Ortiz on 2011 season: 'I'm a beast. I’m strong as hell.'

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: Ortiz on 2011 season: 'I'm a beast. I’m strong as hell.'

posted at 9/3/2011 8:31 PM EDT
    &plckUserId=aca09e7a27ca7c558f3262455790d1bf">
    First: 5/26/2008
    Last: 9/3/2011
    In Response to Re: Ortiz on 2011 season: 'I'm a beast. I’m strong as hell.':
    I'm not even sure it's fact that Ortiz has supeiror plate numbers. Stolen bases and runs scored arent plate numbers. OPS and RBI, the unimportant plate numbers. 
    Posted by S0ftl@w
    Why would you even think about using a thread about Big Papi as an excuse to bash Ells?
    We'll never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest
    class="Discussion_PostAddEnemy">Ignore carnie

posted at 9/3/2011 10:07 PM EDT
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=d2758c82b798a89af023f25f131a4bfb&plckUserId=d2758c82b798a89af023f25f131a4bfb">
    First: 10/16/2007
    Last: 9/4/2011
    Re: Ortiz on 2011 season: 'I'm a beast. I’m strong as hell.':
    In Response to Re: Ortiz on 2011 season: 'I'm a beast. I’m strong as hell.' : Why would you even think about using a thread about Big Papi as an excuse to bash Ells?
    Posted by carnie

Because Carnie: He's an a-z-zhole.

How about that?  He's getting two-fers.  :o)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Clemens/Bonds were mercenaries with no scruples. Here's a novel idea: try staying awake. Find a more creative reason to bash your favorite target...next to Wake...next to Tek...next to....
    Posted by harness

You are using hindsight in your opinion of Clemens and Bonds  Mr. Insomniac.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Tryy and be a little less dense, next time.
    Posted by S0ftl@w

= I can't respond to your post because you're right. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In Response to Ortiz on 2011 season: 'I'm a beast. I’m strong as hell.':
    It’s not the same for everybody. How many guys can play as many games as Cal Ripken played? There’s only one Cal Ripken. How many guys are going to get as many hits as Pete Rose got? There’s only one Pete Rose. “There’s always special people in this game. You can put it on the same page. Trust me, what I’m doing right now is something that I know I have the capacity to do it.”
    Posted by -EdithBunker-

Hold the phone a minute here!  I appreciate self-confidence and I believe that without it you're just another ballplayer.  I'm also as big a fan of Papi's as anyone and I appreciate what he's brought to this team.  I even think he was the best clutch hitter in baseball in '04 (not to take anything away from what he's done since), but....

He's putting himself in some pretty big shoes when he compares himself to two players who have the baseball stats to be in the HOF.  AND those two guys "played both sides of the ball". 

He may - or may not- be able to work his way into the Hall with his contribution as a DH, but that's what he is, is a DH.

I realize it's a contract year for you but, C'mon Papi, I appreciate your self-confidence and all, but a little public humility and perspective would serve you well. 

Disclaimer:  Cal Ripken is my favorite player ever!  Laughing 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from -*The-Babe*-. Show -*The-Babe*-'s posts

Amazing what a few milkshakes can do for you.........

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Like I said if he acted like that when Yaz or Ted were playing they would have frowned on it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyintheboogiedown. Show mikeyintheboogiedown's posts

Posted by -*The-Babe*-

I wonder--given Ortiz past if Ortiz had been wearing pinstripes if there would be many more people on this forum with suspicion about his resurgence in a contract year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Posted by -*The-Babe*-

Cheap shot, homer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Ortiz on 2011 season: 'I'm a beast. I’m strong as hell.' : I wonder--given Ortiz past if Ortiz had been wearing pinstripes if there would be many more people on this forum with suspicion about his resurgence in a contract year.
    Posted by mikeyintheboogiedown

Probably so.  And would the pinstripe fans be dismissing it as unsubstantiated sour grapes?  You bet they would.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyintheboogiedown. Show mikeyintheboogiedown's posts

In Response to Re: Ortiz on 2011 season: 'I'm a beast. I’m strong as hell.' : Probably so.  And would the pinstripe fans be dismissing it as unsubstantiated sour grapes?  You bet they would.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

I don't think to the extent that Sox fans do.....Ortiz wouldn't have been a member of an iconic Yankee team that ended an 86 year drought....a lot of denial and cheeks turning the other way here....not all but more Yankee fans would have owned it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Ortiz on 2011 season: 'I'm a beast. I’m strong as hell.' : One of UR dumbest statements, and that's saying something. A proud individual doesn't resort to cheating. Pathetic posters do.
    Posted by harness

Yes

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Ortiz on 2011 season: 'I'm a beast. I’m strong as hell.' : He's certainly doing what it takes when we need it. Gotta like his rising to the clutch again. He's always been the man . He deserves strong MVP consideration, but the fact that he DHs will weigh him down. My vote would go like this: 1) Verlander 2) Granderson 3) AGon 4) Papi 5) Beckett 6) Sabathia 7) Ellsbury 8) Shields 9) Bautista 10) Cabrera
    Posted by moonslav59

I would put AGon above Granderson, move Ells above Papi, and find a spot for Pedey.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Ortiz on 2011 season: 'I'm a beast. I’m strong as hell.' : Because Carnie : He's an a-z-zhole.
    Posted by harness

If Ellsbury won the GG, MVP, and hit .420 (ala Ty Cobb, who likely has a few things in common with our protagonist), Softy would still find a flaw.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Ortiz on 2011 season: 'I'm a beast. I’m strong as hell.' : Probably so.  And would the pinstripe fans be dismissing it as unsubstantiated sour grapes?  You bet they would.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

Spot on.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Ortiz on 2011 season: 'I'm a beast. I’m strong as hell.' : I wonder--given Ortiz past if Ortiz had been wearing pinstripes if there would be many more people on this forum with suspicion about his resurgence in a contract year.
    Posted by mikeyintheboogiedown

Probably so.  But then, how often do players have resurgent or career years in their final season of contracts?

But we haven't had to do the questioning, even though some have.  We have pinstriped visitors always bringing up the issue.  This OP author was a Sox fan I think, but the issue itself is never too far away from the keyboard strokes of some from the other side of the ancient antagonism.

It isn't as if the issue is foreign to a few former and present pinstriped guys. 

But I guess as long as you are talking about the other guy's horse using steroids you don't have to focus much on the fact that yours is being trained with them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

But I guess as long as you are talking about the other guy's horse using steroids you don't have to focus much on the fact that yours is being trained with them.
    Posted by SinceYaz

Very well put, SY.  :-)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Ortiz on 2011 season: 'I'm a beast. I’m strong as hell.' : Probably so.  But then, how often do players have resurgent or career years in their final season of contracts? But we haven't had to do the questioning, even though some have.  We have pinstriped visitors always bringing up the issue.  This OP author was a Sox fan I think, but the issue itself is never too far away from the keyboard strokes of some from the other side of the ancient antagonism. It isn't as if the issue is foreign to a few former and present pinstriped guys.  But I guess as long as you are talking about the other guy's horse using steroids you don't have to focus much on the fact that yours is being trained with them.
    Posted by SinceYaz

This is true for both sides; however, I don't like it when a RS player is clearly not cheating (Ellsbury), and is accused as well.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyintheboogiedown. Show mikeyintheboogiedown's posts

In Response to Re: Ortiz on 2011 season: 'I'm a beast. I’m strong as hell.' : Probably so.  But then, how often do players have resurgent or career years in their final season of contracts? But we haven't had to do the questioning, even though some have.  We have pinstriped visitors always bringing up the issue.  This OP author was a Sox fan I think, but the issue itself is never too far away from the keyboard strokes of some from the other side of the ancient antagonism. It isn't as if the issue is foreign to a few former and present pinstriped guys.  But I guess as long as you are talking about the other guy's horse using steroids you don't have to focus much on the fact that yours is being trained with them.
    Posted by SinceYaz

Good post.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Ortiz on 2011 season: 'I'm a beast. I’m strong as hell.' : Hold the phone a minute here!  I appreciate self-confidence and I believe that without it you're just another ballplayer.  I'm also as big a fan of Papi's as anyone and I appreciate what he's brought to this team.  I even think he was the best clutch hitter in baseball in '04 (not to take anything away from what he's done since), but.... He's putting himself in some pretty big shoes when he compares himself to two players who have the baseball stats to be in the HOF.  AND those two guys "played both sides of the ball".  He may - or may not- be able to work his way into the Hall with his contribution as a DH, but that's what he is, is a DH. I realize it's a contract year for you but, C'mon Papi, I appreciate your self-confidence and all, but a little public humility and perspective would serve you well.  Disclaimer:  Cal Ripken is my favorite player ever!   
    Posted by S5

S5,

After the treatment some gave him last year and the season before that, I have no problem with Big Papi standing up for himself.  The treatment on this board alone, from Red Sox - um - fans, was merciless.  It went way beyond the "thank you for all you've done, now please move on" sentiment.  It was nasty and brutal.  I found it to be the most crass treatment of a true Red Sox hero in my life as a Sox fan (since '62).  

The treatment was applied in every game I saw, too.  "Well, looks like Ortiz' days are done." - in one fashion or another.  Some of those talking heads were so sure he was finished that I find it galling to hear them talk about Papi in glowing terms now.

Papi's been a great Sox, was injured in one of the only places that really matters to a hitter - the supremely complex part of the hand that one needs to swing that big lumber.

He IS a great Sox.  Just because he is having some fun at the expense of his detractors now is nothing at all.

GO Big Papi!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I know a lot of people were writing Papi off in the spring of 2009 and 2010, but I don't think it was as bad as people make it out to be. I even said he was in severe decline vs LHPs and should be platooned vs most LHPs unless we didnt have anyone significantly better. I was wrong on that this year. However, I never said cut him, trade him, or don't take the option year as some did. One poster even said he should be demoted to AAA, and now the silly clown pretends he has been Papi's biggest supporter. It's the same silly clown that bashes players and GMs for over-valuing "career years" in contract years.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I know a lot of people were writing Papi off in the spring of 2009 and 2010, but I don't think it was as bad as people make it out to be. I even said he was in severe decline vs LHPs and should be platooned vs most LHPs unless we didnt have anyone significantly better. I was wrong on that this year. However, I never said cut him, trade him, or don't take the option year as some did. One poster even said he should be demoted to AAA, and now the silly clown pretends he has been Papi's biggest supporter. It's the same silly clown that bashes players and GMs for over-valuing "career years" in contract years.
    Posted by moonslav59
    To me there appear to be two differences in Ortiz year this year and the last two.

One big one of course is his better approach to LH pitchers, which he has acknowleged that being able to "talk shop" with a fellow big strong LH in A-Gon was helpful.

The other is that he avoided a slow start in 2011.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

poster even said he should be demoted to AAA,

No poster said that. An injury rehab in AAA is not a demotion, you idiot. You wanted him released, following Buster Olney.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Ortiz on 2011 season: 'I'm a beast. I’m strong as hell.' : You are using hindsight in your opinion of Clemens and Bonds  Mr. Insomniac.
    Posted by BurritoT

BS.  I said it at the time. Bonds/Clemens were mercenaries. I hope they both do time.

Papi continues to make you look foolish - not that he needs any help.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

moon if you tought he should be platooned and still re-signed at more than 10 million dollars you were not thinking very well. I said he needed to bat against all, hold the 6 spot (though 5 is obviously where he needs to be) and be the full-time DH.

You don't sign someone at 12 mill and platoon him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Am I the only one who noticed that Papi dropped some weight and appears in great shape? I loved it when he beat out his hit to third while they were all in their shift against him. lol  The fans were cheering him on, and he loved it. He was laughing and having a great time with his hollywood shades. Really fun.

I think he is a beast and strong as hell. I would hate for us to be watching him on another team right now after the team had traded him. I always believed that he would be doing what he's doing now -- and it's awesome.

Totally unrelated but, the cutest thing was when those two little boys sitting in the first row by the dugout stuck their hands out for Carl Crawford to slap after he hit his grand slam. So sweet that he took the time to slap hands with them, and then went on to the team to do the same. Sorry, but I just love those moments.