1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: Ortiz throws a fit... destroys dugout phone with bat

how dare you hang up on me!! Tongue Out..@mustangbri..congrats on 1k posts..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

If you don't understand losing it in the heat of a game once a blue moon, you've never played competitive team sports.

Love the passion!!!!!!

Yup, it's almost impossible to play oin the edge and not go over once in a while.  I've made it a hobby of mine to assess the kids at the local school when my kids have played.  Unless the kids were freakishly tall, the ones that make it are the ones that start to get annoyed when pushed or when we are losing.  You don't want them goi ng over the top, but the kids that don't react just don't do as well.

This wasn't the last out in game seven of the world series.  The sox were winning during a regular season game.  His degree of "passion" seemed more like rage to me which is not what you want in anyone.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

"inner hernandez" ??? Are you serious? That is quite a statement Commie !

Perhaps a bit over the top but a display like that over a trivial matter is problematic.  If he can't control his temper over a stike out how does he act when something really bad happens?

Thats the thing. Its their livelihood and their careers that they get paid well for and take very seriously. They are very competitive. You cant compare this to everyday life. If it happened all the time then maybe.

remember Milton Bradley? I would say this would fit him, not Papi.  Commys comments were WAY out of line...Nothing new there though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

Ortiz is out of control and he is an embarassed his team and sox fans.  First of all he should not have started to walk to first before the call was made.  Umps don't like being showed up.  Then to act the way he did over a strike out is childish and unbecoming of a sports profesional and a role model for kids.

This guy has to learn to control his temper and emotions.  Francona recounted a meeting in his book that had ortiz storming in dropping the fbomb all over the place.  Then there was the game after the bombing.  He is showing no class and needs to clean up his act.

No No No... You have it all wrong... Peddy played a joke on Ortiz by putting a picture of Buch on the dugout phone.....Peddy tried to tell Ortiz that the umpire put it up there.

LOL!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Perhaps a bit over the top but a display like that over a trivial matter is problematic.  If he can't control his temper over a stike out how does he act when something really bad happens?

"Perhaps?"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to royf19's comment:

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Yes, a suspension of between 4-10 games I bet.

ROTFLMAO!

Steve Buckley is calling for at least three games.

Gee -- I heard a guy in Peoria calling for at least 20 games.

Big deal.

I like Buckley's writing, but it doesn't make him right.

A player lost his temper over a bad call. Geez -- Stop the Presses. Anybody remember George Brett's meltdown 30 years ago in the pine tar game? And Brett's considered a classy guy.

And to the poster earlier who asked if we can picture Yaz (or others doing that). I remember a game in 1975 when Yaz was called out and he argued pretty intense with the umpire, then covered home plate with dirt then when he got to the dugout threw some sunglasses at the umpire (ump needs glasses). 

Can't believe the number of "fans?" on this board who get the panties in bunch because a player loses his temper. Go watch chess if it's too much for you.

I also remember Yaz and a few others going off big time back in the day. That was a bad example.

There is a lot of judgmental overly dramatic people on here. Get over yourselves please. These are the best and most competitive players, and yes, sometimes this happens even to the best of them. Even some of the great classy old RS players that a few named on here have blown a fuse.

A suspension is actually laughable. Ive never seen a player get kicked out for hitting something in the dugout. You usually have to be addressing the ump directly. Timmons is a very confrontational umpire and a hot head himself. The whole umpiring crew has been awful. Laz Diaz is a joke as well. Their pitch/play calling skills should also be reviewed.

Papi should get fined and thats it. Move on please. Its amazing how many perfect people post here.

I don't remember yaz or others behaving like ortiz.  Please site an example when any of the players I listed swung a bat around in the dug out causing shards of plastic to fly about with potential to hurt a teammate over a stike out that wasn't a game changer.  Thanks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Im done commenting here. The holier than thou crowd who dont understand competetive sports on the highest level will never get it. To suggest it would be ok if he did this in the 7th game of a post season series and not the regular season tells me all I need to know...Have fun discussing this non issue and telling everyone how bad of a person papi is, how he should be suspended, that hes comparable to Hernandez and the domestic violence is not out of the question with him...

Ridiculous.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Thats the thing. Its their livelihood and their careers that they get paid well for and take very seriously. They are very competitive. You cant compare this to everyday life. If it happened all the time then maybe.

remember Milton Bradley? I would say this would fit him, not Papi.  Commys comments were WAY out of line...Nothing new there though.

This was a minor at bat, not the last out in game seven.  He was called out like so many others.  I have been watching baseball a long time and yes you do see displays of frustration but to swing a bat in a small area with no regard for your teammates is way out of line.

If every person who works in a stress filled competitive job started swinging bats to break others property we would be living in a pretty insane world.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to readsocks' comment:

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Liked the passion,but hated the display.

yeah.. me too.. I am tired of giving Papi passes for ignorance, ie the F-Bomb at the bombing ceremony... hey Papi.. you are not the only one on the planet! 

+1

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Im done commenting here. The holier than thou crowd who dont understand competetive sports on the highest level will never get it. To suggest it would be ok if he did this in the 7th game of a post season series and not the regular season tells me all I need to know...Have fun discussing this non issue and telling everyone how bad of a person papi is, how he should be suspended, that hes comparable to Hernandez and the domestic violence is not out of the question with him...

Ridiculous.

I never suggested that it would be ok to do in the ws.  My point is oriz's at bat wasn't an intense must get a hit to win the game so he was overcome with passion at bat.  Some people here say it was ok for ortiz to behave that way because he is an intense an passionate player.  If he is this intense over a nothing at bat then there is a problem with his attitude.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Ridiculous.

The usual suspects will never tire of moralizing ad nauseum!  They simply can't help themselves with respect to constantly letting the rest of us know how morally  superior they perceive themselves to be.   Don't let it bother you!!!!  Just sit back, LAUGH, & tweak them for their self-delusional & self-anointed moral superiority.   ;)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Ridiculous.

I never suggested that it would be ok to do in the ws.  My point is oriz's at bat wasn't an intense must get a hit to win the game so he was overcome with passion at bat.  Some people here say it was ok for ortiz to behave that way because he is an intense an passionate player.  If he is this intense over a nothing at bat then there is a problem with his attitude.

Thank God we don't have a group of passionless J.D. Drew / 67 types on this team! 

Did Papi lose it?  YEP!!!  Totally!  Were 99% of Sox fans over it within seconds?  You bet your arrrrssss!

Do 99% of regular Sox fans laugh their arrrrsssses off at the likes of moralizing mamas like this?  

Oh yeh!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Just give it a rest!  We're all well read on the subject of your self-professed moral superiority.

I love being lectured to by girls with their panties in a twist who never played competative sports ;)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

btw.....

Love how Papi hits with 2 outs to move Vic into scoring position.  Yet another run created by our raging Papi ;)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Ridiculous.

Nobody said it was ok.

Quit making things up.

It's understandable and not a big deal.

Put away the pitchforks and torches.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

(a) Papi overreacted.

(b) He was immature and foolish.

(c) It's not the crime of the century.

(d) His bobble-head doll will remain on my dresser.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

(a) Papi overreacted.

Exactly.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

(a) Papi overreacted.

Agree.

It should be noted that Papi didn't react like that to a nothing at-bat and a nothing call. He was upset at the call, which was understandable, but he reacted because the umpire ejected h im when he was in the dugout.

I rarely rip officials, especially for subjective calls. I do get upset when they escalate situations because they have rabbit ears or because of their ego, which is what happened here/

Papi did go too far and could have injured himself or someone else. But it happens. Sometimes we lose oure cool.

The funny thing here is the most of the people ripping Ortiz here are the same ones who ripped J.D. Drew for getting called out on strikes in a key situation and just casually walking back to the dugout showing no emotion.

It's just so hilarious reading this board.

Ortiz shows emotion. He's ripped.

J.D. Drew doesn't show emotion. He's ripped.

John Lackey plays hurt and struggles. He's ripped.

Clay Buchholz wants to be healthy so he can pitch effectively. He's ripped.

Just have to laugh at the hypocrites because often -- not always, but often -- it's the same posters playing both sides.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

(a) Papi overreacted.

+1,000,000   You summed it up perfectly.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:

Really David?  Up 7 - 2 and you lose your mind in the dugout cuz you K'd.  Shrapnel from the phone flying everywhere... players ducking for cover.  Pedie was PO'd with him.  Suspension coming from this one.

Catch the replay on SC for this one.  Not to be believed!!  Crazy.

I don't blame pedie for being mad, ortiz could have hurt him.  Ortiz was being selfish and childish.  I hope his fine hurts but I doubt it will.

I can't imagine carl yaz, teddy ball game, gentleman jim and cal ripken acting out like this.  Pathetic.

This is just a bunch of righteous babble.  Yaz once made a big show after a called third strike by covering up home plate with dirt and placing his helmet over it.  Teddy Ballgame was known to have a foul mouth.  

You cut your stars some slack at times.  That's just the way it is.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

(a) Papi overreacted.

Maybe they can make a Big Papi booble-head where he slugs a dugout telephone.  Now that's something I'd put on my dresser.  You can put your Dustin Pedroia bobble-head next to it.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

give him credit, today he found a less violent way to dial long distance Tongue OutWink

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

(a) Papi overreacted.

Maybe they can make a Big Papi booble-head where he slugs a dugout telephone.  Now that's something I'd put on my dresser.  You can put your Dustin Pedroia bobble-head next to it.  

I don't have a Dustin Pedroia bobble-head.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

(a) Papi overreacted.

I don't have a Dustin Pedroia bobble-head.

You'll just have to go out and get one if you want to reenact the scene with action figures. 

Sections
Shortcuts