1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Re: Ortiz throws a fit... destroys dugout phone with bat

in related news, future sox dugouts switch to vonage.

Designated  Hissyfitter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Nick Cafardo - Boston Globe, National Baseball Writer

Dempster and Gomes pretend to be telephone repairmen. Have cans with strings attached to phone bank"can you hear ok?" Demp tlking into can  

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

[QUOTE]

What the "everyone needs a trophy and no one should get mad" crowd is missing is that every player has probably done this.

They just usually wait until they're in the tunnel to the clubhouse.

Ortiz didn't. Big deal.

Man, folks realy go out of their way to find things to whine about here.

People get pizzed off once in a while. Get over it.

Don and remdawg actually addressed this during the broadcast. Neither of them seemed particularly concerned.

[/QUOTE]

That is because one works for nesn and the other for the red sox.  They are company men and only say what comes on the prompter.  When there is nothing to say they giggle and laugh.

[/QUOTE]

you think their play by play analysis is scripted?

have you ever listened to them in the booth??

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

[QUOTE]

Yes, a suspension of between 4-10 games I bet.

ROTFLMAO!

Steve Buckley is calling for at least three games.

[/QUOTE]

Gee -- I heard a guy in Peoria calling for at least 20 games.

Big deal.

I like Buckley's writing, but it doesn't make him right.

A player lost his temper over a bad call. Geez -- Stop the Presses. Anybody remember George Brett's meltdown 30 years ago in the pine tar game? And Brett's considered a classy guy.

And to the poster earlier who asked if we can picture Yaz (or others doing that). I remember a game in 1975 when Yaz was called out and he argued pretty intense with the umpire, then covered home plate with dirt then when he got to the dugout threw some sunglasses at the umpire (ump needs glasses). 

Can't believe the number of "fans?" on this board who get the panties in bunch because a player loses his temper. Go watch chess if it's too much for you.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

ROTFLMAO!

[/QUOTE]

Big deal.

A player lost his temper over a bad call. Geez -- Stop the Presses. Anybody remember George Brett's meltdown 30 years ago in the pine tar game? And Brett's considered a classy guy.

And to the poster earlier who asked if we can picture Yaz (or others doing that). I remember a game in 1975 when Yaz was called out and he argued pretty intense with the umpire, then covered home plate with dirt then when he got to the dugout threw some sunglasses at the umpire (ump needs glasses). 

Can't believe the number of "fans?" on this board who get the panties in bunch because a player loses his temper. Go watch chess if it's too much for you.

[/QUOTE]

The bad calls started it, roy but he had the meltdown, after he was ejected from the game. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

ROTFLMAO!

[/QUOTE]

Big deal.

[/QUOTE]

+1 Roy.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

ROTFLMAO!

[/QUOTE]

Big deal.

[/QUOTE]

I also remember Yaz and a few others going off big time back in the day. That was a bad example.

There is a lot of judgmental overly dramatic people on here. Get over yourselves please. These are the best and most competitive players, and yes, sometimes this happens even to the best of them. Even some of the great classy old RS players that a few named on here have blown a fuse.

A suspension is actually laughable. Ive never seen a player get kicked out for hitting something in the dugout. You usually have to be addressing the ump directly. Timmons is a very confrontational umpire and a hot head himself. The whole umpiring crew has been awful. Laz Diaz is a joke as well. Their pitch/play calling skills should also be reviewed.

Papi should get fined and thats it. Move on please. Its amazing how many perfect people post here.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

To be reasonable:  No need to kill Ortiz over this incident. No need to excuse it either.  Just a question of whether he will be suspended and for how long. My guess would be three games, reduced to two.

Stabbed by Foulke.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to CommyContrarianOnTwitter's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to MustangBri's comment:

[QUOTE]

Really David?  Up 7 - 2 and you lose your mind in the dugout cuz you K'd.  Shrapnel from the phone flying everywhere... players ducking for cover.  Pedie was PO'd with him.  Suspension coming from this one.

Catch the replay on SC for this one.  Not to be believed!!  Crazy.

Gee, I wonder where all the posters are?  Usually when something happens there is a play by play on this forum.  All the Ortiz worshipers are figuring out how to spin this one.  Yes, a suspension of between 4-10 games I bet.  Even Dustin seemed hot under the collar with Ortiz.

[/QUOTE]

this is y ortiz can never b a true LEADER or captain.. TOO MANY BOUT WITH IMMATURITY. ORtiz is a guy who could channel his inner hernandez at some point.. not in a planned way but on impulse of DISRESPECT! he felt disrespected by the strike call on 3-0 so he acts like an insane child. what if someone cuts him off and disrespects him with the finger or his PED use or lack of accomplishments or whatever.. papi has a very darks side. domestic violence isnt out of the question either.. he's one of us so we igno it but many issues there. 3 game suspension..

methinks the guy who installed the fone should b DISRESPECTED! perhaps he should go off as well?

[/QUOTE]

You compare Papi to a cold blooded killer and then speak of domestic violence when nothing like that has EVER been part of his life? Once again, dramatic much?

This is why nobody take you seriously and you only have 7 twitter followers. This post is immature and irresponsible.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

It was ridiculous, immature behavior that could have resulted in a long-term injury to a teammate(s). There is no excuse for it. We demand better from 10-year-olds in Little League. In fact, in my son's league, a kid was kicked out for the season for slamming his helmet and telling  the umpire he was "awful."

Papi needs  to apologize ASAP, if he hasn't already, to his team and the league. He needs to make good on the damage he caused. I think a one- or two-game suspension would be appropriate.

However, the notion that Ortiz is "out of control" makes no sense. This is the first time I recall him exploding like this.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to ms-obstinate99's comment:

Oh....geee..... Francona recalled him dropping the f-bomb. Gimme a break. I know I've done that many a times.

Respectfully, I would suggest the following rule which I learned the hard way.  Use only those words when conversing that you would speak while sitting at the dinner table at Thanksgiving with your Grandmother present.  Truly, this rule will serve you well in the long haul.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to gymrat05's comment:

Did any of you watch the game , the ump was brutal !he should be suspended 

I watched the game.  Still no excuse for papi's behavior.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

This is what gets me ....those saying he is back on 'roids because he had lost his temper. Give me a break...so when Pedroia lost his temper and was ejected last year....roids? Each time in the past Youk lost his temper ...roids? The list could go on and on for every player in the MLB we witnessed lose his temper.... by that account roids are alive and well.

I really wish the Ortiz haters would just admit their bias.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
    — Abraham Lincoln (source: the Internet)

Im with you. A suspension would be too much. A fine is sufficient enough. Im sure papi apologized to his teammates and they understood and forgave him. As we can see by Demp and Gomes having a little fun with it. They realize that this happens sometimes in the highest competetive environment. He doesnt own the fans or MLB an apology. Thats a bit much. To compare some 10yr old LL kids to grown adults getting paid to do a job at a much higher competitive level with a lot more on the line is ridiculous.

Im not saying his behavior was right, but i understand that it happens to some of the best players. Someone mentioned Yaz back in the day and I can recall a few more of the "classy" former Sox players blowing a fuse. I can name 3 posters here who just jumped at the chance to create multiple posts when papi does something wrong. Thei bias is obvious. it happens, get over it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

[QUOTE]

Oh....geee..... Francona recalled him dropping the f-bomb. Gimme a break. I know I've done that many a times.

Respectfully, I would suggest the following rule which I learned the hard way.  Use only those words when conversing that you would speak while sitting at the dinner table at Thanksgiving with your Grandmother present.  Truly, this rule will serve you well in the long haul.

[/QUOTE]

Well said.  Our language is rich with descriptive words.  It is far wiser to speak well than to use base language, especially around kids.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In response to 67redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ortiz is out of control and he is an embarassed his team and sox fans.  First of all he should not have started to walk to first before the call was made.  Umps don't like being showed up.  Then to act the way he did over a strike out is childish and unbecoming of a sports profesional and a role model for kids.

This guy has to learn to control his temper and emotions.  Francona recounted a meeting in his book that had ortiz storming in dropping the fbomb all over the place.  Then there was the game after the bombing.  He is showing no class and needs to clean up his act.

I feel like you didn't like Ortiz before this. 

[/QUOTE]

Not true.  In 04' the sox were down and almost out.  The yanks were only one win away from sweeping the sox in the post season.  Ortiz looked up at the fans and said 'we need to put a smile on their faces".  I thought that he really had a conection with the fans back then.

I remember when he smiled alot and hughed everyone.  He seems to be more intense lately.  Tito was in a private meeting when ortiz burst in and angrily dropped fboms all over the place.  Not appropriate.

I like the guy but I don't like his behavior of late.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

ROTFLMAO!

[/QUOTE]

Big deal.

[/QUOTE]

The bad calls started it, roy but he had the meltdown, after he was ejected from the game. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah -- poorly worded. But being ejected was a call -- and a bad one :-)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

He hasn't embarrassed me..... I find he has more heart and soul than a lot of Boston athletes. Bottom line, he is human. He has more class than most athletes. He's a good man.

now that's funny

''and they call me crazy''

Nice. Now that's funny.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

"inner hernandez" ??? Are you serious? That is quite a statement Commie !

Perhaps a bit over the top but a display like that over a trivial matter is problematic.  If he can't control his temper over a stike out how does he act when something really bad happens?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to MustangBri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Really David?  Up 7 - 2 and you lose your mind in the dugout cuz you K'd.  Shrapnel from the phone flying everywhere... players ducking for cover.  Pedie was PO'd with him.  Suspension coming from this one.

Catch the replay on SC for this one.  Not to be believed!!  Crazy.

And that as eaisely could have been a teammates head instead of the telephone !!!!  What was the PAPI man thinking ???????   It is evident that those famous "MILK-SHAKES" have an effect from the heel to the head !!!!!!

[/QUOTE

I was thinking the same thing, I hope it's not true

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

a nice piece of shrapnel to Pedroias right eye would have been awesome!  Not!!!!!  Serious danger there no doubt whatsoever.

Yup.  If that happened no apology would have helped.