1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Ortiz throws a fit... destroys dugout phone with bat

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

You'll just have to go out and get one if you want to reenact the scene with action figures. 

But I don't. Re-enacting the scene was your idea. So you have to buy one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

[QUOTE]

(a) Papi overreacted.

(b) He was immature and foolish.

(c) It's not the crime of the century.

(d) His bobble-head doll will remain on my dresser.

Maybe they can make a Big Papi booble-head where he slugs a dugout telephone.  Now that's something I'd put on my dresser.  You can put your Dustin Pedroia bobble-head next to it.  

[/QUOTE]

And I just got a new DP bobble head at a seadogs game last month Tongue Out

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

We were talking about this at the breakfast table this morning. Both son and hubbie rightly suggested that this was Ortiz' annual meltdown. With that..I agree. It seems that Ortiz has these meltdowns once every season or so..and usually when he's feeling frustrated about his performance.

However that was as far as we agreed on the matter. While they both shrugged it off I felt that his reaction was over the top..even for him. I've seen many a player throw a temper tantrum in the dugout..but never have I seen one throw a temper tantrum in the dugout while swinging a bat. He was out of control. What if he had wacked Pedroia with that bat? What if a piece of that phone injured someone? We would certainly be having a different conversation. The bottom line is that he put at least one of his teammates in harms way..and that is not what a team player does.

I am not one to pile on and have advocated for Ortiz in the past..but his behavior last night should not be excused.

Added to that..I found Ortiz' comments after the fact to be almost as disturbing as his behavior last night. He talked a lot about respect. Well..he didn't respect his teammates, he didn't respect the official, he didn't respect his coach and he didn't respect Baltimore. In fact nothing he did last night seems worthy of respect.

The officiating last night was terrible. The call was terrible..but no one took his at bat away from him. He had two additional chances at that at bat after the bad call..but he let his temper get the best of him . Is anyone in this board seriously going to suggest that Ortiz' at bat was taken away because the opportunity to pick up a walk was lost? I would hope that our DH would aspire to greater things than a base on balls while at the plate!

I would rather have seen him do his talking with the bat as he did in today's game...at the plate.

" Above all..be the heroine in your life..not the victim" Nora Ephron

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

We were talking about this at the breakfast table this morning. Both son and hubbie rightly suggested that this was Ortiz' annual meltdown. With that..I agree. It seems that Ortiz has these meltdowns once every season or so..and usually when he's feeling frustrated about his performance.

However that was as far as we agreed on the matter. While they both shrugged it off I felt that his reaction was over the top..even for him. I've seen many a player throw a temper tantrum in the dugout..but never have I seen one throw a temper tantrum in the dugout while swinging a bat. He was out of control. What if he had wacked Pedroia with that bat? What if a piece of that phone injured someone? We would certainly be having a different conversation. The bottom line is that he put at least one of his teammates in harms way..and that is not what a team player does.

I am not one to pile on and have advocated for Ortiz in the past..but his behavior last night should not be excused.

Added to that..I found Ortiz' comments after the fact to be almost as disturbing as his behavior last night. He talked a lot about respect. Well..he didn't respect his teammates, he didn't respect the official, he didn't respect his coach and he didn't respect Baltimore. In fact nothing he did last night seems worthy of respect.

The officiating last night was terrible. The call was terrible..but no one took his at bat away from him. He had two additional chances at that at bat after the bad call..but he let his temper get the best of him . Is anyone in this board seriously going to suggest that Ortiz' at bat was taken away because the opportunity to pick up a walk was lost? I would hope that our DH would aspire to greater things than a base on balls while at the plate!

I would rather have seen him do his talking with the bat as he did in today's game...at the plate.

I think maybe you enjoyed the red sox winning the WS in 2004 and 2007 but have no taste to watch how sausage is made.

If not for the passion of David Ortiz his passion for winning you would not have had the success you have had since he has put on the Red Sox uniform..

Outbursts like his the other night while infrequent are not rare in sports, anyone who has played competitive sports has seen much worst.

Eleoquent post by you but way off the mark imo.

You my lady are far too pc...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

I don't remember Yankee fans asking Paul O'Neil to tone it down after destroying numerous coolers in the Yankee dugout after wiffing.

And I wouldn't expect them to.

Cut the guy a break.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Great post.  I think everyone has their own take on this.  Some think it's no big deal and some think he was way out of line.  He did show a lack of respect for the game, his team, the fans, the O's and the ump.

Since I live outside of DC I have to watch the O's station when the sox are in baltimore.  The O's announcers found his behavior to be disrespectful to the O's.  He did after all vandelize their dugout, not boston's. 

They said he showed the ump up because he stepped out of the box before the 4th ball was called.  It is common knowledge that you don't make a move until the ump makes the call.  We have all seen this happen, someone starts for first before the call is made and the ump calls a strike.  More often than not the ump calls a ball a strike to send a message.  We have all seen this.

Ortiz, they feel, is a bit too self centered.  I think he is a bit full of himself.

Is it the end of the world?  Of course not!  Was I happy when he hit a home run, you bet I was!  Will I continue to root for him, absolutely!  Do I think he needs to tone it down, stop breaking up other teams dugouts and stop dropping the fbomb in front of kids, you betch ya!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

give him credit, today he found a less violent way to dial long distance Tongue OutWink

LOL!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

I don't remember Yankee fans asking Paul O'Neil to tone it down after destroying numerous coolers in the Yankee dugout after wiffing.

Cut the guy a break.

Hey twm~

I think there is a big difference between knocking over water coolers, or kicking dirt on home plate like carl yaz did and swinging a bat in a small space near your teammates while destroying another teams dug out. 

He didn't know who was behind him.  When I was a kid my brother swung a toy like a bat to throw it to another kid.  I just happened to be behind him and ended up with stitches in my eyebrow.  Any lower and my eyes would have been involved.

Ortiz should go down into the tunnel out of sight from young fans and away from his teammates before he starts swinging a bat.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from exdodgerfan. Show exdodgerfan's posts

Persons that play at Ortiz' level are not normal people in any respect.

we used to have a lot of odd characters in the dugout:

Pedro, Manny, Curt, Paps....we did ok with that crowd.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

[QUOTE]

Well said Cricket:

What everyone is forgetting is Ortiz stepped out of the batter's box and on a 3 and O count, most of the time this is going to be a strike by many umpires.

[/QUOTE]

No. That pitch should have either been called a no pitch or a ball. Regardless of where papi stepped it was nowhere close to the strike zone. The umpires job is to make the right calls to the best of their ability. not blatantly blow a call to antagonize a player.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

[QUOTE]

Cut the guy a break.

Hey twm~

I think there is a big difference between knocking over water coolers, or kicking dirt on home plate like carl yaz did and swinging a bat in a small space near your teammates while destroying another teams dug out. 

He didn't know who was behind him.  When I was a kid my brother swung a toy like a bat to throw it to another kid.  I just happened to be behind him and ended up with stitches in my eyebrow.  Any lower and my eyes would have been involved.

Ortiz should go down into the tunnel out of sight from young fans and away from his teammates before he starts swinging a bat.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe he has in the past.

I'm sure he wasn't as close to Pedroia as he appeared to be on the video..

I'm also quite sure that he knew no one was close by.

He might have been angry but he isn't stupid.

Never thought I'd be here defending Papi on a Sox site.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Great post.  I think everyone has their own take on this.  Some think it's no big deal and some think he was way out of line.  He did show a lack of respect for the game, his team, the fans, the O's and the ump.

Since I live outside of DC I have to watch the O's station when the sox are in baltimore.  The O's announcers found his behavior to be disrespectful to the O's.  He did after all vandelize their dugout, not boston's. 

They said he showed the ump up because he stepped out of the box before the 4th ball was called.  It is common knowledge that you don't make a move until the ump makes the call.  We have all seen this happen, someone starts for first before the call is made and the ump calls a strike.  More often than not the ump calls a ball a strike to send a message.  We have all seen this.

Ortiz, they feel, is a bit too self centered.  I think he is a bit full of himself.

Is it the end of the world?  Of course not!  Was I happy when he hit a home run, you bet I was!  Will I continue to root for him, absolutely!  Do I think he needs to tone it down, stop breaking up other teams dugouts and stop dropping the fbomb in front of kids, you betch ya!

If an ump calls a ball to "send a message" he should 100 percent be fired. His job is not to have an opinion or to make a statement. It is to call game base on what is actually happening not what he wants to happen. A ump sending a message is medling with the game period, that is not allowed in professional sports in general. Golden rule of umpiring is to be seen and not be heard. The calls last night were out of control, the whole crew frankly needs to be reviewed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

Well said Cricket:

What everyone is forgetting is Ortiz stepped out of the batter's box and on a 3 and O count, most of the time this is going to be a strike by many umpires.

[/QUOTE]

I have seen it happen many times.  Umps don't like to be disrespected.  They have a job to do and they don't like it when a player makes the call and I can't say that I blame them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Cut the guy a break.

Hey twm~

[/QUOTE]

Maybe he has in the past.

I'm sure he wasn't as close to Pedroia as he appeared to be on the video..

I'm also quite sure that he knew no one was close by.

He might have been angry but he isn't stupid.

Never thought I'd be here defending Papi on a Sox site.

[/QUOTE]

Oh no, the world has gone crazy! You are defending a sox player LOL!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Well said Cricket:

[/QUOTE]

No. That pitch should have either been called a no pitch or a ball. Regardless of where papi stepped it was nowhere close to the strike zone. The umpires job is to make the right calls to the best of their ability. not blatantly blow a call to antagonize a player.

[/QUOTE]

Wheather it's right or wrong it happens all the time.  Umps don't like players showing them up and to be fair a player shouldn't make the call for the ump. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Papi didnt handle it well, it happens. Apologies were made to those that deserve them. Players and fans alike are having a little fun with it today. Its a dead issue, or at least should be.

Its amazing to me to see such overblown reactions to this. The Sox won today in a great game. Another well pitched game by Lester again, and all a few people can do is talk about what happened yesterday.

I hope the mods retire this thread by tomorrow. My God some people seem to just thrive on piling on and judging others. Its pretty sad.

Everyone directly involved has moved on from this. I think its time for some posters here to do the same.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The man doesn't respect umpires and is a menace to his teammates.  He needs to be banished from MLB for good as a lesson to all players who lose their tempers, and goodness knows what the "phone company" is going to do to him.  This is much worse than anything Bobby V ever did and deserves its own permanent story at the Boston Globe website. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to MustangBri's comment:

Really David?  Up 7 - 2 and you lose your mind in the dugout cuz you K'd.  Shrapnel from the phone flying everywhere... players ducking for cover.  Pedie was PO'd with him.  Suspension coming from this one.

Catch the replay on SC for this one.  Not to be believed!!  Crazy.

I don't blame pedie for being mad, ortiz could have hurt him.  Ortiz was being selfish and childish.  I hope his fine hurts but I doubt it will.

I can't imagine carl yaz, teddy ball game, gentleman jim and cal ripken acting out like this.  Pathetic.

This is just a bunch of righteous babble.  Yaz once made a big show after a called third strike by covering up home plate with dirt and placing his helmet over it.  Teddy Ballgame was known to have a foul mouth.  

You cut your stars some slack at times.  That's just the way it is.  

[/QUOTE]

Very funny & oh so spot on.....

Let the church ladies on this board continue to moralize.  The boys will simply enjoy their team, & let OUR boys be boys. 

I suggest the ladies join a competative softball league or some such competative league to catch a clue????

My guess is this has less to do with not being able to relate to the highest level of competative sports and respect what it takes to compete at the highest levels, and so much more to do with an obsessive NEED to flaunt ones moral superiority???

wisdom guided by experience......

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

J.D. Drew:  All the talent in the world + an above average passion & fire =  The guy could have been one of the greats

Papi:  Good talent + Drive + Fire + Passion + occasional over the top blow up stemming from said Passion =  The greatest DH in Boston (perhaps the entire mlb) history.

I'll take really good players with unbelievable passion (i.e. Pedey) 999 times out of a 1000, over the LOW passion LOW demonstrative nature J.D. Drew (I'm just worried about loving God & being demonstrative toward him) guys every day of the week.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

p.s.   J.D. drew will be remembered less for helping the Sox wim the WS than for having ALL THE UNREALIZED TALENT IN THE WORLD due to his ABSOLUTE LACK Of real passion & fire.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

J.D. Drew:  All the talent in the world + an above average passion & fire =  The guy could have been one of the greats

Papi:  Good talent + Drive + Fire + Passion + occasional over the top blow up stemming from said Passion =  The greatest DH in Boston (perhaps the entire mlb) history.

I'll take really good players with unbelievable passion (i.e. Pedey) 999 times out of a 1000, over the LOW passion LOW demonstrative nature J.D. Drew (I'm just worried about loving God & being demonstrative toward him) guys every day of the week.

I'll take really good players, demonstrative or not.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

[QUOTE]

I'll take really good players, demonstrative or not.  

[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone can argue with that. I'm sure somone will try though!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Strongly, strongly, strongly, approve. For the way he's been treated by the home plate morons, Lester should have destroyed several whole dugouts by now. 

The photo of Gomes with the can and the string might be the funniest thing I have ever seen in my life.