1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: Ortiz throws a fit... destroys dugout phone with bat

One of my favourite jokes from one of my favourite comedians is George Carlin's:

"Didja ever notice that when you're driving on the highway, everyone driving faster than you is a maniac ("look at that maniac's dangerous driving!") while everyone driving slower than you is an idiot ("Get out of the way, you idiot!")....so the only person driving at the right speed is yourself."

It's an imperfect analogy to this issue because Ortiz was almost totally out of control and it will probably cost the team....but people complain if JD Drew just gets on with things, they complain if Youk smashes up a water cooler, they complain if Manny has a chat with the scoreboard operators during a lull, they complain if Ortiz loses his rag....

Do some players often get the balance right?  Sure, Pedroia, for example, IMO.  BUT MAYBE PEDROIA IS SPECIAL!  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

In response to MustangBri's comment:

Really David?  Up 7 - 2 and you lose your mind in the dugout cuz you K'd.  Shrapnel from the phone flying everywhere... players ducking for cover.  Pedie was PO'd with him.  Suspension coming from this one.

Catch the replay on SC for this one.  Not to be believed!!  Crazy.

I don't blame pedie for being mad, ortiz could have hurt him.  Ortiz was being selfish and childish.  I hope his fine hurts but I doubt it will.

I can't imagine carl yaz, teddy ball game, gentleman jim and cal ripken acting out like this.  Pathetic.

Then again, those four excellent players and people played about 80 seasons collectively and won a total of 1 (one) World Series.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to ms-obstinate99's comment:

I laughed at the "church lady" comments too.

I also knew we'd be on opposite sides of this .... I know comparing Ortiz outburst to hockey was a stretch, but it fit the arguement of those complaining it sets a bad example for the children. Yes, the broken peices could have brought harm.... but no more so than a hockey stick being slammed on the bench or against the tunnel to the dressing room.

Hockey is inherently a much more physical sport and the fights on the ice are nothing new and mostly expected.

I have one question on the statement above, if it was mostly expected ....would Ortiz's action then be acceptable? Far fetched.... I know.... but you know me.... I have a hard time letting go of any anti-Ortiz comments ;-)  I love the guy, I love his passion.

Some athletes are just a hot topic....Ortiz always seems to get this kind of attention.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
    — Abraham Lincoln (source: the Internet)

Oh how I despise the "bad example for children" melodrama.  It is so lazy, so ignorant, so simplistic and Pollyanna-ish.  If properly explained, I'm not sure there are any bad examples for children.

If my two children (considered by all to be very kind, polite and well-behaved) knew of Ortiz (they don't) and his history as an athlete, leader, person, etc. then saw him lose his rag and go berserk as he did....it'd be an easy, positive conversation to have with them i.e. "Sometimes good people make mistakes and behave badly....he was totally wrong and even his teammates tried to stop him.  Maybe he had a bad day, or wasn't feeling well....but whatever the case, that's totally unacceptable behaviour and there is no excuse for that.  I'm really shocked but we all make mistakes, judge him on his whole life, not 10 minutes today."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Please shut the FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF up!

This is a dead story.  We all know he lost it!!!!!!  

Is it Ok?  of course not!  Does he regret it.  Of course he does! 

ARE YOU GOING TO BEAT IT TO DEATH???????

Of course you will!  You're the church lady & NEED to make sure that all of us know how morally outraged YOU ARE!

How about getting outraged by the immoral call at home 20 minutes ago???

Just shut up!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

;)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Go ahead!

YOU can't help yourself......

Explain to us again why YOU are 'concerned," and why ALL OF US should be too.

If you explain it really slowwwwwwwly.......  with dripping sincerity....... we craven sloths might get why you're right.

PLEASE church ladies!!!!!!!!!   Tell us just one more time why you're so outraged.  PLEASE!!!!!!!!

We love to be lectured to by the likes of YOU!

;)

Come on now ladies.....   crack a smile :)