Our beloved Iggy hits a HR in his first game with the Paw Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Our beloved Iggy hits a HR in his first game with the Paw Sox

Iggy hit a 2 run HR in 3rd inning and it was his only hit for the night.  He did struck out twice.  I hope he does not lose that confidence at the plate and back with the big club soon.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

Re: Our beloved Iggy hits a HR in his first game with the Paw Sox

thanks Ferrell for sending him down you bleeping meat head

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BostonBruinss' comment:

My guess is that Ben was the one who made the final decision.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Hope he keeps it up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Good for him. He'll have his time soon enough. You may not have agreed with the drew signing but you should at least understand why.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

MOON, we certainly miss his glove already.......  (see my thread about giving outs)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

MOON, we certainly miss his glove already.......  (see my thread about giving outs)

Many people are shocked at my claim that Iggy might make 60-100+ more plays over 150 games than Drew.  Every year, the same SSs make 100-120 more plays over the worst ranged SS in MLB. Since it doesn't show up in the mornings box score, it can't count, right?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I hope Iggy returns to the clubhouse very soon.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

why didnt you write a thread about the greatplay he made in his first game here? It goes both ways bill...And moon for that matter...I bet neither of you though Drew would make that play. you might have to adjust your thinking now...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Iggy hit a 2 run HR in 3rd inning and it was his only hit for the night.  He did struck out twice.  I hope he does not lose that confidence at the plate and back with the big club soon.  

If being sent down hurts his confidence enough , then he doesnt have the poise to play in the big leagues yet.

Here is Iggy's chance to really show where his hitting currently is.  However, if he starts struggling , this isnt a bad reflection on Ferrell, if anything it shows that he needs more development time.

I dont know whether his bat is ready or not.  I know that Id take .235 from Iggy over .265 from Drew.  The power is a good sign, it shows that he's learning how to drive the ball, which a major league hitter needs to be able to do when ahead in the count.  

I'd like to see a batting average of .285 by May 15.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Many people are shocked at my claim that Iggy might make 60-100+ more plays over 150 games than Drew.  Every year, the same SSs make 100-120 more plays over the worst ranged SS in MLB. Since it doesn't show up in the mornings box score, it can't count, right?

Mazz estimated the number to be about 20....Take that as you will.  The problem is fielding stats stink, so its very hard to quantify the number of outs that Iggy makes that Drew wouldnt.  If it was easily quantifiable , it would be a simple comparison

How many more hits will Drew have vs how many more putouts will Iggy have

Because the second half of that equation is much harder to quantify than the first, the first half gets more weight.  I dont agree with this, but I understand it.

Personally, I would put my number (number of outs that Drew wont make that Iggy would) somewhere around 40.

Number would be much higher if we called up Webster (sinkrball pitcher)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It's nice to hear that Iggy is performing well. I heard he said that he has never felt better than he does now in an interview yesterday.  He seems less discouraged by his demotion and more encouraged to get back.  The kid has a very strong work ethic, and has shown the want and ability to get better......he will hit...Iggy will hit. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Thank you....  With the return of Papi, (if he comes back at all) look for the speed of the team to go away too........   Defense & speed is a pitchers best friend !!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

He sounded very honest and very mature in his interview. Said he was a little disappointed, but now he just needs to work harder in the cage and at the plate. Hes going to be the SS here for a long time IMO and I cant wait.

Its understandable why they got Drew, but Iggy has looked much better compared to last year where he looked totally over matched. I remember some of the same posters whining about Drew this year saying Iggy would never hit MLB pitching last year. too funny

Drew has already made a nice defensive play and got on base 3 times last night. Hopefully he does very well and Iggy does too so we can make a trade and bring Iggy back up.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Thank you....  With the return of Papi, (if he comes back at all) look for the speed of the team to go away too........   Defense & speed is a pitchers best friend !!!

Three run home-runs help pitchers too.  I have tremendous respect for you Bill, but Papi returning is a good thing.  He was our best hitter in 2012.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Three run home-runs help pitchers too.  I have tremendous respect for you Bill, but Papi returning is a good thing.  He was our best hitter in 2012.

Before the HEEL blew out !!!   The HEEL, is standard equipment for ML baseball players !!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Other prospects news.  Cecchini is on fire with Salem RS, Boggy struggling early at the plate, Webster crusing and next in line to be called up if necessary, Barnes was limited to 1 inning of work due to high pitch count, Owens was strong in his 1st start at Salem (no runs allowed in 5 IP), Brentz showing he can handle upper level pitchers but still not walking, Ranaudo was great in his 1st start and once again giving us hope that he can live up to his hype, big man Brian Johnson had his solid 1st start with Greenville.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Before the HEEL blew out !!!   The HEEL, is standard equipment for ML baseball players !!!

I agree.  If he comes back and the heel clearly affects him, we'll have to reassess.  But we just dropped 32M on this guy.  Thats done.  Im rooting for him to come back, so we can realize (in production) as much of that 32M as possible.

I dont know if the injury will linger or not.  I do know, however, that if he can hit like Papi of 2011 or Papi of 2012, we are better with him than without him.

We cant keep relying on HR's from Nava and 3 HR games from Middlebrooks.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

why didnt you write a thread about the greatplay he made in his first game here? It goes both ways bill...And moon for that matter...I bet neither of you though Drew would make that play. you might have to adjust your thinking now...

Almost all MLB SSs make some very good plays from time to time. I didn't mention it, because Iggy would have made the play as well.

It's not about Drew for me; it's about Iggy being fantastic! I could wonder why you don't think as highly of Iggy as I do and surmize you dislike him. I won't do that because it is not true, so pelase stop acting like I hate Drew. Some like softy do, but not me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

BILL, papi is a DH, so his return will not affect our defense, unless they demote JBJ.

Gomes is not much faster than Papi.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The problem with the Iggy-Drew debate is that it is hard to quantify. The Iggy supporters will look at any ball that goes between third and SS or up the middle by Drew as a ball Iggy would have gotten so they often bloat the number of more plays Iggy makes. 

I do, however, believe that it is hard to quantify the advantage Iggy gives, especially because Drew is an above average defensive SS -- or has been in the past when healthy. If it was a stiff out there, then the advantage would be greater.

So then it becomes a guessing game. Is Drew going to be closer to his prime offensively and defensively and is Iggy more like the overmatched hitter he was last September than what he showed in his first seven games. If the answer is yes, then Drew is the easy choice.

But if Drew isn't quite what he was in his prime and Iggy has improved, it's a judgement call of when the scale starts to change in Iggy's favor.

I think it was a no-brainer to send Iggy down. If he struggles, it shows he wasn't ready. And if it affects him mentally, again, it shows that he can't handle it. If he does well, then it only helps the Sox down the road. If Drew struggles or gets hurt, it's an easy call-up. If Drew does well, then it gives the Sox potential trade value, knowing they could get something for him and still have Iggy to bring in at SS.

To me, Iggy didn't show me anything last year to warrent the idea of not signing anyone for SS and simply handing him the job. The notion that you learn to hit at the major league level is ridiculous. That's not to say that because Iggy is so great defensivley that the Sox couldn't live with a SS batting around .230, but there was great question after last year whether he could do that.

So I don't understand the impatience of those not wanting to give him more time to become a better hitter.

25. This post has been removed.