Ortiz, Should he stay or should he go?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from freddym48. Show freddym48's posts

Ortiz, Should he stay or should he go?

Time for the mood swing we call Big Papi to head into the sunset.  Thanks for everything Big Papi.  You gotta go

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: Ortiz, Should he stay or should he go?

In Response to Ortiz, Should he stay or should he go?:
    Time for the mood swing we call Big Papi to head into the sunset.  Thanks for everything Big Papi.  You gotta go
    Posted by freddym48

He's gotta go now.  We need new DH in our lineup.  A young powerful slugger type who can bring energy to this club.  A true #4 hitter who has ability to hit 40+ HRs and bring in 110+ base runners.  Only one out there and he won't last long in the market.  I really hope we grab him before others do. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gclef. Show gclef's posts

he should go. time to close this chapter and the only way to do that is to get rid of the extra baggage. ortiz was not a factor this season. if the sox keep him he'll be less of a factor next year. the problem for ortiz is no other teams want him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

well you know what they say. opinions are just like buttholes, everybody's got one. I think Papi still has enough left in the tank for two more years. now, if he had a lousy season this year I would have agreed with you guys. however, his numbers were pretty good. management has some decisions to make for sure. as for tek and wake? thanks for the memories.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

This is a tough call. three seasons ago, it was a given, Ortiz was a good as gone. Two slow starts, and a team option later, it's a dilemma. depends what can be worked out. If Ortiz will accept a reasonable 2 year offer, he stays. If not, he goes

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

The economic benefits are much greater to the team if he is allowed to leave.  They get two draft picks and likely a RH DH replacement for cheaper (if you go with Lavarnway, it is much, much cheaper).  More money to spend on fixing the pitching.

But not if you go out and try to sign Fielder.  That makes no sense to me.  DH is not a position you throw 20+ million a year at, IMO.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In Response to Re: Ortiz, Should he stay or should he go?:
    The economic benefits are much greater to the team if he is allowed to leave.  They get two draft picks and likely a RH DH replacement for cheaper (if you go with Lavarnway, it is much, much cheaper).  More money to spend on fixing the pitching. But not if you go out and try to sign Fielder.  That makes no sense to me.  DH is not a position you throw 20+ million a year at, IMO.
    Posted by parhunter1

It's matter of the value not the position one plays.  Do you think Fielder has value in his defense ability?  He's getting all that money because he can hit HRs produce runs.  He's born to be a DH and there is nothing nonsense with him getting over 20 mil a yr as DH.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

Posted by freddym48

Everyone from the organization who has spoken to date has agreed unanimously on one thing--that this team desperately needs clubhouse leadership. Whether it's veteran players like Pedroia, Gonzales or Crawford looking to step up and take a more prominent leadership role, or signing players with character from the outside and bringing them in to lead, one thing is certain; nobody is going to be successful in becoming a leader on this team as long as Ortiz, Varitek, or Wakefield is still around. Ortiz believes he is Red Sox 'royalty,' while the other two feel entitled to life-long contracts based solely on years of service. 

The old saying about being unable to "Teach an old dog new tricks," applies here. The simple presence of any of the three will pevent any player from taking a vocal leadership role on this team. And the fact that Henry, Werner, Luchhino, Epstein, and now Cherington, doesn't get this speaks volumes about how in tune they are with what's going on in the clubhouse.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

In Response to Ortiz, Should he stay or should he go? : Everyone from the organization who has spoken to date has agreed unanimously on one thing--that this team desperately needs clubhouse leadership. Whether it's veteran players like Pedroia, Gonzales or Crawford looking to step up and take a more prominent leadership role, or signing players with character from the outside and bringing them in to lead, one thing is certain; nobody is going to be successful in becoming a leader on this team as long as Ortiz, Varitek, or Wakefield is still around. Ortiz believes he is Red Sox 'royalty,' while the other two feel entitled to life-long contracts based solely on years of service.  The old saying about being unable to "Teach an old dog new tricks," applies here. The simple presence of any of the three will pevent any player from taking a vocal leadership role on this team. And the fact that Henry, Werner, Luchhino, Epstein, and now Cherington, doesn't get speaks volumes about how in tune they are with what's going on in the clubhouse.
    Posted by greenapplesplatters

We thank you for your sincere concern. Have a good day.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Posted by freddym48

Papi holds his own cards, he can either take what we offer or move on.  I would give him another two years "plus a 3rd year team option" if he doesn't want to settle on year to year.  I think this is the year you could see the majority of the elders on this team leave and the team begin to rebuild around Adrian, Aviles, Pede, Lav, CC and hopefully Jacoby.  I'm not even sure Youk will be back but I hope he is.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

20+ for someone who hits and doesn't field is not great value.  But it is mostly impossible to carry on a roster that already has two hitters in the lineup making that kind of money.  Especially when the real need of the team is pitching!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

In Response to Ortiz, Should he stay or should he go? : Papi holds his own cards, he can either take what we offer or move on.  I would give him another two years "plus a 3rd year team option" if he doesn't want to settle on year to year.  I think this is the year you could see the majority of the elders on this team leave and the team begin to rebuild around Adrian, Aviles, Pede, Lav, CC and hopefully Jacoby.  I'm not even sure Youk will be back but I hope he is.
    Posted by craze4sox

As much as I'd like to see them move on from Youkilis, I'm not sure they can. He's gotten old very quickly and has missed over 120 games the past two seasons due to injuries. Add to that his age, his coming off surgery, and the fact that he's a bonafide clubhouse cancer, and he really doesn't have too much value in the trade market. For better or for worse, they're pretty much stuck with him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

In Response to Re: Ortiz, Should he stay or should he go? : As much as I'd like to see them move on from Youkilis, I'm not sure they can. He's gotten old very quickly and has missed over 120 games the past two seasons due to injuries. Add to that his age, his coming off surgery, and the fact that he's a bonafide clubhouse cancer, and he really doesn't have too much value in the trade market. For better or for worse, they're pretty much stuck with him.

concern-troll.jpg

Posted by greenapplesplatters

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

If Papi will take a little pride/pay cut to finish his career in the home whites, no question.  Ink him.  A non-factor last year?  SERIOUSLY?  C'mon my peoples.  He was a beast.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Ortiz, Should he stay or should he go? : He's gotta go now.  We need new DH in our lineup.  A young powerful slugger type who can bring energy to this club.  A true #4 hitter who has ability to hit 40+ HRs and bring in 110+ base runners.  Only one out there and he won't last long in the market.  I really hope we grab him before others do. 
    Posted by seannybboi

There are not many players in baseball who consistently put up those numbers.  In fact, there are none.

But guys like Fielder and Pujols are going to be beyond the Sox price range. They have a spedning limit, even if you do not. 

However, if you dial it back a bit and look for a DH who can hit 30HRs and drive in 100RBI, there might be a good one available.

His name is David Ortiz...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Ortiz, Should he stay or should he go? : Papi holds his own cards, he can either take what we offer or move on.  I would give him another two years "plus a 3rd year team option" if he doesn't want to settle on year to year.  I think this is the year you could see the majority of the elders on this team leave and the team begin to rebuild around Adrian, Aviles, Pede, Lav, CC and hopefully Jacoby.  I'm not even sure Youk will be back but I hope he is.
    Posted by craze4sox

Did you seriously include Mike Aviles on a list of building block?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

well you know what they say. opinions are just like buttholes, everybody's got one. I think Papi still has enough left in the tank for two more years. now, if he had a lousy season this year I would have agreed with you guys. however, his numbers were pretty good. management has some decisions to make for sure. as for tek and wake? thanks for the memories.
    Posted by Hammah29r2

LOL Hammah but the concern trolls have two buttholes.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

If Papi will take a little pride/pay cut to finish his career in the home whites, no question.  Ink him.  A non-factor last year?  SERIOUSLY?  C'mon my peoples.  He was a beast.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Papi would be missed Spaceman and I totally agree.  Having a lineup without the big guy would take time to recover from.  With our past signings and present needs for pitching we won't be seeing names like Prince or Albert floating around Boston either. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

Spaceman is a true fan. Me thinks that most of the others work for the Globe and are attempting to improve revenue or else they are Internet trolls.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

At one time he was the only DH that mattered.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I like the idea of letting Papi test the market and hope he gets no big offers that he accepts.  His value is limited to the AL and the only team I think might give him a serious offer would be the Angels.  That said...if he walks I like the idea of a rotating DH that can be used to rest the regulars but not lose their bat in the lineup.  The Sox could bring in a true right-handed hitter to help the lineup and play RF with the money saved from Papi's walking.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Unless he is willing to take a 1year 8m deal, with a club option for 10m 2nd year with a 1m buyout/farewell bonus then see ya.  He is too much of a roster flexibility anchor.  We need the ability to park agon, youk, peddy, crawford, or even jake there for a few games if they are hurting.  Lavarnway and the others above can cover the spot.  Use the $ on RF, and pitching, and trade for more of the same.  Youk can be made available.  reddick, lars anderson, bowden, etc.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I give him a 3-year contract with a cheap club buyout the third.  If he walks, nobody comes in and replaces his bat right away - Lavarnway has a chance in a couple of years, but best case scenario, Lavarnway's behind the plate anyway.  A 3-year contract gives Ortiz 'respect' but the cheap club buyout gives the Sox flexibility. $25M, $2M buyout - we'll actually cut $4M off the CBT.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts