Oswalt to Cardinals, does Ben still go for a SP?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

Oswalt to Cardinals, does Ben still go for a SP?

Orioles could sign E Jackson.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Oswalt to Cardinals, does Ben still go for a SP?

If St. Louis signs Roy Oswalt, would the Cardinals try to trade one of Chris Carpenter, Adam Wainwright, Jaime Garcia, Kyle Lohse or Jake Westbrook?

Would the Red Sox be interested in any of those starters? If so, whom could the Sox offer in trade?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Oswalt to Cardinals, does Ben still go for a SP?:
    [QUOTE]If St. Louis signs Roy Oswalt, would the Cardinals try to trade one of Chris Carpenter, Adam Wainwright, Jaime Garcia, Kyle Lohse or Jake Westbrook? Would the Red Sox be interested in any of those starters? If so, whom could the Sox offer in trade?
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Interesting list. What do the Cards really need?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Bobby V. said last night that adding another starter for his rotation is not a high priority for him, at all.  He likes what he has.  Why not just go to camp with roster and (perhaps) payroll flexibility and see how it all shakes out?  I'd rather that than give up three good prospects for Floyd.  If July comes around and Dice-K is not ready to come back and really help the rotation, then you pull the trigger on a trade.  Yeah, you overpay, but you also know better who looks like they fit in your long range plans better.

Perhaps the Sox will target a SS if Oswalt and Jackson turn them down, rather than target Floyd?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

[QUOTE]Bobby V. said last night that adding another starter for his rotation is not a high priority for him, at all.  He likes what he has.  Why not just go to camp with roster and (perhaps) payroll flexibility and see how it all shakes out?  I'd rather that than give up three good prospects for Floyd.  If July comes around and Dice-K is not ready to come back and really help the rotation, then you pull the trigger on a trade.  Yeah, you overpay, but you also know better who looks like they fit in your long range plans better. Perhaps the Sox will target a SS if Oswalt and Jackson turn them down, rather than target Floyd?
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

exactly..i think padilla will be a good #5...but i kind of want one of oswalt or jackson...but i can live with padilla...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

[QUOTE]If St. Louis signs Roy Oswalt, would the Cardinals try to trade one of Chris Carpenter, Adam Wainwright, Jaime Garcia, Kyle Lohse or Jake Westbrook? Would the Red Sox be interested in any of those starters? If so, whom could the Sox offer in trade?
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

i don't understand why the cardinals would want to sign oswalt with a staff like that...it's silly to sign him....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oswalt to Cardinals, does Ben still go for a SP? : i don't understand why the cardinals would want to sign oswalt with a staff like that...it's silly to sign him....
    Posted by raider3524[/QUOTE] Depth they don't have Albert to bail them out anymore.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I don't see how signing Oswalt helps replace Albert.  Signing Fielder would have done that, but signing Oswalt seems like a move to keep him out of the hands of the competition more than a move to improve their rotation.  And does Oswalt just want to be depth, or to enter a competition for the 5th spot in the rotation?  Maybe he will he sign with an agreement that a trade will be made to open up a spot for him in the rotation?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

I have to think the Cardinals want to keep the first 3.

I could live with a Kyle Lohse/Bobby Jenks swap....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oswalt to Cardinals, does Ben still go for a SP? : I have to think the Cardinals want to keep the first 3. I could live with a Kyle Lohse/Bobby Jenks swap....
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]
    Kyle Lohse, who has a full no-trade clause, is coming off a 14-win season in which the righthander posted a 3.39 ERA in 30 starts.

What does Bobby Jenks bring to the table (other than a 2012 salary $5.875 million less than Lohse's)?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oswalt to Cardinals, does Ben still go for a SP? : Kyle Lohse, who has a full no-trade clause, is coming off a 14-win season in which the righthander posted a 3.39 ERA in 30 starts. What does Bobby Jenks bring to the table (other than a 2012 salary $5.875 million less than Lohse's)?
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

1) The aforementioned cost savings.

2) The deal opens a spot in the rotation for St. Louis.

3) Lohse shouldn't be judged solely on his 2011 performance. No mention of 2010? And while his AL experience was a long time ago, I actually doubt Lohse has gotten all that much better since then.

Also, we are talking about Bobby Jenks.  The table is one place he always shows up prepared...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oswalt to Cardinals, does Ben still go for a SP? : Kyle Lohse, who has a full no-trade clause, is coming off a 14-win season in which the righthander posted a 3.39 ERA in 30 starts. What does Bobby Jenks bring to the table (other than a 2012 salary $5.875 million less than Lohse's)?
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

C'mon now, Bobby Jenks is legendary at buffets throughout the country for what he brings to the table.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Gordon Edes is reporting deal with Cardinals is done.  It is in the $5 - 10 Million dollar range.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Question now is which starter gets to boot from Cards rotation.  Westbrook and Lohse both have big money contracts and no-trade clauses.  I'm not too impressed with St. Louis's FO dealings this winter.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

man, this is bad news - I really believed that Oswalt, along with healthy players again, could get us into the playoffs -  even with our AL rivals getting stronger this hot stove

:(

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I agree, Georom.  The Sox best chance at the playoffs was if Oswalt joined the rotation and pitched with a healthy back.  That would have made the rotation better than the Yankees, IMO.

This also means that Borazz has that much more leverage in any deal for Jackson the Sox might be trying to finalize.

Time to cut bait and go to spring training as is, IMO.  See how things shape up with what they have...plenty of arms, plenty of questions to be answered.  Keep the payroll and roster flexibility.

Oh, and maybe add a SS to the mix.  Will Tampa Bay be DFAing any of theirs?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Glimmer of hope.  MLBTR.com is reporting that Edes' source cautions deal is "not 100%" done.  But, Oswalt apparently wants to stay close to his Mississippi home, and turned down $10 million from the Tigers!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

wheres the hope????...the Tigers offered 2x as much....he's not coming here....i really dont understand the Scutaro trade now....

dumb

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

This is starting to remind me of the early Dan Duquette years, with Dwayne Hosey, Rudy Pemberton, Troy O'Leary, Ramon Martinez, Kent Mercker, Derrek Livernois. All were throaways from other teams. The only on who was okay was Troy O'Leary for a little while.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

O'Leary was a steal. 

Ramon Martinez was OK, and at least he was good at beating the Yankees.

You also forgot about Bret Saberhagen...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

[QUOTE]wheres the hope????...the Tigers offered 2x as much....he's not coming here....i really dont understand the Scutaro trade now.... dumb
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

therefore, the BUT.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Rumor from another thread is that Scutaro and Valentine did not get along.

If that is NOT the case, then the Scutaro trade only makes sense to me if the Sox end up under the tax threshold, which some say they are already above, others say Ortiz should put them over, and for sure Oswalt would have put them over.

Why not sign Harden to an incentive laden deal?  I'm not sure of his current health status, but if healthy he could help that rotation almost as much as Oswalt would have.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Come to the conclusion that this team will contend but not going to run away with anything. Without a descent starter not the throwaways that Young Dan is rolling out there alla early Dan Duquette, this team will miss the playoffs. They unfortunately did nothing to help their starting pitching alleviating the injuries to the starting staff. Other teams have improved the Sox have not. I am wondering if Henry plans on selling the team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Right he was okay in 1997 pretty much done in 1999. He killed us in the playoffs against the Indians when he could not make it out of the third inning and Pedro Martinez had to come in and throw 6 innings of relief. That inability  of him to get further in the game hurt us with Pedro unable to pitch several times against the Yankees.

[QUOTE]O'Leary was a steal.  Ramon Martinez was OK, and at least he was good at beating the Yankees. You also forgot about Bret Saberhagen...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts