Our Fifth Year of Decline...enough - get a new regime...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Our Fifth Year of Decline...enough - get a new regime...

Facts are facts..we have declined each year since our 2007 victory yet our payroll has skyrocketed...

We are playing a boring brand of uninspired baseball due to the sabermetric nonsense of our brainthrust and the compliant excuse-making manager...

Cut bait and get rid of the manager, GM (trust me he is gone after this year regardless) and start rebuidling the pitching staff...

Say good bye to the veterans like Papi, Tek, and Wake and invest in youth...it wont be pretty the first few years but the aim is to be like Tampa Bay with deeper pockets to keep our young players. I could care less what our record is next year as long as we are young, lean, hungry, and improving.

Watching this group of overpaid, overweight zombies makes my belly churn. Honestly we are better off not making the playoffs if this results in keeping Francona, Lackey, Theo, Wake, Tek, etc.

I understand folks who say this is nuts - making the playoffs keeps us in the thick of things and we could get healthy and lucky at the same time. I doubt it however...plus I REFUSE to root for the Yankees....I don't care what the circumstances are.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Our Fifth Year of Decline...enough - get a new regime...

Wasn't that supposed to be the Year of Bridge, 2010?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxyinworc. Show soxyinworc's posts

In Response to Our Fifth Year of Decline...enough - get a new regime...:
    Facts are facts..we have declined each year since our 2007 victory yet our payroll has skyrocketed... We are playing a boring brand of uninspired baseball due to the sabermetric nonsense of our brainthrust and the compliant excuse-making manager... Cut bait and get rid of the manager, GM (trust me he is gone after this year regardless) and start rebuidling the pitching staff... Say good bye to the veterans like Papi, Tek, and Wake and invest in youth...it wont be pretty the first few years but the aim is to be like Tampa Bay with deeper pockets to keep our young players. I could care less what our record is next year as long as we are young, lean, hungry, and improving. Watching this group of overpaid, overweight zombies makes my belly churn. Honestly we are better off not making the playoffs if this results in keeping Francona, Lackey, Theo, Wake, Tek, etc. I understand folks who say this is nuts - making the playoffs keeps us in the thick of things and we could get healthy and lucky at the same time. I doubt it however...plus I REFUSE to root for the Yankees....I don't care what the circumstances are.
    Posted by georom4

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

You gotta admit though the injuries the past two years have been devastating.  We really miss Youk now, and had we had a healthy Youk Buch and Dice K this season we'd be there with the Yanks & maybe past them.  But that's part of your point, especially with Youk--not staying in shape and prone to injury.  And it wouldn't make me cry if they cut Tito, he's great with the personalities of the players but he's a lousy game manager.  Like to keep Papi another year, he's been really good, doesn't look finished by any means.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxyinworc. Show soxyinworc's posts

I totally agree!!!!   Tito and Theo are killing this team!!!In Response to Our Fifth Year of Decline...enough - get a new regime...:
    Facts are facts..we have declined each year since our 2007 victory yet our payroll has skyrocketed... We are playing a boring brand of uninspired baseball due to the sabermetric nonsense of our brainthrust and the compliant excuse-making manager... Cut bait and get rid of the manager, GM (trust me he is gone after this year regardless) and start rebuidling the pitching staff... Say good bye to the veterans like Papi, Tek, and Wake and invest in youth...it wont be pretty the first few years but the aim is to be like Tampa Bay with deeper pockets to keep our young players. I could care less what our record is next year as long as we are young, lean, hungry, and improving. Watching this group of overpaid, overweight zombies makes my belly churn. Honestly we are better off not making the playoffs if this results in keeping Francona, Lackey, Theo, Wake, Tek, etc. I understand folks who say this is nuts - making the playoffs keeps us in the thick of things and we could get healthy and lucky at the same time. I doubt it however...plus I REFUSE to root for the Yankees....I don't care what the circumstances are.
    Posted by georom4

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

Posted by georom4

Excellent point, which many seem to overlook--the Sox play a very unentertaining brand of baseball. Who wants to watch a team that virtually NEVER comes from behind (2-61 trailing in the 8th?). Is it really that much fun to watch them win 18-9 games? There does not seem to be much heart in this team, and I do blame the manager for that. But regardless of who is to blame (most threads seem to target Tito, Theo, Lackey, Crawford, etc.), the bottom line is they are just not that entertaining, and more than a little frustrating (Drew, et al). Not sure what the FO is thinking, but Tito clearly has not come to understand that he cannot get production out of this particular team by just playing the role of Friend and Buddy, rather than demanding a little accountability for all the millions these guys are taking home.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gareman2. Show gareman2's posts

Posted by georom4

Interesting, albeit negative thoughts.  But how is this the FIFTH year of decline?  2007 was only four yrs ago.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

pschuller, i know you don't I?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

08,09,10,11...4th Year of Decline...d'oh!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

In Response to Re: Our Fifth Year of Decline...enough - get a new regime...:
    pschuller, i know you don't I?
    Posted by dannycater

Could be. From where?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Really, what is the cost of developing a prospect vs. a 10m-14m a year contract for a vet? or should I put it. How many prospects could the Sox develop if they dumped 50 million payroll over the next few years...

3x as many as the Rays?
    5x as many as the Rays?

You would think something good could com eout of those numbers even if we have inferior talent evaluators.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Senior Advisor/Baseball operations and his crew needs to be let go.This experiment has failed. Get baseball people to run this OP, not metric geeks. The RS have to be the laughing stock of MLB. I'm voting for TF as MOY this year because nobody blew up their team more than TF. "T", thats what you get when you sell out and that's the BIG PICTURE.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

08,09,10,11...4th Year of Decline...d'oh!
    Posted by dannycater

im sorry, what i meant was a high point from 5 seasons ago....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Response to Re: Our Fifth Year of Decline...enough - get a new regime... : Could be. From where?
    Posted by pschuller

brass...top?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Response to Re: Our Fifth Year of Decline...enough - get a new regime... : im sorry, what i meant was a high point from 5 seasons ago....
    Posted by georom4

geo, it's all fun, well not watching the Sox, but this board. no worries.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The Sox started 2-10 and then went 8-1.

The Offense is fine.  The starting pitching has been bad.  The BP has been unlucky.  The BP looks tight to me - pitching not to lose rather than pitching to win. 

If the BP can find itself, the team will make the post season.  If Beckett and Lester can pitch like they should be able to, the team will do some damage in the post season.  If Bedard can pitch like he did in May and June, the Sox will go to the WS.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

DWL.....Lot of "If's" in there.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mwTessie. Show mwTessie's posts

The Sox started 2-10 and then went 8-1. The Offense is fine.  The starting pitching has been bad.  The BP has been unlucky.  The BP looks tight to me - pitching not to lose rather than pitching to win.  If the BP can find itself, the team will make the post season.  If Beckett and Lester can pitch like they should be able to, the team will do some damage in the post season.  If Bedard can pitch like he did in May and June, the Sox will go to the WS.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

Kind of like he did last night against the Baltimore Freaking Orioles?  This isn't a bash on you as I do like your optimism.  However, these last few games have been of playoff importance, and nobody on this team has stepped up to help right the ship.  I was hopping it would be Beckett last night, but he too fell way short of the mark.  Lester hasn't done his job either lately. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

if all the teams were perfect....they'd all win the World Series.....we contend each year.......remember pre-championship years????

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from deroty. Show deroty's posts

Could not have said it better.  In fact have been saying the same thing since 2008.  

However, as long as this business keeps making tons of money, things will not change.  Ultimately, the fans control the product they buy.  

Keep paying the highest ticket prices in professional sports and you will continue to get what you see.  

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Well aside from the math is 4 years, some of that was to be expected. The fact that the RS have remained as competitive as they have is in part because they have spent a boat load of money. But when you do that you are going to get the risks associated with signing players 30 and beyond too.

But let's level set a few things about the 2007 team.

Key guys were getting old. Lowell (MVP WS), Manny and Schilling are gone from the game, Varitek a aged back-up catcher now. Drew was in the back years of prime. Those are some pretty big holes to fill.

The RS record hasn't been all that different since 2007. In 07 they won 96 games. In 08 and 09 they won 95. In 10 they had a slew of injuries and won 89 and this year they will win maybe 92 games with a slew of pitching injuries.

This I dare say is not sharp decline. The injuries the last two years have been unfortunate. But so is the George Steinbrenner mentality in much of RS Nation.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Naturally, a team will decline after winning the World Series unless they repeat. So I don't consider the '08 season a "decline." We were beaten by a really good Rays team that had homefield in the 7th game.

I essentially throw out the '10 season because of all the injuries. No way we could overcome losing Pedey, Youk and Ellsbury (you see what he means now) among others.

That said, the '09 and '11 seasons were collosal disappointments.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Tampa wins! Tampa Wins!

I think they have been playing .600 ball all month, and here we have to have our .300 team play the division champ all weekend.

Sections
Shortcuts