Ortiz weighs in:“It’s not like I’m anybody’s baby sitter; it’s the front office’s job to let them know.’’

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Re: Ortiz weighs in:“It’s not like I’m anybody’s baby sitter; it’s the front office’s job...

“It’s not like I’m anybody’s baby sitter. I know we’ve got rules and I know we’ve got to follow those rules. If we have guys not doing that, it’s the front office’s job to let them know.’’

I totally disagree. Papi's statement is one of passing the buck and saying straight up, that he is not a leader on this team. He is a cheerleader during good times only.

No it is not the job of the front office to be the first to address behavior like drinking beer before and/or during games. It is a) the manager b) coaching staff and c) any player.....Tek where are you?....who has the cajones to get in Beckett's face.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Re: Ortiz weighs in:“It’s not like I’m anybody’s baby sitter; it’s the front office’s job...

In Response to Re: Ortiz weighs in:“It’s not like I’m anybody’s baby sitter; it’s the front office’s job to let them know.’’:
    “It’s not like I’m anybody’s baby sitter. I know we’ve got rules and I know we’ve got to follow those rules. If we have guys not doing that, it’s the front office’s job to let them know.’’ I totally disagree. Papi's statement is one of passing the buck and saying straight up, that he is not a leader on this team. He is a cheerleader during good times only. No it is not the job of the front office to be the first to address behavior like drinking beer before and/or during games. It is a) the manager b) coaching staff and c) any player.....Tek where are you?....who has the cajones to get in Beckett's face.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor

Definitely agree with you that a veteran player like Ortiz is a likely candidate to say something to the other players that he believes just isn't right.  Also agree that if not Ortiz, someone like Varitek may have tried to help the situation. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

THe negative comments here about Papi may well be off the mark.

He said he tried to do all he could.

But he didn't narc on his teammates.

He has to live with the relationships involved ... and so the real policy police ARE the front office.

In no way does he say he did not SPEAK to the people breaking the rules ... he just said he wasn't responsible for their behavior or the policing of it.  He is right on both counts.

These are grown men.  To blame another grown man for trying to set up the effort on the team and not point fingers and ruin any chance of winning is ludicrous. 

As an organization's legal/by-laws leader, I have found many times that the adults in responsible positions don't take "leadership" or re-direction well.  They do want they want, and the organization suffers for it.  So do the leaders - I left those organizations, eventually and after trying my best to facilitate good, fundamental practices, where the improper wielding of power was used.  As the leader, I got he blame.  As the organization, two failed utterly because they continued on the poor paths chosen.  Two recovered when they realized they had made erroneous choices and did well in the future.

Papi is a team leader, but not by any written, recognized authoritiy.  The others that are misbehaving have at least the same responsibility to get their act together.  At least.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Maybe he can run out ground balls and appear to be interested in doing all he can on the field.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

:o)  Burrito ... funny.

But I don't think that would be too good.  That 36 year old body isn't used to that effort.  I am not even trying to be snotty. 

He has allowed himself to become just a DH.  Which is all we wanted of him, except in inter-league games.

I think he really would have been washed up if he was playing infield ... but what do I know?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Ortiz weighs in:“It’s not like I’m anybody’s baby sitter; it’s the front office’s job to let them know.’’:
    THe negative comments here about Papi may well be off the mark.   He said he tried to do all he could.   But he didn't narc on his teammates.   He has to live with the relationships involved ... and so the real policy police ARE the front office.   In no way does he say he did not SPEAK to the people breaking the rules ... he just said he wasn't responsible for their behavior or the policing of it.  He is right on both counts.   These are grown men.  To blame another grown man for trying to set up the effort on the team and not point fingers and ruin any chance of winning is ludicrous.    As an organization's legal/by-laws leader, I have found many times that the adults in responsible positions don't take "leadership" or re-direction well.  They do want they want, and the organization suffers for it.  So do the leaders - I left those organizations, eventually and after trying my best to facilitate good, fundamental practices, where the improper wielding of power was used.  As the leader, I got he blame.  As the organization, two failed utterly because they continued on the poor paths chosen.  Two recovered when they realized they had made erroneous choices and did well in the future.   Papi is a team leader, but not by any written, recognized authoritiy.  The others that are misbehaving have at least the same responsibility to get their act together.  At least.   
    Posted by SinceYaz

Agree, and overblown. When Damon & the Idiots had a couple of shots of whisky during the 2004 PS; it showed they had swagger, now it's just an excuse to find every little thing to point to; if the clubhouse was dry, I don't believe it would have mattered one bit; also, here's guessing this happens on every team, before, during, and after. See Mantle & Ruth.

This tidbit is a distraction from the real systemic issues for the 2011 Red Sox.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

He has allowed himself to become just a DH. Posted by SinceYaz

You are correct there. It doesn't look like Ortiz is really interested in anything but DH. He did do a pretty nice job of that this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Maybe he can run out ground balls and appear to be interested in doing all he can on the field.
    Posted by BurritoT

Those 2 weeks off for bursitis in his heel, I'm sure Papi was enduring horrible, horrible pain. He's a class act to follow team doctor advice and take that paid vacation. As it must be hard to get 4 at bats a game, and jog anyway whether it's before his "bursitis" or after. Tough life for Big Papi. Team guy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I realize I am in the minority but I think over the last 3-4 years he has become more arrogant and less jovial, selfish really. I could be very wrong as I never see the guy outside of a flat screen, either way I just as soon we let him walk if he won't come back for -10 million and only one year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

I don't agree with Ortiz as it being the front office to take care of problems.  There is nothing better than teammates correcting bad behavior.  Everyone on the team has to respect each other. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Precisely why a lack of a "Players Only Meeting" with guys like Tek/Wakefield/Ortiz/Beckett on the roster is mind-numbing...No one cared when it was all said and done. Maybe Pedroia/Ellsbury and a few others, but in all honesty, just a team of 25 cabs apparently.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

When we were "smoking in the boy's room" (I know that dates me) ... 

we didn't narc.  I didn't smoke, but it was the teachers' job to catch "us".  

If it was something truly dangerous, that might have been different (Though smoking is dangerous, just not immediate....) 

I do find it amazing that there seems to be a disconnect from the team by certain players when they aren't playing, but even that is conjecture.  That disconnect would surely show itself as such if someone was drinking in their off day. 

Whose to know Terry DID NOT address this and at that point found little support ...

He had handled Manny as well as anyone could.  If you doubt me, see how long and how well he lasted after leaving Boston ... Manny fully expected to play another 5 or 6 years and reach 600 HRs ... oh yeah?  Only Tito helped hold this fella in place.  In CHAMPIONSHIP FORM, I mean.

If the FO didn't support Tito in the clubhouse issues, what else could he do but wash his hands of it?

If the FO did choose to turn their collective back on Tito's leadership, what more could he do?

All statements based on the conjecture out there right now.

Like Schultzie, I really, know nothing....

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

:o)

That's my boy!

Do remember, he got goodies all the time!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

since when did Papi become a team leader? He said nothing when Youk/Manny had that altercation, he said nothing when manny threw a senior citizen to the ground for not having enough free tickets for him, he said nothing when manny was dogging the entire team trying to get traded (his worst moment imo), and his own press conference regarding his drug test was laughable if you judge it for candor/honesty....

Papi has always been about him and his friends - he's not a leader

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Posted by BurritoT

Touche.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nenolan. Show nenolan's posts

In order to impose fines and enforcing rules of the clubhouse I believe the FO has to intervene. Henry & Co are guilty of babying the big name stars on this team. It starts from the top and leaves the manager's hands tied if he is not supported in these practices. So much for Theo's idea that other players are going to step up. There is only so much another player can do without ownership doing the same.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

A couple of thoughts:

1) Maybe this sheds some light on Papi's Aceves comment - could it be that Aceves was not one of the guys drinking in the club-house and his comment was meant to dress down the guys who were not acting responsibly, rather than show up his manager?  I thought at the time he was trying to assert leadership, but the result was a little clumsy.

2) How much leverage would Ortiz have to confront a guy with a five-year contract when his own is up in a month?  Would you listen to one of your co-workers telling you to shape up if he had one foot out the door?  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Ortiz is more the problem than the solution.

He's copping out with that front office remark.

He was quick enough to jump into Tito's press conference when he thought he'd lost an RBI to the official scorer.

Let him walk -- and if he thinks he's still a baseball player, let him try to find a job in the National League, where players have to actually play ball to make their money. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

He shouldn't be back. 

Go watch Moneyball and see what Billy Beane did to Jeremy Giambi and Carlos Pena. Unfortunately the partying players on this team (Beckett for example) can just be traded and let go.

They are a bunch of fat cats.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

It's not etched in stone that Ortiz will be back but if so, he won't be getting a long term deal at the age of 36.   The team will want to protect itself from any further bad contracts.      At his age, his hitting skill could take a plunge in one year.
    He should consider himself lucky if the Sox offer him a 1-year deal at decent money and a [team] option for a 2nd year.
    It's still funny watching him run down the first base line like he was headed for the electric chair.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

He shouldn't be back.  Go watch Moneyball and see what Billy Beane did to Jeremy Giambi and Carlos Pena. Unfortunately the partying players on this team (Beckett for example) can just be traded and let go. They are a bunch of fat cats.
    Posted by ADG
    How many championships has Billy Beane won again? I forget. Billy Beane really hasn' done much since Mulder, Hudson and Zito and his steroid boys Tejeda and Giambi moved on has he?

As for Ortiz, he is not a lock by any means to be back. If he isn't it will because others value his services at this point more, have the budget to play with and are willing to take the risk of his decline during a contract.

And I do think it is fair to say that Ortiz over the years has become more myopic and doesn't filter what he says to a media just waiting to turn any quote into controversy.

But the "anger" towards a lot of folks right now is not just ill founded but does not speak well for a fan base that thinks it is smarter than everyone else's fans.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

When you bring in talent - you have to make sure you get talent that is driven to excellence.

Pedro was th ebest picher in baseball - but he was still driven to excellence.

Clowns like Beckett are not driven to excellence.  He's a "good enough, let's party" type.

Papi's role is not to change Beckett.

I think some of teh "stars" that Theo has brought in have turned out to be talented losers.  I may even ionclude Adrian Gonzalez in that group.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

He seems to bear some sort of a grudge against the Sox...maybe the way they handled his last contract and the short length of it has gotten to him.  You don't see the smiles and laughter all the time in the dugout anymore and when he does have something to say - it just seems to come across negative instead of positive regardless of the subject.  Also knowing about the problems and doing nothing to correct them makes him a part of the problem.

Sections
Shortcuts