1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Re: Ortiz throws a fit... destroys dugout phone with bat

Just imagine if every Red Sox pitcher and batter had the strike zone of any T.B. pitcher or batter. 

Who's their clean-up hitter?

James Loney??!

Seriously? 

I mean...I know the league wants to keep a team in Tampa (not sure why), but could they make the strike zone dictated by the League Office a little less obvious. 

James Loney? 

Really?

Seriously? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

What everyone is forgetting is Ortiz stepped out of the batter's box and on a 3 and O count, most of the time this is going to be a strike by many umpires.

[/QUOTE]

No. That pitch should have either been called a no pitch or a ball. Regardless of where papi stepped it was nowhere close to the strike zone. The umpires job is to make the right calls to the best of their ability. not blatantly blow a call to antagonize a player.

[/QUOTE]

I frankly don't see what the problem should have been with that call.  The pitch was on it's way and Papi stepped out of the batter's box without time being called.  The umpire is then charged with calling the pitch where it is - in this case obviously a ball. 

While I'm reluctant to speculate on anyone's motives, it certainly appears that the umpire was miffed at Papi (for whatever reason) and chose to call an obvious ball a strike to "send a message".  And that was just plain wrong AND in conflict with the rules. 

All the umpire had to do was abide by the rules of the game and everything would have been fine.

Anything that happened withing the dugout should be settled within the dugout, and given the behavior of the players I'm confident that has happened already.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to miscricket's comment:

We were talking about this at the breakfast table this morning. Both son and hubbie rightly suggested that this was Ortiz' annual meltdown. With that..I agree. It seems that Ortiz has these meltdowns once every season or so..and usually when he's feeling frustrated about his performance.

However that was as far as we agreed on the matter. While they both shrugged it off I felt that his reaction was over the top..even for him. I've seen many a player throw a temper tantrum in the dugout..but never have I seen one throw a temper tantrum in the dugout while swinging a bat. He was out of control. What if he had wacked Pedroia with that bat? What if a piece of that phone injured someone? We would certainly be having a different conversation. The bottom line is that he put at least one of his teammates in harms way..and that is not what a team player does.

I am not one to pile on and have advocated for Ortiz in the past..but his behavior last night should not be excused.

Added to that..I found Ortiz' comments after the fact to be almost as disturbing as his behavior last night. He talked a lot about respect. Well..he didn't respect his teammates, he didn't respect the official, he didn't respect his coach and he didn't respect Baltimore. In fact nothing he did last night seems worthy of respect.

The officiating last night was terrible. The call was terrible..but no one took his at bat away from him. He had two additional chances at that at bat after the bad call..but he let his temper get the best of him . Is anyone in this board seriously going to suggest that Ortiz' at bat was taken away because the opportunity to pick up a walk was lost? I would hope that our DH would aspire to greater things than a base on balls while at the plate!

I would rather have seen him do his talking with the bat as he did in today's game...at the plate.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

Well said Cricket:

What everyone is forgetting is Ortiz stepped out of the batter's box and on a 3 and O count, most of the time this is going to be a strike by many umpires.

No. That pitch should have either been called a no pitch or a ball. Regardless of where papi stepped it was nowhere close to the strike zone. The umpires job is to make the right calls to the best of their ability. not blatantly blow a call to antagonize a player.

No...I have to agree with Jack on that one. I don't know if anyone remembers..but back a couple of months ago there was a big article in the Globe about how MLB was getting a lot of criticism because of the length of the games. One of the things that was cited as a major cause of this was this notion of batters arbitrarily stepping out of the batters box. If you go back and look at the video..the pitcher had virtually released the ball when Ortiz stepped out of the box. The Ump was under no obligation to acknowledge Ortiz' decision to step out and call a no pitch.  As far as calling a ball...since we are engaging in "what if" scenarios then what if Ortiz stepping out at the very last minute took the ump's focus off the ball. What's the fair call then?  Yes..it was a ball but if the ump didn't see it then why would he punish the pitcher?

The bottom line is we can love or hate Ortiz all we want. However you feel about him..and I think he's generally a nice guy...what he did the other night was wrong.

Not to mention..the situation did not call for that reaction. Yes..the officiating was not great..yes the officials blew calls throughout the game...but the Sox were comfortably ahead. Ortiz blaming his bad actions on the Ump is poor sportsmanship . Blame the ump for the bad call..but don't use that to justify your own bad actions.

I think he should get something from MLB..a suspension or a fine at least. Otherwise the message from MBL is that it is okay to swing a bat in a rage in the dugout. That is not what the game of baseball is about..not even close. Any true fan knows that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

But as long as no one is hurt I love to see passion like that from my players. Much prefer to see a display like that any day over happy nods to the competition or joking and smiles from the players on the bench during a loss.

agree 100%

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

lol @ this turning into a "moral" debate.  OMG (wait, is it morally wrong to type/say Oh My God?), a professional athlete said an "Fbomb".  he also had a temper meltdown and hit inanimate object with his bat.  for shame.  the devil made him do it.  luckily a priest was called in and doused papi with some holy water.  the devil has been driven from our big papi.  unfortunately after driving the devil out of david, the devil possessed the priest and he was last seen heading to boston area elementary schools......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

We were talking about this at the breakfast table this morning. Both son and hubbie rightly suggested that this was Ortiz' annual meltdown. With that..I agree. It seems that Ortiz has these meltdowns once every season or so..and usually when he's feeling frustrated about his performance.

However that was as far as we agreed on the matter. While they both shrugged it off I felt that his reaction was over the top..even for him. I've seen many a player throw a temper tantrum in the dugout..but never have I seen one throw a temper tantrum in the dugout while swinging a bat. He was out of control. What if he had wacked Pedroia with that bat? What if a piece of that phone injured someone? We would certainly be having a different conversation. The bottom line is that he put at least one of his teammates in harms way..and that is not what a team player does.

I am not one to pile on and have advocated for Ortiz in the past..but his behavior last night should not be excused.

Added to that..I found Ortiz' comments after the fact to be almost as disturbing as his behavior last night. He talked a lot about respect. Well..he didn't respect his teammates, he didn't respect the official, he didn't respect his coach and he didn't respect Baltimore. In fact nothing he did last night seems worthy of respect.

The officiating last night was terrible. The call was terrible..but no one took his at bat away from him. He had two additional chances at that at bat after the bad call..but he let his temper get the best of him . Is anyone in this board seriously going to suggest that Ortiz' at bat was taken away because the opportunity to pick up a walk was lost? I would hope that our DH would aspire to greater things than a base on balls while at the plate!

I would rather have seen him do his talking with the bat as he did in today's game...at the plate.

Well said Cricket:

Why a no pitch?  Even if Ortiz had called time, the umpire does not have to grant it. If Ortiz is not in the batter's box then then as long as the pitch is close, it is going to be called a strike most of the time.  It is like when a batter starts to trot to first on 3-0 and pitch before the ump has made his call. Many times the ump will bring him back with a called strike.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

Well said Cricket:

I have seen it happen many times.  Umps don't like to be disrespected.  They have a job to do and they don't like it when a player makes the call and I can't say that I blame them.

Thank you

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

And Congrats to Ortiz for a great game yesterday.  After the game he said the boos motivated him.  I guess the Fenway fans should boo him when he goes 12 games without an RBI.  BTW, Iggy still has more going back 13 games.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

a nice piece of shrapnel to Pedroias right eye would have been awesome!  Not!!!!!  Serious danger there no doubt whatsoever.

Yup.  If that happened no apology would have helped.

yeah, but if you guys watched the replay you could see pedie covering his face with a towel.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

Now I know how Aaron Hernandez felt.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Nick Cafardo @nickcafardo 

After reviewing the situation today, MLB has decided not to suspend David Ortiz for his dugout tirade according to a source.

Sorry to all the papi "fans" on here who were having fun with their piling on party, but like i said, his actions didnt warrant a suspension and MLB agrees...So Its now time to officially retire this thread.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

After reviewing the situation today, MLB has decided not to suspend David Ortiz for his dugout tirade according to a source.

Sorry to all the papi "fans" on here who were having fun with their piling on party, but like i said, his actions didnt warrant a suspension and MLB agrees...So Its now time to officially retire this thread.

I'm stunned!!

Not really..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

That is good news. I thought he was going to get a couple of games for sure.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

& the real Red Sox fans celebrate this easy pass by MLB on suspending Papi, as it was nothing stunning or out of the ordinary.

The church ladies will continue to gnash their teeth & blather on ad nauseum about how they are simply more in tune with what constitutes morally reprehensible behavior.

We'll root for Papi to go 4 for 4 again tonight  :)

Let's hear your outrage ladies.......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

This is a great injustice to all working telephones everywhere in the world.  And since when is it OK for a player to lose his temper or to be anything other than completely respectful of an umpire's decision?  If this decision stands, it will be the beginning of the end for MLB and dugout telephones will go on the endangered species list.  I lost all respect for David Ortiz all the way until the next game, yesterday afternoon, when suddenly it returned as he bashed the Orioles, hopefully another endangered species. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

This is a great injustice to all working telephones everywhere in the world.  And since when is it OK for a player to lose his temper or to be anything other than completely respectful of an umpire's decision?  If this decision stands, it will be the beginning of the end for MLB and dugout telephones will go on the endangered species list.  I lost all respect for David Ortiz all the way until the next game, yesterday afternoon, when suddenly it returned as he bashed the Orioles, hopefully another endangered species. 

And that was a so-called "explosion proof box" Papi destroyed.

Look at this way his behavior will keep a few working stiff telephone techs employed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ddimaria. Show ddimaria's posts

In response to readsocks' comment:

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Liked the passion,but hated the display.

yeah.. me too.. I am tired of giving Papi passes for ignorance, ie the F-Bomb at the bombing ceremony... hey Papi.. you are not the only one on the planet! 

That 'speech' in the bombing ceremony was one of the things I remember so far out of this season.  It showed the passion he plays with.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Papi's actions called for a short suspension, in my opinion, but I'm damn glad he didn't get  one.  Hopefully this will  be the end of it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Well said Cricket:

Why a no pitch?  Even if Ortiz had called time, the umpire does not have to grant it. If Ortiz is not in the batter's box then then as long as the pitch is close, it is going to be called a strike most of the time.  It is like when a batter starts to trot to first on 3-0 and pitch before the ump has made his call. Many times the ump will bring him back with a called strike.

i'm not saying it should have been called a no-pitch as opposed to a ball.... but those are the only two options for the ump to call on that pitch. period. trying to say that was a strike in any way shape or form is just bad umpiring.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to ms-obstinate99's comment:

If this is about anger and setting examples for the children.....where does fighting in hockey come in. I'm one of those ones on the edge of my seat when Shawn Thornton's going at it.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
    — Abraham Lincoln (source: the Internet)

MsObs....
    I see your point..but to me comparing hockey to baseball is like comparing bunny rabbits to tigers. Hockey is inherently a much more physical sport and the fights on the ice are nothing new and mostly expected. 

Baseball was not designed to be a contact sport. Listen..I know part of the game is passion..and I don't fault that at all. I know player ( and coach) meltdowns are par for the course and sometimes very entertaining. In spite of the fact that some posters here want to refer to me as a "church lady" ( I am ..but that is beside the point..lol) I don't have a problem with all of those things. What I have a problem with is a player..in a rage..picking up a baseball bat in a dugout and swinging it in close enough proximity to have at least one of his teammates ducking. Supporting that behavior does not make one a "true baseball fan" as dirtdog states. It makes you a hero worshipper.

Those who are quoting Nick Cafardo should read his entire article on this matter in the Globe.

For the sake of the Red Sox..I am glad Ortiz got a free pass with the MLB. For the sake of MLB and the sport of baseball...not so much.

In a pregame interview on the radio yesterday...Farrell made it clear he was not thrilled with Ortiz' behavior. I suppose that makes him a "church lady" as well...lol

Regardless..MLB has spoken...and judging from the comments on this thread opinion is mixed and we are probably all going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

If this is about anger and setting examples for the children.....where does fighting in hockey come in. I'm one of those ones on the edge of my seat when Shawn Thornton's going at it.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."

MsObs....
    I see your point..but to me comparing hockey to baseball is like comparing bunny rabbits to tigers. Hockey is inherently a much more physical sport and the fights on the ice are nothing new and mostly expected. 

Baseball was not designed to be a contact sport. Listen..I know part of the game is passion..and I don't fault that at all. I know player ( and coach) meltdowns are par for the course and sometimes very entertaining. In spite of the fact that some posters here want to refer to me as a "church lady" ( I am ..but that is beside the point..lol) I don't have a problem with all of those things. What I have a problem with is a player..in a rage..picking up a baseball bat in a dugout and swinging it in close enough proximity to have at least one of his teammates ducking. Supporting that behavior does not make one a "true baseball fan" as dirtdog states. It makes you a hero worshipper.

Those who are quoting Nick Cafardo should read his entire article on this matter in the Globe.

For the sake of the Red Sox..I am glad Ortiz got a free pass with the MLB. For the sake of MLB and the sport of baseball...not so much.

In a pregame interview on the radio yesterday...Farrell made it clear he was not thrilled with Ortiz' behavior. I suppose that makes him a "church lady" as well...lol

Regardless..MLB has spoken...and judging from the comments on this thread opinion is mixed and we are probably all going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

i don't think RSDD (or the other people criticizing the moralists) was referring to you. You've done a great job expressing your opinions on the matter without being condescending or with a holier-than-thou attitude.

67redsox on the other hand........righteous *****

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

MsObs....

i don't think RSDD (or the other people criticizing the moralists) was referring to you. You've done a great job expressing your opinions on the matter without being condescending or with a holier-than-thou attitude.

67redsox on the other hand........righteous *****

Okay..thanks for clearing that up...I guess the "church lady" comment hit close to home..lol

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:

Really David?  Up 7 - 2 and you lose your mind in the dugout cuz you K'd.  Shrapnel from the phone flying everywhere... players ducking for cover.  Pedie was PO'd with him.  Suspension coming from this one.

Catch the replay on SC for this one.  Not to be believed!!  Crazy.

Gee, I wonder where all the posters are?  Usually when something happens there is a play by play on this forum.  All the Ortiz worshipers are figuring out how to spin this one.  Yes, a suspension of between 4-10 games I bet.  Even Dustin seemed hot under the collar with Ortiz.

Aww, poor Jack.  Sorry, no suspension

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I laughed at the "church lady" comments too.

I also knew we'd be on opposite sides of this .... I know comparing Ortiz outburst to hockey was a stretch, but it fit the arguement of those complaining it sets a bad example for the children. Yes, the broken peices could have brought harm.... but no more so than a hockey stick being slammed on the bench or against the tunnel to the dressing room.

Hockey is inherently a much more physical sport and the fights on the ice are nothing new and mostly expected.

I have one question on the statement above, if it was mostly expected ....would Ortiz's action then be acceptable? Far fetched.... I know.... but you know me.... I have a hard time letting go of any anti-Ortiz comments ;-)  I love the guy, I love his passion.

Some athletes are just a hot topic....Ortiz always seems to get this kind of attention.

lol...I get your point even if I don't agree :-) I think with hockey though..you kind of know what you're getting up front. If you choose to bring a kid to an NHL game then you essentially know what you are getting into. There is an element of danger to hockey that just doesn't exist in baseball.

It's not the outburst that I disagree..it's the use of the bat. If that bat connects with Pedroia..the damage is far greater than a hockey player with a helmet and padding getting hit with a hockey stick.

...and yes..your question is far -fetched but I'll still bite :-) When baseball is played with the same physical intensity that Hockey is played..then I promise that Ortiz's actions would be slightly more acceptable. Like I said..it's the bat. If Ortiz' unintentionally connects with Pedroia's face in that dugout..then we are all having a far different conversation.

I know how you feel about Ortiz.  I feel the same way about Wakefield.

Sections
Shortcuts