Ortiz signs two year deal

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Ortiz signs two year deal

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It is very clear that Papi is not even close to the same player "when it counts" as he was from 2004-2007.  One would expect regression with age, but the regression is by much more than his overall number regression. Much much more.

[/QUOTE]

But who says late and close performance is that much more important than early game performance?  All the runs count.  As far as I know the Sabermetric analysts argue against the existence of clutch performers vs. non-clutch performers.  Papi had an incredible run with the late-game heroics.  As I say I think the law of averages might have gotten him. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We could have gotten Papi for less

Correct, even though you are incompetent for claiming "he would have gotten 2 years and 18M offer". No floggin way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cherry gets an F on this absurd overpay. Ortiz's golden parachute should not have been more than a 13.3M plus a team option and 2M buyout. The qualifying offer preceded what should have been the final offer of 13.3M plus 2M or total 15.3M plus gauarantee. Ortiz would have had no offer sheet of 2 year market base and would have had no choice but accept the market.

Ortiz, due to age and injury history, has a team performance value of no more than about 5 to 7M for 2013, and less than that for 2014. Thae 15.3M is a 8 to 10M golden parachute for a player who is in big trouble on the season long athletic fitness scale.

The only good news is that Ortiz won't reach the point where he's begging, after being washed up, like Wastefield and Varitek.

Ortiz has no chance of producing at a high level over 2 full seasons, and it's dubious that he can perform over a full season for 2013.

My hope is that Ortiz will retire by the end of 2013, as I fear a very embarrassing ending to his run with the Red Sox. Red Sox management is now painted in a corner where they will have a hard time pulling the plug on Ortiz's roster spot. Mike Lowell's ending was a terrible embarrassment that was damaging to the team performance. I hope an ugly ending like that, with management in a delusional state, doesn't take place with another veteran player.

Without a doubt, Cherry showed his incompetence and delusional state of mind on this contract offer. His defense of Crawford was pathetic. Much easier to defend this clumsy move, but it won't take long for this move to be exposed. The honeymoon won't last long, just as the manager musical chairs won't be popular for long. 

In the end, Cherry will need to be fired. 

[/QUOTE]

Your just mad because there was indeed a 2 year market for papi like I said there would be. Call it a bluff if it makes you fell better, but we all know the truth.

If theres even one other team willing to pay him 2 years, that qualifies as a market. Texas knew what papi was looking for and with hamilton and Napoli leaving, They wouldve been willing to go at least 2/24 with him. I also believe if Papi actually went into the FA market, the O's and possibly the Jays would have made 2 year offers as well for obvious reasons. All 3 have the $$ and a need...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It is very clear that Papi is not even close to the same player "when it counts" as he was from 2004-2007.  One would expect regression with age, but the regression is by much more than his overall number regression. Much much more.

[/QUOTE]

But who says late and close performance is that much more important than early game performance?  All the runs count.  As far as I know the Sabermetric analysts argue against the existence of clutch performers vs. non-clutch performers.  Papi had an incredible run with the late-game heroics.  As I say I think the law of averages might have gotten him. 

[/QUOTE]

No where have I said early game performance does not count.

I was for bringing Papi back.

I just was pointing out one area he has seriously dropped off. Not having Manny is certainly a contributing factor, but the fact remains. When the game is on the line, Papi has slipped a lot since 2008. It's been 4 years of much lower performance in this area. Call it what you will, but he has not "been there" when we need him.

Maybe "the law of averages" will catch up again, but this time to the good.