Ortiz looking for 2 years

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Re: Ortiz looking for 2 years

There should be no screwing around with Ortiz.  Give him the two year contract he wants.  He is the type of ball player most of us want on the team. He is a team guy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MichFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There should be no screwing around with Ortiz.  Give him the two year contract he wants.  He is the type of ball player most of us want on the team. He is a team guy.

[/QUOTE]

Id be very surprised if they didnt give him some kind of 2yr deal...

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Not even a torn achllies that we know.  It's not like he was 70 years old.  It will heal before training camp. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from smuldy84. Show smuldy84's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In MLB career baseball years, he is 70 years old. If he passed medical scrutiny, the market will be one year, not two years. Any two year offer will simply be a giant lop off the base, such that the total guarantee will be very close to the 12M with team option buyout max guaranteed market.

[/QUOTE]

yes that is true, would be a shame if these billionaires overpaid a player who earned every cent he made (and then some when he took a discount on his first extension) instead of doling out 18m to the next John Lackey, 200 million to Liverpool, and pocketed the other $200 million they dont spend next year but charge we idiots anyway through $60 bleacher tickets and $10 budweisers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:

In MLB career baseball years, he is 70 years old. If he passed medical scrutiny, the market will be one year, not two years. Any two year offer will simply be a giant lop off the base, such that the total guarantee will be very close to the 12M with team option buyout max guaranteed market.

Is there anyone on the Red Sox or in their front office that you actually like? I can't think of anyone you've praised in the last 6 months. You at least used to show some love for D Ortiz, but I guess that was only so you could bash the front office about him. Now that they're getting ready to sign him for the rest of his career, there's no love for Papi either. Maybe pike is right about you.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think a 2yr/25mm is reasonable if the 2nd year is a vesting option for games played in 2013. You could also make the base salary a bit lower and add incentives to bring it to 12.5mm...

Either way, Papi has earned every bit of his paycheck since coming to Boston, especially in his early years. From 2003-2006 he made less than 20mm. Thats an average of 5mm a year for those years. Hes earned his 12.5mm a year since that, so I dont think giving him a deal now should be a problem. Let him retire in a Sox uniform.

They paid CC and Lackey for bad production. The least they can do is pay a guy who has produced throughout his career. He gave them a deal at the start, now they should give him a deal at the end.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I'm am so sick of people trying to justify a 2 year for Ortiz by citing other bad deals. So, why not just give EVERYONE bad, overpaid deal? Sign Buccholz for 18 a year right now, and give Lester 20, 5 years apiece, right?

If there is truth to Lind coming aboard, I see SEE YA....well, even without Lind, I don't want him back. He has comlained about money and years for the past three seasons, he will do it again if he produces, and if he doesn't produce, it wasn't worth it.

Lind isn't great, but just a season ago in 2011 he hit 26 HRs and batted .255 in 125 games. Last year he only played in 95. He's 29 right now, and turns 30 mid-seasons in 2013.

Ortiz is old, can't run the bases for fear of injuring himself, complains about pitching rotations, RBI, money, years ,'drama', respect and everything else. He's made over 100million while with the Sox, to say he "deserves" anything more is stupid. Nobody was climbing over themselves to sign him back in 2003, hence the 1 year, 1 million dollar deal. Had someone offered 2 million that year, he would've signed elsewhere, and maybe never became the player he WAS. He owes Boston more than Boston owes him at this point.

Let Lind play 1B, let Saltalamacchia/Lavarnway DH/C, and move FORWARD with this team. No need to waste more money for a guy who will not make any kind of real difference. Even if he bats 300, and hits 30 HRs...so what? He's done that recently, and the Sox STILL missed the playoffs, and that was with a decent lineup around him.

Ellsbury

Pedroia

Ross (assuming signed)

Lind

Middlebrooks

Lavarnway

Saltalamacchia

Kalish/Sweeney

Iglesias

Why is that so bad for a year?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm am so sick of people trying to justify a 2 year for Ortiz by citing other bad deals. So, why not just give EVERYONE bad, overpaid deal? Sign Buccholz for 18 a year right now, and give Lester 20, 5 years apiece, right?

If there is truth to Lind coming aboard, I see SEE YA....well, even without Lind, I don't want him back. He has comlained about money and years for the past three seasons, he will do it again if he produces, and if he doesn't produce, it wasn't worth it.

Lind isn't great, but just a season ago in 2011 he hit 26 HRs and batted .255 in 125 games. Last year he only played in 95. He's 29 right now, and turns 30 mid-seasons in 2013.

Ortiz is old, can't run the bases for fear of injuring himself, complains about pitching rotations, RBI, money, years ,'drama', respect and everything else. He's made over 100million while with the Sox, to say he "deserves" anything more is stupid. Nobody was climbing over themselves to sign him back in 2003, hence the 1 year, 1 million dollar deal. Had someone offered 2 million that year, he would've signed elsewhere, and maybe never became the player he WAS. He owes Boston more than Boston owes him at this point.

Let Lind play 1B, let Saltalamacchia/Lavarnway DH/C, and move FORWARD with this team. No need to waste more money for a guy who will not make any kind of real difference. Even if he bats 300, and hits 30 HRs...so what? He's done that recently, and the Sox STILL missed the playoffs, and that was with a decent lineup around him.

Ellsbury

Pedroia

Ross (assuming signed)

Lind

Middlebrooks

Lavarnway

Saltalamacchia

Kalish/Sweeney

Iglesias

Why is that so bad for a year?

[/QUOTE]

I think Lind will probably be nothing more than depth...They took his contract so they wouldnt have to pay the price of a good prospect. Theres a reason Toronto was  basically giving him away this year and nobody took him. Maybe Im wrong and a change will do him good, I dont think so though.

Why do you think Papi would be over priced at 2/25 if the base salary is lower (more like 10mm and he has to earn the rest and the 2nd year being a vesting option thats based on games played and is also filled with incentives? Srrms fair for the production hes put up, even as recently as this year.

If he doesnt produce, he doesnt get the full salary and if he gets hurt and doesnt play, the option will not vest. Were not talking 15-20mm per and the deal covers the Sox if something should happen again.

Players complain all the time about contracts. Problem is papi went public with it. That doesnt change the fact the a lot more guys do the same thing, we just dont hear about it. I was on the side of giving him a 2yr deal last year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think a 2yr/25mm is reasonable if the 2nd year is a vesting option for games played in 2013. You could also make the base salary a bit lower and add incentives to bring it to 12.5mm...

Either way, Papi has earned every bit of his paycheck since coming to Boston, especially in his early years. From 2003-2006 he made less than 20mm. Thats an average of 5mm a year for those years. Hes earned his 12.5mm a year since that, so I dont think giving him a deal now should be a problem. Let him retire in a Sox uniform.

They paid CC and Lackey for bad production. The least they can do is pay a guy who has produced throughout his career. He gave them a deal at the start, now they should give him a deal at the end.

[/QUOTE]

Yankees paid CC for bad production? That's news.

You put CC's production with Lackey?

CC has been in NY for 4 years in which he has pitched over 900 innings in the regular season and a WS ring. Over 230 IP in three of those seasons. Lackey had 215 in 2010 and 160 last year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

I wonder if Oakland would consider Ortiz?

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Yonkersman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I believe that the CC referred to above was Carl Crawford.

Lind was replaced by another Carpenter.

[/QUOTE]

My mistake.

I guess he has a good point with Carl Crawford and Lackey.

Although Lackey could still comeback from TJ.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yankees paid CC for bad production? That's news.

You put CC's production with Lackey?

CC has been in NY for 4 years in which he has pitched over 900 innings in the regular season and a WS ring. Over 230 IP in three of those seasons. Lackey had 215 in 2010 and 160 last year.

[/QUOTE]

CC = Carl Crawford

Im also thinking Lackey could have a comeback year in 2013, but he would have to pitch to Cy Young caliber to make that contract worth it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Yonkersman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I believe that the CC referred to above was Carl Crawford.

Lind was replaced by another Carpenter.

[/QUOTE]

Yup, I guess that rumor i read was wrong. It made sense if the jays were looking to cut payroll though. Whats the deal with getting compensated with Carpenters? Chris for Theo And now David for Aviles in the Farrell deal.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Daivd Ortiz has been a good player his whole career.  He looked more ready for last season than he had for the last 3 or 4.  He lost weight and was in good shape.  He played very well unitl the foot injury.  That happens at any age.  How would you like to have A-Rod for 5 more years and $115 Mil?  The roids took a toll on him i guess.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MichFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Daivd Ortiz has been a good player his whole career.  He looked more ready for last season than he had for the last 3 or 4.  He lost weight and was in good shape.  He played very well unitl the foot injury.  That happens at any age.  How would you like to have A-Rod for 5 more years and $115 Mil?  The roids took a toll on him i guess.

[/QUOTE]

The foot injury needs to be considered when thinking about giving him a contract.  If the foot doesn't heal, Ortiz will be useless all the time instead of just the three months he took off this season.

[/QUOTE]

Thats why I suggested the 2nd year be a vesting option contingent on games played in 2013...

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Thats why I suggested the 2nd year be a vesting option contingent on games played in 2013..."

I doubt the player's union would go for this.  It is time to get rid of Ortiz. I am thinking the reason the sox stopped the talks was due to Tito signing with Cleveland.  Let Ortiz talk with his good buddy terry and see if there is interest.  Ortiz is always saying how other teams want him. Let him test the markets and when there are no takers, offer him 6 million.

[/QUOTE]

Why not? Its done all the time...

25. This post has been removed.