2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Re: Ortiz vs. Top Pitchers

In response to royf19's comment:

In response to 67redsox's comment:

Some posters just can't move on.  This thread was started to bash bill then the softy bashing started.

The sox just clinched a post season berth, unthought of last april and some want to bash others. 

Ortiz can hit, some said he would fade, some said he would need some rest, some said he would do well.  What difference does it make!

No, this thread was started to refute an opinion that had no basis in fact. Using facts to debunk someone else's opinion isn't bashing. Sorry you feel that way. You've defending bill before, and that's fine. But I don't get it. It's OK for him to post whatever opinion he wants without facts to back them up, but it's not OK for someone else to take argue against that opinion and not just argue against, but use facts to back up that opinion.

I don't get it. Then what the he!! is this message board for.

Why do you defend bill's and softy's right to post what ever they want then bash those who want to refute their claims? Not just a little bit of a double standard. It's a huge double standard.

I don't think it's a double standat at all.  You are not on a anti-ortiz thread stated by bill trying to refute what he's saying.  A good back and forth on a thread like that is fine as long as it stays civil.

You started a thread bringing up bill's opinion out of the blue to be negative, that is totally different.  Then the softy posts start and he's not even here.  Good grief, when are people going to forget him.  He has influence on this board and he was booted a while back, when is it going to end?

From what I can see bill is doing his best to be a positive poster. These kinds of threads don't help him move forward.

Thank-you for your civil post!

Actually if you read my post, I originally did post it in response to what he wrote. It was an old thread when I responded and by that time, I wasn't sure if anyone was going back to it and read it.

I thought it was an intersting enough topic and worthy of it's own thread so I started a new thread. I did it because as I responded to another poster, I actually expected Bill to be partly right. Good pitchers are good pitchers because they can get good hitters out. I was surprised that Ortiz was hitting "good pitching" as well as he was.

Yes, I could have made the original post without mentioning Bill, but I was having a little fun with it. (Remember, you've defended Bill's "humor" in the past.)

And if you noticed, Bill has been nowhere to be seen on this thread. He's not interested in having an intelligent back-and-forth discussion. He spews his ridiculous comments and when someone responds intelligently with facts to support an opposing view, he doesn't respond.

And that's fine if that's the way he wants to be. Like I said -- my main reason for starting the new thread was to show how well Ortiz has hit "good pitching."

As for softy -- he's not worth my time. I haven't responded to a post of his in a long time because he's another one who's not interested in an intelligent discussion.

I was enjoying your post until the spewing remark.  Bill is bill, to me he is harmless.  For whatever reason he likes to post here but I don't think he takes it as seriously as some.  I get a kick out of his posts because I take them in the manner that I thinkthey are intended.

Thanks for the great back and forth on this!

Yeah, you're right about "spew" but it's such a great word.

To be honest, I ignore bill most of the time because his style bores me. However, when he posts something that can be easily refuted with a little research, I might chime in simply because it interests me to dig deeper into stats, etc. and I learn more about the team or players. Like this thread. I found it very interesting to see how Ortiz was doing against those pitchers.

I find that some here are big into stats and I think that's great.  You guys enjoy researching and comparing and I admire that.  But, some of us, me included, don't get into it.  It's probably because I didn't do well in math, I'm more of a right brain person Wink

My husband has his masters in electrical engineering and I was a florist, you can imagine what our converstations are like LOL!!!  We have been married for thirty two years so I guess we find something to talk about Undecided

I do come to bill's defence because I hate it when people pile on.  My son has ADHD and a high IQ.  He was horribly picked on in school so I am sensitive to these things.  IMHO bill is a good guy who just likes to post.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think Bill is a good guy.  He just needs to lay off Ortiz.  People love Ortiz, and for good reason.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

Ortiz has started and finished 122 games this season, which is within the 115 to 120 games maximum workload I projected he could handle. He has declined in August and September with 8 home runs for 1/3 of the season, pending the last few games. He is struggling to try and reach 100 RBI's for the first time since 2010, and is struggling to reach 30 homers for the first time since 2010. It remains to be seen what he has left in the playoffs, even though he's strictly a DH. With another full year on his contract, it's been quite clear for the last 2 years that he no longer has the physical constitution to start and finish 140 or more games. It remains to be seen how he holds up in 2014, after appearing in 130 games in 2013.

Wakefield and Varitek were washed up before they were put in a position of having management basically retire them after a season or more too long. I believe Ortiz is going to be in that position during 2014 and the miles of 2013 will result in less effectiveness in 2014.

The book isn't in on the Ortiz 2 year contract, until the post season and 2014 are completed.

Ortiz has been a part-time player since 2010, even though he's just DH'ing.

Sox, 

I'll only partially agree with you on Ortiz as to his decline in August and September. Granted in August his stats were down dramatically, but this month in 17 games he's got a line of 4hrs, 14rbis, with 8 two baggers and 11 runs scored. His average for the month is down at .273 but otherwise he has had a productive month. I know it's extending a small sample but take his stats for 17 games in September, average them to 162 games and he'd be close to 40hrs, 133rbis, a ridiculous 76 doubles, etc.

For me I think we take Otiz for granted a bit expecting him to be great with every at bat, every month, etc. And of course with Papi approaching his 40s every slump, or off week/month some us wonder if he's suddenly in decline which I guess is only natural. We remember the Ortiz/Manny combination and how productive Papi was at his best, but very few players ever remain so productive forever. I'm sure not having Manny in the lineup has affective Ortiz to some extent as well. 

As I've mentioned before I now reside in the lovely City of Milwaukee, home of the Brewers and rarely ever get to see the Sox so this past week or so I was lucky to view a number of games on TV, especially the very pleasing sweep of the EVIL EMPIRE and it seemed like Ortiz had cut down on his swing and was more than happy to accommodate the defensive shift by going the other way to left, or just giving what the other team would give him. Maybe the power of the past is not all there but the hitting smarts still are.

Just my limited point of view.

Hetch

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

I don't put them on ignore, but I don't pay "munch" attention to what they say.

[/QUOTE]

Hi 67sox, 

Is that a Freudian Slip. 

Hetch

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

And I quote:

"In response to softlaw2's comment:

my heart says over, my brain says under

for the record...i think this was one of my posts....not softy's...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Some posters just can't move on.  This thread was started to bash bill then the softy bashing started.

The sox just clinched a post season berth, unthought of last april and some want to bash others. 

Ortiz can hit, some said he would fade, some said he would need some rest, some said he would do well.  What difference does it make!

No, this thread was started to refute an opinion that had no basis in fact. Using facts to debunk someone else's opinion isn't bashing. Sorry you feel that way. You've defending bill before, and that's fine. But I don't get it. It's OK for him to post whatever opinion he wants without facts to back them up, but it's not OK for someone else to take argue against that opinion and not just argue against, but use facts to back up that opinion.

Why do you defend bill's and softy's right to post what ever they want then bash those who want to refute their claims? Not just a little bit of a double standard. It's a huge double standard.

I don't think it's a double standat at all.  You are not on a anti-ortiz thread stated by bill trying to refute what he's saying.  A good back and forth on a thread like that is fine as long as it stays civil.

You started a thread bringing up bill's opinion out of the blue to be negative, that is totally different.  Then the softy posts start and he's not even here.  Good grief, when are people going to forget him.  He has influence on this board and he was booted a while back, when is it going to end?

From what I can see bill is doing his best to be a positive poster. These kinds of threads don't help him move forward.

Actually if you read my post, I originally did post it in response to what he wrote. It was an old thread when I responded and by that time, I wasn't sure if anyone was going back to it and read it.

I thought it was an intersting enough topic and worthy of it's own thread so I started a new thread. I did it because as I responded to another poster, I actually expected Bill to be partly right. Good pitchers are good pitchers because they can get good hitters out. I was surprised that Ortiz was hitting "good pitching" as well as he was.

Yes, I could have made the original post without mentioning Bill, but I was having a little fun with it. (Remember, you've defended Bill's "humor" in the past.)

And if you noticed, Bill has been nowhere to be seen on this thread. He's not interested in having an intelligent back-and-forth discussion. He spews his ridiculous comments and when someone responds intelligently with facts to support an opposing view, he doesn't respond.

And that's fine if that's the way he wants to be. Like I said -- my main reason for starting the new thread was to show how well Ortiz has hit "good pitching."

As for softy -- he's not worth my time. I haven't responded to a post of his in a long time because he's another one who's not interested in an intelligent discussion.

Hey, BILL-806 has been busy, ya know , I do work .......  As DAD would say...... "SON, STATS are good, but it is what are you doing tonight that counts" !!!  At this level, both teams need to bring their "A-GAME" or wait for the other team to make a MISTAKE" !!!   And that is what this entire playoff & W S has been about !!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

After tonight's game, Papi will have played in 153 games this year and had about 667 PAs.

The durability issue after his return from the early season DL has been decided.

Only 4 of the 153 games saw Papi not get the full amount of PAs possible from his slot. 

1) He pinch hit for one PA

2) He pinch hit for one PA

3) He was removed after 5 innings in a 12-1 game after getting 3 PAs.

4) He was removed after 6 innings in a 15-5 game after getting 4 PAs.

His combined regular season and playoffs numbers:

PA     AB    H   2B  3B HR   RBI  BB

Regular  600  518  160  38  2   30  103  76

Playoff     63    50    18     3  0     5    13  12

TOTAL   663   568   178  41  2  35  116  88

BA:     .313

OBP:  .401

SLG:  .577

OPS:  .979

His OPS is 47 points higher than his career OPS.

His OPS is 17 points higher than his career OPS with the Red Sox only.

His OPS is just .004 below his 2004 regular season OPS, which he could possibly pass up with a 4 for 4 night and an HR.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from oscars. Show oscars's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Hey, BILL-806 has been busy, ya know , I do work .......  As DAD would say...... "SON, STATS are good, but it is what are you doing tonight that counts" !!!  At this level, both teams need to bring their "A-GAME" or wait for the other team to make a MISTAKE" !!!   And that is what this entire playoff & W S has been about !!

Papi's hitting .730 boof head billy, and has the best WS batting average EVER, for hitters with at lesat 50 ABs.

Your next post should go something like ths" I'm a idiot who makes stupid proclamations about Papi, and I am truly sorry fellow posters for my negative nelly dim witted posts"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Papi's hitting .730 boof head billy, and has the best WS batting average EVER, for hitters with at lesat 50 ABs.

Your next post should go something like ths" I'm a idiot who makes stupid proclamations about Papi, and I am truly sorry fellow posters for my negative nelly dim witted posts"

Even if he ever said this, he'd quickly follow it up with something about Papi about to get hurt or going into a steep decline next year, or he needs to make room for the "next Carlton Fisk".

Nothing Papi can do to change BILL and softy's views.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I think we all now agree the OP is totally out to lunch, and it has taken just one ignominious postseason to show how weak a hitter Drew is.  This was about him, wasn't it? 

As for the other guy, the DH/1B, he is ridiculous.  And it ain't luck.  He sees the ball, and he hits it, squarely, the most difficult skill in all of sports. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Huh?

Sections
Shortcuts