Ortiz on 2011 season: 'I'm a beast. I’m strong as hell.'

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Ortiz on 2011 season: 'I'm a beast. I’m strong as hell.'

by Alex Speier/WEEI

Red Sox slugger David Ortiz is amidst one of the best seasons of his career. His .311 average is the second best of his career, and his .985 OPS also ranks alongside the marks he posted between 2003-07, when he finished in the top five in MVP voting every year.

The slugger suggests that his huge year at age 35 is a dramatic rebuttal to those who thought that his peak years had passed.

“I’m not going to stay 20 my whole life. If you’re good at what you do, it doesn’t matter how old you get. You’re good,” said Ortiz. “Most of the people who say that, if they played baseball, their career was average, so they struggled.

“Dude, I’m a strong human being. I’m a beast. I’m strong as hell. I know how to stay strong. That’s why, at my age, you see me doing what I’m still doing. Somebody told me, ‘Guys, when they get to your age, there’s no way they can hit 30 homers.’ Really? We’ll see. We’ll see.

“People always want to talk about that. It’s not the same for everybody. How many guys can play as many games as Cal Ripken played? There’s only one Cal Ripken. How many guys are going to get as many hits as Pete Rose got? There’s only one Pete Rose.

“There’s always special people in this game. You can put it on the same page. Trust me, what I’m doing right now is something that I know I have the capacity to do it.”

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyintheboogiedown. Show mikeyintheboogiedown's posts

Re: Ortiz on 2011 season: 'I'm a beast'

Dude, I’m a strong human being. I’m a beast. I’m strong as hell. I know how to stay strong. That’s why, at my age, you see me doing what I’m still doing. Somebody told me, ‘Guys, when they get to your age, there’s no way they can hit 30 homers.’ Really? We’ll see. We’ll see.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Re: Ortiz on 2011 season: 'I'm a beast. I’m strong as hell.'

Bellsbury is most Red Sox fans favorite, despite Ortiz superior plate numbers. Fact.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

He's having a great year, they better re sign the man. He looks fitter than he has since 2004. Keep it up big guy, we love ya.

There will only ever be one Big Papi, I enjoy watching this guy play, it will be sad when it ends.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

In Response to Re: Ortiz on 2011 season: 'I'm a beast. I’m strong as hell.':
    Bellsbury is most Red Sox fans favorite, despite Ortiz superior plate numbers. Fact.
    Posted by S0ftl@w

Is it a fact?  Did you take a poll?  Not going by the mesage board, are you?  I'm not even sure it's fact that Ortiz has supeiror plate numbers.  You counting runs scored, stolen bases, etc?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

I'm not even sure it's fact that Ortiz has supeiror plate numbers.

Stolen bases and runs scored arent plate numbers. OPS and RBI, the unimportant plate numbers. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Fact: Ortiz is beloved by most Red Sox fans.

Fact: Ortiz has great numbers -- HRs, RBIs, BA, XBH, OBP, OPS, runs produced.

Fact: Ellsbury has great numbers, especially for a leadoff guy -- the same categories as Ortiz plus SB.

Fact: For the respective roles on the team, their numbers are both great that it's idiotic to pit one against the other. Anyone doing so isn't a real fan or just wants to start trouble.

Fact: Ellsbury is popular with Sox fans.
    Opinion: I think Ortiz is more beloved because of 2004.

Fact: Ellsbury has played excellent CF.

Fact: Ortiz and Ellsbury are both having great years and as Red Sox fans we all should be enjoying it instead of finding ways to rip one or the other.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I'm not even sure it's fact that Ortiz has supeiror plate numbers. Stolen bases and runs scored arent plate numbers. OPS and RBI, the unimportant plate numbers. 
    Posted by S0ftl@w
    Why would you even think about using a thread about Big Papi as an excuse to bash Ells?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Ortiz on 2011 season: 'I'm a beast. I’m strong as hell.' : Why would you even think about using a thread about Big Papi as an excuse to bash Ells?
    Posted by carnie

Because Carnie: He's an a-z-zhole.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

royf19: I agree with everything you said ... except:
    Fact: Ortiz and Ellsbury are both having great years and as Red Sox fans we all should be enjoying it instead of finding ways to rip one or the other

I could quibble with this one.  They ARE both having great years and I AM enjoying it immensely.  I can find a way to use it to rip at least one poster though Tongue out

Last thought...  FACT: If anyone is a bigger fan favorite than Ortiz (a big if mind you) it is Pedroia, not Ellsbury.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

royf19: I agree with everything you said ... except: Fact: Ortiz and Ellsbury are both having great years and as Red Sox fans we all should be enjoying it instead of finding ways to rip one or the other I could quibble with this one.  They ARE both having great years and I AM enjoying it immensely.  I can find a way to use it to rip at least one poster though Last thought...  FACT: If anyone is a bigger fan favorite than Ortiz (a big if mind you) it is Pedroia, not Ellsbury.
    Posted by 111SoxFan111

About Pedey -- probably.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

First: 3/15/2009
    Last: 9/3/2011              

Beloved by more Red Sox fans is Fiction.

See 2009 and 2010 abuse, and Ortiz not mentioned at all in team MVP discussion
    Fact: Ortiz is beloved by most Red Sox fans.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

See fan abuse with Yaz after he hurt his wrist and his production fell off...
    See fan abuse with Ted Williams for flipping them off...

The only one who is color blind is you.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

AGon in San Diego, selling tickets. DiceK on DL in 2007. Harnut not color blind. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Ortiz is a proud individual, he might do anything necessary to restore order in his empire of pride.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Ortiz quotes show that he believes in himself despite the acerbic criticism from most Red Sox fans. Most Red Sox fans said Ortiz was washed up in 2009 and 2010, with one idiot using phrase "in serious steep career decline". That idiot happens to be a giddy Ellsbury minion. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ortiz is a proud individual, he might do anything necessary to restore order in his empire of pride.
    Posted by BurritoT

He's certainly doing what it takes when we need it. Gotta like his rising to the clutch again. He's always been the man. He deserves strong MVP consideration, but the fact that he DHs will weigh him down.

My vote would go like this:

1) Verlander
    2) Granderson
    3) AGon
    4) Papi
    5) Beckett
    6) Sabathia
    7) Ellsbury
    8) Shields
    9) Bautista
    10) Cabrera

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I was critical of him, thought it obvious Manny was his security blanket. AGON = security blanket.

I never accused any player of using lab juice to improve his game but I do wonder sometimes. It would be a mistake to assume our guys are diffrent from their guys. 

Anyhow I will try not to bring it up again, as it was only on my mind. Certainly hope it is not the case, and Ortix really is "all that."

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stormcrow7878. Show stormcrow7878's posts

I'm not even sure it's fact that Ortiz has supeiror plate numbers. Stolen bases and runs scored arent plate numbers. OPS and RBI, the unimportant plate numbers. 
    Posted by S0ftl@w

OPS & RBI are the IMPORTANT plate numbers or the UNIMPORTANT plate numbers? Your usual garbling of language made that very unclear. While OPS is an important stat, RBI's are very much out of the batters control, and more a function of how the guys ahead of him get on base and his spot in the lineup. Try to be a little more succinct next time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Tryy and be a little less dense, next time.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

AGon in San Diego, selling tickets. DiceK on DL in 2007. Harnut not color blind. 
    Posted by S0ftl@w

Dice wasn't on the DL in 2007?
    R U sure???

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Posted by BurritoT

One of UR dumbest statements, and that's saying something.
    A proud individual doesn't resort to cheating.
    Pathetic posters do.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Yeah okay Saint harness. I am sure Clemens is not a proud person, nor is Barry Bonds. 

Here's a novel idea, why don't you get some sleep.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Clemens/Bonds were mercenaries with no scruples.
    Here's a novel idea: try staying awake.
    Find a more creative reason to bash your favorite target...next to Wake...next to Tek...next to....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Fact: Ortiz is beloved by most Red Sox fans. Fact: Ortiz has great numbers -- HRs, RBIs, BA, XBH, OBP, OPS, runs produced. Fact: Ellsbury has great numbers, especially for a leadoff guy -- the same categories as Ortiz plus SB. Fact: For the respective roles on the team, their numbers are both great that it's idiotic to pit one against the other. Anyone doing so isn't a real fan or just wants to start trouble. Fact: Ellsbury is popular with Sox fans. Opinion: I think Ortiz is more beloved because of 2004. Fact: Ellsbury has played excellent CF. Fact: Ortiz and Ellsbury are both having great years and as Red Sox fans we all should be enjoying it instead of finding ways to rip one or the other.
    Posted by royf19

Fact:  Excellent post.

Fact:  We loves our Sox no matter what.  We celebrate with them when they are doing well and we empathize for them, root for them when they are not.

Good stuff, Roy.

Sections
Shortcuts