Oswalt to Cardinals, does Ben still go for a SP?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Oswalt to Cardinals, does Ben still go for a SP?

In Response to Re: Oswalt to Cardinals, does Ben still go for a SP?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oswalt to Cardinals, does Ben still go for a SP? : , IF you read my comments, all I wanted was a durable 4th starter.  That is what I said.  I question the viability of the pitching as it stands today. I  did not say blow up the team, did I?
    Posted by LeftyGrove[/QUOTE]

Bard's #4.  Should be good for 160 IPs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oswalt to Cardinals, does Ben still go for a SP? : Bard's #4.  Should be good for 160 IPs.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

that would be nice,wouldnt it?
    aviles/Iggy combine for better defense and hitting than Marco...
    paps is not missed...
    and the players all get slimmer, healthier, and more serious....

Bobby V has a lot on his plate....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]Aviles is going to hit better than .300? Umm... Aviles hit .317 with Boston last year and Scoot never has. Scoot's career average with Boston is .284, and he's getting older.  Aviles has a career BA of .288, and he is still in his prime window.  I suppose he is going to win the Gold Glove at ss next year too... Not even close, but he's certainly a better fielder than Scoot. the sox moved reddick to get Bailey to replace him for Paps, who they let walk because they didnt want to pay him..... You really think Paps was worth more than $50M/4? losing two starters last yr to sign up a guy who isnt as good as the guy he replaces? Huh? the bootlicking here just gets crazier and crazier...stop the spinning please.. You're spinning and spinning out of control.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

To georom...

...YEAH, WHAT HE SAID!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oswalt to Cardinals, does Ben still go for a SP? : that would be nice,wouldnt it? aviles/Iggy combine for better defense and hitting than Marco... paps is not missed... and the players all get slimmer, healthier, and more serious.... Bobby V has a lot on his plate....
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

He does, geo, and I understand your deep concerns. I am not overly optimistic about our chances this year, but I do not think it's not very unreasonable to just a few of the following things might happen that will help un improve on our 2011 season and at least make the playoffs and give us a chance...

1) The 100+ innings by Bailey and Melancon will equalize the loss of 60 IP by Paps.
    2) Youk finally has a healthy season and returns to a .900+ OPS.
    3) Salty (at the age VTek came of age) matures.
    4) Aviles/Iggy do as well or better than Scutty/Lowrie.
    5) CC returns to about his career norm.
    6) Ross (900+ vs LHPs) and Sweeney (.780+ vs RHPs) will combine to swamp last year's lame RF offense.
    7) Buch starts 28+ games and pitches like 2010.
    8) We pick up a 4th starter that blows Lackey's '11 out of the water.
    9) One to three of these guys do better than Wake, Miller, Weiland:
          Bard, Aceves, Silva, Padilla, Cook, Doubront, AWilson, others...
    10) The half more season by these guys helps: 
          Dice-K, Morales, and Tazawa

We may only see 3 or 4 of these things come true, but that may be enough. 5 or 6 and we should be a playoff favorite. 7-8 and I think we can win a ring. 8-9 and we are faves.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]The Cardinals need a crowd-pleaser position player to keep their minds off losing Pujols - how about Ellsbury for Wainwright & Shelby Miller?
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

No, they need Matt Holliday to wake up...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oswalt to Cardinals, does Ben still go for a SP? : No, they need Matt Holliday to wake up...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Wake up from what?  He's been exactly the same with the Cards as he was with the Rockies.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Holiday was the guy we should have signed ... then we would also have avoided CC and had our RH'd bat.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Was going to post a similar sentiment.  We would not be talking about the tax threshold if the Sox had Holiday, as opposed to Crawford.  And the Sox might never have signed Lackey, either.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Was going to post a similar sentiment.  We would not be talking about the tax threshold if the Sox had Holiday, as opposed to Crawford.  And the Sox might never have signed Lackey, either.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

I said it at the time also, so this isn't Monday morning QB'ing. The deal was a bit too long, but that's the price you pay for big name FAs. He's a decent fielder and the big RH'd bat we have needed.

We'd have had millions from the CC differential, and a much better line-up.

vs RHPs
    1) Ells
    2) Pedey
    3) AGon
    4) Holliday
    5) Papi
    6) Youk
    7) Sweeney/Ross
    8) Salty
    9) Aviles

vs LHPs
    1) Ells
    2) Pedey
    3) AGon
    4) Holliday
    5) Youk
    6) Papi
    7) Ross
    8) Aviles
    9) Shopp

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oswalt to Cardinals, does Ben still go for a SP? : There are one of two outcomes with Ellsbury:  1) He performs at or above his 2011 level over the next two years or 2) His performance drops off.  If the latter, we lost an opportunity to get a substantial return.  If the former, we have at best 2 years of his service.  Do you really think the Sox will outbid teams that need LH hitters, and speed, and would slot Ellsbury in the #3 hole, where his SLG is more important than his OBP?  
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]
    The Sox need the services of Ellsbury right now. 
    The future will take care of itself.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Do you really think the Sox will outbid teams that need LH hitters, and speed, and would slot Ellsbury in the #3 hole, where his SLG is more important than his OBP?  

Slo,

1) I wouldn't say SLG trumps OBP in the 3 slot, though it is more important than in the 1 slot.

2) By the time Ells becomes a FA, we will be in need of a 3 slot hitter as Papi and Youk will most likely be gone, and AGon may be better suited as a 4 slot guy by then.

That being said, I think Ells walks, not so much because we can't or won't outbid other teams, but because Ells will want to walk away from his unpleasant situation here.