OT: NESN question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

OT: NESN question

Can someone explain to me why fans outside of Boston area zipcode are denied access to NESN broadcasts?  The only thing Dish offers me is a sports package that includes NESN but then tells me I'm outside the zipcode to see anything more than maybe highlights around the league.  Here I sit with all the bells and whistles and can't view but very few Red Sox, Pats, etc. games.  What has a fan gotta do?  I have no control over which cable feed I get - it comes from nearest one which is outside the area.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Re: OT: NESN question

I don't think that DISH carries the MLB Extra Innings Package. DirecTV does. The Sports package will only permit you to get pregame and postgame on NESN.  Your cable operator  or Verizon FIOS might carry MLB Extra Innings. The MLB Extra Innings package costs about $160 per season or only $1 per game. You can also get the games  on MLB-TV over the Internet. Go to MLB.COM ti test out the signal and subscribe.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Most of New England except for a few counties in Western Conn. can get all of the games on NESN on their cable systems. My guess is that you live outside of the NESN territory and live in an area where another MLB team has exclusive rights.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

It's another one of Bud Selig's rules that hurts the common fan.

MLB Extra Innings should get you like 80% of the games but you'll have to deal with a chunk of those games being broadcast on the other team's network.

MLB TV could be a better option - you will need to connect your TV to your internet or just watch on the internet

both options run under $200/yr

There are other options too like using SLINGBOX and hooking it up in the Boston Market.......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from janthefan. Show janthefan's posts

I live in P.A. And have Direct T.V... pay 180.00 dollars for the baseball package. the game comes on about 2 minutes before it starts and goes off as soon as its over.. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

I live in South-Central CT (Wallingford) and get NESN and the Sox games.   But no Celtics on any channel.  Blocked here becasue of the Knicks territory.  What  a POC that is ....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: OT: NESN question:
    [QUOTE]I don't think that DISH carries the MLB Extra Innings Package. DirecTV does. The Sports package will only permit you to get pregame and postgame on NESN.  Your cable operator  or Verizon FIOS might carry MLB Extra Innings. The MLB Extra Innings package costs about $160 per season or only $1 per game. You can also get the games  on MLB-TV over the Internet. Go to MLB.COM ti test out the signal and subscribe.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

I was seriously interested in the MLB package last year but held off.  I was glad I did.  It appears that a number of Red Sox games were blacked out or not available here in the southern Finger Lakes area.  I would have been VERY miffed if I paid more than my cable only to get blocked.  As it is, several of the games I was going to see were blocked even on cable.  (Time Warner)  That really is upsetting.  

Heck, the games in NYC or against the Yanks that were scheduled on YES were even moved to My8 or even another channel.  I know Im slow, but sometimes I found the games and sometimes I didn't.

The NESN is a fair one.  I've been invited to join in on events only to find I cannot get there because my zip code (or whatever) is not in NE.

On the other hand, all things being fair, if I got any more involved than I am now I might just fall off the edge into the abyss of getting lost in this infirmity of being a Sox fan .........

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I live in IL and DirectTV gives me NESN and every Bruins game with the NHL package.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

yeah, am familiar with mlb.com and game day, etc., and my tv has wireless connection to my computer...but haven't tried to stream mlb.tv to my tv...guess can look into that...otherwise, being in deep southeast US, doesn't seem to matter what you are willing to pay - just cant get the NE teams live other than here and there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]yeah, am familiar with mlb.com and game day, etc., and my tv has wireless connection to my computer...but haven't tried to stream mlb.tv to my tv...guess can look into that...otherwise, being in deep southeast US, doesn't seem to matter what you are willing to pay - just cant get the NE teams live other than here and there.
    Posted by michaelsjr[/QUOTE]

If your TV and computer have ethernet ports, buy an ethernet cable and you can stream your mlb-tv into your TV. You can also do it wireless if you can find / remember the password that you used to go wireless with your computer. For most people outside of New England, a DirecTv is the way to go for the best HD 1080 picture.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE] I live in P.A. And have Direct T.V... pay 180.00 dollars for the baseball package. the game comes on about 2 minutes before it starts and goes off as soon as its over.. 
    Posted by janthefan[/QUOTE]

You can also add the Directv Sports Package to your plan ($13 per month) and get the programs by NESN such as pregame, postgame, and other programs outside of live professional sports. You might want to have it only from March (Spring training) through Sept.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to OT: NESN question:
    [QUOTE]Can someone explain to me why fans outside of Boston area zipcode are denied access to NESN broadcasts?  The only thing Dish offers me is a sports package that includes NESN but then tells me I'm outside the zipcode to see anything more than maybe highlights around the league.  Here I sit with all the bells and whistles and can't view but very few Red Sox, Pats, etc. games.  What has a fan gotta do?  I have no control over which cable feed I get - it comes from nearest one which is outside the area.
    Posted by michaelsjr[/QUOTE] You have Dish when you should have Direct TV. If you had Direct TV you simply buy the MLB package and you get the NESN feed with package.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

I use MLB.COM, hook up the computer to the TV, and watch NESN broadcasts, everything except the commercials, although sometimes MLB.com runs their own spots. no pre-game or post game, just the first and last pitch and everything in between. The only curses I throw is at FOX, for dominating Saturday viewing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

You don't even need MLB to get the Sox if you have DirecTV.  
    What you need to do is to tell DirecTV that you want NESN as your "Local Sports Station" and you'll get it.  Not for free, but you'll get it.  :-)

My daughter in FL looked into it but since she would have lost her local programming she opted against it and instead signed up for MLB - and was unhappy about only getting first-pitch-to-last and the local audio feeds.  That seems to be the price one pays.  

Sections
Shortcuts