Ortiz

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

Ortiz

Offer him the deal everyone is reporting ( the 2 year 25 million, give or take). If he takes it great. If not move on. Every day it's "close" to a deal then "deal not close". The Sox need this order of business completed. No need to drag it on. Ortiz is nuts if he thinks he will get more elsewhere. If he insists on squeezing Boston for every last dime, let him go.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Ortiz

David Ortiz has made over $98 M over his major league career. He has been a great player for the RS and a great ambassador for the game. I do believe Ortiz can continue to play after the achilles injury and probably do okay--I would not expect strong power numbers unless he plays at Yankee Stadium as a Yankee. I would tell him if he doesn't like the final offer--try for better--we won't make a qualifying offer and we won't expect compensation. Hope he comes back but understand if he doesn't.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

If Ortiz feels offended and thinks he can make more money, he can go test free agency and see what he gets. It will be very clear to him that the Red Sox are offering him the most money of any team. 

But if he thinks otherwise, test free agency Sir David.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

He won't get anywhere near 2 or 25 anywhere else. It's foolish for the Sox to even offer that.

29 other teams would offer about 1 and 8. If anything at all for a 37 year old who blew out his ankle running the bases.

He has not been, has never shown the ability to be a good leader in the clubhouse, so you don't overpay for that either when it doesn't exist.

Personally...time to move on. This has been an off-season circus for 4 straight years. How have those past 4 years ended? Right. Where are Ortiz' priorities? Right.

SEE YA!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to tripleb2066's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Offer him the deal everyone is reporting ( the 2 year 25 million, give or take). If he takes it great. If not move on. Every day it's "close" to a deal then "deal not close". The Sox need this order of business completed. No need to drag it on. Ortiz is nuts if he thinks he will get more elsewhere. If he insists on squeezing Boston for every last dime, let him go.

[/QUOTE]

Agents are the ones doing all the squeezing.Thats why they make the big bucks.Players don't worry about deals ,they pay people to do that for them.When your talking millions it's not like asking for a 75 cent raise.The process of contracts are not that simple. I want 30 mil for two years ... OK....Here's your money..... Only if us normal people could have agents ...lol

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Sorry to disappoint you all,but Ortiz will have a new 2 year deal with the Sox within the next 48 hours.I know you hate that he's returning with his team leading .318 batting average and 1.026 OPS,as well as having 56 walks in his 90 games,which also led the team BY FAR.I'm sure you'll cringe as he continues to blast HRs and drive in game winning RBIs.

But,despite how wrong you are,at least you'll have him to hate for the next 2 years,so that will give you something to complain about.That should make you happy. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sorry to disappoint you all,but Ortiz will have a new 2 year deal with the Sox within the next 48 hours.I know you hate that he's returning with his team leading .318 batting average and 1.026 OPS,as well as having 56 walks in his 90 games,which also led the team BY FAR.I'm sure you'll cringe as he continues to blast HRs and drive in game winning RBIs.

But,despite how wrong you are,at least you'll have him to hate for the next 2 years,so that will give you something to complain about.That should make you happy. 

[/QUOTE]

Yup, that lineup was some kind of scary without Ortiz playing, wasn't it?

I don't get why people are in such a hurry to ship him out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

FIRST OF ALL, HE WILL STILL PUT UP SAME NUMBERS WITHIN THE NEXT TWO YEARS...BUT THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IS THAT WILL HE PLAY FOR THE WHOLE SEASON DUE HIS ACHILLES PROBLEMS?

THAT IS MY CONERN!!!  GIVE HIM ONE YEAR DEAL.....PLEASE!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

FIRST OF ALL, HE WILL STILL PUT UP SAME NUMBERS WITHIN THE NEXT TWO YEARS...BUT THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IS THAT WILL HE PLAY FOR THE WHOLE SEASON DUE HIS ACHILLES PROBLEMS?

[/QUOTE]

Ok, so who replaces him?

Another team will give him him a two year deal.

It just may not be for what he's currently asking.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Will anyone put up the same numbers for the next 2 years?Of course it's a gamble signing him for 2 years,but it's a gamble signing anybody for an extended contract.Look at what happened with Carl Crawford.Even missing as many games as he did,Ortiz still lead the Red Sox in many offensive categories.

Also,it's not like he's injury prone.Over the last 5 seasons he's averaged  128 games a year.That includes 2 years missing time with injury and games he sat because of interleague play.If he is able to,he'll be in the game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Would you rather have a washed up A-Rod for 5 more years that the Yankees still owe $115 million or Ortiz for just 2 more years

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

David Ortiz has made over $98 M over his major league career. He has been a great player for the RS and a great ambassador for the game. I do believe Ortiz can continue to play after the achilles injury and probably do okay--I would not expect strong power numbers unless he plays at Yankee Stadium as a Yankee. I would tell him if he doesn't like the final offer--try for better--we won't make a qualifying offer and we won't expect compensation. Hope he comes back but understand if he doesn't.

[/QUOTE]

Oh, Id make the qualifying offer at 13.3mm...Hed be worth that for 1 year or a draft pick if he leaves.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He won't get anywhere near 2 or 25 anywhere else. It's foolish for the Sox to even offer that.

29 other teams would offer about 1 and 8. If anything at all for a 37 year old who blew out his ankle running the bases.

He has not been, has never shown the ability to be a good leader in the clubhouse, so you don't overpay for that either when it doesn't exist.

Personally...time to move on. This has been an off-season circus for 4 straight years. How have those past 4 years ended? Right. Where are Ortiz' priorities? Right.

SEE YA!

[/QUOTE]

Will Middlebrooks and a few others would argue that point...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

David Ortiz is likely to join the free agent market on Saturday, according to an anonymous source quoted by Rob Bradford at WEEI:

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21237816/source-ortiz-likely-hit-open-market

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Nick Cafardo@nickcafardo

Sox-Ortiz hope to bridge modest gap on contract next 24 hours.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The roundup of reports:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/11/red-sox-ortiz-nearing-two-year-deal.html

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The incompetent Cherry only needs to make a CBA qualifying offer of about 13M (that's at least 5 to 7M over the market base) and add an option year with a 2M option buyout. Ortiz will have no choice but to accept it, as there is no market for anything close to that, even over 2 years.

[/QUOTE]

you cant add an option year to a qualifying offer...Are you saying you would offer him a 2 yr deal at 13mm per with a 2mm buyout on the 2nd year?

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I am not surprise that Papi is going to test the market cuz I strongly think Papi is asking for 2yrs/for more than 28mm (14mm a year).  Sound like Papi is now becoming greedy!!

Forget it.  We all never know what he got left in him especially his achilles problems!!

Give him 1 years for 14 mm or 2 years for 25mm.....take it or walk away!!

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Ok, so who replaces him?

Another team will give him him a two year deal.

It just may not be for what he's currently asking.

Who are you...Borass? Who's this mystery team(s) that would offer more than a year?

The Yankees who are crying about luxury tax?

The Angels as they shed salary?

PHI as they try and move Lee because of money?

Texas is about the ONLY team that historically has spent some money and isn't try to free up cash. Sure, if he want to go to TB, they'd be happy to offer 2/10 (total).

25. This post has been removed.