Oswalt Will Be Good Garza Even Better

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FantaSox. Show FantaSox's posts

Oswalt Will Be Good Garza Even Better

It seemed that during the Theo years Mr. Henry and Co. were the leading organization. All of a sudden those deep pockets are empty. One move will convince the nation that the owners are still the champions of MLB. Garza I remember so many times when he went up against the likes of Lester and Becket and Sabathia and he was victorious. Garza with Boston will be a number one and with injuries these days who can guarantee the Sox top three will be healthy? The Way i see it the Cubs and Theo owe the Sox a comp. Give them Raunado Oscar teheda and Colbrin Vitek. The owners can take care the cash we should not go from leading organization to allowing the Rays and others to streak ahead. Common Mr. Henry bring a smile on Red Sox Nation and get Garza from Theo who took advantage of your kind generosity.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: Oswalt Will Be Good Garza Even Better

"Allowing the Rays to streak ahead" Really?  Where have you been the past 2 years?  Garza isn't coming to Boston, unless the Cubs (or other team that Garza is dealt too) happen to play in Fenway.  He filed for $12.5 in arb and has lost a tremendous about of trade value since the fillings information became public.  He doesn't come close to fitting into the Sox budget.  You can argue till you're blue in the face that the budget should be raised, but that isn't going to change anything.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Oswalt: OK
    Garza: Better
    Floyd: Best

For all the luxury tax experts, here's a question:

If we trade for Floyd, what's the salary hit for tax purposes?

$3.9M  (Contract $15.5M/4 with 2 years left)
    or
    $7M (His 2012 salary as 2013 is a club option year)
    or 
    $8.25M ($7M in 2012 + $9.5M club option '13 = $16.5/2)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FantaSox. Show FantaSox's posts

The Red Sox owners have money and they can get Garza if they wanted. Garza is a stud he beat Lester Becket Sabathia when he faced them. It is so depressing to hear Red Sox fans talk about the luxury tax about the budget etc. The owners will get all that money back if they get Garza. If the objective is to save a few milion while the Rays field a better team than the Sox three years in a row. If thats the kind of team we want than the future is not too bright. Sox owners have the money to continue to lead and not to regress because Theo decided to jump ship.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stodknocker. Show stodknocker's posts

In Response to Re: Oswalt Will Be Good Garza Even Better:
    [QUOTE]   The Red Sox owners have money and they can get Garza if they wanted. Garza is a stud he beat Lester Becket Sabathia when he faced them. It is so depressing to hear Red Sox fans talk about the luxury tax about the budget etc. The owners will get all that money back if they get Garza. If the objective is to save a few milion while the Rays field a better team than the Sox three years in a row. If thats the kind of team we want than the future is not too bright. Sox owners have the money to continue to lead and not to regress because Theo decided to jump ship.
    Posted by FantaSox[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Garza was a beast AGAINST the Sox when he played but he has continually stumbled when playing the rest of the AL East. He has consistenly been owned by the Yankees and I feel for the money, we could get someone much better.

I say go for Floyd! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

moonslav i would have to disagree with your analysis of oswalt, garza and floyd. garza would no doubt be the best, followed by a tie between floyd and oswalt. And ya i am curious to know what floyds luxury tax hit is for this upcoming season. I have heard some people say that it is 3.5 or 3.75 million and others that it is 7.5 or 8. If floyds luxury tax hit is 3.5 or 3.75 then he would be our 2nd best option which would push oswalt to 3rd best. If however he makes the same as what oswalt would cost, then it remain a tie. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

moonslav i would have to disagree with your analysis of oswalt, garza and floyd. garza would no doubt be the best, followed by a tie between floyd and oswalt. And ya i am curious to know what floyds luxury tax hit is for this upcoming season. I have heard some people say that it is 3.5 or 3.75 million and others that it is 7.5 or 8. If floyds luxury tax hit is 3.5 or 3.75 then he would be our 2nd best option which would push oswalt to 3rd best. If however he makes the same as what oswalt would cost, then it remain a tie. 

The rumors are that Garza will cost better propsects and more money than Floyd.

If Floyd's tax hit is $3.9M, we could afford him and Oswalt for the same money as Garza, and we'd keep better prospects. I think Garza might be better than Floyd, but his salary will be more.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I think as far as eating innings,prospects and Tax, Gavin Floyd is my 1st choice. Second choice and someone not getting much play, was my second lefty originally behind Paul Maholm--Wandy Rodriguez.  

I know the Astros would like to move Wandy--the Sox have Alex Wilson, a Texas product, I'd hate to see him go but if he would knock the price off a bit or Felix Doubrount, who's out of options. Perhaps the Stro's would eat more salary for this season if you included a couple of more prospects.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Oswalt will bring WS trophy to this team in 2012 if he signs with the Sox.  He had some injury issue last season but until then, Oswalt started 30 or more games for more than 6 straight seasons.  mentioned as CY award winner most of his career.  two times 20 games winner. 

Even though he started to show that he's aging a bit, he will be the mentor in our rotation.  I think he will be our #3 guy and have better than 60% winning percentage for this team. 

The guy is trying to prove himself on one year deal at half of salary he used to get.  He's serious.  Give him a chance!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

[QUOTE]I think as far as eating innings,prospects and Tax, Gavin Floyd is my 1st choice. Second choice and someone not getting much play, was my second lefty originally behind Paul Maholm--Wandy Rodriguez.   I know the Astros would like to move Wandy--the Sox have Alex Wilson, a Texas product, I'd hate to see him go but if he would knock the price off a bit or Felix Doubrount, who's out of options. Perhaps the Stro's would eat more salary for this season if you included a couple of more prospects.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

I don't think Wandy's salary would be a good fit with this year's Red Sox plan.  I've also been convinced by others on here that Floyd is a good choice, and given the price I think all things considered he's the better choice than Garza.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Garza would be my first choice, as he is AL east tested, but Jenks would have to be in the deal financially.  I believe Floyd would only be  $3.9m hit, but this is just off my memory, not true knowledge.  If it is $3.9m...then he is a close second.  Oswalt and his injury history scare me, as well as his NL history.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

It was speculated all last week that Cody Ross and Oswalt are the Sox targets,well last night half of the speculation came true as Ross signed on with the Sox for 3m and incentives.So that only leaves Oswalt for the pundits to get it right....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I would say stick with signing Oswalt.....one year deal.....reasonable number. Why give up top prospects for Garza or Floyd? I would save those bullets for the possible need to make a mid season acquisition....who knows if Beckett or Buchholz may go down and need replacing. Except for the injury concern(which is muted by a one year deal)...Garza and Floys arent in Oswalts league....besides saving the prospects....you also save long term Salary flexibility to go hard after Cole Hamels next year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Oswalt: OK Garza: Better Floyd: Best For all the luxury tax experts, here's a question: If we trade for Floyd, what's the salary hit for tax purposes? $3.9M  (Contract $15.5M/4 with 2 years left) or $7M (His 2012 salary as 2013 is a club option year) or  $8.25M ($7M in 2012 + $9.5M club option '13 = $16.5/2)
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I answered on another thread, but it will be $3.9M this year and $9.5M next (assuming the option is picked up).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oswalt Will Be Good Garza Even Better : I don't think Wandy's salary would be a good fit with this year's Red Sox plan.  I've also been convinced by others on here that Floyd is a good choice, and given the price I think all things considered he's the better choice than Garza.
    Posted by Yukon-Cornelius[/QUOTE]

Houston has said they will pay part of Wandy's deal, but will probably take the deal that saves them the most. I think he's a July deal waiting to happen.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oswalt Will Be Good Garza Even Better : Houston has said they will pay part of Wandy's deal, but will probably take the deal that saves them the most. I think he's a July deal waiting to happen.

That sounds more like it, Moon.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oswalt Will Be Good Garza Even Better : Houston has said they will pay part of Wandy's deal, but will probably take the deal that saves them the most. I think he's a July deal waiting to happen.

Exactly Moon....another reason not to use prospects now....just sign Oswalt and then if we need another Starter in July due to health reasons for one of our Starters, you have the pieces to get a Wandy or another Starter

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Oswalt has fire and passion in his belly...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Oswalt Will Be Good Garza Even Better": [QUOTE]Oswalt has fire and passion in his belly... Posted by beavis[/QUOTE] It's not the fire and passion in his belly, it's the pain in his back that concerns teams. Patience has been the smart way to go all winter and it still applies, especially with Jackson still out there. The Sox don't HAVE to bring in another starter right now either.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Oswalt Will Be Good Garza Even Better:
    In Response to Re: Oswalt Will Be Good Garza Even Better : Houston has said they will pay part of Wandy's deal, but will probably take the deal that saves them the most. I think he's a July deal waiting to happen.
    Posted by moonslav59

Exactly Moon....another reason not to use prospects now....just sign Oswalt and then if we need another Starter in July due to health reasons for one of our Starters, you have the pieces to get a Wandy or another Starter.

I disagree. The cost in prospects will still be high for Wandy in July and you only get 1/3 of a season.

I still like the deal for Floyd and only a $3.9M payroll hit. However, he saves the CWS $7M this year. It just makes too much sense to both teams not happen.

Sections
Shortcuts