Our future leadoff hitter/Cf is...........Rusney Castillo?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Re: Our future leadoff hitter/Cf is...........Rusney Castillo?

Looks like they are all-in.  

Bradley may very well  end up as part of a deal to land a pitcher.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like the intensity Cuban players, play with. All you lose is cash, never know, with Castillo. Still think, if not Despaigne, Tomas is the man. They should be all over this kid. Younger more power, better player, way more upside. He just defected, unless he signed with someone else, and got by me. He's was one of their up and coming stars. WBC he kicked but.

[/QUOTE]

Betts will be infinitely cheaper than Castillo for the next few seasons...

[/QUOTE]

Is it an "either or"? Seems we could keep both of them and trade some other players to make room

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Sure is room for Mookie and Castillo.

Why can't they stop messing with the young player, and play them in their positions?  Why screw with Betts and 'Xander? Maybe they are lulled into the 'success' they had in turning Bard into a starter. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Jared Carrabis @Jared_Carrabis · 15m

The latest update is that the Phillies are the favorites to sign Rusney Castillo, per @GeorgeAKingIII.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The latest update is that the Phillies are the favorites to sign Rusney Castillo, per @GeorgeAKingIII.

[/QUOTE]

That is a report that is not universally shared, and according to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com the Phillies are "long shots" to land Castillo.

It seems that anytime there is a high profile player such as Castillo on the verge of signing with a Major league team there is a different "favorite" to sign him every day. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we hear the Tigers are the favorite to land him later tonight and then then Yankees are on the verge of getting a deal done tomorrow.  In the end we will just have to wait.

FWIW It does appear that the re-occurring teams connected to him seem to be NYY, Boston, Detroit, and Philly. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

I want him even though we will have to endure all those threads about how the Sox are spending "our" money, no matter the cost.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That is a report that is not universally shared, and according to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com the Phillies are "long shots" to land Castillo.

It seems that anytime there is a high profile player such as Castillo on the verge of signing with a Major league team there is a different "favorite" to sign him every day. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we hear the Tigers are the favorite to land him later tonight and then then Yankees are on the verge of getting a deal done tomorrow.  In the end we will just have to wait.

agreed

FWIW It does appear that the re-occurring teams connected to him seem to be NYY, Boston, Detroit, and Philly. 

depending on the numbers I would think philly would be his last choice

heck he could pick the tigers and have a pretty good chance to go to the WS in a month plus

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

agreed

heck he could pick the tigers and have a pretty good chance to go to the WS in a month plus

[/QUOTE]

That's one thing I don't get.  I don't know why so many are convinced he will be MLB ready, let alone ready to compete in the playoffs in a matter of weeks.

Not only has he not ever seen MLB pitching, but he's been out of pro ball in general for months now....I'd think he'd need more time to get going.  Even if he is legit and MLB ready I'd think he'd be rusty and would need time to adjust.

If I was an MLB team going after him, I wouldn't be assuming he could help us in any way this postseason.....but what do I know.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

That's one thing I don't get.  I don't know why so many are convinced he will be MLB ready, let alone ready to compete in the playoffs in a matter of weeks.

Not only has he not ever seen MLB pitching, but he's been out of pro ball in general for months now....I'd think he'd need more time to get going.  Even if he is legit and MLB ready I'd think he'd be rusty and would need time to adjust.

If I was an MLB team going after him, I wouldn't be assuming he could help us in any way this postseason.....but what do I know.

no doubt it sounds like and is wishful thinking

but if 1 is desperate enough isn't getting much

from a position like tigers/CF nyy/ 2B

give him a couple of week in the minors

add some serious adrenaline an I guess it's worth a shot

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Yanks notes: Passing on Cuban star Castillo
    August 19, 2014 Last updated: Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 1:21 AM
    The Record
    Print

Pass on Castillo

The Yankees have ended any pursuit of Cuban outfielder/second baseman Rusney Castillo, according to an industry source. Castillo’s power-and-speed element has him linked to interest by several other clubs, including Boston and Detroit, though he remains a long shot to join a contending team before the Aug. 31 playoff roster freeze due to visa issues. For the Yanks, Castillo’s potential salary — possibly in the $10 million-per-year-or-greater range — would have come with a hefty luxury-tax hit.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

agreed

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Funny you mention that.  I was thinking the same thing, especially since I keep noticing the phrasing -  that Castillo "would be eligible to play in the post-season" if he signs quickly.    Big deal, same thing can be said about me.  But it doesn't mean I'm going to be able to hit anything. 

No one says he is ready, just eligible...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like the intensity Cuban players, play with. All you lose is cash, never know, with Castillo. Still think, if not Despaigne, Tomas is the man. They should be all over this kid. Younger more power, better player, way more upside. He just defected, unless he signed with someone else, and got by me. He's was one of their up and coming stars. WBC he kicked but.

[/QUOTE]

Betts will be infinitely cheaper than Castillo for the next few seasons...

[/QUOTE]

Is it an "either or"? Seems we could keep both of them and trade some other players to make room

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

[/QUOTE]

Well, it might become an either / or since we only need one CF and neither of these guys can pitch...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

bump

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

reportedly the Cubs, Yankees, and Phillies are out of it and his decision is coming down to the Red Sox, Tigers, and Giants....and the Sox seem to be the favorites.

Of course, these things seem to be ever changing up until the wire, but we are on the verge of him signing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If Sox sign Castillo, do you think Betts will definitely be used in a trade this off-season?  Victorino is another strong trade candidate even though his season ended already.  

"There is no try.  Do or Don't"

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Sox sign Castillo, do you think Betts will definitely be used in a trade this off-season?  Victorino is another strong trade candidate even though his season ended already.  

[/QUOTE]

Castillo hasn't played in organizational baseball in over several months let alone seen a pitch in pro ball states wide.  Cuba is probably equivalent to High A ball, although guys like Castillo get looks against better competition on the international circuit.  Still it would be naive to give up Betts (in my opinion) with such a short look at Castillo. 

I like Castillo, I'm hopeful and will be happy when we get him.  But not ever guy out of Cuba is going to be star.  The recent track record is good, but I'm starting to fear that that is building up a false sense of security and sooner or later one of these guys is going to be a complete bust. 

Also Castillo is viewed by some as an infielder as well who can play 2nd and 3B.  Perhaps the Sox want to give JBj more time to work on his bat and develop Betts in CF with Castillo at 3B.  And if Bradley figures it out I'm sure there will be a spot for him and if he doesn't then he'd still be a very valuable 4th 5th defensive outfielder who can play all 3 positions.

But I don't think Castillo spells the end of Betts. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NLU75. Show NLU75's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]i agree with you, he hasn't played in a long time  its possible he might not be ready for opening day 2015

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

agreed

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

now Tigers seem fav to sign Castillo??

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MFelder. Show MFelder's posts

I dunno, my money is on this kid ;)

http://bit.ly/1yYi1xq

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Are they? last I heard it was the Sox, Tigers, Giants as the front runner without a clear front runner named.

Of course with how fast everything moves, and how little we actually know....who knows who truly is the front runner at this point.  For all we know he's negotiating a deal with a mystery team right now. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Are they? last I heard it was the Sox, Tigers, Giants as the front runner without a clear front runner named.

Of course with how fast everything moves, and how little we actually know....who knows who truly is the front runner at this point.  For all we know he's negotiating a deal with a mystery team right now. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

If the Tigers are confident visa issue could be resolved quickly and get him in the action before Aug. 31st, they could be willing to go little extra which Castillo would want to see happen.  Maybe they weren't hesitant parting with AJax for Price deal because they were comfortable with what they saw in Castillo?  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

mlbtraderumors.com reports Red Sox, Giants, and Tigers are front-runners on Castillo.  Guess there's still no clear favorite to sign him.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

If the Tigers are confident visa issue could be resolved quickly and get him in the action before Aug. 31st, they could be willing to go little extra which Castillo would want to see happen.  Maybe they weren't hesitant parting with AJax for Price deal because they were comfortable with what they saw in Castillo?  

[/QUOTE]

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'm trying to understand why a team would think like that.

When is the last time Castillo played in a game??? Expecting Castillo to contribute in the playoffs would be like expecting your #1 prospect who has been in high A, maybe AA all year but hasn't played in a baseball game since the spring to come up and not only not be rusty but do it at a level he's not before.

That doesn't make sense to me.  Perhaps if the Tigers are THAT confident in his abilities they would be willing to go the extra mile.  But then again if he was considered to be that good I would think his bidding would reach Tanaka territory.....then again, I guess it's probably easier to scout international pitching than it is to scout international hitting. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

If any team would go that little extra, I think it's the Sox.  They have the need (both on and off field) similar to when they signed Dice-K and plenty of $.  It's not like Castillo or his agent would expect them to be doormats long.  Plus there would be no rush to into shape.  If I were new to a situation, the last thing I'd want is to be rushed in.