Ortiz signs two year deal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoSoxfan56. Show BoSoxfan56's posts

Ortiz signs two year deal

Sean McAdam reporting Sox and Ortiz have reached a deal:

David Ortiz has reached agreement with the Red Sox on a two-year, $26 million contract with incentives that could raise the value of the deal to $30 million.

http://www.csnne.com/baseball-boston-redsox/redsox-talk/Update-Ortiz-signs-two-year-deal-with-Re?blockID=797075&feedID=10948

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Ortiz signs two year deal

good to hear...now lets go get some pitchers

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Let's hope he EARNS every cent of those incentives!!!!!!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

Not bad numbers, lets just hope he stays  healthy and lives up to them.  Still lots of money left to get more.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Good news and job by BC. Next up, Ross

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Ortiz is a Sox icon. He should be able to finish his career in Boston.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

It took longer than it should of,but I'm glad it's finally done.Now that Ortiz is signed,on to other business,the Sox have a lot of needs to fill this winter. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ortiz is a Sox icon. He should be able to finish his career in Boston.

[/QUOTE]
    I said something similar on another thread.  Ortiz is attending the Celtics game tonight.  They showed him in the front row.  Unfortunately, the Celtics are losing again. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Good move for the Sox.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Good Deal, Lets Get Another Big Bat, And Some Pitching, We Will Play Ball In October 13....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

A good deal for both sides.  Ortiz can retire as a Red Sox. 

Hey Ortiz, stay healthy!!!  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Papi had walked, softy would have called Ben a racist.

We could have gotten Papi for less, but I didn't hear softy and others complaining when we handed Schil $8M for a lost year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We could have gotten Papi for less, but I didn't hear softy and others complaining when we handed Schil $8M for a lost year.

[/QUOTE]

Moon-  I wouldn't have like it one twit had Papi signed with the Yankees; he should finish his career in Boston.  However, I think one year and a team option for a second wold have been better.  Still, the contract is sealed so we all hope he stays healthy for two seasons and gives s the production that he did last year before he went down.  We cannot afford him to go down again.  He must get in shape, stay in shape and produce.  Then our hitting attack should be stronger if the rest of the crew stays in one piece.  Now let's get some pitching.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Great news - Papi is still excellent and he needs to retire in a Sox uni.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

And hear everyone thought Ben was cheap for not offering 2yrs/$25 mill, and they settled higher than that.  Makes you wonder what it is Ortiz was asking for, and whether or not Ben was still cheap for not rushing to meet it...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

A FanGraphs analysis of David Ortiz:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/david-ortiz-red-sox-renew-vows/#more-104326

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

It seems like a good deal for both sides.  Short contract in length and the money is not crazy for someone like Ortiz who is still our best power hitter.  The only question is can he remain healthy for the 2 years.  For the production Ortiz has given the Sox I would say its worth the risk to give him the years and retire as a Sox.  Good job BC.  Now onto other business.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ben gets an A+ for getting this deal done. Although some of you for some reason werent happy that it wasnt completed earlier, the bottom line is it got done and both sides are happy with the end result.

13M will hardly effect this payroll even if Papi struggles, which I dont think he will. Time to move to the next deal. Ross?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The incompetent Cherry just got bluffed into bidding against himself on what will be an embarrassing 2 year deal that is at least 10 million or more over any written offer sheet.

Ortiz will never be fully appreciated, but there was no need for this. Ortiz has little chance of surviving a full single season with the kind of year long production that 13M base requires to produce value. He has no realistic chance of surviving 2 full seasons.

I don't mind Ortiz getting his golden parachute, but not when it saps up that much payroll over 2 seasons. He's too old and his injury history is quite serious.

[/QUOTE]

It's an overpay, but I think he'd have gotten about $18M/2.  We had holes and money to spend.  It's not the worst idea in the world to close a few of the holes to concentrate on other needs.  We're by a few million, so consider it a goodwill investment.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

It's an overpay, but I think he'd have gotten about $18M/2.  We had holes and money to spend.  It's not the worst idea in the world to close a few of the holes to concentrate on other needs.  We're by a few million, so consider it a goodwill investment.  Joe B.

I don't think it is a large overpay, if he stays healthy.   As the fangraphs article states he has been the 6th best hitter MLB wRC+ for 2011-12.  FanGraphs’ own calculations put Ortiz as having been worth $32 million the last two years, and in one of those years he played just 90 games. 

Of course it is past performance, but he adds a big chunk of marketing value that few can match.  Not to mention,  Henry had room to spare in the budget and I doubt he is going to spend anywhere near last year's figure.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

Moon-  I wouldn't have like it one twit had Papi signed with the Yankees; he should finish his career in Boston.  However, I think one year and a team option for a second wold have been better.  Still, the contract is sealed so we all hope he stays healthy for two seasons and gives s the production that he did last year before he went down.  We cannot afford him to go down again.  He must get in shape, stay in shape and produce.  Then our hitting attack should be stronger if the rest of the crew stays in one piece.  Now let's get some pitching.

It would not have upset me had Papi signed with the yanks for more than what Ben gave him. It would have prevented them from getting a pitcher, and kept ARod at 3B  and Jeter at SS FT.

He would not have gone to NY. He would have gone to Texas or Baltimore, and yes softy, he'd have gotten 2 year market offers- maybe not quite as high as the Sox went, but close enough to justify the "Sox Legend" bonus such as we gave Schill his last year here.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Good to hear that this deal is done.   It's a very good deal for Papi, and a fair enough deal for the Red Sox.  While the Sox probably could have gotten Papi for less, I don't think it would have been in the team's best interest to play hardball with Papi, for many reasons.

The team has the financial flexibility to be able to afford this contract this offseason, and they won't be strapped if Papi does not perform up to par.  If he does perform up to par, it's a great deal all around.

And now the FO can focus on other areas of need.  So far in this early offseason, so good.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

To me, the large money only matters if the deal keeps us from signbing or trading for top quality pitching and a younger multiple team controlled big RH'd bat.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Ortiz will not be overly productive if he is the "go to" guy in the batting order. 

Sections
Shortcuts