been frustrated with this team for a few years, and have caught a considerable amount of flak for it, and if nothing else, I'm staying consistent. This mess is a LONG way from being fixed, and Ortiz does not represent any kind of solution.

Wipe the slate CLEAN, and start over. IF this team is going to be successful in the next 86 years, it's NOT going to be because of Ortiz. It's probably not going to be because of Pedroia or Lester either. It's going to be Middlebrooks, Bogaerts, Bradley, and others who are currently working their way through the minors. 2007 was a LONG time ago...if it wasn't, people would be sayingt o just pay Mike Lowell whatever he wants to...as they did. And the Sox paid him...and how'd that work out?

[/QUOTE]

The Red Sox have a great deal of trouble "wiping the slate clean".  Keep in mind that even though over-the-hill stiffs like Varitek and Wakefield retired last season, THEY WERE INVITED TO SPRING TRAINING.  They were told by Valentine they most likely wouldn't make the team and that is why they left.  If he hadn't told them that they would have been around for another year this past season.  With Ortiz it is a bit more complicated.  Papi may have something left but he is now a big injury risk---achilles tendons don't heal that quickly and permanently, plus he has has shoulder, neck, knee and other assorted injuries to boot.  I would give him a one year offer---take it or leave it.  We have to turn the page somewhere finally and u tterly.  Just because we gave money to Lackey should not mean we keep doing these stupid things over and over again.  If Papi says no, good luck to him and thanks for the memories.  This is a business, a ruthless one and the bottom line is producing a winner.  We need to go in a new direction.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I wonder how people will react if the Sox don't re-sign Ortiz, but also don't spend the money they would have spent on Ortiz.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

[QUOTE]

I wonder how people will react if the Sox don't re-sign Ortiz, but also don't spend the money they would have spent on Ortiz.

[/QUOTE]

HFX, I think it depends on the people themselves.  The more aggressive press members and media would climb all over Prune Face and his miserable satrap Lucchino and those type of fans would scream bloody murder.  The rumbswabs and pollyannas would merely nod and stay with the party line they are so infamous for and praise the front office as they always do, this time for being prudent and thing of the future-----which right now could go either way.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It will get spent, most likely, though not next year. Red Sox fans are generally savvy and realize that this is a rebuilding period. There is absolutely no point at all in giving Ortiz two years when there is a significant possibility that he could drag the 2014 team down by occupying a roster spot and needed payroll, thereby impeding a run for a playoff spot that year. If he gets two years the second year should be a club option; let him EARN his second year here. If he walks, he walks. Later on, when his career is over, if he wants to retire as a Red Sox, they can sign him to a one day contract and make that happen. As Fred said, this is a ruthless business. There is no room for sentiment.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

So,let's hear some suggestions on how to replace his numbers for a 2 year 25M deal.Who's the player you think they should bring in?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So,let's hear some suggestions on how to replace his numbers for a 2 year 25M deal.Who's the player you think they should bring in?

[/QUOTE]

Next year it doesn't matter who the DH is: no DH is going to fix the pitching issues on the club in one year, so we are likely not going to the playoffs. So we are looking at a DH for 2014. I am in favor of using that roster spot to spell some of the players on a rotating basis. That increases the flexibility of the position. Besides, no one knows how long Ortiz will put up "his numbers". It won't be forever.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

this thread is still going....forget 2 years....i say sign him to 5 years @ 50MM.

even if he is only a shell to roll out as a PH every once in awhile his last 2 years it will be worth it.  Fffff john henry and his money.  papi will at least take 10% of that and build ball fields in DR.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Let's face it, if the Sox do re-sign Papi, part of the reason is for box-office appeal.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It will get spent, most likely, though not next year. Red Sox fans are generally savvy and realize that this is a rebuilding period. There is absolutely no point at all in giving Ortiz two years when there is a significant possibility that he could drag the 2014 team down by occupying a roster spot and needed payroll, thereby impeding a run for a playoff spot that year. If he gets two years the second year should be a club option; let him EARN his second year here. If he walks, he walks. Later on, when his career is over, if he wants to retire as a Red Sox, they can sign him to a one day contract and make that happen. As Fred said, this is a ruthless business. There is no room for sentiment.

[/QUOTE]

You are basically saying either improve the pitching and make the offensive worse or maintian the status quo. You can sign Ortiz and still add an arm or two.

Sections
Shortcuts