Ortiz: Make Aceves a starter

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Ortiz: Make Aceves a starter

It might seem like there aren't many bright spots for the Red Sox right now, seeing as they've lost 10 of their past 12 games to watch a wild-card lead that had been nine games at the start of the month cut to 1 1/2. But the relief work of Alfredo Aceves certainly qualifies.

Aceves has been so good, in fact, that David Ortiz thinks the Sox should consider giving the right-hander a start. Aceves pitched three scoreless innings today in the first game of a doubleheader with Baltimore, and even though the Sox lost, 6-5, he threw 53 pitches, giving up three hits and striking out four.

"To be honest with you, the way things are going, he should be starting. It’s as simple as that," Ortiz said. "I think at one point, he might be a starter. It all depends what the front office decides, but he’s got good stuff, and we definitely need a guy that can come in and give us six or seven good innings. He seems like he’s capable to do it, so we’ll see."

Aceves now has 12 relief appearances this season of at least three innings, which leads the majors. He's gone four straight outings without giving up a run, and has lowered his ERA to 2.74.

"Aceves has been doing that time and time again," Sox manager Terry Francona said. "The one inning he got himself into a bind he pitched himself out of it. He’s done a tremendous job. I wish he was available in the second game; knowing Aceves, he’ll want to be."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

Re: Ortiz: Make Aceves a starter

Gammons just retorted that Aceves is needed to bridge the gap between starters who are only going 5-6 innings and Bard and Papelbon.Starters are not lasting long enough.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

Aceves is 9-2 as a reliever and has been invalualbe in the role that he has been used in all season.  Without him in that role, where would the Red Sox have been coming into September?  Even with Aceves starting, you still have a depth issue in the starting rotation and then a gaping hole in what has become a very shaky bullpen.  All along, I have been of the belief that his greatest impact and asset to this team this year is out of the BP.  Now, however, due to this colossal collapse, desperate times may call for giving it a shot, though it could be too late.  Either way, the entire team (including the rest of the starting rotation) need to play better, or it won't matter. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

nice thread edith, had it been up before i started mine, wouldnt had bothered! just wanted to get it in BEFORE the game at 7... yes, aceves should definitely be in there. tito is spiting his face because he hates his big nose, throwing out the baby with the bathwater.... who cares about the 6th inning, we need to get to the 5th with out being behind by 4 or 5 every game. would make perfect sense if we were getting quality starts from the existing starters but with only becks and lester able to go deep, whats the point of holding out your 3rd best bullpen guy for the 5th or 6th inning?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Someone needs to remind Ortiz that he isn't the manager.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You mean...

maybe we just found Tito's replacement!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

bad sign when players speak out like this, bad sign indeed

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Yeah and it was David Ortiz that recommended the Sox sign Julio Lugo...

...nufced

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

I think the point is the starters can't even get to the bridge guy...the pressure on the offense is so great right now.  Score 7-8 runs or you lose.  

Maybe if Aceves starts they are able to actually have 3-4 innings to get it going offensively.  It might now work, but right now it can't hurt to try...thats for sure.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

In Response to Re: Ortiz: Make Aceves a starter:
    [QUOTE]I think the point is the starters can't even get to the bridge guy...the pressure on the offense is so great right now.  Score 7-8 runs or you lose.   Maybe if Aceves starts they are able to actually have 3-4 innings to get it going offensively.  It might now work, but right now it can't hurt to try...thats for sure.
    Posted by jarretfromportsmouth[/QUOTE]

I'm with Jarret! The way things have been going we never get to the bridge! What good is the bridge when we are down by 6 runs by the time we cross it!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Nyfan--this is nothing.  We've been in tougher binds than this by far and come out WS Champs--like that year we were down 3-1 in the playoffs to...Oh Yeah! the NYY!  See you in the playoffs...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]Nyfan--this is nothing.  We've been in tougher binds than this by far and come out WS Champs--like that year we were down 3-1 in the playoffs to...Oh Yeah! the NYY!  See you in the playoffs...
    Posted by Critter23[/QUOTE]

Critter, for the record, the Sox were down 3-0 in the ALCS - please don't discount the magnitude of the greatest choke in the history of baseball for nyfan.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Papi should stick to hitting.
    What I find puzzling is why Tito spent Aceves (50+ pitches) in a game down 6 - 4... with another game left to play.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Rather keep Aceves in the pen.  He and Papelbon are the only two getting people out back there.

If you make Aceves a starter, who relieves him?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Papi should stick to hitting. What I find puzzling is why Tito spent Aceves (50+ pitches) in a game down 6 - 4... with another game left to play.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Because he was trying to hold Baltimore?

The way the Sox kept answering them, he probably thought he had a chance to get back in that one if he could just shut them down for a few....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

[QUOTE]Papi should stick to hitting. What I find puzzling is why Tito spent Aceves (50+ pitches) in a game down 6 - 4... with another game left to play.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

I didn't give up on them when they were down 6-4, why did you?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ortiz: Make Aceves a starter : Because he was trying to hold Baltimore? The way the Sox kept answering them, he probably thought he had a chance to get back in that one if he could just shut them down for a few....
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Not a good pct. play, Notin. It means Boston has to shut them down and score 3 runs. Or score minimum 3 runs over anything O's did.
    With another game hours away, it was a panic move.

He had to rely on Atchison and CO. instead of having access to Aceves to get the job done in game two. Fortunately, it was enough, thanks in part to the offenseive barrage.

Tito would have some splainin' to do had lower BP depth coughed it up.
    The gamble was not a good risk.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ortiz: Make Aceves a starter : I didn't give up on them when they were down 6-4, why did you?
    Posted by BeaconHill19[/QUOTE]

Wasn't a matter of giving up.
    Just holding your high card for a better option.

Ed. G. Robinson once said (CINCINNATI KID)
    "That's what it's all about, kid. Making the wrong play at the right time".

Today was a perfect example of that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karlosantonylimtiaco. Show Karlosantonylimtiaco's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Ortiz: Make Aceves a starter : It doesn't matter any more. You all are finished. Get ready to play some golf soon.
    Posted by nyfan11[/QUOTE]

And I suppose the Yankees are playing good ball these days? It seems to me that both teams are ending with a whimper. The Yankees will take the division merely because the Redsox somehow managed to give it to them. My concern now is that they are overflowing in their generosity and are attempting to hand the wild card to the Rays. While the Yankees were much abliged to receive the gift, I'm not sure the Rays will. Perhaps, at the end of the day, the Redsox are forced to play in the post season and then decide, "What the heck! Let's go ahead and play some ball!" Hey fellas, just don't let us win the wild card. Then we will have Becket. He won't lose. Then we have Lester. He will finally right the ship. Bucholz is in the wings and he will be ready to go! If I remember my history well, crazier things have happened. In 2004 Redsox nation was dead and in the tomb. There was no reason for any hope at all. The evil one had gained the upper hand. And then there came a rumbling and Red Sox Nation was raised from the dead. No one could keep us down, not even the likes of an evil empire. Never count the good guys out! Never get too confident. Anything can happen! I would rather be a Redsox fan with one ring in 2004 than a Yankee fan with 28. You can have your rings. You can talk your smack. But you will never have the heart of a Red Sox Fan!

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

"To be honest with you, the way things are going, he should be starting. It’s as simple as that," Ortiz said. "I think at one point, he might be a starter. It all depends what the front office decides, but he’s got good stuff, and we definitely need a guy that can come in and give us six or seven good innings. He seems like he’s capable to do it, so we’ll see."

The idiocy is those talking about Aceves as a bridge from nowhere that is Tim Wakefield and Lackey. More imprtant to get 5 or 6 innings of 2 or 3 runs in most starts every 5 days, than go down 4 and 5 runs in the first few innings.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from athens7676. Show athens7676's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ortiz: Make Aceves a starter : You did not win in 2004.  Manny and Ortiz were on roids and they cheated.  You haven't won a legitimate championship since 1918.
    Posted by nyfan11[/QUOTE]

OK "NYfan" while Manny & Ortiz were on the juice, so were many members of the Yankees during their championship runs. None of the titles during that time were tainted.... there were plenty of steriods for hitters and pitchers both ... throughout all of baseball. The playing field was plenty level on that front. How can you come after Ortiz whe Knoblauch was juicing? or Pettite? There is no DEFINITIVE way to decide "tainted" championships. Every TEAM had guys on the juice.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]"To be honest with you, the way things are going, he should be starting. It’s as simple as that," Ortiz said. "I think at one point, he might be a starter. It all depends what the front office decides, but he’s got good stuff, and we definitely need a guy that can come in and give us six or seven good innings. He seems like he’s capable to do it, so we’ll see." The idiocyis those talking about Aceves as a bridge from nowhere that is Tim Wakefield and Lackey. More imprtant to get 5 or 6 innings of 2 or 3 runs in most starts every 5 days, than go down 4 and 5 runs in the first few innings.
    Posted by 1958lesspaul[/QUOTE]

The idiocy is drawing the comparison in the first place.
    Aceves starting in 2011:  5.14 ERA  1.571 WHIP
    Aceves relieving in 2011: 2.12 ERA    1.012 WHIP

Sections
Shortcuts