Our future leadoff hitter/Cf is...........Rusney Castillo?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Our future leadoff hitter/Cf is...........Rusney Castillo?

The more and more I think about, the more signing rusney castillo makes a lot of sense for the sox. As it stands right now, we still don’t have a real leadoff hitter for next season. Holt has done well as a fill it but has really regressed post all-star break and is likely not a future starter on this team. (nor is he defensively suited for CF) Jackie Bradley has shown the ability to be an elite level defender in Cf but cannot seem to figure out how to hit major league pitching and thus his future is in doubt. Mookie betts is fairly raw in Cf as he has spent the majority of his career as a 2B. Enter rusney castillo. He’s 27 and is the kind of guy who can step in right away, his skill set has been described as brett gardner with more power. I would say that profiles pretty well as a leadoff hitter. He’s fast, is know for his high level defensive ability and hits for contact and power. Sounds pretty good to me. And if our goal is to have the team ready to go for 2015 (i.e. a quick rebuild), then signing a guy who can step in right away makes sense rather than waiting on prospects. Our line up would look something like this:

R.Castillo (Cf)

D.Pedroia (2b)

Y.Cespedes (Rf)

D.Ortiz (Dh)

M.Napoli (1b)

A.Craig (Lf)

X.Bogaerts (SS)

W.Middlbrooks (3b)

C.Vasquez (C)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Our future leadoff hitter/Cf is...........Rusney Castillo?

hELP ME OUT HERE.....  WHAT TEAM DOES HE PLAY FOR NOW & WHAT COUNTRY IS HE FROM ????

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Hes cuban and I think having cespedes on the team may help us land him. Apparently we are going pretty hard after him accord to various reports. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

hELP ME OUT HERE.....  WHAT TEAM DOES HE PLAY FOR NOW & WHAT COUNTRY IS HE FROM ????

[/QUOTE]

Another cuban defector... With all the success teams have been having lately with international players, the sox should consider getting in on the act.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I think you would find  Mookie Betts would do just fine as our leadoff guy.

We have been fortunate that Holt has done the job he has but leading off has been a natural position for Betts his entire career.

Leadoff, if I'm not mistaken has been a lineup position JBJ has seen a lot of time at.

So you have multiple choices. It's like Farrell does not believe a rookie can fill that position. It must be that Manager John is a pitcher. Another manager might go with the experience of Betts or JBJ especially with Holt starting to scuffle a bit.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

not sure who /why this thread was bumped

but sounds like U can bid on him until friday

and he should decide next week

and 4 added fun he is a jayz guy

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

So we are going with 1 lefty in the lineup?

And I'm not so sure they will put a player without any MLB experience at lead off spot right out of the gate.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Last I heard the Yankees were negotiating with him, which seems odd as he has to be bid upon first so take that with a grain of salt.

The yankees want him to play 2nd base....if the Yankees want him, they will probably get him. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The more and more I think about, the more signing rusney castillo makes a lot of sense for the sox. As it stands right now, we still don’t have a real leadoff hitter for next season. Holt has done well as a fill it but has really regressed post all-star break and is likely not a future starter on this team. (nor is he defensively suited for CF) Jackie Bradley has shown the ability to be an elite level defender in Cf but cannot seem to figure out how to hit major league pitching and thus his future is in doubt. Mookie betts is fairly raw in Cf as he has spent the majority of his career as a 2B. Enter rusney castillo. He’s 27 and is the kind of guy who can step in right away, his skill set has been described as brett gardner with more power. I would say that profiles pretty well as a leadoff hitter. He’s fast, is know for his high level defensive ability and hits for contact and power. Sounds pretty good to me. And if our goal is to have the team ready to go for 2015 (i.e. a quick rebuild), then signing a guy who can step in right away makes sense rather than waiting on prospects. Our line up would look something like this:

R.Castillo (Cf)

D.Pedroia (2b)

Y.Cespedes (Rf)

D.Ortiz (Dh)

M.Napoli (1b)

A.Craig (Lf)

X.Bogaerts (SS)

W.Middlbrooks (3b)

C.Vasquez (C)

[/QUOTE]

Middlebrooks huh? Take a mulligan and do it again.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

When is this dude going to make up his mind?  Every day I read about another private workout.  Jayz is the next Boras anyway, stay away.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I heard some scouts were disappointed at his showcase last month.  He had people who would run up and feed him water after every play/at bat.  And when he took fly balls in the outfield his trainers would tell him to hold back and not go after some balls that he might of had a chance at catching.  One scout reportedly said after the incident "If I was trying to get to the majors I'd be running like hell at every ball hit to me" very disappointing to some who flew thousands of miles to see him play, and most of the catches he made were balls hit right at him.  His arm is also his weakest tool so while he does have speed his arm would play better in LF.  While he looked good at the plate, his results were much more modest when he faced off against a collegiate pitcher during live BP.

He's also a CF/2nd type....and we already have Betts and Holt who fit that description. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

here's a link

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/rusney-castillo-wows-miami-workout/

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Mookie Betts our lead off hitter on OD 2015?  if he's not traded.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Rather get Despaigne, add some serious Power to this team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Rather get Despaigne, add some serious Power to this team.

[/QUOTE]

Despaigne has more raw power than Abreu and Cespedes, but everyone questions whether or not he can hit.

If RAW power made someone a baseball player then WMB would be the best player on this team.  Despaigne has big holes in his swing, is not patient at all, and has an all out hack at the plate.  Abreu is succesful not just because of his power but because of his swing and overall ability to hit the baseball.  I'm not sure Alfredo can be that guy...if he was I'm sure he'd be in America making millions. 

There is a reason he is playing in Japan and not in America, he has serious swing and miss in him.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/alfredo-despaigne-play-japan/

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Another cuban defector... With all the success teams have been having lately with international players, the sox should consider getting in on the act.

[/QUOTE]

So the Sox should be chasing mixed results?

Not everyone from Cuba is Yasiel Puig or Jose Dariel Abreu.   Castillo looks a lot more like Alexander Guerrero than either of those two...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Here this is what they did in their career in Cuba, all 3 Cespedes, Abreu, Despaigne. Abreu K'd more in less at bats..http://battingleadoff.com/2014/06/03/awesome-stat-lines-around-world-alfredo-despaigne/" rel="nofollow">http://battingleadoff.com/2014/06/03/awesome-stat-lines-around-world-alfredo-despaigne/" rel="nofollow">http://battingleadoff.com/2014/06/03/awesome-stat-lines-around-world-alfredo-despaigne/

Where you keep hearing Despaigne, is not as good as Abreu? Every article on the 2 are compared side-by side.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Another one who I wouldn't mind is Yasmani Tomas, and he just defected. Castillo got dropped from the Cuban team in 2013 for the WBC, and Tomas was added. Another Powerhouse and young too, only 23.
    Puig would have had a hard time starting on the Cuban National Team for the WBC that year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

I've heard various things from Badler and other scouts.....read the link I posted.  Again if we are talking about Raw tools, then yes Despaigne should be the next Abreu, but if raw tools was all a player needed then Will Middlebrooks would be the next Babe Ruth.  Depaigne has insane stupidly good massive power, but he has major holes in his swing.  You cant' just expect a guy who is in his late 20's to go from Cuban pitching to MLB pitching, change his swing, and not struggle.

He might not ever get it.  Everybody loves power, and he has it....but power means nothing if you can't hit MLB pitching.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

When it comes to the international market, Ben Badler and baseball America is the gold standard for information on these guys.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Mookie can handle the leadoff spot and play anyplace as long as it's with the parent Red Sox club.

Continue playing him inCF or try him at 3 B if you are insistent on keeping Xander at SS.

Go back in his career and he's a leadoff batter with more pop than Brock and  better base stealing ability than Brock and JBJ.

Betts CF, Holt 3 B, Pedroia 2b, Cespy RF, Ortiz, Nap1 B, Craig lf, Xander SS and Vazquez C.

Try the lineup after  Craig is back from the DL and Betts is called up, stick with  it for 30 days and see what happens…

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

It's worth noting that a lot of the same things that are being said now about Despaigne (he won't hit major league pitching, etc.) were also said about Abreu prior to this year. Cespedes and Puig also came with their caveats and naysayers. Of course, there have been plenty of Cuban/foreign players who turned out to be busts, or at least haven't done much to justify their hype, as well.

Despaigne, Castillo, Tomas...I have no earthly idea whether these guys are worth it or not, and neither does anyone else here in all likelihood. I can only ask that the Red Sox do their due diligence and, if they look legitimate, go for it.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's worth noting that a lot of the same things that are being said now about Despaigne (he won't hit major league pitching, etc.) were also said about Abreu prior to this year. Cespedes and Puig also came with their caveats and naysayers. Of course, there have been plenty of Cuban/foreign players who turned out to be busts, or at least haven't done much to justify their hype, as well.

Despaigne, Castillo, Tomas...I have no earthly idea whether these guys are worth it or not, and neither does anyone else here in all likelihood. I can only ask that the Red Sox do their due diligence and, if they look legitimate, go for it.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

[/QUOTE]

This is true, but the consensus is there is an obvious drop off from abreu's bat to Despiagne's bat.  At least in terms of ability to hit good pitching.  I think people get caught up in the name and the hype of being a Cuban.  People remember Cespedes, Puig, and Abreu, but people forget the Michel Abreu's, Dariel Alvarez's, and countless other Cuban defectors who never really turned into stars.

There have been about a dozen recent defects who have made their MLB debut the past 2 seasons, yet I bet most people in here could only name 2 of them without looking it up.  My point is, the list of guys who don't make it is much larger than the ones who do.

Yes, he could be great, but he could be a huge bust as well....and he comes with red flags. I'd rather go after Tomas and Castillo, who have better all around tools and are also younger and might have a better chance at success even if they are eaten up by MLB pitching right off the bat.