Ortiz, Should he stay or should he go?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: Ortiz, Should he stay or should he go?

In Response to Re: Ortiz, Should he stay or should he go?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Ortiz, Should he stay or should he go? : He's gotta go now.  We need new DH in our lineup.  A young powerful slugger type who can bring energy to this club.  A true #4 hitter who has ability to hit 40+ HRs and bring in 110+ base runners.  Only one out there and he won't last long in the market.  I really hope we grab him before others do. 
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]
    There were only two players to hit 40 HR last year and only one player to drive in 110 and hit 40, Granderson.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

Signing him keeps him away from the Yanks. He would do serious damage there with the short porch in right at the Stadium.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

The Yankees are not interested in David Ortiz.  That's his dream, not theirs, especially on a multi-year deal!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Bring him back for 2 more years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Esta indecision me molesta

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]The Yankees are not interested in David Ortiz.  That's his dream, not theirs, especially on a multi-year deal!
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]If they're not interested, then Cashman isn't all he's cracked up to be. Big Papi might launch 50 bombs playing half his games at Yankee Stadium.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

But Cashman needs to spend money on pitching, and he has Montero, ARod, and Jeter all due to spend time at DH.  Ortiz cannot hit 50 bombs playing in a platoon.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]But Cashman needs to spend money on pitching, and he has Montero, ARod, and Jeter all due to spend time at DH.  Ortiz cannot hit 50 bombs playing in a platoon.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]Those are good points. The Yanks are definitely looking at a few people who should spend some time at DH, but there are no better DHs than David Ortiz, and that's been true for awhile. And here is where I confess my bias, I really want to see Big Papi retire in the home whites.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Should this really boil down to where he retires? No. It can't be about what he has meant to the team. He can't keep getting paid for past heorics. This has to be about keeping him because he can produce like Papi of old(heroics are long gone I think) or getting someone else in who can spell other guys by playing the field and running out ground balls. Offering him a 3 yr. deal is insanity. Offering him a 2yr. deal hurts the team. Offering him a 1yr. deal at a reduced rate: perfect.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

I hate to say it but he should either agree to $5-7M per year/two years or go. It's NOT his bat I'm worried about, it's his mouth.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3963946. Show user_3963946's posts

I think Papi should go. Though he is a very good player but he's on decline considering his age and if the sox want to invest in a long term power hitting DH then they should sign Fielder. He and Agon will surely on of the best 3-4 tandem in baseball. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Ok, let's stick to the facts then. Ortiz had one homer in September and just a few hits. He was terrible after the all star break. Tito kept him in the line up during his hitless streaks, and there are reports that Ortiz ignored tito's requests to skip the home run derby, two years in a row. Down the stretch Ortiz was unable to produce, and not able to lift the team. Ortiz went 1 for 13 his last post season appearance.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

If you're going to stick to the facts, then how about some facts. The only correct fact you had was that he had just one HR in September. And I'll had another fact that's more important. He had just eight RBIs in the final month. Like a lot of the team, he had struggled with clutch hits that last month -- there's no doubt about it. You should have quit while you were ahead.

Terrible after the All-Star break?

Ortiz's splits:
    First half: 87 G, 19 HR, 55 RBI, .304 BA, .965 OPS
    2nd half:  59 G, 10 HR, 41 RBI, .315 BA, .936 OPS

Gee -- everybody should be so terrible.

He batted .411 in August (2nd half of the season) with 8 HR, 20 RBIs. In July, although he batted just .253 (low but respectable) with just three homers, he still had 20 RBIs (anything over 15 RBIs in a month is a great month). Even in September when his production was down, he batted a solid .287.

Tito kept him in the lineup during hitless streaks? Really? When? Exactly when was it during the season was Ortiz slumping bad enough that he should have been sat down?

Ortiz's longest stretch w/o a hit, excluding the NL road games when he was mostly a PH, was three games and he had that stretch just twice -- mid-April and late July.

And what reports that Tito wanted him to skip the HR Derby? That's not a fact -- it's called a rumor.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

Give me one DH that's as good as Ortiz?

You gotta resign him to a 2 year deal, and get pap back too. Their just to consistant to let go and whenever you think their done, they come back again.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Ortiz had a great season last year! I'm frankly amazed that so many here seem to want to send him packing. So he mouthed off once and now he's a bad clubhouse guy? PULEEEZE! Sign him to a 2 yr $20 million deal, (plus incentives), and be done with it already! I think a deal will get done before Thanksgiving allowing the Papster to eat his turkey in peace. We have waaaay too many needs to address on this team folks. The money we'll save getting this .300  hitting 30 homer Red Sox hero under contract, vs. spending more for probably less talent, can be used elsewhere. This is a must sign player and Cherington would be wise not to dawdle on it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

30HRS   100 RBI  and   40 doubles  and  you'd  just   dump him ?

I see someone asking for a young slugger   hitting  40 hr and 110  RBI  -- many of those around?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Is it not possible to get someone who can field(spell other players), play DH, and run (out ground balls)? Where was Papi's leadership when the team needed him the most? Complaining about Rbi's. And to say this team has too much drama. Was he not a big part of the drama?

Don't get me wrong, Papi is a boston cult hero. Loved for his past heroics. But those heroics I believe have passed him by. His numbers were nice this year, but were they game changers? I am sure some numbers person will inform me.

Let him see what his value is on the open market. He is 36. Can't run. Can't field. No team will match what he was earning on the Sox will they? It might be time to take a paycut to help this drama team big Papi or good luck elsewhere.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]Ortiz's popularity is already fading. His restaurant west of the city closed a month or so ago. New York will not sign him. I doubt if there is much interest in the once clutch slugger.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]Then he will be back. The RS issue IMO is $$$ and years not his viability in a vacuum.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ortiz, Should he stay or should he go? : There are not many players in baseball who consistently put up those numbers.  In fact, there are none. But guys like Fielder and Pujols are going to be beyond the Sox price range. They have a spedning limit, even if you do not.  However, if you dial it back a bit and look for a DH who can hit 30HRs and drive in 100RBI, there might be a good one available. His name is David Ortiz...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]
    I understand your point, but to be precise the nearly 36-year-old Ortiz has fallen short of those milestones in three of the past four seasons (sometimes by narrow margins).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gready. Show Gready's posts

I say he goes.  $12 million for a DH in this day and age isn't worth it.  Ortiz is a slugger who strikes out too much, cannot run, cannot field.  If he wants to come back for $5 million plus incentives, go for it.  No top flight team will want him.  Does he want to play for the Royals next year?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]There is no way Ortiz will get a three year contract. Please wake up and get a clue
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

You offer a three year deal for luxury-tax reasons, with the intention of executing the cheap buyout.  If you still need his bat on that third year, great - if not, you've created some payroll flexibility.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

I love Ortiz. He is the best hitting Dh in the league BUT he doesnt run out grounders which really bothers me. He clogs up the bases although i guess he is not the only one. I believe he does make it difficult for anyone else to take a leader ship role , which is despertley needed. i dont think he is worth more than 2/15 and would much prefer 1 year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

He is still productive. Should stay, with a reasonable contract. Same with Papelbon.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

Russian Roulette if you sign him in terms of his age and injuries. Why not get younger and more healthy? The team should move away from both long-term contracts (over 4 years) and old players (over 35). 

Now that being said if Papi wants to come back for lets say 5 mill. for one year why not.

Sections
Shortcuts