Ortiz shut down.

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Ortiz shut down.

Time for plan B

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I had a feeling it was going to turn out to be in issue with inflamation since I had a similar experience.

This makes me once again question the competence of the Red Sox conditioning and training people. Perhaps they need a few lessons from my personal trainer. She certainly knows how to deal with this type of thing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

and this is why you dont build your offense around a mid thirties DH who is getting to the end of his career who is coming off a significant injury, but hey we dont need justin upton. not at all when we have ortiz hitting clean up. Now the only thing he will be hitting is the DL.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

At least he doesn't have to go through the motions of quitting on the team this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

and this is why you dont build your offense around a mid thirties DH who is getting to the end of his career who is coming off a significant injury, but hey we dont need justin upton. not at all when we have ortiz hitting clean up. Now the only thing he will be hitting is the DL.

our team is built around him?? i thought it was built around our future crop of prospects and our existing premium talent (Pedey, buch, Lester)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

we only have 1 potential middle of the order bat in boegarts in th minors, so banking on him and middlebrooks to be our future 3/4 hitters is awefully risky. Justin upton made all the sense in the world and yet we didnt even try to get him. He filled 3 needs at once, and is young to boot. There was no reason for the sox to not go after him, we are not a small market team who strives to develop a team full of prospects. We need proven players to go with the guys we develop. The sox fo has been incompetent for years and even with theo gone is still making mistakes left, right and center. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to prknsdnld's comment:

In response to msobstinate99's comment:

Nothing a Domican Milkshake can't cure.....

They don't seem to be helping the Yankees star with his hip.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

It is amazing that the Sox gave Papi this 2 yr deal knowing the seriousness of this injury!!!

STUNNING!  I hope the PR was worth the $26 million???

Oh!  They didn't know you say?  How could they know, you ask?

If they didn't, SHAME ON THEM!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

we only have 1 potential middle of the order bat in boegarts in th minors, so banking on him and middlebrooks to be our future 3/4 hitters is awefully risky. Justin upton made all the sense in the world and yet we didnt even try to get him. He filled 3 needs at once, and is young to boot. There was no reason for the sox to not go after him, we are not a small market team who strives to develop a team full of prospects. We need proven players to go with the guys we develop. The sox fo has been incompetent for years and even with theo gone is still making mistakes left, right and center. 

Justin Upton had a "no trade clause" to Boston in his contract and has since said he wouldn't have waived it to come here, but don't let those pesky facts get in the way.  I can't believe the front office didn't trade for Mike Trout and Giancarlo Stanton to be the 3/4 hitters, either...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Update:

Ortiz shut down for 5-7 days

Sunday, March 10, 2013 -- Mark J Murphy

PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. — John Farrell said today that David Ortiz will be shut down for 5-7 days after an MRI revealed that he has inflammation in both heels.

Farrell, speaking after the Sox game against the Tampa Bay Rays here, said that the inflammation is unrelated to the Achilles injury from which Ortiz has been rehabbing. Nevertheless, the setback likely means that Ortiz will not be ready by Opening Day.

Ortiz, who is feeling the pain most acutely in his right heel, will be re-evaluated in a week or so. It's important to note that the 5-7 days are just a starting point; he could easily be out longer.

"We got the MRI results back," Farrell said. "It does reveal some inflammation in the bony area of the heel. He's dealing with that. That's where the discomfort is being felt. As a result, we're going to shut him down for a few days here to let that quiet down completely before we start to initiate any kind of baseball activities after that."

While Ortiz has some inflammation in both heels, he's mainly dealing with problems in the right heel, Farrell said.

"We feel like progress is being in made," Farrell said. "There's no doubt about that. But he's dealing with an issue that we've got to give it time to clear up."

As for Ortiz's potential readiness on Opening Day, Farrell is a realist.

"I mean, we're three weeks away," he said. "He's going to need at-bats. While we're not foregoing Opening Day right now, we're starting to get into an area where, depending on how many days we need to shut him down, that's going to have a direct bearing on where we are coming opening day."

Blog:   Clubhouse Insider   [1] Author(s):  John Tomase Media:    090712soxcs26.jpg [2]  Sunday,h 10, 2013 Tags Entity:  David Orti

How come his ankle was fine before the two year contract? Time to let him go...This will be a season long.... How is big Papi doing.. how is his ankle......Will he play today ??? All a big show for another money hungry ball player.  I would release him now and then see how his ankle feels.... Ortiz thinks he's owed millions and is now collecting....The big waste.... Get back on the millshake and play ball.... Then again we owe him.... He will tell you that. Dump him and shove his ankle up his slow fat AZZ.What a way to exit......Thanks fat sloppy

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I've been out of town (MEXICO)  what happened ????????

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

who's to say we didn't make an offer on J Upton anyway??

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

he was signed as a pr move...the one lone link to the 2004 Glory year....the time to let him walk wasnt last off season, it was the year or two before when we had Vmart/Beltre who couldve easily done his job....

i hope some of you apologists will have the courage to apologize to Bill for for his 100% correct call on papi..

what was that recent thread called, Oh no Bill, papi is getting hea;thy??? LOLOL

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

he was signed as a pr move...the one lone link to the 2004 Glory year....the time to let him walk wasnt last off season, it was the year or two before when we had Vmart/Beltre who couldve easily done his job....

i hope some of you apologists will have the courage to apologize to Bill for for his 100% correct call on papi..

what was that recent thread called, Oh no Bill, papi is getting hea;thy??? LOLOL

Or shucks Gerome,  I think that you are expecting too much from some of these  T-BALLERS ........  Their behavior today reached an all time LOW lib/left/rad/soc/moonbat state........  Never letting the FACTS as they were laid out make any difference at all.   Howevaa, being the strong person that my DAD made me, I will rise above and continue to call my Red Sox as I see them....  I still have hope that they will win it all this year !!!!

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

Update:

Ortiz shut down for 5-7 days

Sunday, March 10, 2013 -- Mark J Murphy

PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. — John Farrell said today that David Ortiz will be shut down for 5-7 days after an MRI revealed that he has inflammation in both heels.

Farrell, speaking after the Sox game against the Tampa Bay Rays here, said that the inflammation is unrelated to the Achilles injury from which Ortiz has been rehabbing. Nevertheless, the setback likely means that Ortiz will not be ready by Opening Day.

Ortiz, who is feeling the pain most acutely in his right heel, will be re-evaluated in a week or so. It's important to note that the 5-7 days are just a starting point; he could easily be out longer.

"We got the MRI results back," Farrell said. "It does reveal some inflammation in the bony area of the heel. He's dealing with that. That's where the discomfort is being felt. As a result, we're going to shut him down for a few days here to let that quiet down completely before we start to initiate any kind of baseball activities after that."

While Ortiz has some inflammation in both heels, he's mainly dealing with problems in the right heel, Farrell said.

"We feel like progress is being in made," Farrell said. "There's no doubt about that. But he's dealing with an issue that we've got to give it time to clear up."

As for Ortiz's potential readiness on Opening Day, Farrell is a realist.

"I mean, we're three weeks away," he said. "He's going to need at-bats. While we're not foregoing Opening Day right now, we're starting to get into an area where, depending on how many days we need to shut him down, that's going to have a direct bearing on where we are coming opening day."

Blog:   Clubhouse Insider   [1] Author(s):  John Tomase Media:    090712soxcs26.jpg [2]  Sunday,h 10, 2013 Tags Entity:  David Orti

How come his ankle was fine before the two year contract? Time to let him go...This will be a season long.... How is big Papi doing.. how is his ankle......Will he play today ??? All a big show for another money hungry ball player.  I would release him now and then see how his ankle feels.... Ortiz thinks he's owed millions and is now collecting....The big waste.... Get back on the millshake and play ball.... Then again we owe him.... He will tell you that. Dump him and shove his ankle up his slow fat AZZ.What a way to exit......Thanks fat sloppy

My guess is that his heels were fine when the contract was signed because he wasn't exerting himself physically. I am willing to bet more than ever that he didn't do any serious rehab during the off season. If he had..then this issue would have come to surface before he reported to spring training. It is the nature of the beast so to speak.

I stil think we'll see Ortiz..just not for a few weeks.

Of course..the other side is..it's just some pockets of inflammation. Sure it's giving him  some discomfort..but if he were motivated..maybe he'd play through the pain...

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

I've been out of town (MEXICO)  what happened ????????

Bill, "Nothing good ever comes out of Mexico."

So Bill was finally right about ONE THING!  His coming out of Mexico can not be a good thing!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

I'll apologize to the board clown when you admit Bobby Valentine was the worst manager in Red Sox history. :-)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

All teams have injuries. All fans decry them.  Sox fans are unique in that we blame the injured athlete. Ortiz suffered a legitimate injury. It takes time to heal , sometimes more time than we like.  Patience is a virtue . Don't overreact to everything.  Ortiz has a special place in Red Sox history.  He should not be denigrated 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

All teams have injuries. All fans decry them.  Sox fans are unique in that we blame the injured athlete. Ortiz suffered a legitimate injury. It takes time to heal , sometimes more time than we like.  Patience is a virtue . Don't overreact to everything.  Ortiz has a special place in Red Sox history.  He should not be denigrated 

Well said.

Sections
Shortcuts