Ortiz out, Fielder in

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffh102082. Show jeffh102082's posts

Ortiz out, Fielder in

Next year hopefully

While i respect Ortiz and everything hes done, we need Fielder in our lineup long term and its not like we don't have the money....  He's younger and it'll be great too see him hit homeruns against his dads old team

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Re: Ortiz out, Fielder in

Lavarnway DH put the money saved somewhere else.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Papi is doing just fine..Why would u want to tie up 18mil+ for a DH?? makes no sense IMO..Thats 2 threads from you today that are pretty out there jeff..1st Paps and another player for Francoeur, now this...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Ortiz out, Fielder in:
    Next year hopefully While i respect Ortiz and everything hes done, we need Fielder in our lineup long term and its not like we don't have the money....  He's younger and it'll be great too see him hit homeruns against his dads old team
    Posted by jeffh102082

We won't be paying Fielder to be our DH, Papi will be back.  Theo is also trying to lock up Ells long term but I'm sure Boras has been an issue.  Lavarnway should be the back up catcher next season if he has a nice ST.  The only way Ryan gets time this season is if Tek or Salty get hurt and he can hit major league pitching well.

The only way I see Tek returning is if we carry three catchers next season, or Ryan ends up being packaged somewhere in a trade.  No doubt Tek can call a good game but that's not a good enough reason to hold this kid back from getting his chance.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

In Response to Ortiz out, Fielder in:
    Next year hopefully While i respect Ortiz and everything hes done, we need Fielder in our lineup long term and its not like we don't have the money....  He's younger and it'll be great too see him hit homeruns against his dads old team
    Posted by jeffh102082

First of all, it would be disrespect to not let Papi finish his career in a Sox Uni, and I doubt Ortiz is going to retire after this year, considering the numbers he is putting up. Once Ortiz is out the door after 2012 or 2013, Will Middlebrooks can take over at third and Youk can DH. Besides, if the Sox let Papi walk, NY would sign him, and with the 250 ft porch out there, Papi would hit 45 home runs a year.
     The Sox have 51 million coming off of the books next year, if they excerise Scutaro's contract option and decline Jenks' option (and they probably will do both). Up to 15 million for 3 years will go to Pap, so you have 36 million left. Which would you rather do: Sign Fielder for 8 years at 25 million a year to be your DH and trot out there with a rotation of Lester/Beckett/Buch/Lackey/Wake or Miller, or keep Papi for 2 years at 12 million a year and Grab C.C. Sabathia for 5 years at 120 million and yeild a rotation of C.C/Lester/Beckett/Buch/Lackey and use Miller in the pen to replace Jenks? Neither scenario is all that realistic, but I like scenario 2 better.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Ortiz out, Fielder in:
    In Response to Ortiz out, Fielder in :  First of all, it would be disrespect to not let Papi finish his career in a Sox Uni, and I doubt Ortiz is going to retire after this year, considering the numbers he is putting up. Once Ortiz is out the door after 2012 or 2013, Will Middlebrooks can take over at third and Youk can DH. Besides, if the Sox let Papi walk, NY would sign him, and with the 250 ft porch out there, Papi would hit 45 home runs a year.  The Sox have 51 million coming off of the books next year, if they excerise Scutaro's contract option and decline Jenks' option (and they probably will do both). Up to 15 million for 3 years will go to Pap, so you have 36 million left. Which would you rather do: Sign Fielder for 8 years at 25 million a year to be your DH and trot out there with a rotation of Lester/Beckett/Buch/Lackey/Wake or Miller, or keep Papi for 2 years at 12 million a year and Grab C.C. Sabathia for 5 years at 120 million and yeild a rotation of C.C/Lester/Beckett/Buch/Lackey and use Miller in the pen to replace Jenks? Neither scenario is all that realistic, but I like scenario 2 better.
    Posted by WE5NUTS

Niether will happen,
    Theo knows what our needs are and although one more SP could make our rotation the best in baseball, I don't see it being Sabathia.  It would crush the Yankees to lose CC to the Sox but Theo isn't going to pay 25mil for a long term pitcher who may have two or three big years left in his arsenal.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

When Papi can no longer help this team win, we don't need another DH who can't play the field....talk about a wasted roster spot.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from --------TheBabe. Show --------TheBabe's posts

In Response to Ortiz out, Fielder in :  First of all, it would be disrespect to not let Papi finish his career in a Sox Uni, and I doubt Ortiz is going to retire after this year, considering the numbers he is putting up. Once Ortiz is out the door after 2012 or 2013, Will Middlebrooks can take over at third and Youk can DH. Besides, if the Sox let Papi walk, NY would sign him, and with the 250 ft porch out there, Papi would hit 45 home runs a year.  The Sox have 51 million coming off of the books next year, if they excerise Scutaro's contract option and decline Jenks' option (and they probably will do both). Up to 15 million for 3 years will go to Pap, so you have 36 million left. Which would you rather do: Sign Fielder for 8 years at 25 million a year to be your DH and trot out there with a rotation of Lester/Beckett/Buch/Lackey/Wake or Miller, or keep Papi for 2 years at 12 million a year and Grab C.C. Sabathia for 5 years at 120 million and yeild a rotation of C.C/Lester/Beckett/Buch/Lackey and use Miller in the pen to replace Jenks? Neither scenario is all that realistic, but I like scenario 2 better.

Posted by WE5NUTS

Yes, cause the Yanks surely wouldn't top that offer......geez

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Too much fantasy baseball played by board contibutors. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Who says Fielder wants to DH? I doubt he does, and in order to "convince" him, you'd have to offer a heck of a lot more than $18M.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Ortiz out, Fielder in : Yes, cause the Yanks surely wouldn't top that offer......geez
    Posted by --------TheBabe

LOL...wow, 4 posts as of now babe? Got kicked off again I see.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Wow. Where to start? Who Prince's agent is, his projected contract value or the likihood with his body type that he eats his way out of baseball at 32, a process that could only be accelerated by limiting him to DH?

Every year on a contract is a gamble that the player will not suffer catastrophic injury or decline in performance. Players understand this and leverage the market for the most years at high $$$ they can. Fielder will be no different.

IMHO and I am sure the vast majority of posters will agree, this OP's thought is not even on the RS minds.

Sections
Shortcuts